PDA

View Full Version : A2 Buttstocks

steelonsteel
09-18-11, 22:34
I know that most of us get particular about our M4 type stocks/parts. I don't seem to find much on A2 tpye stuff though.

I'm needing an A2 stock and set up.

I seem to only be able to find Rock River, Armalite, and DPMS. Cav arms makes some, although apparently the buttplate and trap door assembly is usless, and by the time you fix it ywith new parts and shipping ou've damn near doubled the cost of the set. I can;t bring myself to do DPMS - it might be allright, but I just can't. Teh armalite is expensive, but the RRA is decently priced and easy to get. I know their AR's aren't eactly up to snuff but the stocks appear to be alright...?

Is a Rock River A2 tube and stock GTG, or should I drive on? I can get one of those fairly cheap.

Looking for advice from those more nowledgeable than I. Thanks!

ccosby
09-18-11, 22:46
Got a color preference?

The armalite a2 stock is smooth and black compaired to most of the others that are more of a gray. Can't speak for the RRA but I have an armalite on my bcm rifle(before they sold their own) and a stag on another rifle that is a work in progress. Both seem to be good quality. I'm guessing the rra is going to be about the same.

steelonsteel
09-18-11, 22:53
Got a color preference?

Not really. Grey or Black I guess. Seems like all of the real deal A2's I've ever seen had slightly grey-ish butts when compared to their handguards or grips, so that would be fine, or a true black would be OK as well.

Quality is more of my concern.

The BCM would be promising, but are always out fo stock and are wicked expensve. Maybe someone knows something I don't, but I can't imagine there is any voodoo magic in a plastic stock?

Cerberus
09-18-11, 23:04
[QUOTE=steelonsteel;1102011]Not really. Grey or Black I guess. Seems like all of the real deal A2's I've ever seen had slightly grey-ish butts when compared to their handguards or grips, so that would be fine, or a true black would be OK as well. [QUOTE]

Only when they are new. After some use and abuse they turned black and smoothed out a bit. Never did care too much for the A2 stock.

m1a_scoutguy
09-18-11, 23:15
Here ya go,,I have bought a couple of the A1 Stocks from Fulton & they are a quality part !!! I would think that the A2 would be of similar type/color/quality !! I like the A1 myself,,it is a tad shorter than the A2,,5/8 inch I believe !! They have the quality butt plate,,solid trap door,,etc !! Check them out,,I'm sure you will be pleased !!
http://www.fulton-armory.com/buttstockassemblygroupa2newblack.aspx

steelonsteel
09-19-11, 00:15
I actually found a few complaints about the fulton stock having heavy mold lines on the net.

Del-ton also makes an A2 stock apparently, not sure how anyone feels about them.

a1fabweld
09-19-11, 00:40
I bought a few A2's from PK Firearms for somewhere in the $50-$60 range complete. They came dark gray. After oiling them they turned almost black. I wasn't concerned about quality issues on this matter as there are no moving parts (other than the trap door which I would never use, but still work regardless). I've been more than happy with mine. For all other AR type stocks, I run only Vltors.

nimdabew
09-19-11, 09:45
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26122/ttver=2/Product/A2_Buttstock_Assembly

I had that one a while ago. I thought it looked and felt just like the stocks on M16A2/A4's that I have held and it looks very good. I haven't looked up prices for other competitors A2 stock assemblies, but 95 for a buffer, stock, spring and receiver extension isn't bad.

m1a_scoutguy
09-19-11, 11:23
I actually found a few complaints about the fulton stock having heavy mold lines on the net.

Del-ton also makes an A2 stock apparently, not sure how anyone feels about them.

I just looked at mine & you can detect what mite be considered a mold line that goes the length of the stock,,but it is very minimal . Hey ya taken your rifle to the "Fashion" Show,,or taking it to the range,,;) LOL !!! I have had 2 of them for a few years on my 14.5 Uppers and they rifles run fantastic !! The thing I like about the Fulton one is it has the Good Solid Butt plate,,I know there are some cheaper,,plastic or even rubber ones,,not good !:( I have know ideal who makes the ones for Fulton,,but they are a good unit ! Lets face it,,,DD,, BCM don't make there own A2/A1 Stocks,(that I know of),so lets not get caught up in the buying a Delton,,DPMS,,RR stuff,,its a silly point at best !! I do know that "some" of the CAV Arms ones have the rubbery/plastic butt pad,,,not good !! Find one at a fair price that looks like ya want & buy it. :D Let us know how ya make out !! :)

Ickisrulz
09-19-11, 11:26
I just looked at mine & you can detect what mite be considered a mold line that goes the length of the stock,,but it is very minimal . Hey ya taken your rifle to the "Fashion" Show,,or taking it to the range,,;) LOL !!! I have had 2 of them for a few years on my 14.5 Uppers and they rifles run fantastic !! The thing I like about the Fulton one is it has the Good Solid Butt plate,,I know there are some cheaper,,plastic or even rubber ones,,not good !:( I have know ideal who makes the ones for Fulton,,but they are a good unit ! Lets face it,,,DD,, BCM don't make there own A2/A1 Stocks,(that I know of),so lets not get caught up in the buying a Delton,,DPMS,,RR stuff,,its a silly point at best !! I do know that "some" of the CAV Arms ones have the rubbery/plastic butt pad,,,not good !! Find one at a fair price that looks like ya want & buy it. :D Let us know how ya make out !! :)

Cav Arms makes Fulton's A1 stock. Fulton adds the metal butt plate.

wahoo95
09-19-11, 11:27
I picked up an A2 stock kit from M&A parts and its a good stock at a good price!

http://www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=646

Bob Reed
09-19-11, 12:05
Specialized Armament has the highest quality A2 Stock Kits http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/BUTTSTOCK_KIT_A2_RIFLE_BUTTSTOCK_W_FORGED_REC_EXTENSION_BUFFER_ACTION_SPRING-109-4.html

markm
09-19-11, 12:18
Get a real M16a2 stock here... $20 for the stock and buttplate.

http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/buttstock.html

Then go order the Colt A2 stock instal kit from brownells. The kit is like $89 if you know someone with an LE or Gunsmith account.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27070/Product/COLT_A2_BUTTSTOCK_MOUNTING_KIT

m1a_scoutguy
09-19-11, 13:36
Cav Arms makes Fulton's A1 stock. Fulton adds the metal butt plate.

Well there ya go,,:) It is a good butt plate & adds a nice touch to it !!! I guess it all depends on what ya want to spend,,$140 bucks for the Surplus Stock & Kit from Brownell's or $125 plus shipping for the one from Specialized Armament,,or around a $100 bucks shipped for the other !! I think in the end they will all accomplish the same thing !

markm
09-19-11, 13:45
$125 plus shipping for the one from Specialized Armament

I'm shocked at how low the SAW price is. :eek: I'd have guessed it would have been at least another hundred bucks higher.

Pappabear got a Carry handle that was priced competetively from SAW not too long ago too. :confused:

Magic_Salad0892
09-19-11, 13:54
Colt Assembly from Specialized Armament, or buy one from LMT.

Nutro
09-26-11, 16:52
Does anyone know if the OD green A2 stocks are a close match to the Magpul OD Green?

Kfgk14
09-26-11, 19:10
I run a Stag A2 on my newest rifle, seems fine. Color isn't the most uniform, but it doesn't matter that much to me. It's a user, not a safe queen.

steelonsteel
09-26-11, 21:48
I ended up getting a STUPId good deal on a Armalite A2 stock, with screw, tube, spring, and buffer. I lie that it's a true black, and fit/installation was excellant.

n517rv
09-26-11, 22:25
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26122/ttver=2/Product/A2_Buttstock_Assembly

I had that one a while ago. I thought it looked and felt just like the stocks on M16A2/A4's that I have held and it looks very good. I haven't looked up prices for other competitors A2 stock assemblies, but 95 for a buffer, stock, spring and receiver extension isn't bad.

I've used that one on several builds and have been pleased with it in general. My only issues is what someone else already mentioned - color matching is off for the receivers I have used. It's too gray for my taste, but then again I don't see it while looking threw the scope... :)