PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for S&B 1-8x

amac
09-18-11, 09:44
Recently viewed a youtube video of this thing and it is sweet! What's the hold up on the release? Is anyone taking pre-orders?

bp7178
09-18-11, 09:54
The letter which circulated from Schmidt & Bender said that the scope is at the upper limits of workable technology, and they didn't want to release it until it was perfect.

There are quite a few threads in which the 1-8x is discussed.

Sniper's Hide had a review of an evaluation version with reticle pics. The Mil-Dot CC reticle is incredibly fine at anything under 4x, which almost leaves you with the dot. The German S&B website also lists that the scope is available with the P3 reticle. The bold lines of the P3 would probably make it much more useable under 4x with the dot off.

I would probably wait until the production versions are out and see what users are reporting about them. I have worries that the eye box and exit pupil will be on the small side.

You can find quite a few of the Leupold Mark 8's for sale on the used market...there is a price to pay to be the early adopter of new technology.

Titleist
09-18-11, 13:10
You can find quite a few of the Leupold Mark 8's for sale on the used market...there is a price to pay to be the early adopter of new technology.

Also referred to commonly as 'asshole tax', also with so many being sold used that's what some refer to as "a clue".

Sensei
09-18-11, 19:07
My take on the 1-8X options is as follows:

1) Leupold MK8 CQBSS: Now readily available for about $3K with the TMR reticle which DOES NOT have a daylight visible red dot illumination feature. This really hampers the "CQBness" but it is still built like a tank with excellent glass. The Horus reticle version used by CAG does have a daylight visible circle / dot, but this version is unobtanium for the civilian shooter (you can get them but you have to know someone who knows someone). Put the daylight illumination feature in the TMR reticle and you have my choice for the 1-8X scope if it sells for >$3.1K.

2) S&B: Initial reviews on PRE-PRODUCTION models have excellent glass and construction. There is a daylight visible dot, but the reticle lines are very fine below 4X on the mil dot version. This may not bother the average 3 gunner since you are more likely to use the illuminated dot for targets under 200 meters. The lines are much bolder at 8X where you are most likely to do your ranging in a FFP scope. I agree that the P3 version may solve the issue of thin lines under 4X.

3) Premier: Supposedly now in production, but I've not seen any available at my usual sources. It also has a daylight illumination feature. Mounting options may be a little more limited due to knob placement.

Because the daylight illumination at low magnifications is important to me (and I don't like Horus reticles), I'm holding out for either the S&B or Premier. I may take another look at the CQBSS IF they put the illuminated circle-dot in the TMR reticle.

amac
09-18-11, 19:12
http://youtu.be/PxHWCDP2msE

After viewing this video comparison, I'm sold on the S&B! It looks like a pretty solid scope for my 3gun purposes. If they would only become available sooner!

Titleist
09-18-11, 23:09
I may take another look at the CQBSS IF they put the illuminated circle-dot in the TMR reticle.

I absolutely hated mine. Hated so bad! And knowing Leupold the 'fixed' version will come out with a newly improved higher pricing.

I can wait, and thus the S&B is the one I'll opt for.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-19-11, 03:17
My take on the 1-8X options is as follows:

1) Leupold MK8 CQBSS: Now readily available for about $3K with the TMR reticle which DOES NOT have a daylight visible red dot illumination feature. This really hampers the "CQBness" but it is still built like a tank with excellent glass. The Horus reticle version used by CAG does have a daylight visible circle / dot, but this version is unobtanium for the civilian shooter (you can get them but you have to know someone who knows someone). Put the daylight illumination feature in the TMR reticle and you have my choice for the 1-8X scope if it sells for >$3.1K.

2) S&B: Initial reviews on PRE-PRODUCTION models have excellent glass and construction. There is a daylight visible dot, but the reticle lines are very fine below 4X on the mil dot version. This may not bother the average 3 gunner since you are more likely to use the illuminated dot for targets under 200 meters. The lines are much bolder at 8X where you are most likely to do your ranging in a FFP scope. I agree that the P3 version may solve the issue of thin lines under 4X.

3) Premier: Supposedly now in production, but I've not seen any available at my usual sources. It also has a daylight illumination feature. Mounting options may be a little more limited due to knob placement.

Because the daylight illumination at low magnifications is important to me (and I don't like Horus reticles), I'm holding out for either the S&B or Premier. I may take another look at the CQBSS IF they put the illuminated circle-dot in the TMR reticle.

There is the March 1-10 (don't know much) and there is the IOR (meh) 1-8 that is supposedly out now. Add in a rumored USO 1-8 that will capitalize on the 1-4/1.5-6 SPF/FFP reticle system and you are getting a lot of options, if they come to market.

amac
09-19-11, 07:23
Just got an 18" SPR that needs a good piece of glass. Right now, I'm using a Vortex 1-4. It feels underscoped for the capability of the White Oak barrel. If I get inpatient, I may end up with a Z6i.

post tensioned
09-19-11, 08:09
After waiting and changing my mind repeatedly, I finally got to try the Z6i, really liked it and I bought my own. It is a great scope and I'm happy with the purchase. I'm currently using it on a SR-25 EMC and I have just used it for CQ matches and out to 600 yards so far.

amac
09-19-11, 19:47
The Z6i is a fine scope. A buddy of mine has one and I've put plenty of rounds through it. My problem as a 3gunner is finding the right reticle for CQB and long range. Of all the scopes I've researched, none seem to have "exactly" what I prefer. I'll have to settle for the closest thing. :( The short dot looks pretty damn close to perfect.

bp7178
09-20-11, 08:49
I'll have to settle for the closest thing.

That is a huge bite to have to take on a $2500-2000 scope. I've spent so much money on stuff I ended up not liking, but you don't know until you try.

I ended up buying a 1-4x24 Zenith Short Dot LE with a P3 reticle.

S&B came out with a new version of the Short Dot LE. The newer version satisfied all the gripes I had with the Short Dot LE. Its still second focal plane, which IMO on a 1-4 is ideal. They shortened the tube of it, to be about the same length as the old Short Dot, and now you have more reticle choices. 75gr TAP cam etc. The only thing I would change is I would like to have a mil clicks with a mil reticle. This is on the minor side of my wants, as the elevation turret is marked for meters to work with the cam and with a standard mil-dot reticle (P3)you can hold for wind. Hard to beat that second focal flash dot.

If you live outside of the US, you can get the LE with a CQB reticle, but in the US a FD2, FD7 or P3. I have no idea as to why.

I still think the P3 may be better for dot off shooting. I think there is also something to be said for using the same reticle across multiple scopes. My bolt gun project is next, and I wanted to try to keep things close to each other.

If you live in Canada, you can also get one for about $2200 USD (its $2750 here...) from S&Bs Canadian distributor. They won't sell to anyone in the US.

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/default.asp?Pg=11&do=1&FIID=141

When I called and spoke with the guy at Wolverine, he actually had one with a 62gr cam and a CQB reticle.

post tensioned
09-20-11, 10:51
The Z6i is a fine scope. A buddy of mine has one and I've put plenty of rounds through it. My problem as a 3gunner is finding the right reticle for CQB and long range. Of all the scopes I've researched, none seem to have "exactly" what I prefer. I'll have to settle for the closest thing. :( The short dot looks pretty damn close to perfect.

I know what you mean. To me, the Z6i isn't perfect, and I would like a different reticle and a couple other tweeks, but I think it's still a really great scope and it's the best that's out right now. I figured it would be quite a while before something better came out. I will always have a place for the Z6i if/when I replace it on the EMC for something better. So I guess it depends on how soon you need an optic.

Belmont31R
09-20-11, 11:30
I know what you mean. To me, the Z6i isn't perfect, and I would like a different reticle and a couple other tweeks, but I think it's still a really great scope and it's the best that's out right now. I figured it would be quite a while before something better came out. I will always have a place for the Z6i if/when I replace it on the EMC for something better. So I guess it depends on how soon you need an optic.

Its a hunting scope that works pretty good for these type of applications.

However I either want a reticle I can do hold overs or a turret system which is external at least (and locking too would be nice).

I shot my Short-Dot from CQB to 750 yards just on what the turret was able to adjust for. I don't see how you could really do that with capped hunting type turrets and without a Horus type reticle.

post tensioned
09-20-11, 12:20
Its a hunting scope that works pretty good for these type of applications.

However I either want a reticle I can do hold overs or a turret system which is external at least (and locking too would be nice).

I shot my Short-Dot from CQB to 750 yards just on what the turret was able to adjust for. I don't see how you could really do that with capped hunting type turrets and without a Horus type reticle.

My Z6i has the BRT reticle (tree style), it will allow me to shoot to 600 yards, with wind holds for 10 and 20 mph as well.