PDA

View Full Version : Is there anybody here who's Glock ... (fits their hand)

Joker
09-19-11, 03:18
Actually fits their hand comfortably??

I've got the G17 and I swear compared to other pistols, its almost like holding a 2X4 in my hand.

I've got a few other pistols that fit like a glove. The Glock, not so much.

Just curious.

ZoomByU
09-19-11, 04:53
Which generation? I initially didn't like glocks for that reason but the gen4 fits well in my hand with the small backstrap.

mkmckinley
09-19-11, 04:57
It doesn't really matter. The more you shoot it the less weird it will feel.

polymorpheous
09-19-11, 05:20
I have small hands.
The G17 is too large at the hump along the bottom of the back strap.
I'm considering doing a grip reduction.

The G19 is a bit better of a fit.

The G26 fits my hands well.
I don't struggle to get a 360* wrap around the grip.

It's true, the more you shoot it, the better it gets.

Quiet-Matt
09-19-11, 05:21
^^^mkmckinley's right^^^

I've been shooting Glocks since '98, They stopped feeling weird a long time ago.

Maybe it has something to do with my German descent?:D

-Matt

Omega Man
09-19-11, 05:58
My Gen3 G19 RTF2 fits my hand perfect. Glock 17's fit well also, but not as good as the 19.

Aaron_B
09-19-11, 06:18
Glocks seem to fit my hands just fine, never thought they were to big. On the other side I am a 6'3 225 pound dude, so I have fairly large hands.

novaDAK
09-19-11, 06:47
Deleted.

blackscot
09-19-11, 06:50
Glocks grips have a much more square cross-sectional profile than many pistols (compared to the S&W M&P below, for example).

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/grips/thickness.jpg

Not everyone "gets" how the Glock-to-hand contact works. Most are looking for the kind of wraparound feel that other pistols provide, probably best exemplified by the 1911 (but the M&P also comes close). These produce relatively complete surface contact with the inside of the hand, with even pressure across the full circumference of the grip as you sort-of cradle it.

For most people, trying to hold a Glock this way creates some major problems. If you try to plant the side panel of the grip fully into the palm, your hand will be placed too far forward. The worst effect of this is throwing the centerline of the forearm way to the right -- far off-axis with the centerline of the gun (see below) -- which greatly compromises the ability to absorb recoil and keep the sights tracking in the vertical plane. It also leaves less of the hand positioned behind the heel end of the grip, which is needed for a strong front-to-back hold. With most of the pressure on just the side panel, the grip slides around easily.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/grips/g19_crooked_top.jpg

The correct grip moves the hand clockwise (viewing from above) from the position described above, until the axes of the gun and forearm are in alignment (see below). This also will put more flesh solidly behind the heel of the grip, resulting in almost all the pressure being directed front-to-back like the jaws of a vise. There is little or no side-to-side pressure, which does nothing to control recoil and sight tracking anyway. Don't be surprised if there is actually a gap/air space between the side panel and your palm (it is nearly a quarter inch with me).

My hands are not large, so the G19 works best for me, and with it I can shoot better than with any of the many other designs I have tried. Because my palms are not wide, the longer grip of the G17/22/etc. just sets the heel a little too low, but probably fits just right for the more bear-pawed.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/grips/g19_straight_top.jpg

Brasilnuts
09-19-11, 06:51
Mine fit well... I think it's an old glove, old boot kinda thing with me. I've just shot them so much for so long anything else feels strange.

Don't get me wrong there are other pistols out there that feel great in my hands, but when I pick a Glock back up...

EDIT: Great post Blackscot.

Silvanus
09-19-11, 07:15
I never held/shot a handgun that felt so good in my hands as my Glock 17. Maybe it´s because it was my first and still favorite semi-auto, but the grip is just perfect for me.

Over the year of reading in US-based forums I sometimes wondered if you Americans have different hands, because I never met a police officer, soldier or civilian shooter that struggled with the grip of their Glocks.

ImBroke
09-19-11, 07:32
I can reach all the controls adequately and I can reach and engage the trigger adequately. As long as those criteria are met, that's all that is important to me as far as grip is concerned.

KalashniKEV
09-19-11, 07:59
My medium sized hands fit a G19/23 frame great... in fact, most of the "grip reduced" Glocks I've felt that remove the hump point somewhat low to me. (eyes closed point- not when tracking front sight)

I actually think it has to do with a person who doesn't have a very meaty portion of their hand below their thumb. Most people need the hump to trace that contour and provide good contact.

Perhaps the flat grip shooters are more ectomorphic? We should take an informal poll...

The square/round issue is, I think, secondary to the grip contour and angle, IMO.

The worst grip I've recently felt is on my SIG 1911 GSR Carry- Flat MSH with a big hump down the grip safety... basically the exact opposite shape of the human hand. Flat MSH went away for a reason...

markm
09-19-11, 08:18
I've never understood this need for a pistol to feel wonderful. That's some shit a dizzy broad would talk about when you're wasting time trying to teach her to shoot.

rauchman
09-19-11, 08:45
Far from an expert I am. Though I've been shootinghandguns for close to 20 years now.

I personally like how a compact Glock (G19/G23) fits my hands. I DO love the blocklyness as it allows my hand to really anchor the corners of the grip frame. The relative flatness of the front of the grip frame allows me to pull the grip into the fleshy area of my palm below the thumb for a solid lock. I also have a G17 and I don't quite get that same solid lock on that frame.

Conversely, I have an M&P40 I picked up and find it frustrating w/ how much lateral wobble I get. For me it seems, the curvey grip feel of the M&P, which BTW "feels" nice, does not allow me to shoot as well as with the mid-sized Glocks. Having said that, the M&P45 fits my hand like a glove and I get very good grip lock on that frame.

blackscot
09-19-11, 08:58
.....I personally like how a compact Glock (G19/G23) fits my hands. I DO love the blocklyness as it allows my hand to really anchor the corners of the grip frame. The relative flatness of the front of the grip frame allows me to pull the grip into the fleshy area of my palm below the thumb for a solid lock........

Conversely, I have an M&P40 I picked up and find it frustrating w/ how much lateral wobble I get. For me it seems, the curvey grip feel of the M&P, which BTW "feels" nice (emphasis added), does not allow me to shoot as well as with the mid-sized Glocks.......

+1 exactly.

jmlshooter
09-19-11, 09:24
I find that my 17 returns to my natural point of aim easier than any other firearm. That's way more important to me than fit.

Hizzie
09-19-11, 09:31
My G17 and G34 are a good fit. My G19 is a great fit. THe CZ SP01 Phantom is like a glove. My 642 with Craig Spegel boot grips and 681PC with Miculek stocks feel like they were carved for my hand.

misanthropist
09-19-11, 09:55
Glocks fit me fine. I found the G20 a little bricky but got used to it. Then I replaced it with a G20sf and liked it more.

But I have hands that were transplanted from a fairly large gorilla, then partially shaved.

stmcelroy
09-19-11, 10:08
17 fits my hand great, 19Gen4 without any inserts is similar but a tad to short.

My 21SF is a little large but I shoot it as good or better than the rest, had a S&W M&P 45 but prefer the 21SF.

El Cid
09-19-11, 10:11
My 27 does. It has the curve of the backstrap higher up on the frame and it actually fits the curve of my hand. My 22 (and other 23's I've tried don't).

jmoore
09-19-11, 10:15
True - my MP 9 "feels nicer", but I absolutely love the G17 rtf2. The texture is GREAT (remember - IL resident - so no CC for the foreseeable future:), and the blocky grip allows me to index things better than anything short of a 1911.

If I could just get the Glock with a factory affirmative safety - like the MP9 - I'd have true "perfection" :):):):)

john

PS - I liken a gun that feels nice to a car with a soft suspension - like an older Buick. It feels great in general, but when push comes to shove and I have to do some serious driving - I want the "less comfortable" street suspension of a Charger or Camaro:)

Littlelebowski
09-19-11, 11:00

I've got the G17 and I swear compared to other pistols, its almost like holding a 2X4 in my hand.

Just curious.

In other words, you probably haven't taken a serious class with your Glock and your probably shoot more than one pistol every time you go to the range, right?

SWATcop556
09-19-11, 11:23
My Glocks felt weird until I quit shooting 1911's. The more time you spend with it the better it will feel.

Now shooting a Glock is like shaking friends with an old friend.

Joker
09-19-11, 11:29
1st off, thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate all the feedback as it gives me information to process, and things to possibly try out (grip position or possibly the need to put more rounds downrange with it).

Which generation? I initially didn't like glocks for that reason but the gen4 fits well in my hand with the small backstrap.
It's a gen3

Glocks grips have a much more square cross-sectional profile than many pistols (compared to the S&W M&P below, for example).

Not everyone "gets" how the Glock-to-hand contact works. Most are looking for the kind of wraparound feel that other pistols provide, probably best exemplified by the 1911 (but the M&P also comes close). These produce relatively complete surface contact with the inside of the hand, with even pressure across the full circumference of the grip as you sort-of cradle it.

For most people, trying to hold a Glock this way creates some major problems. If you try to plant the side panel of the grip fully into the palm, your hand will be placed too far forward. The worst effect of this is throwing the centerline of the forearm way to the right -- far off-axis with the centerline of the gun (see below) -- which greatly compromises the ability to absorb recoil and keep the sights tracking in the vertical plane. It also leaves less of the hand positioned behind the heel end of the grip, which is needed for a strong front-to-back hold. With most of the pressure on just the side panel, the grip slides around easily.

The correct grip moves the hand clockwise (viewing from above) from the position described above, until the axes of the gun and forearm are in alignment (see below). This also will put more flesh solidly behind the heel of the grip, resulting in almost all the pressure being directed front-to-back like the jaws of a vise. There is little or no side-to-side pressure, which does nothing to control recoil and sight tracking anyway. Don't be surprised if there is actually a gap/air space between the side panel and your palm (it is nearly a quarter inch with me).

My hands are not large, so the G19 works best for me, and with it I can shoot better than with any of the many other designs I have tried. Because my palms are not wide, the longer grip of the G17/22/etc. just sets the heel a little too low, but probably fits just right for the more bear-pawed.

Great info. Thanks for taking the time to post that!

I've never understood this need for a pistol to feel wonderful. That's some shit a dizzy broad would talk about when you're wasting time trying to teach her to shoot.
LMAO!! Well, maybe I am a little dizzy now that you mention it. However, other guns seem to "settle" into a consistent grip better. With the G17 I feel like I'm fighting it a bit more. Doesn't feel natural I guess. Perhaps more time behind it will change that. Only time will tell.

True - my MP 9 "feels nicer", but I absolutely love the G17 rtf2. The texture is GREAT (remember - IL resident - so no CC for the foreseeable future:), and the blocky grip allows me to index things better than anything short of a 1911.

If I could just get the Glock with a factory affirmative safety - like the MP9 - I'd have true "perfection" :):):):)

john

PS - I liken a gun that feels nice to a car with a soft suspension - like an older Buick. It feels great in general, but when push comes to shove and I have to do some serious driving - I want the "less comfortable" street suspension of a Charger or Camaro:)
I'd prefer a more comfortable Charger or Camaro ;)

In other words, you probably haven't taken a serious class with your Glock and your probably shoot more than one pistol every time you go to the range, right?
I used it for a short period of time during a Magpul handgun II class when my other pistol went down temporarily due to a squib load. I found however that I could not shoot as accurately with it, and when the squib was cleared, went back to the original weapon.

More recently, I went to the range with three different polymer based pistols and did evals on each compared to each other. It was then that I noticed the grip fitment more so than at the class.

Army Chief
09-19-11, 11:32
Over the year of reading in US-based forums I sometimes wondered if you Americans have different hands, because I never met a police officer, soldier or civilian shooter that struggled with the grip of their Glocks.

I'm not sure the core issue here is one of struggling with the grip of the Glock, so much as it is comparing and contrasting the ergonomics of the G series to other pistols with which the typical American shooter might also be familiar. I'm also a bit surprised that a shooter in the Benelux would find anything close to perfection in the subjective grip feel of the Glock, considering that the home-grown (if dated) P.35/Hi-Power is generally considered to be the penultimate example of ideal grip ergos for the 99th-percentile shooter.

If the Glock is all one knows, then of course there is no real point of discussion here, but it is probably worth noting that we don't tend to hear a lot of discussion about grip reductions and reprofiling from those in the HK P30, S&W M&P and Walther PPQ camps. Glocks work incredibly well, but remain something of an acquired taste; especially if (a) the shooter is coming from another platform, and (b) he hasn't been forced to migrate because of external department or agency requirements.

AC

SWATcop556
09-19-11, 11:34
I would recommend finding a good defensive platform and stick with it exclusively for defensive use. If you feel the Glock doesn't fit you then I would recommend the M&P to hit the same price point.

What other polymer pistols were you shooting that you felt were better than your Glock? What pistol were you using at the MD class that went down and why were you using a different platform as a backup?

samuse
09-19-11, 11:39
I've spent a lot of time with a Glock 19, 1911 and Hi Power, the Glock 19 is by far my favorite. I like the grip angle and the shape. Especially the Gen4, but I still carry a 3rd Gen.

I always thought Glocks had a nice clean look to 'em and handle very well with no junk to get in the way.

Joker
09-19-11, 11:44
I would recommend finding a good defensive platform and stick with it exclusively for defensive use. If you feel the Glock doesn't fit you then I would recommend the M&P to hit the same price point.

What other polymer pistols were you shooting that you felt were better than your Glock? What pistol were you using at the MD class that went down and why were you using a different platform as a backup?

I agree with sticking with one platform for defensive use, or at least narrow it down to a couple. I bought the Glock recently due to its overwhelming reputation for reliability and high magazine capacity. I've never really liked the looks of the Glock, but figured with its reputation, I could overlook, well, its looks ;)

I also recently purchased a S&W M&P 9mm. It definitely feels better in the hand, and I was able to shoot it more accurately at the range. Perhaps THIS was the reason the grip of the Glock was noticed to be so different.

The Smith and a Springfield XD grip felt like a better fit.

The main pistol used for the Magpul class was a Beretta 92F. I know it has its share of detractors, but it has never had a malfunction sans the squib load (not the guns fault) in over 4,000 rds. Most of which were HP's some even the wide mouthed 88 gr JHP. I also can shoot fairly accurately with it, and it fits my hand well.

I used a different platform because I don't have a 2nd Beretta. I brought both the Springfield and Glock as a back-up. The only pistol I have multiples of is the 1911.

Magsz
09-19-11, 11:52
So long as the damned pistol doesnt have spikes on it anyone that has an interest in shooting can apply the fundamentals to any hand held bangstick.

Pistol "fit" is something ive never really understood until i actually started shooting Glocks. Do they fit my hand as well as my M&P's? Not really no but they certainly do work and they work quite well if you make the necessary changes to manipulate the firearm effectively.

J8127
09-19-11, 11:53
I love my G21 as I have giant hands, but I don't have a lot of time/experience with anything else besides the M9.

DaveR
09-19-11, 11:56
Good post, blackscot, thanks.

I have no problem with either my G26, G19, or G17, but my favorite and my carry pistol is my G26.

I have very large hands and it locks perfectly into my palm. I shoot it at least twice a week. It's the practice/training that matters.

Dave

SWATcop556
09-19-11, 12:50
I agree with sticking with one platform for defensive use, or at least narrow it down to a couple. I bought the Glock recently due to its overwhelming reputation for reliability and high magazine capacity. I've never really liked the looks of the Glock, but figured with its reputation, I could overlook, well, its looks ;)

I also recently purchased a S&W M&P 9mm. It definitely feels better in the hand, and I was able to shoot it more accurately at the range. Perhaps THIS was the reason the grip of the Glock was noticed to be so different.

The Smith and a Springfield XD grip felt like a better fit.

The main pistol used for the Magpul class was a Beretta 92F. I know it has its share of detractors, but it has never had a malfunction sans the squib load (not the guns fault) in over 4,000 rds. Most of which were HP's some even the wide mouthed 88 gr JHP. I also can shoot fairly accurately with it, and it fits my hand well.

I used a different platform because I don't have a 2nd Beretta. I brought both the Springfield and Glock as a back-up. The only pistol I have multiples of is the 1911.

I use to be of the mindset that I wanted as many different models of handguns and rifles as I could "collect." I then paired my handguns down to Glocks and 1911's. Several years ago I decided to get serious about only training and owning one platform and settled on the Glock. I flirted with the M&P but my Dept. ended up making the final decision as it went all Glock.

Find something reliable that you can accurately shoot and fight with and, with training and range time, the "fit issue" will fix itself.

zacbol
09-19-11, 13:10
I don't think it's that bad of a question. In answer, of course plenty of people have G19s and have no issue with the grip. You're seeing ample evidence of that in the responses.

That said, I have a G19 and have put several thousand rounds through it (at least a thousand in two days during Intensive Handgun Skills from Insights) and it's *never* felt quite right to me. I bought it because a G19 with a Kramer #3 is de rigueur for the Insights teaching staff and I generally train with them. It works well enough and I can shoot it passably, but it's never felt comfortable or quite right. I'm not selling the G19 anytime soon as the simplicity, ubiquity, and cost of the Glock are hard to beat, but I much, much prefer the PPQ I recently purchased and can't see shooting the G19 much unless I really run into major issues with the PPQ.

nobody knows
09-19-11, 13:22
The g19 didn't "fit" me vary well wen I first bought it, I also have small hands so I did a grip reduction. It feels much better now and I shoot it it better as well. But I can't say for certain that the grip reduction is what improved my shooting, or if it was just the trigger time. Ether way I'm quite happy with the g19.

jmlshooter
09-19-11, 13:38
The "you haven't gone to a class" or the "you probably own more than one gun" criticism seems endemic on this board and others. Usually littlelebowski. I think this is a decent percentage of your posts.

I go to the range with more than one gun from time to time. I like guns. I may even take a 1911 from time to time [EGADS!] that probably wouldn't even run 20,000 rounds through it without cleaning or lubrication, which makes us all question its true combat reliability. I might as well be carrying a pointy stick.

Please, no more of the "If you haven't been to ten 1,000-round classes, incinerate your CHL" rhetoric.

To the OP, the purpose of the gun is to be used. If there's something about the gun that makes you not want to practice with it, then get rid of it.

titsonritz
09-19-11, 13:40
I guess I’ve never got the whole “How it feels/fits thing”, its more about how well it/I perform. I find the shape of Glock wedges itself in my hand during long shooting sessions where with some others I must shift my grip to reacquire a positive hold. I typically wear size medium glove and have no issue hanging onto my Glock 20 let alone my Glock 19. Yeah I’d say the Glock grip works well for me.

SWATcop556
09-19-11, 13:48
The "you haven't gone to a class" or the "you probably own more than one gun" criticism seems endemic on this board and others. Usually littlelebowski. I think this is a decent percentage of your posts.

I go to the range with more than one gun from time to time. I like guns. I may even take a 1911 from time to time [EGADS!] that probably wouldn't even run 20,000 rounds through it without cleaning or lubrication, which makes us all question its true combat reliability. I might as well be carrying a pointy stick.

Please, no more of the "If you haven't been to ten 1,000-classes, incinerate your CHL" rhetoric.

To the OP, the purpose of the gun is to be used. If there's something about the gun that makes you not want to practice with it, then get rid of it.

The reason this board questions the training background of a shooter who asks a question with little preface of their background other than it doesn't feel right is because casual shooters are few and far between here.

I still have two 1911's that I keep for personal reasons and I also have other rifles other than the AR/M4 variant, however this site is not geared towards collecting. We are trying to find out the "why" behind the question before we throw out blanket worthless answers.

We all like guns or we wouldn't be here however the majority of this board like training with guns and carry/use them in a professional role. You can like as many guns as you want just understand the base line of the board you are asking for advise.

This may seem harsh but no one has said to chunk your CHL if you haven't had 1000+ training hours but if you haven't trained with your carry gun I would say leave it at home as you are more of a liability than a solution.

Before you start to single out members here I would suggest you evaluate exactly what has been asked and what has been said. One post from one person is not the general consensus.

LL and I disagree from time to time but his knowledge base is sound and though he may be short sometime, he is a respected member so check the 'tude. Or just add him to your ignore list. :dirol:

jmlshooter
09-19-11, 13:57
I think there are more "casual" shooters than you think, reference the original post. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he doesn't shoot 1,000 rounds a week.

There's a lot of knowledge on this board...that's why I come. I probably read every Iraqgunz post and rarely post myself.

Sometimes, it seems like there's about 12 people interacting with one another and telling the rest to go to a class.

No attitude intended.

Littlelebowski
09-19-11, 14:01

Please, no more of the "If you haven't been to ten 1,000-round classes, incinerate your CHL" rhetoric.

Kinda tough all over for you on this board if you don't like being advised to get training. The deal is that I've owned 1911s and tried to learn on my own. A Nighthawk, Springfield, TRP, Springfield EMP, and two Kimbers (one of which I still own). The day I sold the 1911s, picked up a Glock 19 and started training was the day I really started learning how to shoot a pistol and started enjoying shooting more.

The OP's comments sounded like a guy with a lot of guns that he hasn't trained with. He noted that he is not that guy, mentioning a Magpul class.

If you don't like advice about seeking training, this is not the board for you. If you don't like me, put me on ignore or whine elsewhere. Public whining instead of attempting to address the issue via PM is nothing more than........whining.

titsonritz
09-19-11, 14:08
Personally I’ve got no issue with straight up curt responses, they tend to cut through the bullshit and I come here for knowledge not the warm fuzzies.

jmlshooter
09-19-11, 14:19
That's fair, littlelebowski. I understand your point. I think the OP is at a different place in his learning curve from you.

There is value to the choice you made: to switch to one system. And that's consistency. Travis Haley doesn't shoot the same thing all the time. Larry Vickers doesn't shoot the same thing all the time. If it works for you, that's great.

From time to time, I shoot Glocks, 1911's, Hi-Powers, J-frames...everything has its role (if only to remind me why I carry Glocks).

I would never take a 1911 or a Hi-Power to a 1,000-round class, because I wouldn't want to look like an ass while everyone's shooting and I'm trying to replace a recoil spring or extractor or fit a firing pin stop. Stuff that happens on the stationary range from time to time.

I wouldn't ignore you, because you do make some really good points. This board does inform my decision-making on firearms, and I'll say my decision to only carry Glocks is due in part to you and others on this board.

When I hear someone say, "The Glock doesn't fit my hand; the Kimber fits my hand like a glove," I roll my eyes like everyone else. That person doesn't need to take a class to watch his gun fail. He needs more advice from the SME's on the board about product.

Thanks for your input.

Nephrology
09-19-11, 14:37
The Glock 19 was the first centerfire handgun I fired. It was love at first sight.

Now I own one (looking to make it two soon, hopefully in the next 6-12 months) and a G17RTF and a G26. They all fit my hand equally well. The G17 took a little getting used to but I've learned to grip it higher and now I shoot it just as well as the 19, perhaps even a little better.

No gun will ever give me the warm and fuzzies like the Glock 19, though. I have a 1911 that I got as my first purchased pistol when I turned 21, it mostly plays host to a .22 kit that I use to teach newbies on, and occasionally I'll buy a box of .45 for shits and giggles...

otherwise, my ammo bill is big, and it is all 9mm. Don't plan on owning any other centerfire pistol or caliber, unless I move to a less free state with a magazine capacity limit...

Eagle1*
09-19-11, 14:51
glock 19's are the best fit for me. they point right on too.. love them..

Littlelebowski
09-19-11, 14:57
There is value to the choice you made: to switch to one system. And that's consistency. Travis Haley doesn't shoot the same thing all the time. Larry Vickers doesn't shoot the same thing all the time. If it works for you, that's great.

I don't think trying to emulate those two by switching pistols for training is a good idea for about 99% of the shooting population, myself included.

Nephrology
09-19-11, 16:07
I don't think trying to emulate those two by switching pistols for training is a good idea for about 99% of the shooting population, myself included.

I probably spend less time sleeping than larry vickers does shooting....

For someone in the slow lane like me, sticking to 1 platform and caliber makes sense. Saves money and allows me to develop consistent technique.

This is why my 1911 is more of a toy than a weapon. i don't even keep any .45 in the house these days. I have plenty of 9mm FMJ and JHP though.

tony413
09-19-11, 16:18
i hated glocks until i shot a generation 2 glock 22 i brought that gun on the spot and never looked back. the GEN 2 honestly has the best grip out of all the gens of glock in my personal opinion. i also own a S&W M&P and i love that gun but the glock trigger is just dreamy.

Whtwolf14
09-19-11, 17:52
I always come back to my G19 eventually. I'm issued a 229R DAK .357. I struggle with accuracy with the G19, and that's because I have more rounds through my issued Sig. I'm trying to stick with Sig for on/off duty carry, but I know I will come back to the G19. They both fit my hand equally well. Weird, huh??:blink:

willowofwisp
09-19-11, 17:53
The Glock 19 fits my hand perfectly.

Joker
09-19-11, 18:56
For those who wanted to know a little more about my background as far as shooting goes, no, I do not shoot 1,000 rds per week, but do a fair amount of shooting with both the AR system and handguns. I have been shooting handguns fairly often since before I turned 21 (1st handgun was a Thompson .45). So in reality, over 23 yrs shooting experience wth handguns, longer with rifles.

I currently compete in IPSC, handgun silhouette, and 3-gun matches when time allows. I recently took a couple of Magpul courses earlier this year (Carbine1 and Handgun2).

I used to be mainly a bullseye shooter (meaning taking my time and striving to make little groups mainly at 50 ft and 25 yds, sometimes farther). I know the fundamentals of shooting fairly well, but more recently wanted to work on my speed/accuracy combination.

The classes were great, and I plan on taking at least a couple every year if time and funds allow (which I think they will).

Hope this helps, and my original question was based on the ergonomics of the Glock grip. It just doesn't sit naturally in my hand like others do.

230therapy
09-19-11, 19:02

Just curious.

All the Glocks I have fit my hand.

YVK
09-19-11, 19:16
I am in my attention deficit mood, so I don't know if anybody said this (cursory review says no), but how one's pistol "fits" your hand or feels in it has little to do with performance. I have a very grip-reduced G19, and on occasions when I shoot rental bone stock Glocks I don't see a whole lot of difference.

Long Tom Coffin
09-19-11, 19:21
My 19's fit great. I've developed some pretty bad ass callouses the inside of my middle finger just beneath the middle and lower knuckle and on my ring finger in the same places. I've also developed a nice little case of glock knuckle.

But they point great and they are super fast back on target. That is my definition of a good fit.

Semper Paratus
09-19-11, 19:42
I'm one of the 1% ers. I have 1911s, S&W Revolvers in J/K/N frame, BHP (which needs considerable work to keep it from biting the hand that feeds it) and a G17 gen 4 (acquired via trade). For perspective I stretch out XL work gloves wear a size 12 wedding ring on my weak hand. The G17 Gen 4 presents no reach problems for me but the lame attempts at finger grooves do not work for me, They are too narrow for my fingers. I am a low speed high drag type, middle age 6'4" 245# male with thinning/graying hair and increasingly thick glasses so make up your own mind on on the validity of my opinion. Oh by the way I shoot 150-200 center fire rounds a week in 9MM, .38 spcl/.357 Magnum, .44 Special and .45 auto.
I may be visiting my gun plumber to make the so called finger grooves go away on the 17, that is if he prices it right. If not may trade the 17 and accoutrements away for something else.

RD62
09-19-11, 19:54
You would think they designed the full-size Glock frame around a mold of my hand.

It fits great, finger groves and all.

blackboar
09-19-11, 20:22

This is one of the reasons why I feel my Glock 19 "fits" my hand very well. This gun actually forces me to put more of my palm behind the gun and produces a much more stable platform. I feel that I'm able to put more "ass" behind my pistol than when shooting other platforms.

For the record, I do enjoy shooting other platforms, including 1911's, wheel guns, and DA/SA guns. However, for actual practical practice (classes and working improving fundamentals), my Glocks are my go-to guns.

Nephrology
09-19-11, 21:05
Honestly you can learn to shoot just about anything well with enough practice. I was kind of afraid (based on the internet, of course) that with my small hands I would only be suited for a G19 and nothing else.

I shoot my 17 just fine and even my 21 well back when I owned one. No longer have a use for .45 ACP but if I ever did again I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another 21 either.

uwe1
09-19-11, 23:37

For my personal shooting grip, I initially tried to stick with the 2nd picture (through two pistol classes), but realized that with my hand in that position, my trigger finger was slightly contacting the side of the trigger. Under rapid fire, this was causing me to push the gun off target to the left. I ended up doing something in between picture one and picture two and the problem was fixed. My rapid fire groups used to trail from center to low and left with some shots off directly to the left. Now, everything is centered.

Surf, who's now an IP on this site, has a great video on the modern combat pistol grip on Youtube. There was a part where he said, that the only thing you should compromise that inline grip for, was to improve your trigger manipulation. At about 2:20 in the vid below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf#p/u/15/_LmO3Cku3CI

I had already self diagnosed that, but was having doubts about trying it until I saw that. My grip isn't as exaggerated as the first photo, but it is slightly off that inline grip and my shooting has dramatically improved since.

skyugo
09-19-11, 23:54
Early on i was handed a glock 19 at the range and found it easy to make hits with. So naturally when it came time to buy a handgun i bought a g19.
The more i shoot it the more i appreciate it ergonomically. As a disclaimer i have huge hands and long fingers.
I'd consider a 10mm glock as well, i find them comfortable.

I actually like the extra width of the glock, i think it gives me a little more stability side to side.

Alaskapopo
09-20-11, 03:28

Just curious.

The 17 fits me perfectly. The 21/20 (larger glocks) fit like a 2x4.
pat

Silvanus
09-20-11, 04:10
I'm not sure the core issue here is one of struggling with the grip of the Glock, so much as it is comparing and contrasting the ergonomics of the G series to other pistols with which the typical American shooter might also be familiar. I'm also a bit surprised that a shooter in the Benelux would find anything close to perfection in the subjective grip feel of the Glock, considering that the home-grown (if dated) P.35/Hi-Power is generally considered to be the penultimate example of ideal grip ergos for the 99th-percentile shooter.

If the Glock is all one knows, then of course there is no real point of discussion here, but it is probably worth noting that we don't tend to hear a lot of discussion about grip reductions and reprofiling from those in the HK P30, S&W M&P and Walther PPQ camps. Glocks work incredibly well, but remain something of an acquired taste; especially if (a) the shooter is coming from another platform, and (b) he hasn't been forced to migrate because of external department or agency requirements.

AC

You are right that if a person only knows a couple of guns or even just the one he´s issued he´s less likely to complain about it and wish he had something else.

But IMO that also lets those shooters build a more unbiased opinion of the pistol and the fact that the overwhelming majority likes them goes to show that the grip is not really an issue at all. Maybe if they had carried P30s for years and then made the switch to Glock it would be different story...

What I meant to say in my initial post is that I was very surprised (when I started visiting gun forums) to find out that so many people disliked the Glock pistol´s ergos, because I rarely heard such complaints from people I met personally, either at the range or when meeting other (foreign or domestic) LEOs or soldiers.

I owned a really nice HP for several years (how could I not living where I do), but just couldn´t warm up to that gun. It always felt too small for my hands even though I have only medium sized if not even small hands... But that again is just my personal perception. Maybe I´m the weirdo for thinking Glocks´ ergos are superb :blink:

BTW you wouldn´t believe how happy our soldiers and Customs Officers were when they finally got their Hi-Powers replaced with Glock 17s! I know, I know they have no soul:D There is no gun culture left in this part of the world (if there ever was one).

d90king
09-20-11, 08:09
IMHO "Fitting" ones hand is a highly over used term when discussing hand guns. The only caveat is if there are physical limitations involved.

I came from a 1911 background and always HATED Glocks and the way they "felt"... Once I manned up and put some work in on the platform which is what you HAVE to do with ANY platform to become dialed in with it, I couldn't be happier and actually love the way it "fits" now.

After a few classes with it and 10k rounds I shoot a Glock 19 better than I ever shot my 1911's. I am faster out of the holster, have faster splits and am plenty accurate out to 100 yds. All this with a stock trigger.

I have well over 100k rounds through 1911's and if I can transition to a Glock (brick) then anyone can provided they are willing to put the work in.

This thing we call shooting takes work if you ever plan on being more than just a average shooter. Do the work and you will be rewarded in your performance no different than anything else. If you carry a gun daily this is probably a pretty damn good idea.

As always YMMV.

A recent quote that I had regarding a similar topic on performance with firearms.

Man up, OWN IT, and fix it. Or you can punk out, make excuses for your performance and continue to dwell in the bowels of mediocrity.

Army Chief
09-20-11, 08:35
I came from a 1911 background and always HATED Glocks and the way they "felt"... Once I manned up and put some work in on the platform which is what you HAVE to do with ANY platform to become dialed in with it, I couldn't be happier and actually love the way it "fits" now.

This makes perfect sense to me. I carried a P7M13 for several years, and there was absolutely nothing about that particular gun that "fit" the hand -- mine, or anyone else's. I still liked the gun, even if my P7 experiences eventually led me to favor the original P7 (PSP) form factor.

My own indifference to the Glock is probably less related to the grip profile than it is to the fact that I never cared for the balance of the gun, though these same charges could likely be leveled against most modern polymers.

AC

JHC
09-20-11, 08:56
IMHO "Fitting" ones hand is a highly over used term when discussing hand guns. The only caveat is if there are physical limitations involved.

After a few classes with it and 10k rounds I shoot a Glock 19 better than I ever shot my 1911's. I am faster out of the holster, have faster splits and am plenty accurate out to 100 yds. All this with a stock trigger.

.[/B]

+1 Unless its a pure physical reach issue, fit and feel are deceivers. Timer and targets are the truth tellers.

RogerinTPA
09-20-11, 10:19
Somebody hand me a tissue...

I shoot Glocks well and owned a G23 for about a decade, but the grip sucks for me. The recoil felt unnatural, weird and unpleasant. Because of that, it didn't get shot much. Maybe 3000 rounds over a decade. It was akin to trying to get comfortable with a flinch, sprained ankle during a run, or muscle spasm in my lower back and fighting through to do sit-ups. I then traded it for an M&P40 a few months after it's introduction and never looked back. The M&P45 was the first purchase. I was so impressed with the ergonomics, recoil management, and comfort, I traded in all my pistols for the M&P line. I'd consider anyone who claimed that the grip on a Glock felt comfortable and natural, to be handicapped.:D

For those willing to over look an obvious drawback in a otherwise great gun, consider the following:

-Would you also shoot a long gun for precision if the weapon didn't feel comfortable while shooting it?

-Would you wear shoes 1 size too small even though they were extremely durable and looked great?

-Wear smaller underwear to promote "package" size while strangling your ball sac?

-Wear a condom if it was too small, even though you thoroughly enjoy "that" activity?

-Is suffering through this drawback considered "Manly" in the Glock circle?

Some of you may fight through this list with an "S" on your chest with a flowing red cape, but you wont enjoy is as much, or do it as often, or for a longer duration or enjoy the precision you are accustomed to. If you can, then you get an extra stamp on your man card.

I need to be able to comfortably perform the task, in order to gain maximum benefits. It's all about proper fit for me, to thoroughly enjoy the activity.

It's an acquired taste that shouldn't be required to fit naturally in a human hand for the use of this pistol.

I feel a group hug is needed...:sarcastic:

steve m
09-20-11, 11:40
The glock fits my hand well, it points good for me so it is what I shoot and carry. That and the fact that my work started to issue glocks. I am a big proponet of train and fight with what you actually use. I have now x3 glock 19 3d gen, and x2 glock 17 rtf. All are set up pretty much the same for commonality and parts. For me glock fits my hand well. At work we shoot alot, and can get good training too, my work glock 19 with x300 points great and fits with or without gloves. So not to be long winded glock 9mm frame fits my hand well. I trust my life to it daily and to echo people smarter than me you must train with it.(still looking for 1911 for nostalgia puroses)

Stewie
09-20-11, 12:09
-Wear smaller underwear to promote "package" size while strangling your ball sac?

If that's wrong I don't wanna be right.

Littlelebowski
09-20-11, 12:13
If that's wrong I don't wanna be right.

Truf.

Littlelebowski
09-20-11, 12:18
Somebody hand me a tissue...

I shoot Glocks well and owned a G23 for about a decade, but the grip sucks for me. The recoil felt unnatural, weird and unpleasant. Because of that, it didn't get shot much. Maybe 3000 rounds over a decade. It was akin to trying to get comfortable with a flinch, sprained ankle during a run, or muscle spasm in my lower back and fighting through to do sit-ups. I then traded it for an M&P40 a few months after it's introduction and never looked back. The M&P45 was the first purchase. I was so impressed with the ergonomics, recoil management, and comfort, I traded in all my pistols for the M&P line. I'd consider anyone who claimed that the grip on a Glock felt comfortable and natural, to be handicapped.:D

For those willing to over look an obvious drawback in a otherwise great gun, consider the following:

-Would you also shoot a long gun for precision if the weapon didn't feel comfortable while shooting it?

-Would you wear shoes 1 size too small even though they were extremely durable and looked great?

-Wear a condom if it was too small, even though you thoroughly enjoy "that" activity?

-Is suffering through this drawback considered "Manly" in the Glock circle?

Some of you may fight through this list with an "S" on your chest with a flowing red cape, but you wont enjoy is as much, or do it as often, or for a longer duration or enjoy the precision you are accustomed to. If you can, then you get an extra stamp on your man card.

I need to be able to comfortably perform the task, in order to gain maximum benefits. It's all about proper fit for me, to thoroughly enjoy the activity.

It's an acquired taste that shouldn't be required to fit naturally in a human hand for the use of this pistol.

I feel a group hug is needed...:sarcastic:

Not an accurate analogy unless you have real data. JHC nailed it with:
+1 Unless its a pure physical reach issue, fit and feel are deceivers. Timer and targets are the truth tellers..

I see it as Nike running shoes versus minimalist shoes. One does feel better at the store. But after you've done some serious training, guess which one makes you a better runner and is better for you?

C4IGrant
09-20-11, 12:25
Mental blocks. We all have them. I deal with a lot of new shooters and often times, they believe that something is either wrong with their gun or that their sights are off (which is why they cannot hit anything). Once they are of this mindset, they won't shoot the gun well until someone can prove them wrong.

When some people pick up a Glock (for instance) it feels awkward in their hand. This just created a mental block for them being able to shoot it well. I think this type of stuff happens to a lot of shooters (just read the accuwedge thread going on).

Now, those of us that have had a lot of firearms training know that "feel" has very little to do with anything and if they gun does not "feel" good to us, that we will just train more with it until it does.

With that said, many of us have preferences. I personally HATE finger grooves in guns. Think they are GHEY. Does this mean that I cannot shoot a GEN 3 Glock well? No. All that it means is that I prefer a different grip feel.

YMMV.

C4

d90king
09-20-11, 12:30
Mental blocks. We all have them. I deal with a lot of new shooters and often times, they believe that something is either wrong with their gun or that their sights are off (which is why they cannot hit anything). Once they are of this mindset, they won't shoot the gun well until someone can prove them wrong.

When some people pick up a Glock (for instance) it feels awkward in their hand. This just created a mental block for them being able to shoot it well. I think this type of stuff happens to a lot of shooters (just read the accuwedge thread going on).

Now, those of us that have had a lot of firearms training know that "feel" has very little to do with anything and if they gun does not "feel" good to us, that we will just train more with it until it does.

With that said, many of us have preferences. I personally HATE finger grooves in guns. Think they are GHEY. Does this mean that I cannot shoot a GEN 3 Glock well? No. All that it means is that I prefer a different grip feel.

YMMV.

C4
Amazing how much mindset is involved in shooting isn't it...

C4IGrant
09-20-11, 12:59
Amazing how much mindset is involved in shooting isn't it...

Yep. Amazing.

C4

m4a1mustang
09-20-11, 13:09
My G26 Gen 4 with the medium (IIRC) backstrap fits my hand perfectly. I know some people have issues with the way Glocks feel, but for me they are very comfortable and point very naturally.

I'd have to spend a lot more time training to be able to shoot a similar XD9C as well as I do the G26.

TheSmiter1
09-20-11, 13:27
When I had a Glock 19, it wasn't so much that it didn't fit my hand, as it became more comfortable the longer I had it. It was the fact that my finger rubbed on the trigger guard, and would cause blisters to form on my trigger finger. The first range session I had, I took it out for 500 rounds. I had one helluva blister after that. It never got better. I would have started to wear gloves when shooting it (probably Mechanix) but I sold it anyway because I can't afford to shoot at the moment.

rathos
09-20-11, 23:41
I used to be part of the "glocks don't fit my hand" crowd, always saying that when I held them in my hand they pointed up. Then I took a couple of classes and learned how to hold a pistol and found that the glock has one of the lowest bore axises out there and fits very well in my hand. It also it is also extremely accurate and great shooting in 9mm. Not such a fan in any other caliber. I found that they smaller they get the more the hump gets in the way, but the glock 26 is one of the easiest subcompact guns to shoot and my only "backup gun" that I have ever done a full qualification with. I also qualified with nearly the same score as my G17.

While shooting a sig or 1911 feels more natural it is because I have been shooting them longer and it is what I am used to. It is hard to pass up a glock when they are so reliable, accessories are so plentiful, the mags hold a lot of ammo and they are nearly half the price of most other guns in their class. Not only that but they are easy to work on and have a constant trigger pull. If you truly feel like it is a 2x4 then maybe a glock gen 4 is for you.

uwe1
09-21-11, 02:03
When I had a Glock 19, it wasn't so much that it didn't fit my hand, as it became more comfortable the longer I had it. It was the fact that my finger rubbed on the trigger guard, and would cause blisters to form on my trigger finger. The first range session I had, I took it out for 500 rounds. I had one helluva blister after that. It never got better. I would have started to wear gloves when shooting it (probably Mechanix) but I sold it anyway because I can't afford to shoot at the moment.

That issue is really not a big deal to fix. If you do get another Glock and aren't too afraid to modify the frame of your gun, just use some sandpaper to thin down the trigger guard. I usually start with 600 grit to get things moving quickly, then eventually finish with 1500 grit to smooth it out.

blackscot
09-21-11, 06:32
......fit and feel are deceivers. Timer and targets are the truth tellers.

Word.

The M&P9 felt great to me but I couldn't get past Sharpshooter level in IDPA with it, even after 4 months of weekly practice drills.

Went back to my G19 and immediately returned to my former Expert level on the very first attempt.

uwe1
09-21-11, 10:54

This is a very good point. Early on in my "self taught" phase of shooting, I developed a horrendous flinch that caused me to snatch the trigger at the very last moment. In the beginning, I didn't even realize that it was me....

It took attending a marksmanship based class taught by former Deltas, to witness that surgical accuracy with a pistol is possible at long ranges.

Now that I know what is possible, and am willing to put in the work required to get there, things are finally coming together. Still a lot to work on....

Aries144
09-21-11, 17:46
I don't know about "feeling good" but after two years of monthly 3gun and handgun club matches, I still can't shoot as well with my 2nd gen glock19 as I can with my XD9.

I switched because of Glock's reputation for ruggedness and availability of parts. The XD broke on two separate occasions- once during a match, the other during dry fire practice.

I find that I am unable to maintain a consistently solid two-hand grip with my 2nd gen glock19. No matter the direction or strength of pressure I apply, my support hand slides out of position frequently, requiring readjustment, which prevents me from shooting quickly or consistently. If my hands are very dry (no good friction) or wet from sweat or rain, my support hand moves every shot fired.

I'm doing something wrong Glock-technique wise as far as my off-hand slipping, as I didn't have this issue with the XD.

Something I haven't seen directly mentioned is the increased length of pull the Glock pistols have compared with other designs. This is a source of difficulty for me personally. I find it more difficult to keep the sights in alignment during trigger squeeze when firing one-handed.

It's another sample size of one, but I recently helped a person entirely new to handguns try out three handguns at a range that provided rentals: An HK P30, M&P9 compact, and gen4 Glock 19. She fired 4-5 magazines with each. First the M&P, then the G19, then the P30. Then starting over, put 4 magazines through each again.

Groups with the M&P were initially erratic, but became consistent as she became comfortable shooting. She commented she didn't like the "feel" of the shortened grip.

Groups with the Glock were inconsistent and she displayed more difficulty maintaining sight alignment through trigger squeeze throughout her time with it.

She shot best with the P30 (surprisingly so, I thought), printing very tight consistent groups. and also commented that she preferred it. She mentioned the Glock last in her order of preference.

I think shooters with smaller hands tend to have more difficulty running Glocks well, at least initially.

Has anyone honestly noticed a difference in time-to-proficiency with small-handed shooters and Glocks? I found the above-mentioned lady's instant performance increase with the P30 more than a little surprising.

zacbol
09-21-11, 18:20
I wonder if part of it was that the stock plastic sights on a stock G19 are just terrible, with absolutely tiny slivers of light on either side. While the stock HK sites are not *great*, I think they are noticeably better.

Side note, out of curiosity was it a LEM or DA/SA?

Aries144
09-21-11, 18:34
Considering that we were shooting at an indoor range at distances between 5 and 15 yards, I don't feel the sights had a lot to do with it.

The sights on my personal Glock19 are Tru Dots.

The P30 was the LEM. I'm not sure which version.

Drew78
09-21-11, 19:13
As a long time Glock shooter this thread got me thinking last night. Today I went to my LGS and handled a M&P 9c. I tried it with all the backstraps and it didnt leave me thinking "holy crap, look at what I have been missing!" It actually felt REALLY slick and too rounded off to get a good purchase on my support hand heel. I am sure this is due to my shooting of Glocks about 95% of the time and I am therefore very biased towards what I use.

I have also noticed that what feels great in the hand could suck when firing. Case in point, at the range I got to shoot a guys Kahr P9. I have held these at the fun counter before and was always amazed how great they felt. Until I shot it! Couldnt control it for snot. It was actually too small to really dominate the recoil of the gun. now, with enough rounds, I am sure I could get settled in, but it really took me back and made me think about this whole "ergo" thing that everyone seems to talk about. Its starting to have a bit of a "bubba" conotation to it when I hear guys spouting off about the guns "ergos".... Kinda how I feel about the XD for instance! ;)

-drew

huntswithweim
09-21-11, 23:41
I really liked how my Gen 3 22 felt. Then I purchased a Gen 4 27. I run it with no back strap added. I enjoy the 27 more then the 22 now.

Lawmaker
09-26-11, 19:40
G19 is perfect for me.

Javelin
09-26-11, 19:49
Mine fit my hand pretty well. Though I wish they made a little more knuckle room under the trigger guard.

trinydex
09-27-11, 01:58
Mine only fit after grip reduction. If there were no grooves id consider not reducing my glock grips. Since theres lame alienating grooves, ive just opted to change the whole grip profile.

viperashes
09-27-11, 02:20
I have both a Gen 3 19 and 26. Both fit my hands well. My dad has larger hands and didn't fit the finger grooves as well as some, so I bought him a Gen 2 G17 and he loves it. The great thing about Glocks is that there is an endless amount of things you can do, permanent or add-on that will make them fit you better.

Texaspoff
09-27-11, 06:52
Glocks fit my hand perfectly......after I finish with them. :neo: TXPO

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/G19005.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/097.jpg

elia.jon1
09-27-11, 07:01
i carry a second gen 17 that fits great. i love it have had it for years.

also if its not the fullsize i have a glock 29 that fits my big hands great, feels nice...now my friends and my wife hate that one

okie john
09-27-11, 15:58

I had a G19 reduced almost exactly like that. I recently got a stock G19 and I'm finding it easy to shoot well. Once I get a timer, I'm going to see which one is consistently faster.

Okie John

Axcelea
09-27-11, 18:23
I'm one who from time to time will do multiple pistols, not sure what that has to do with biasing people against Glock grips since if it wasn't for actual trigger time with different pistols I would probably not be a Glock fan. Can actually shoot a Glock 19 after another pistol makes my hands cranky just to let them recover. Guess the sum is, other grips feel better until there is actual shooting done.

I don't have a wrap around feel but it is very comfortable and just seems to click with me while actually shooting.

Nephrology
09-27-11, 18:30
One thing I've done as of late is to add black "hockey tape" on my Gen 3 19 and 26. Helps lock my grip in place slightly, and unlike higher grip friction tapes, doesnt catch on a shirt or jacket when I'm carrying.

zodtgr8
09-27-11, 21:06
I have small-ish hands and when wrapped around my G17 RTF, the grip was okay but I did have to add extended controls in order to be able to maximize ability to manipulate it.
That said, when I get a G19 to complement it I will give serious thought to a grip reduction.

Nephrology
09-27-11, 22:32
I have small-ish hands and when wrapped around my G17 RTF, the grip was okay but I did have to add extended controls in order to be able to maximize ability to manipulate it.
That said, when I get a G19 to complement it I will give serious thought to a grip reduction.

Are you choking up on the gun? I have tiny hands (same size as my sister's, no shame here) and I can manipulate the slide lock with my right thumb no problem.

The mag release does require a shift in grip, I added an extended mag release (factory) and filed it down til it was roughly the height of the width of the pistol with a TLR-1 installed. that way I can place it down on a desk and not worry about actuating the mag release. It is almost always used with the TLR1, and when I amusing it without it is for IDPA.

YMMV but it's a good solution for me.

JonInWA
09-28-11, 08:42
I shoot much better with my Gen 3 Glocks (G17, G19, G21, G34) that previously owned Gen 2s (G23, G27)-the relatively small amounts of material subtracted from the frontstrap between the fingergrooves, and the slightly revised rear backstrap tang area, and the side thumb indents all make a significant, and beneficial difference to me.

While my hand physically displaces differently on my G21 than the others, and the G19 feels best of all, I tend to shoot well with all of them-probably best with the G19 and the G17 (very slightly better with the G19).

Bottom line: They're a tool, and after a period of familiarization, one tends to adjust quite well, and shoot correspondingly well, with said tool-in most cases.

Best, Jon

Littlelebowski
09-28-11, 08:44
I Guess the sum is, other grips feel better until there is actual shooting done.

Exactly.

Magsz
09-28-11, 09:45
Ive said this before and i will say it again.

So long as there are no spikes, barbs, poison darts or boils on the pistol, i believe the only criteria of "fit" that really matter is whether or not one can reach the controls and acquire a PROPER, FIRM, LOCKED grip.

For me, i find it easier to lock my grip with my reaction hand on the Glock series of pistols. This in turn translates into ideal recoil management and sight tracking.

IF my finger couldnt reach the trigger no matter how well my hands appear to lock into the grip, i would not be able to shoot the gun.

Doxiedad
10-05-11, 05:17
I've never had a problem. My G22 was the first pistol I bought so I don't have a lot to compare it too. For me it isn't a big deal.

Scorpion
10-07-11, 21:12
snip

I tried this grip with my M&P... if you are right-handed and have any trouble with your groups being slightly left (as I did), what he suggested in this post works, and not just with Glocks.

Thanks for the advice. Great post.

trinydex
10-07-11, 21:24

The fourth gen glock shoulda looked something like this

Matt-J2
10-07-11, 23:43
I don't own a Glock, and never have soo....I'm just adding noise I think.
Anyhow, I did shoot a G19 gen 3 in 2008 at the Great Outdoors Festival. Also happens to be when I met R. Lee Ermey, since he was there promoting for Glock. :) Anyhow, it was all slowfire stuff, but I swear I pointed that pistol and holes appeared right where I wanted them to, as if by some magic. Might have been the good luck charm from Ermey patting me on the back on the way to the line, I dunno. I've kind of wanted a G19 since that day, though, and have bought more than a couple other pistols since then. Only have one of them left, come to think, my S&W 637. I think the reason is that while it fired well, when I go hold one in the store and grab it and 'point' as if drawing and such, it winds up pointing notably left and high. The logic part of my brain(tucked in back apparently) says that practice will overcome that habit, but emotion says...something else. At one point I went with the CZ 75B because it was sexy, and felt nice in the store, but damn I shot that thing horribly, way low. Also, my finger couldn't really manipulate the trigger in DA, that's a long reach!
Long story ending: I'm in the market again for a good pistol, something to shoot USPSA/3 gun/etc with, and reading through this I think I need to take another look at the G19, maybe try the grip illustrated earlier in this thread. Ponder, ponder.....

Odglock
10-08-11, 12:35
Fit like a glove. Great thing about polymer though is it can be reshaped if it doesn't fit you.

Muzzy
10-08-11, 23:54
Do you shoot it well and it does not hurt to shoot?

That is all that really matters.

If it feels a bit funny so what.

xcibes
10-09-11, 08:49
I do not have one yet, but the Gen4 G17 fits me rather well. The Gen3 G19 for a long time felt weird but now it feels right after some help from my friend Templar.

Militant83
10-09-11, 21:21

Just curious.

Ive got a 17,23, and 26 all of which fit my hand nicely

VIP3R 237
10-09-11, 21:53
I didn't like the feel of the glock until I bought one and now everything else feels weird. Well except the hk p30. I've worked in firearms retail for almost 10 years now and most of the glock haters who come in and complain about the grip angle and blocky feel have never owned a glock.

soldier-of-the-apocalypse
10-09-11, 22:37
I love my g21sf with talon grips but I don't have girly bitch hands so that helps

bigrobbierob
10-10-11, 00:42
I have big hands so my new to me G17 RTF fits my hand nicely. Really fills it up. Added a GF adaptor and it has become MY perfect handgun as far as fit goes.

Nephrology
10-10-11, 04:51
I love my g21sf with talon grips but I don't have girly bitch hands so that helps

I have girly bitch hands and I shot the regular G21, non sissy-frame version just fine.

Jim D
10-10-11, 10:55
I never thought Glocks "fit my hand" before I learned to shoot.

Now they all "fit" great.

SW-Shooter
10-10-11, 13:06
Both the Glock 30Sf and 21 Sf fit my hands perfectly. I can't leave out the 19 I own either. I'd seriously look into the Sf frames.

dirt_diver
10-10-11, 13:13
I have girly bitch hands and I shot the regular G21, non sissy-frame version just fine.

That was priceless. LMAO.

tpd223
10-10-11, 13:14
"Feel" is one of the very most overrated ways to evaluate a pistol.

As has been said, "Until they make pistols feel like a C cup "feel" is useless in picking a pistol".

It is a mater of if the gun fits or not, and even if it does not, can you shoot it well?

I absolutely hated Glocks when I first had a chance to shoot them in like 1989, now I have so many thousands of rounds through the platform many other guns feel like a football-bat when I pick them up.

Other guns don't fit me really, example being that J frame .38s are too small, but I can still shoot them very effectively so it matters not since they fill a critical mission for me.