PDA

View Full Version : Light bulbs, China, and how .gov will cost you even more in 2012

Moose-Knuckle
09-18-11, 02:22
China Consolidates Grip on Rare Earths

BEIJING — In the name of fighting pollution, China has sent the price of compact fluorescent light bulbs soaring in the United States.

China produces nearly 95 percent of the world’s rare earth materials. . .

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/China-Consolidates-Grip-on-nytimes-2650144197.html?x=0&.v=1

Effective 01 January 2011 HR 6, The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 will start requiring consumers to switch from traditional incandescent bulbs.

http://energy.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=IssueItems.Detail&IssueItem_ID=f10ca3dd-fabd-4900-aa9d-c19de47df2da&Month=12&Year=2007

"Those are governed best who are governed least."
- Thomas Jefferson

skyugo
09-18-11, 13:32
ah more ridiculous legislation...
incan bulbs were/are about to die a natural death. in 5 years you'll be able to buy an LED bulb that uses less power than a flourescent, gives off better light than anything, and lasts 50,000 hours. it'll cost 5 bucks. why would anyone want incandescent bulbs with that technology available?
instead we're being forced to buy up the last of the toxic waste bulbs brilliant. :rolleyes:

Abraxas
09-18-11, 20:12
incan bulbs were/are about to die a natural death. in 5 years you'll be able to buy an LED bulb that uses less power than a flourescent, gives off better light than anything, and lasts 50,000 hours. it'll cost 5 bucks. why would anyone want incandescent bulbs with that technology available?

I am looking forward to that

oef24
09-18-11, 21:48
I too cant' wait for LED bulbs to become the norm. Today, they are very expensive. I purchased a pair of candelabra LED bulbs that were over $20 each.

O

Moose-Knuckle
09-19-11, 02:21
CFL Hazards

http://www.wattworks.com/CFL%20Hazards.htm

glockeyed
09-19-11, 05:59
and the fact that the CHL ive used suck ass. all of mine have to warm up a bit. sure they are "on" but not bright at first. i usually turn them on ahead of time so they are warmed up before i go in.

Eurodriver
09-19-11, 08:23
Energy efficient lights make everyplace I go to look like a high school gymnasium with that dull, white look to it.

Either way, the .gov shouldn't be telling me I can't buy anything. Thats what really scares me.

What's next?

Belmont31R
09-19-11, 12:47
I hate CFL bulbs. We have some 100W equivalent ones in our bathroom and they take 2-3 minutes to fully brighten up if they have been off for a while.

Honu
09-19-11, 15:36
I hate CFL but they do have instant on now and they have gotten a lot better ?

but lets see GOV idiots
destroy business and jobs made in the US and import from China ? where are the green peace hippy climate change idiots ?

pollutions and mining to make CFL and then ship them around the world on container ships more pollution ? come on climate change people where are you on this ? OH does not fit the agenda !

then again GE can keep outsourcing more to china and be in charge of US job creation while doing the opposite ?

we do have them in our house ? but I hate to use them but also hate the increase in energy costs we face

cant wait for LED price to drop but I somehow think they will never be that cheap and something is going to get in the way with GOV deciding to correct and control things in their eyes

ForTehNguyen
09-19-11, 18:23
instead we're being forced to buy up the last of the toxic waste bulbs brilliant. :rolleyes:

a problem with LED is they dont work as good when the LEDs are clustered close together, they need to be spread out. This doesnt work out well for trying to retrofit LED bulbs into a socket made for an incandescent. So for LED to be the most effective, completely new lighting fixtures would have to be installed all over the house. Thats a huge expense

Moose-Knuckle
09-20-11, 02:11
Either way, the .gov shouldn't be telling me I can't buy anything. Thats what really scares me.

What's next?

This as they say is a clue. Slippery slope and all.

but lets see GOV idiots
destroy business and jobs made in the US and import from China ? where are the green peace hippy climate change idiots ?

pollutions and mining to make CFL and then ship them around the world on container ships more pollution ? come on climate change people where are you on this ? OH does not fit the agenda !

then again GE can keep outsourcing more to china and be in charge of US job creation while doing the opposite ?

POTUS has enacted new regulations to limit energy production in the name of environmentalism so as to increase the cost of energy consumption.

The deindustrialization of America has led to countless jobs lost yet we pass more legislation forcing us to purchase everyday house hold consumable goods from the Communists.

It's past time that people awake from their slumber.

kmrtnsn
09-20-11, 08:00
You're all aware that this was signed into law by George W. Bush, POTUS 43, right?

Belmont31R
09-20-11, 11:34
You're all aware that this was signed into law by George W. Bush, POTUS 43, right?

Yes....along with NCLB, Patriot Act, Medicare Part D, TARP, and a host of other big government laws & expenditures.

Moose-Knuckle
09-20-11, 12:49

Roger that, in fact the EPA was signed into existence by Nixon, another Republican.

I don't play the party game, their both doing their best to drive us into the ground.

However it is the current sitting POTUS that has made it more expensive to buy energy due to the closing of coal plants.

Honu
09-20-11, 14:12

and why I say choosing republican or democrat is like asking if you want to be hit in the right side of the face or the left side of the face ? when you dont want to be hit at all !!!

Belmont31R
09-20-11, 18:28
Oh I also forgot he signed into law Homeland Security, TSA, and greatly expanded domestic surveillance programs along with internal "security" apparatus in general. Lots of new gov buildings including the ATF's new headquarters which cost over $140 million dollars.

Irish
09-20-11, 18:58
Further down we go... going, going, gone...

glockeyed
09-20-11, 20:39
and why I say choosing republican or democrat is like asking if you want to be hit in the right side of the face or the left side of the face ? when you dont want to be hit at all !!!

love this!:suicide:

Ned Christiansen
09-21-11, 08:28
Yeah, nice bulbs when you are advised to evacuate the room for 15 minutes if you break one.