PDA

View Full Version : Painting front sight

montanadave
09-19-11, 11:35
I've got a Springfield 1911 MC Operator with the stock night sights. The tritium tube doesn't have the white ring and is relatively small diameter. During a class a couple of weeks ago, I was losing the front sight against black steel targets and in shadows (old eyes syndrome) and wanted to try painting the front sight to see if this helped before going to the expense of replacing the sights with fiber optics, a big dot, or something similar.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to cover/protect the tritium insert so I don't paint over it?

CAVDOC
09-19-11, 11:42
wear reading glasses and read the front sight

Magsz
09-19-11, 12:49
Paint pens or nail polish.

Apply a clear coat of nail polish over whatever you apply. Its fairly durable, very easy to pick up and works very well for acquiring and maintaining your front sight during recoil.

CDDM416
09-19-11, 13:11
I use Sally Hansen Hard as Nails, in Sun kissed.
I have no problem seeing the sight. :jester:

rathos
09-19-11, 13:23
I use a paint pen on my Springer Loaded. After the paint is on I carefully run a q-tip over the tritium insert to make sure I didn't get any paint on it. After it dries I paint over it with clear coat nail polish. Usually holds up to 3-4 cleanings, or more if I am really careful with the action blaster when cleaning.

grant p
09-19-11, 19:48
Use the paint of your choice, a small brush, and a steady hand.
If you get paint on the capsule, you can remove it with a toothpick.
I use a white paint pen to prep the sight and then use Birchwood Casey ultra high vis orange paint.

HeadHunter originally introduced me to the concept of painting the front sight.
Check out an article from him-
http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/handguns/improve-your-snubs-sights/

Here is another article on painting your front sight-
http://pistol-training.com/articles/the-johno-diy-high-visibility-front-sight

BCmJUnKie
09-19-11, 20:21
My girlfriend has some flourescent green nailpolish I have been using for years.

Its super bright even in low light. I then steal the clear coat to put over the top cause its kind of chalky and will chip.

I prefer the green because it contrasts against the red dot.

Magsz
09-19-11, 20:23
My girlfriend has some flourescent green nailpolish I have been using for years.

Its super bright even in low light. I then steal the clear coat to put over the top cause its kind of chalky and will chip.

I prefer the green because it contrasts against the red dot.

Degrease your front sight very well and the nail polish will adhere in a smoother manner.

BCmJUnKie
09-19-11, 20:26
Degrease your front sight very well and the nail polish will adhere in a smoother manner.

I learned that lesson lol.

sniperfrog
09-19-11, 20:48
Nail polish is good stuff. My last unit we used it to mark weapons for each individual. These guns saw salt water, sand, snow, dirt and alot of abuse and the nail polish never came off.

Lincoln7
09-19-11, 21:52
I use automotive touch up paint with good success. The Torch Red for my vette makes for a great front sight on my 1911.

DocGKR
09-20-11, 19:25
Model paint works well. Another option is reflective tape--I've used this technique for several years and it works VERY well: http://pistol-training.com/articles/the-johno-diy-high-visibility-front-sight.

dojpros
09-21-11, 00:34
I am partial to mango colored fp polish from walmart- 1.77 a bottle.
I reapply about once a quarter or before a class with a toothpick and the oem brush.