PDA

View Full Version : Vltor IMOD - Standard vs Clubfoot

snackgunner
09-18-11, 08:38
Ran a search here and didnt find a thread on the benefits or downsides between the Vltor Imod Standard and Clubfoot stocks. But reading up Vltors website is says the "Clubfoot portion of the stock allows the shooter, with his/her off hand, to support the stock and to control the rear of the weapon, while shooting in prone or rested position".

Im wondering if the Clubfoot stock is meant for precision applications or if it would also make sense to go with the Clubfoot stock on a SBR.
Ive decided to go with the Vltor IMOD stock on my 12.5" SBR, but not sure if I should go with clubfoot or standard.

Im sure theres no weight difference between the two, so is there any downside when going with the Clubfoot?

Ive read in another thread that with the Clubfoot stock, changing the buttpad is not an option. Is this not the case with the Standard? And is the Vltor IMODs buttpad similar to magpuls enhanced buttpad?

I dont want this thread to turn into a vltor IMOD/EMOD vs magpul CTR/ACS stock thread. Im just wondering about the difference in the buttpad thickness and comfort here.

And I would like to know which version of the IMOD stock members prefer more. The Standard or Clubfoot.

Hmac
09-18-11, 10:26
The clubfoot is usually considered to be a sniper stock...I can't see any reason why that stock might be used on an SBR.

As to butt pads, IMHO its purpose is to minimize the stock slipping around on the shoulder...I can't see how butt pad comfort plays any role whatsoever in a minimal-recoil rifle like a 5.56. The Magpul "enhanced" butt pad is hard as, well, a piece of plastic, just thicker. If recoil bothers you, you should be looking at an A5 stock instead.

militarymoron
09-18-11, 10:32
the clubfoot and standard IMODs use the same buttpads, and both are removable. i prefer the standard over the clubfoot except on a SPR-type rifle.

snackgunner
09-18-11, 11:01
The clubfoot is usually considered to be a sniper stock...I can't see any reason why that stock might be used on an SBR.

As to butt pads, IMHO its purpose is to minimize the stock slipping around on the shoulder...I can't see how butt pad comfort plays any role whatsoever in a minimal-recoil rifle like a 5.56. The Magpul "enhanced" butt pad is hard as, well, a piece of plastic, just thicker. If recoil bothers you, you should be looking at an A5 stock instead.

They SBR is actually going to be my wifes. Which is why I'm trying to make it is comfortable and pleasing for her as I can. I say I'm building an SBR or the SBR is mine because ill probably end up shooting it more than her anyway:D

The stock on my rifle has no buttpad and that's the one my wifes been shooting. She complains of discomfort. I know it shouldn't be a big deal but I'm trying to make her enjoy shooting as much as possible.

Koshinn
09-18-11, 11:13
When I was building a rifle for shooter comfort, I used the vltor a5 buffer spring tube with a magpul stock and enhanced butt pad. Something to consider.

DeltaSierra
09-18-11, 11:31
i prefer the standard over the clubfoot except on a SPR-type rifle.

I'm just curious why you prefer the standard of the clubfoot.

I've only used the club foot, but was sufficiently impressed with it that my next rifle (I ordered it, and am now waiting for it to be put together and shipped) will have the clubfoot stock.

djegators
09-18-11, 11:48
It seems that overall it won't have a huge impact, it is really a matter of personal preference.

Here is what VLTOR says (from their site):

...the IMod is offered in the conventional, “Standard” configuration and the unconventional, “Clubfoot” configuration. Even though the Standard model is the most well-known model amongst the shooting public, the Clubfoot version is a hybrid model that bridges the gap between tactical and prone shooting positions. In other words, the Clubfoot portion of the stock allows the shooter, with his/her off hand, to support the stock and to control the rear of the weapon, while shooting in prone or rested position.

johnson
09-18-11, 13:10
Like their description says, if you do any bench or prone shooting then the clubfoot would be a better choice. What is the downside to buying a clubfoot over a standard?

militarymoron
09-18-11, 14:58
What is the downside to buying a clubfoot over a standard?
the Crye chassis and CPC that have a plate standoff gap between the body and the plate, and i sometimes hook the toe of the standard stock behind the plate. i can't do that with the clubfoot.

kmrtnsn
09-18-11, 15:13
I have both versions of the I-Mod and the E-Mod on my rifles, the other has a Sully. Frankly, I find no benefit to the clubfoot because it lacks the storage of the E-Mod, if it had that, maybe but for me the standard I-Mod is as close to the perfect M-4 Stock as I have seen so far.

krgwag
09-18-11, 20:13
I like the i-mod the best. I don't care for the club foot because of the set length. If I run my PC or vest I usually got a notch or two in.

SomeOtherGuy
09-18-11, 20:22
I like the clubfoot because I'm less likely to bump its latch and slide the stock closed when I don't intend to. Not that that's been a big issue with the conventional latch style.

SteadyUp
09-19-11, 01:20
I own both versions of the IMod, and to be honest, I don't really notice a functional difference between the two unless you're shooting prone, and have a hand hold on the stock. If anything, the standard version is easier to adjust quickly.

Preach
08-12-12, 18:28
Sorry for resurrecting this thread from the dead, but my question relates and I didn't want to start another retread thread. It is my impression that the IMOD Clubfoot (mil-spec) is a little shorter in length than the Standard, is that correct? I've been searching but can't find any written documentation so I thought I'd ask some people with first hand knowledge. Thanks for the help guys.

Col_Crocs
08-12-12, 18:49
Exactly the same length. The clubfoot is simply an Imod variant and that variant being its wider clubfoot-like toe.

Preach
08-12-12, 19:07
Exactly the same length. The clubfoot is simply an Imod variant and that variant being its wider clubfoot-like toe.

A friend of mine got one, and it left some room between the front of the stock and the castle nut when completely collapsed (discernible more than usually seen), but that was a commercial IMOD Clubfoot.

Texas42
08-12-12, 20:03
I bought the clubfoot because I thought I might want it. I saw no downsidte. It probably is six one way, half dozen another for my use.

I think the standard looks better, but I'm usually not that vain.

Grease Monkey
08-12-12, 20:41
Having used both, I prefer the standard version. No real benefit from the clubfoot for me. The little bit of extra plastic didn't make or break it for me shooting in prone. I don't like the adjuster lever either.