PDA

View Full Version : Rails

jrmymiles
09-19-11, 09:59
Ok gents. I have some learning to do. Im looking for a quality rail. This is only going to be used for a light and grip. I have 2 picked out. The 1st one is the DD EZ car. The 2nd is the factory seconds Knights. Both are $150.00. I know they are both quality rails. My question is the Knight rail normally is over $300.00. What makes it command such a price tag?

markm
09-19-11, 11:11
I know they are both quality rails. My question is the Knight rail normally is over $300.00. What makes it command such a price tag?

Knight's Car and gun collection make their products so expensive. ;)

The knight's "blemish" or whatever sits on 3 of my guns. I think the "L" and "R" numbers are on the wrong sides is all.

I'd go with that rail. I prefer the rail heights of the KAC all day long over the aftermarket stuff.

samuse
09-19-11, 11:15
KAS is a good rail, I have one on my 6920, it's solid.

Look around in the EE, you'll find a better deal. Eurodriver had one listed last week I think...

justin_247
09-20-11, 04:54
The KAC RAS is AWESOME!

I'm not a fan of the DD EZ CAR, though... it's pretty fat - I'd rather have a Troy drop-in rail than a DD EZ CAR.

fixit69
09-20-11, 07:11
I only have Troy and DD left on my rifles. The KAC are nice, but I couldn't swing the price tag when I bought mine. I sold the others I had bought(many other brands),again, another learning process.

Eurodriver
09-20-11, 07:13
KAS is a good rail, I have one on my 6920, it's solid.

Look around in the EE, you'll find a better deal. Eurodriver had one listed last week I think...

Just sold it a few days ago.

There is absolutely no reason to buy a KAC rail brand new, but every reason to buy one used. Military guys "acquiring" them has flooded the market, I had guys offering me $50 shipped for my set.

I feel lucky I got $100 plus shipping. I had it listed on four different sites and it still took over a week.

If you can get a KAC for <$150, the KAC rail is outstanding.

wahoo95
09-20-11, 07:28
A less expensive option for mounting a light and vfg would be a set of MOE handguards.

munch520
09-20-11, 07:37
A less expensive option for mounting a light and vfg would be a set of MOE handguards.

x2 I was just re-reading the OP and thought about this. My DD came with an Omega rail so I used it, but like you I only had a grip and light on it (OK...and a front sight). But if you're buying it to add to a build then I'd go with a MOE. A number of options for mounting, much less expensive, and ergonomically better. But you are limited on positions obviously.

ETA: haven't tried this yet, but I will. If you go with a MOE, this might be worth looking into for a mount. http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/category/mount-n-slot/light-mount/

jrmymiles
09-20-11, 08:42
Thanks for the replies. I have the Magpul guards on the gun now. Not really digging them. I know that they will work, just want alittle more of a solid platform.

munch520
09-20-11, 08:55
solid as in non-polymer or is your handguard loose?

duece71
09-20-11, 09:32
I bought a Midwest industries 2 piece rail for my S&W. Nice rail for not a lot of money. It is fairly light and is robust despite being the 2 piece kind. However, I bought 2 of the Magpul MOE HGs (for my Colt and RRA/BCM mid) and really like them. I used the IWC Mount and Slot for a Surefire light and I am planning on using the IWC QD mount for a sling. Very nice set up and economical as well.
Another thing to consider is how much "stuff" do you plan on putting on the rail?? Most of that rail space is just that, space. It usually ends up being covered up by a panel or ladder of some sort.

Stickman
09-20-11, 09:43
....just want alittle more of a solid platform.

Sounds like you might want to lean towards a FF rail in that case.

crusader377
09-20-11, 14:04
I have been very happy with the DD EZ CAR rail. It is light yet very solid and took only about 2 minutes to install.

I would also look at the FF DD Omega rails.

jrmymiles
09-20-11, 16:32
The more I think about it maybe it would be best if I just poney up the extra and just go with a free float. That way if I decide to mount an optic later I will be GTG. Im in no rush. I just wanted to be an informed buyer.

Failure2Stop
09-20-11, 16:41
The new trend of modular handguards (such as the Troy Extreme) are a really clever way to reduce weight, give a nice grip, reduce snag, AND drop cost.
They do get warm under a very fast firing tempo, but most people never notice.