PDA

View Full Version : Shotshow 2012

arcticsniper
09-19-11, 14:19
I didn't know where to put this tread so i tried here...

For the last 3 years I have stayed up all night looking all over the internet for the latest news during the shotshow.

being a huge firearms fan, collector and shooter, I have a big problem.

Everytime i buy a new gun or gear I can only read about it online before i order it, since there isn't that many people that own or stores that have the different models for me to look at.

So this year I am planning to fly in from Norway to attend shotshow, but of course there is one big problem.

As far as I understand there is restricted access to the expo, so my question is...

Does anyone know how to get access to shotshow???

Is there any companys out there that is willing to help out a guy spending all his hard earned cash to travel to Shotshow with an access card???

Romanov
10-12-11, 07:00
The easiest way for you is probably going to be to get a press pass.

QuietShootr
10-12-11, 07:15
I sure hope for your sake it's better this year than last year. Last year it sucked out loud.

sonrider657
10-13-11, 18:32
Call your favorite dealer and ask them to get you a pass or wear high heels and a mini-skirt and they'll think you're a booth bunny ;)

Boomer10
10-14-11, 08:19
I think this should've gone into General Discussion.

All of the information on who is allowed to attend the SHOT Show is on their site, http://www.shotshow.org

plaskon
11-20-11, 10:03
I sure hope for your sake it's better this year than last year. Last year it sucked out loud.

Even Milspec Monkey's interview with Magpul (which is typically sensational) was blah.

2 pew-pews out of 5.

ST911
11-20-11, 11:43
Part of the problem with SHOT is that it's becoming increasingly saturated by consumers rather than genuine industry folks. Dilution of product, presentation, and business potential is a logical result.

It's not a gunshow/gearshow for the masses.

Von Rheydt
11-20-11, 18:23
Even Milspec Monkey's interview with Magpul (which is typically sensational) was blah.

2 pew-pews out of 5.

He runs around with all his bag carriers in tow and almost totally over runs an unsuspecting exhibit.

I find it amazing how many 5.11 pant & black polo shirt wearing, camelbak tri-zip carrrying, mag-pulled iphone using people were wearing rigger belts last year. Y'know, all the people that manage to scam a ticket, go on the first day to collect as many freebies as possible and then disappear to their respective gun clubs, gun shops and garages to stroke the free hats, key rings and brochutes they have managed to collect.

Last year it was the thursday before it was quiet enough for a security guard to even bother asking me to look at my [press] pass. Being the evil ex-military, ex-LEO type person that I am I had figured out within half an hour how to get into the show without a pass - not difficult. And, to be honest, I would guess that on day one there is a good percentage of those who go in that do not have passes.

With that said though, if you are coming from Noggie Land I would make sure that you have a pass to get in as it is a long way to come just to be turned away at the door. My advice:

1. If you are military or reserve get an official letter written saying that you are a military representative who has input to procurement, or
2. If you have a friendly gun shop owner ask him to write a letter to say you are his official representative, or
3. If you know anyone at a local newspaper, magazine, radio staion, tv station get them to say you are a press representative.
4. The easiest way, in my opinion, is to start an online blog, make sure it has a decent amount of content and then you will get a press pass. It seemed to work for all the airsofters and milspec monkey.

C4IGrant
11-20-11, 18:37
Part of the problem with SHOT is that it's becoming increasingly saturated by consumers rather than genuine industry folks. Dilution of product, presentation, and business potential is a logical result.

Bingo.

C4

Silent
11-20-11, 21:20
Shot is going downhill for an experience but it is still a good place to get to handle the latest / greatest and see some new stuff

Von Rheydt
11-21-11, 08:11
This year I spoke with one of the organising crew and was told that it is all about the numbers. When they moved it to Orlando they had around 50,000'ish attendees, in Vegas they have 75,000'ish.

From a large manufacturers or importers perspective they want to see as many potential buyers either retail or end user as they can. The big boy manufacturers and importers are comfortable in the knowledge that retail operations need to buy product .......... and where else are they going to go.

The smaller operations need to get out there or no one will even know they exist. They really want to be seeing retail ops buyers to get their stuff out in stores. But, seeing the $$$$ holding public does'nt harm them too much.

I used to attend euro events and help out a journo friend by taking pics on his behalf for a couple of magazines. Now that I am here its the same deal but with the Shot Show - I am classed as a part time photo journo. To be honest the main Shot Show is much more open door that most euro events.

That said, there are a lot of events arranged around Vegas by major arms, ammo and gear companies that you will not even know happen - I don't mean the parties. These are where the fire power and gear demo's happen and the big buck contracts start to be arranged. These events are predominantly military (forget if if you are under half colonel) and in some cases heads of major city spec ops departments.

Then for the press you have the shot show press range day which lets all the gun comic and blog writers loose on the range with the main stream retail toys. But all these "serious gun writers" seem to congregate at one particular area of the range where it is just the full auto gear. You can spot the guys there for bona fide gun comics because they are the ones who arrive when the day starts and stay till the end working every stand not just arse licking for an hour to fire a brand name manufacturers new .50 cal rifle.

For any importer or manufacturer the press range day is where they need to book space to show off what they have. That way you have ONLY the un divided attention of about 500 - 700 members of the gun press for a whole day. All the major manufacturers are there because they know that there is control on who gets a press pass - you can't just go to CNN or the New York Times and get your friend to give you a press pass added to which you need a letter of official assignment from your publisher/editor/owner/blogmeister.

C4IGrant, I feel for you but the organisers need as many people through as possible to make it viable for the manufacturers and importers. I was actually very surprised in the show when it was obvious that a few exhibitors were openly retailing stuff out to attendees. In a euro show I saw a couple of major international exhibitors threatened with stand closure for the same activity. So, if they are already selling stuff off stands now the decline has started and it could eventually turn into the worlds biggest gun show.

C4IGrant
11-21-11, 08:17
This year I spoke with one of the organising crew and was told that it is all about the numbers. When they moved it to Orlando they had around 50,000'ish attendees, in Vegas they have 75,000'ish.

From a large manufacturers or importers perspective they want to see as many potential buyers either retail or end user as they can. The big boy manufacturers and importers are comfortable in the knowledge that retail operations need to buy product .......... and where else are they going to go.

The smaller operations need to get out there or no one will even know they exist. They really want to be seeing retail ops buyers to get their stuff out in stores. But, seeing the $$$$ holding public does'nt harm them too much.

I used to attend euro events and help out a journo friend by taking pics on his behalf for a couple of magazines. Now that I am here its the same deal but with the Shot Show - I am classed as a part time photo journo. To be honest the main Shot Show is much more open door that most euro events.

That said, there are a lot of events arranged around Vegas by major arms, ammo and gear companies that you will not even know happen - I don't mean the parties. These are where the fire power and gear demo's happen and the big buck contracts start to be arranged. These events are predominantly military (forget if if you are under half colonel) and in some cases heads of major city spec ops departments.

Then for the press you have the shot show press range day which lets all the gun comic and blog writers loose on the range with the main stream retail toys. But all these "serious gun writers" seem to congregate at one particular area of the range where it is just the full auto gear. You can spot the guys there for bona fide gun comics because they are the ones who arrive when the day starts and stay till the end working every stand not just arse licking for an hour to fire a brand name manufacturers new .50 cal rifle.

For any importer or manufacturer the press range day is where they need to book space to show off what they have. That way you have ONLY the un divided attention of about 500 - 700 members of the gun press for a whole day. All the major manufacturers are there because they know that there is control on who gets a press pass - you can't just go to CNN or the New York Times and get your friend to give you a press pass added to which you need a letter of official assignment from your publisher/editor/owner/blogmeister.

C4IGrant, I feel for you but the organisers need as many people through as possible to make it viable for the manufacturers and importers. I was actually very surprised in the show when it was obvious that a few exhibitors were openly retailing stuff out to attendees. In a euro show I saw a couple of major international exhibitors threatened with stand closure for the same activity. So, if they are already selling stuff off stands now the decline has started and it could eventually turn into the worlds biggest gun show.

This may be true for the SMALL boys, but the big companies that have rep groups, despise it. They spend what limited time they have talking to people that can't even buy ONE ITEM. There are dealer and distrb.'s there (like me) trying to place large orders and I cannot get any help. :rolleyes:

C4

markm
11-21-11, 08:25

THIS! I dread the forum ****tardery surrounding SHOT every year.

I absolutely hate SHOT show time.

Nathan_Bell
11-21-11, 11:02

All major trade shows are turning into this.

SEMA, CES, and SHOT all are becoming vacation trips for those only vaguely attached to the respective industries.
The event organizers could put a stop to this, but they want to be able to claim that 130k+ attended the show, so that they can whack exhibitors for a bit more $$.
Marketing folks, who are generally clueless as to what makes a good contact or a worthless one. buy into those numbers year after year, not realizing that a show that had half as many useful attendees would be a much better investment.

JSantoro
11-21-11, 11:17
Last year, I got some enjoyment out of the wheeled-cart-dragging schwaghounds by kicking their carts while they walked, especially if they just stopped dead in their tracks so that they could answer a damned phone. Absolutely hate the damned "charioteers..."

SHOT is boned because they appear to make very little effort to enforce their own rules. It's annoying to jump through hoops that effectively don't even exist in any real sense, more annoying to see the effects of those hoops' lack of substance. In a town known for having it's velvet-rope sections, it's pretty galling.

There's a part of me disappointed that I'll not make it this year because I'll be missing out on rubbing elbows with some very good friends, the opportunity to meet others....new friends and new industry contacts (not always the same thing :p ).

The bigger part of me is freaking relieved that I'll not be risking arrest from assaulting the 5gal douchebags they let ooze their in.

And then I remember the post-Xmas/post-SHOT internet halfwit surge.... :suicide:

FML....

markm
11-21-11, 11:40
I feel like staying off the gun forums a month before and after SHOT.

People are always asking me if I'm going to SHOT..... WHY? I wouldn't want to go if I WAS in the industry.

Titleist
11-21-11, 12:02
It's usually fun just to see industry contacts. But I've long since followed the belief that if you're not there to make large purchases for departments, a store, or legit press (not a blog), shut the hell up and let people who need to get the face-time do so.

When it gets horrible is when as stated you have a web-crew roll in and dominate a booth for what amounts to a youtube clip. Especially when they steamroll people there on legitimate business. Airsofters, not guys from the US, but I'm talking the dudes taking photos and sitting there with rulers, who you know are going back and ripping off these companies, are insufferable.

I'll be going this year, but again as Grant said, there's people there trying to do business. I've got a few projects I'm working on that require I go to discuss them, but I don't have a budget to spend on a hundred units of a particular gun. And thus I know that the reps time is valuable, and to not occupy their time.

Allow the people to do their business first, and know when to shut up. And yes the swag whoring is awful.

QuietShootr
11-21-11, 12:19
The blogger jackoffs are second only to the hordes of mainland Chinese with their cameras and rulers - you got that one right. Why that shit is allowed is an absolute mystery to me - the SHOT police are running around looking for people handing out flyers and shit, but they ignore the thousands of Asian ripoff artists just because they paid an entrance fee.

Grrrrr.

Bowser
11-21-11, 18:49
This will be my first SHOT show. Pretty much what has been said about jerk offs wasting time and taking up space has been what I've been told by fellow coworkers who go there to make orders for the year at SHOT. I'll be going with my bosses and manager for our little shop here in CA, and hopefully we get to order some neat guns for 2012. I'm really there to do some Vegas buffet hopping. :p

Any chance for a M4C meetup? Would definitely be cool to meet some of t he more prominent forum members.

J-Dub
11-21-11, 20:18
I think shotshow is awesome, but i also know that i have zero place being there.

I mean, i can look at the press pics, which is the same thing i'd be doing there.......LOOKING.

Leave it to the tactifools to ruin a good thing.

ST911
11-21-11, 20:56
If only those that belonged (subject to definition) could attend, what do you think the attendance would be? 5k?

Ak44
11-21-11, 20:58
I went in 2010....a lot of non industry folks kinda ruined it for me. Although I did enjoy the Bellagio buffet :cool:

C4IGrant
11-22-11, 08:00
If only those that belonged (subject to definition) could attend, what do you think the attendance would be? 5k?

No, much higher. Remember that LE and MIL can get in (legally).

C4

QuietShootr
11-22-11, 08:19

C4

Which, if you use the "we don't wanna talk to end users" argument, is kind of bullshit. 95% of the police and military running around in SHOT have about as much to do with procurement as Justin Bieber has to do with good music. Yeah, the 20 longhairs with big beards maybe can buy what they want, but even if each one of them bought the max their P-cards would hold it still wouldn't be but a drop in the bucket.

The guys to watch for are the civilians with SOCOM, Crane, or ARDEC on their badges. Everyone else is there for the same reason - to see cool shit.

"Bob's Tactical" that had total receipts of $200,000 last year didn't send eight people to the SHOT show with no-shit buying authority, they sent people because it was fun...and they don't issue big POs at SHOT. A lot of this "I hate it now because it's too public" is more gun-business elitism.

If Schmidt and Bender wants to talk distribution deals with Acusport, they don't need to send Hans, Franz, und eight little reindeer to Vegas to do it. Come on, people, it's a ****ing convention. For most people, it's an excuse to do some tax-deductible eating out, ****ing bar sluts, and being seen at the best 'cool guy' parties.

C4IGrant
11-22-11, 08:26
Which, if you use the "we don't wanna talk to end users" argument, is kind of bullshit. 95% of the police and military running around in SHOT have about as much to do with procurement as Justin Bieber has to do with good music. Yeah, the 20 longhairs with big beards maybe can buy what they want, but even if each one of them bought the max their P-cards would hold it still wouldn't be but a drop in the bucket.

The guys to watch for are the civilians with SOCOM, Crane, or ARDEC on their badges. Everyone else is there for the same reason - to see cool shit.

"Bob's Tactical" that had total receipts of $200,000 last year didn't send eight people to the SHOT show with no-shit buying authority, they sent people because it was fun...and they don't issue big POs at SHOT. A lot of this "I hate it now because it's too public" is more gun-business elitism.

If Schmidt and Bender wants to talk distribution deals with Acusport, they don't need to send Hans, Franz, und eight little reindeer to Vegas to do it. Come on, people, it's a ****ing convention. For most people, it's an excuse to do some tax-deductible eating out, ****ing bar sluts, and being seen at the best 'cool guy' parties.

I do not disagree. The people I know that run $15-20 million dollar operations send ONE person (the owner).

C4

JSantoro
11-22-11, 08:31
They'd never lose any numbers that way.

We have to remember, the the tactical/LE subsection is only one portion of the show. There's everything from cutlery, realtree camo clothing and meat-smokers there, too, so the place is a Fudd version of the Adult Video Awards.

I know I crab about the show, but I recognize the futility of it. The pool's got turds in it, no matter what. Only thing that changes is what kind of nuts the poo has in it.

hatt
11-22-11, 09:24
What are the vendors saying about these "people who shouldn't be there?" Like it or not, enthusiasts, bloggers, fanboys, etc help sell shit these days.

C4IGrant
11-22-11, 09:27
What are the vendors saying about these "people who shouldn't be there?" Like it or not, enthusiasts, bloggers, fanboys, etc help sell shit these days.

It depends I think. Meaning, if there are dealers there that are trying to spend money, then Joe Six Pack is in the way and costing them business. If they have nothing else to do, then they are more than happy to show off their products.

C4

hatt
11-22-11, 09:42
It depends I think. Meaning, if there are dealers there that are trying to spend money, then Joe Six Pack is in the way and costing them business. If they have nothing else to do, then they are more than happy to show off their products.

C4
But you never know how much that J6P is going to contribute to sales. Getting exposure that's then amplified on countless gun forums, gun stores, and blogs is going to maybe lead to sales. It's not like every product being sold is unique and sells itself. Many are selling questionable in usefulness/need gadgets, cosmetic differences and brands.

ST911
11-22-11, 09:42
C4

I'd wager that very few of those that go have any meaningful purchasing input or procurement authority.

C4IGrant
11-22-11, 09:45
But you never know how much that J6P is going to contribute to sales. Getting exposure that's then amplified on countless gun forums, gun stores, and blogs is going to maybe lead to sales. It's not like every product being sold is unique and sells itself. Many are selling questionable in usefulness gadgets, cosmetic differences and brands.

You assume that everyone that goes to Shot then jumps on the errornet and shares what he knows. I gurantee that someone like me will get a company WAY more exposure that J6P. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
11-22-11, 09:45
I'd wager that very few of those that go have any meaningful purchasing input or procurement authority.

True. I was just following the established rules for who gets in and who doesn't.

C4

hatt
11-22-11, 09:48
You assume that everyone that goes to Shot then jumps on the errornet and shares what he knows. I gurantee that someone like me will get a company WAY more exposure that J6P. ;)

C4
That's likely so. But you are few and J6P is many. Companies just want to sell stuff and every little bit of exposure helps.

Hopefully a manufacturer will join in.

C4IGrant
11-22-11, 10:13
That's likely so. But you are few and J6P is many. Companies just want to sell stuff and every little bit of exposure helps.

Hopefully a manufacturer will join in.

I am really not "few" because I have the capability to spend several HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS with said company AND THEN show their products all over the net and my my website.

This trumps what the J6P can do (even in MOB form).

C4

JSantoro
11-22-11, 10:42
J6P would get all sad and despondent if he were ever to discover just how many companies that enjoy he and his cronies' patronage only have commercial offerings in the first place because the large gov't or company-to-company contracts allow them to even THINK about commercial sales.

That's not devaluing J6Ps patronage in any way, that's just The World.

J6P's not a burglar or a spy, or even really a gnat.....he's a Labrador puppy. Ya love him, but he's frustrating as hell, sometimes. :p

jwfuhrman
11-22-11, 10:43
I'll be there Promoting my Signal Targets and speaking with or trying to speak with potential Series and Prize sponsors for the 2012 Indiana Multigun Series

QuietShootr
11-22-11, 10:44
J6P would get all sad and despondent if he were ever to discover just how many companies that enjoy he and his cronies' patronage only have commercial offerings in the first place because the large gov't or company-to-company contracts allow them to even THINK about commercial sales.

That's not devaluing J6Ps patronage in any way, that's just The World.

J6P's not a burglar or a spy, or even really a gnat.....he's a Labrador puppy. Ya love him, but he's frustrating as hell, sometimes. :p

I'd feel like the bitchers had a point if they kept the burglars and the spies out, but they're made more welcome than J6P, who just wants to see cool shit, not steal it and knock it off.

Titleist
11-22-11, 11:25
It's hard to sit there and complain when I'll be there meeting with some industry folks about some current projects and also doing side-duty for The Firearm Blog as a photographer. I don't blog, I don't have a leg to stand on as a pundit, so I'm keeping it to photos only.

That said, as has been stated before, stay out of peoples' way. If you don't have money to drop (bulk purchases) let the reps and buyers do what they need to do.

The only thing that chapped my ass was getting hassled for taking photos, despite having a press badge, and yet there as a gaggle of goddamn airsofters from japan walking around holding up rulers to KAC PDWs and taking photos. I wish they'd curb that shit something fierce.

I also do not understand how they allow companies like Condor, who are selling knock offs of Eagle or BAE gear, when they're like 4 booths apart from eachother. That shit just boggles my brain.

QuietShootr
11-22-11, 11:29
It's hard to sit there and complain when I'll be there meeting with some industry folks about some current projects and also doing side-duty for The Firearm Blog as a photographer. I don't blog, I don't have a leg to stand on as a pundit, so I'm keeping it to photos only.

That said, as has been stated before, stay out of peoples' way. If you don't have money to drop (bulk purchases) let the reps and buyers do what they need to do.

The only thing that chapped my ass was getting hassled for taking photos, despite having a press badge, and yet there as a gaggle of goddamn airsofters from China walking around holding up rulers to KAC PDWs and taking photos. I wish they'd curb that shit something fierce.

I also do not understand how they allow companies like Condor, who are selling knock offs of Eagle or BAE gear, when they're like 4 booths apart from eachother. That shit just boggles my brain.

A thousand times, this.

Just proves it's really about the money for the show organizers. If China wants to send 10,000 IP thieves to SHOT, SHOT will take their money and welcome them with a hearty handshake.

hatt
11-22-11, 11:59
I am really not "few" because I have the capability to spend several HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS with said company AND THEN show their products all over the net and my my website.

This trumps what the J6P can do (even in MOB form).

C4
I'm curious why all those guys are buying ads at the top of m4carbine.net, ar15.com, and elsewhere. Those are specifically targeting distributors, agencies, and retailers for large orders? I doubt it. Or is it J6P? If it's J6P, what's the difference between buying ads on websites/forums and talking to some blogger for a few minutes at Shot hoping he talks about your stuff on a website/forum?

JSantoro
11-22-11, 12:14
You're not curious, you're using thinly-veiled sarcasm to smokescreen what would otherwise be a peevish tone in regard to a losing position.

Advertising being a duh-factor to selling stuff doesn't magically give your argument any more validity, in sheer numbers or in $$$. Bringing it up only showcases how much you have investment you have in wanting it to be valid. You have about as much chance of success as you do of reaching the moon by squatting down and spitting between your feet really, really hard.

Consider, also, the possibility that you need to separate the bloggers who do that as a sidebar to their legitimate industry or end-user concerns/employment, and those that do it because it's illegal for anybody to stop them. The former aren't the problematic ones, as they have a certain professionalism carry over, whereas the latter has nothing more than a certain 4th Estate entitlement syndrome.

hatt
11-22-11, 12:37
Can you show me the stories where manufactures want all the riff raff out of Shot?

C4IGrant
11-22-11, 12:45
Can you show me the stories where manufactures want all the riff raff out of Shot?

Don't be silly. Never going to happen. Talk to them PRIVATELY, you get how frustrated they can be.

Remember that it costs TONS of money to setup a booth at Shot. In fact, it is so expensive (when you figure in logistics for the booth, employees, etc), that they could buy FULL COLOR ads in about every gun mag AND put banners on every gun forum for LESS MONEY than what it costs to put up a good sized booth at Shot.

So make no mistake, they are there to do business with people that can buy in quantity (dealers, OEM, Govt, etc).

C4

QuietShootr
11-22-11, 12:58

There won't be a "story", dude. But trust me, almost all of them have zero interest in talking to an end-user, unless said end-user is in Special Forces or something.

jwfuhrman
11-22-11, 12:59
Agreed with Grant. While the Steel Target industry is not our primary industry, the Wire Drawing Die industry is. Booth there, for a 10x10 booth, is $3500, for just the booth, then they charge for electrical hook up, your badges, and a "table" fee even if u bring ur own table. And 90% of the time at the bi-annual Major International show in Atlanta, no business even comes of it. It used to be good for business, now it's just a you gotta go or ppl think your outta business type thing. We don't setup a booth anymore, just walk around, speak with current customers, and any new. Problem is, the ****ing Japs are like rabbits and just multiple and look for free hand outs and get in your way.....

Didn't they learn after we nuked them.... Twice!?!?

NCPatrolAR
11-23-11, 21:27
When I first got into involved with firearms (outside the military) I thought it'd be cool to attend SHOT. Now; I have absolutely 0 interest in attending. Even if it was held locally I wouldnt go.

Iraqgunz
11-24-11, 04:08
Why in the name of all that is unholy do some people have to question every****ingthing that they see or hear?

markm
11-25-11, 08:38
When I first got into involved with firearms (outside the military) I thought it'd be cool to attend SHOT. Now; I have absolutely 0 interest in attending. Even if it was held locally I wouldnt go.

I'm going to set up a Beef Jerky booth this year! :cool:

ST911
11-25-11, 22:09
I'm going to set up a Beef Jerky booth this year! :cool:

Don't be dumb. Everyone knows the profit margins are better in the used paperback and Peruvian pan-flute tables.

jwfuhrman
01-11-12, 08:11
Who all from M4C is going to be there? Maybe some evening we can all get together and have sorta M4C hang out? I'll be staying at the Imperial, get in the morning of the 17th leave morning of 21st.

The 18th I'm attending the 3GN Finale.

markm
01-11-12, 08:16
Don't be dumb. Everyone knows the profit margins are better in the used paperback and Peruvian pan-flute tables.

I'm trying to divert my competition away from that endeavor!! :D

Eurodriver
01-11-12, 08:21
I feel the same about shot that Markm does about lwrc. Not only do you have to wait until April at the earliest for shit to be released, you have to deal with hoards of mall ninjas checking out and finger ****ing every new piece of gear out there. And to top it all off you have to listen to shot queers starting in November saying "don't buy anything now...shot is right around the corner."

****!

Titleist
01-11-12, 13:38
Who all from M4C is going to be there? Maybe some evening we can all get together and have sorta M4C hang out? I'll be staying at the Imperial, get in the morning of the 17th leave morning of 21st.

The 18th I'm attending the 3GN Finale.

An m4c meet up could be nice.

markm
01-11-12, 13:51
Iraqgunz could buy us all dinner!! :)

chadbag
01-11-12, 14:02
As long as I get the iPhone app I am doing for a client done in time I will be there the last two days talking to my vendors and pressing the flesh with my contacts.

I would be up to an M4C meet.

Chad

C4IGrant
01-11-12, 15:17
An m4c meet up could be nice.

Yep. I have the S&W Party on the 16th, but am free on the 17th.

C4

variablebinary
01-11-12, 15:36
I don't care about booth monkey and vendor ass hurt.

Bring on the pics of the booth whores, and gear.

jwfuhrman
01-11-12, 15:37
Plan on the night of the 17th? Seems to work for the majority?

Titleist
01-11-12, 16:07

17th would make sense, wednesday I'm busy at another party.

chadbag
01-11-12, 16:09

Have fun!

I arrive on the evening of the 18th and leave on the 21st so won't be able to do anything until Wed at earliest and Thursday or Friday definitely. (Friday is my bday so want to get a few people to go to Todai with me so I can get free dinner :-) )

Moose-Knuckle
01-11-12, 16:28
I don't care about booth monkey and vendor ass hurt.

Bring on the pics of the booth whores, and gear.

This.

Bowser
01-11-12, 22:13
I will be at the Imperial also with my coworker. We're 2 short Asian dudes.

TAZ
01-11-12, 22:16
Being a J6P, I'd love to go just once to say I've been and be around some cool gear. With that said, I'm also a decent person who understands that people are trying to do business and I would simply walk about and stay out of the way as much as possible. I'm the same way when I go gawking. I'm honest and upfront about my intentions and allow the sales person to move on to someone who has $ to spend. I hate it when people waste my time so I try not to do it to others.

Unfortunately, the J6P's won't get the boot. Like it or not, the hyped numbers sell tables and attract more vendors and therefore attract more people. It's a vicious circle and the more times things go round the more $$ the organizers, the hosting locations make...ad nauseum.

Maybe the organizers can help out the inexperienced trade show reps ID the J6P crowd by selling special non industry tickets that stand out. Like a blaze orange belt or vest that screams don't try to sell him anything, just let him grab the free Made in China keychain and finger **** the hardware and move on.

Also doesnt the industry have private rooms and invite only meetings set up where the real business happens?

RogerinTPA
01-11-12, 22:56
There needs to be a Shot Show pic thread.

thopkins22
01-11-12, 23:34
I've never been to SHOT, and I likely never will. But I've been to trade shows/conventions. Some are like this is described...I imagine it's a nightmare for folks trying to place orders. Others have far more IP and money at stake than SHOT show ever dreamed of and have next to zero press, but still manage to deal with industry folks who can't buy BY NOT DOING BUSINESS ON THE FLOOR.

If the companies aren't happy with the reality of what the show is, and the organizers won't change it in a meaningful way, then it's absolutely stupid for companies to try and sell their wares there. Either have a few guys hanging at the back of booth who exclusively take orders, or have them stay in town for a week or so after the show ends to deal. **** it, take out a suite in a hotel somewhere and send purchases there after hours For that matter, why does the business have to happen in Vegas at all?

Accept the reality of what happens is all I'm saying. Stinks for the guys like Grant until the manufacturers get their heads out of their asses though.

jwfuhrman
01-12-12, 07:13
Who ever is going to be at the show, and would like to meet, pm me and I'll get you my cell number.

scottryan
01-12-12, 16:11
If the companies aren't happy with the reality of what the show is, and the organizers won't change it in a meaningful way, then it's absolutely stupid for companies to try and sell their wares there. Either have a few guys hanging at the back of booth who exclusively take orders, or have them stay in town for a week or so after the show ends to deal. **** it, take out a suite in a hotel somewhere and send purchases there after hours For that matter, why does the business have to happen in Vegas at all?

Accept the reality of what happens is all I'm saying. Stinks for the guys like Grant until the manufacturers get their heads out of their asses though.

No shit.

What type of industry takes orders on a convention floor besides the shooting industry? None that I can think of.

In with modern email/internet/fax/computers, face to face transactions like this should be a thing of the past.

chadbag
01-12-12, 16:18
No shit.

What type of industry takes orders on a convention floor besides the shooting industry? None that I can think of.

Probably most of them do. At least the little guys with booths. Much cheaper than having to have an off site suite to conduct business at.

I have not been to other industry-only type conventions in any industries but I doubt they are much different.

Most suppliers/manufacturers/distributors will allow you to fax or email or call in your dealer orders as well after you press the flesh and get set up with them in person at the show. But having some simple order forms to fill out or a computer system set up to enter orders only makes sense. While you have the people there and excited about the product, get them to place an order before they think it over and decide not to.

Titleist
01-12-12, 16:58
Maybe I missed the debate, but I thought they couldn't handle orders due to a legality issue. Beats me.

Again I'm going as press, if you honestly believe that internet is press these days. My only gripe was getting harassed for having a camera will the asian airsofters were snapping photos with their cameras and I was getting shit while credentialed.

That said I'm bringing zip ties this time and basically throwing one through the wheels of any fat guys rolling in Hoverounds towing eggcarts.

chadbag
01-12-12, 17:03
Maybe I missed the debate, but I thought they couldn't handle orders due to a legality issue. Beats me.

They are not supposed to take money or sell actual items at the show. Taking order to take back to the office for fulfillment is OK

In other words, it is not a gunshow but a trade show. They are not selling their wares there.

Lots of people will however sell you their booth display items (non firearms of course) at the end of the last day for cheap so they don't have to haul it home. I got a nice Liger belt like 4 or 5 years ago for about 50% off that way :-)

Again I'm going as press, if you honestly believe that internet is press these days. My only gripe was getting harassed for having a camera will the asian airsofters were snapping photos with their cameras and I was getting shit while credentialed.

That said I'm bringing zip ties this time and basically throwing one through the wheels of any fat guys rolling in Hoverounds towing eggcarts.

Titleist
01-12-12, 17:16
That's exactly how it was described to me a few years ago as well.

I remember Arc'teryx selling stuff off as it was a nightmare to bring things back through customs.

I do know some companies were taking pre-orders on guns, but it was usually invitation only and usually something that's not done. I still bring my checkbook.

jwfuhrman
01-12-12, 17:17
Probably most of them do. At least the little guys with booths. Much cheaper than having to have an off site suite to conduct business at.

I have not been to other industry-only type conventions in any industries but I doubt they are much different.

Most suppliers/manufacturers/distributors will allow you to fax or email or call in your dealer orders as well after you press the flesh and get set up with them in person at the show. But having some simple order forms to fill out or a computer system set up to enter orders only makes sense. While you have the people there and excited about the product, get them to place an order before they think it over and decide not to.

The Wire Industry is my primary industry and our International Wire Show is just that, a Show. Its for the Vendors to show off product, speak with potential customers and then AFTER the show is over, like weeks following, is when you follow up on potential leads to business. THATS IT. Its for Showing off what you make/produce/offer.

Problem is, thanks to dick head Clinton, the majority of the wire industry went to China and Japan...... and those damn people just FLOOD the convention centers, get in the way, and literally have tried to steal shit because they think it belongs to them.

Luckily, my dad who runs the company I work for is 1 of 5 people left in the WORLD that still knows how to make certain types of Carbide Wire Drawing dies, and we are taking business back from overseas because everyone is learning, just because its cheap and they get it faster, doesn't mean its worth a flying ****.

chadbag
01-12-12, 18:19
The Wire Industry is my primary industry and our International Wire Show is just that, a Show. Its for the Vendors to show off product, speak with potential customers and then AFTER the show is over, like weeks following, is when you follow up on potential leads to business. THATS IT. Its for Showing off what you make/produce/offer.

I am betting that the other trade shows that deal in consumer goods work similarly. If the prime clientele of the show is the dealer networks for the product, they will want to take orders there. It is a "trade" show. Part of trade is orders.

Skiing/snowboard type shows, hunting, outdoors, etc. I bet you they are all similar.

What is wrong with a dealer placing an order with his rep at a show?

Why all the venom against the dealers placing orders at SHOT?

Problem is, thanks to dick head Clinton, the majority of the wire industry went to China and Japan...... and those damn people just FLOOD the convention centers, get in the way, and literally have tried to steal shit because they think it belongs to them.

Luckily, my dad who runs the company I work for is 1 of 5 people left in the WORLD that still knows how to make certain types of Carbide Wire Drawing dies, and we are taking business back from overseas because everyone is learning, just because its cheap and they get it faster, doesn't mean its worth a flying ****.

Moose-Knuckle
01-12-12, 18:42
What type of industry takes orders on a convention floor besides the shooting industry?

In with modern email/internet/fax/computers, face to face transactions like this should be a thing of the past.

Shower curtain hook salesmen:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/johncandy1.png

jwfuhrman
01-12-12, 20:21
I am betting that the other trade shows that deal in consumer goods work similarly. If the prime clientele of the show is the dealer networks for the product, they will want to take orders there. It is a "trade" show. Part of trade is orders.

Skiing/snowboard type shows, hunting, outdoors, etc. I bet you they are all similar.

What is wrong with a dealer placing an order with his rep at a show?

Why all the venom against the dealers placing orders at SHOT?

No venom, just stating what went on in other industries trade shows. The smart thing to do would be have 1 guy that the dealers can come to, say this is what we want, then after the show they can get the orders processed.

chadbag
01-12-12, 20:32
No venom, just stating what went on in other industries trade shows. The smart thing to do would be have 1 guy that the dealers can come to, say this is what we want, then after the show they can get the orders processed.

Why would that be smart? What does it accomplish? What is wrong with the current system of allowing a dealer to place an order when he visits the booth?

The main clientele of the SHOT Show are the dealers etc that sell the products shown. Secondary clientele are government and other direct purchasers.

It would seem to me that taking orders from the dealers is one of the main functions of your booth at the show.

Now, lots of people place their orders when they get back after having gotten catalogs, literature, etc. But some like to get in early on the sales list or otherwise transact the business face to face. (And get whatever show discounts they offer to get your business right then).

jwfuhrman
01-12-12, 20:56
I'm just applying what works for my industry is all. Its Trade Show, not a Gun Show...... Trade Shows are for showing off, Gun Shows are for selling stuff.

If the NSSF actually gave a rats ass, they would limit it to Dealers and Manufacturers only like its supposed to be. It seems like it doesn't take much to get in the door now. All the NSSF is concerned about is selling booths.

Brimstone
01-12-12, 21:02
I am a little irritated about SHOT this year. I have my pass and was looking forward to going again and my boss decided he needed me to handle something in Missouri that week instead.

Titleist
01-12-12, 21:03
If the NSSF actually gave a rats ass, they would limit it to Dealers and Manufacturers only like its supposed to be. It seems like it doesn't take much to get in the door now. All the NSSF is concerned about is selling booths.

Bingo!

chadbag
01-12-12, 21:27
I'm just applying what works for my industry is all. Its Trade Show, not a Gun Show...... Trade Shows are for showing off, Gun Shows are for selling stuff.

People aren't selling things. It is not a gun show and does not behave like on. Taking an order from a dealer is not what you do at a gun show. It is what you do at a trade show.

Supposedly it is limited to those groups (plus press, government folks, and other industry types like independent reps, etc). Those J6P getting in are doing it through a local store or dealer they are friends with. They are not signing up themselves.

I am not sure what you mean by "selling booths". J6P getting in does not let them sell more booths. In fact, it probably would turn away people from buying booths. Since they are not there to sell to end users or to sell anything at the show itself, which is forbidden (though the last day selling off of samples is overlooked), letting in J6P is counter productive. So your comment makes no sense.

(In fact this year they have turned away some companies supposedly, who have been there in the past but which were not strictly firearm/hunting/tactical related, from having a booth and they have had other exhibitors tone down their booths and make them smaller, supposedly to get more of the meat and potatoes firearms exhibitors to be able to have a better chance at a good display).

Iraq Ninja
01-12-12, 22:29
I will be at SHOT for the whole week if anyone wants to link up. I will also try an upload pics if possible here. For our company, it is a good time to go face to face with the folks we are associated with.

The registration this year seemed a bit more stringent than in the past.

Iraqgunz
01-12-12, 23:46
We need to link up. I should be there Monday if all goes well. I will be staying at Circus Circus.

I will be at SHOT for the whole week if anyone wants to link up. I will also try an upload pics if possible here. For our company, it is a good time to go face to face with the folks we are associated with.

The registration this year seemed a bit more stringent than in the past.

Irish
01-13-12, 00:02
We need to link up. I should be there Monday if all goes well. I will be staying at Circus Circus.

Have you been there before? Might be slightly better than a tent in the desert but the "clientel" is rather ummm... super ghetto and the place is a shithole.

Our plan to meet up is smoked unfortunately. I have pressing business out of state that I have to attend to so have a good time.

Anyone reading this attending SHOT. I highly recommend eating at a Spanish tapas restaurant called Firefly, the location on Paradise. Close to the strip, 5 minute drive, and has fantastic food for very reasonable cost. Every person I've taken there loves it and they don't try to rape you on prices like all the tourist places. The sangria's pretty darn good too. A party of 4 can get stuffed and have drinks for less than $100.

If you're a sushi lover and have wheels I'd definitely recommend Sen of Japan. The absolute best sushi in Vegas and no tourists. It is a 15 minute drive off the Strip but is out of this world good. If anybody wants any other recommendations let me know.

They also just opened this place... Looks interesting. :) http://machinegunsvegas.com

Titleist
01-13-12, 01:02
Iraq (gunz and ninja), would love to meet up sometime during SHOT.

jwfuhrman
01-13-12, 07:44
I'm just going off how the Wire Industry, the Boating Industry(Thunderbird/Formula Boats in Decatur, IN) and the RV Industry(Fleetwood Motor Homes are built in Decatur, IN) work as I've been to all 3 Industry trade shows. They are strictly trade shows with orders, even from dealers, being placed AFTER the show. It makes the shows flow more smoothly, questions get answered easier, and it cuts down on the amount of days that people have to be there. The Wire International show is only 2 days and has companies from every inhabited continent except Africa.

I'll shoot you guys a pm with my cell. Titlist got me his cell and he has mine.

Be cool to put faces to the names. That way ya'll know I look just as retarded as some of my posts lol

markm
01-13-12, 08:24

Maybe it's a "look at me" tradition???

Look at me.... I just ordered 10,000 6920s!!! Then you go back to your email and snip 3 zeros off of your order in the privacy of your hotel room! :D

Steve
01-13-12, 08:41

Make sure you find me:D

rob_s
01-13-12, 08:51
Make sure you find me:D

But you're so small, and easily missed...

:sarcastic:

QuietShootr
01-18-12, 20:39
Early reports are this year sucks even harder than last year did. And last year blew goats.

Glad I didn't mess with it this year.

J8127
01-19-12, 00:00
I went last year with our units supply guy to find gear for us and it was a goddamn circus. I went and looked at some cold weather gear and ended up playing with guns the rest of the time because nothing new was on display.

Bowser
01-19-12, 00:47
I looked at the S&W clothing line being made by Wild Things. They're outsourced to Jordan with similar fabrics as the Wild Things line. i liked what I saw, but then again, I am a tactical nylon newb. Well, just a newb in general.

markm
01-19-12, 08:21
No pics of our Mods/Members yet? With Mike Tyson's Tiger??:sarcastic:

QuietShootr
01-19-12, 08:28

What do Tigers dream of? When they take a little tiger snooze. Do they dream of mauling zebras or Halle Berry in her Catwoman suit?

markm
01-19-12, 08:40
That's a great number. We used to belt it out loud at home all the time..

C4IGrant
01-19-12, 12:18

Had dinner with some of them last night. No tigers or fights with Tyson (though he was at my hotel). :eek:

C4

markm
01-19-12, 12:25
I should have gone... met with Grant.... then roofied him.. stole his PO book, and place an order for 1000 Olympic Arms carbines under his name!!! :D

chadbag
01-19-12, 13:28
I got in to Vegas last night and am headed off shortly to the show.

If anyone wants to go to Todai Japanese (sushi) buffet tomorrow (Fri) night, let me know by PM or email at sales at guns dot com. It's my birthday and if I can bring enough paying customers along I get in free :)

It is an OK place. My wife, who is from Japan, likes to go there when we are in Las Vegas. It is not the equal of a high end sushi place but the $34 price (Fri-Sun price), all you can eat buffet, is not a high end price either, and it is most definitely passable. Sushi, and various japanese and chinese and other asian style entrees.

thopkins22
01-19-12, 18:29
It's my birthday and if I can bring enough paying customers along I get in free :)

I'm not in Las Vegas, but happy birthday!

jwfuhrman
01-20-12, 02:35
I some how ended up sick as hell. My sinuses are going crazy, I can barely swallow my throat is so swollen.

Tomorrow is gonna suck, don't leave till Saturday morning....

Iraqgunz
01-20-12, 07:19
I am still here until Saturday mid day so if anyone wants to TRY (due to all the shenanigans) to meet up, send me a PM or email that goes to my superduper smarty phone.

markm
01-20-12, 08:01
I am still here until Saturday mid day so if anyone wants to TRY (due to all the shenanigans) to meet up, send me a PM or email that goes to my superduper smarty phone.

You stayed there through Saturday to avoid having to wake up early and shoot! :mad:

Nathan_Bell
01-20-12, 08:33
No shit.

SEMA, World of Concrete, and AAPEX are all conventions that have significant business taking place on the floor. That was one of the reasons the shows were created.
A lot of purchasing agents know what they need, and they use the trade shows to work it. They can walk down the aisle and have face to face haggling sessions with all of their majors in two-three days.
As to the face to face issue I bolded, go be a sales rep or a purchasing agent for a while and get back to me on how well that all electronic B2B thing is doing.

chadbag
01-20-12, 10:10
I some how ended up sick as hell. My sinuses are going crazy, I can barely swallow my throat is so swollen.

Tomorrow is gonna suck, don't leave till Saturday morning....

Las Vegas is dry. If you are not used to it it can really cause you some problems as you stat to adjust. (Utah is dry, but Las Vegas is drier and even I get chapped lips and stuff when I come down here). You guys who come from more humid areas must be dying.

When in your hotel room, try turning the shower on hot and let it run a while (not in the morning when the whole hotel is showering :p) and get the room a little more moist. Or at least do it in the bathroom and go sit in there a while...

It should get you a small amount of relief.

And don't stay up all night drinking and whoring and gambling ;) so your body doesn't get all worn out from lack of sleep.

Titleist
01-20-12, 10:45
Just got back, I'd take torrential rain from Portland over Las Vegas and feeling gross all the time.

jwfuhrman
01-20-12, 13:36
Las Vegas is dry. If you are not used to it it can really cause you some problems as you stat to adjust. (Utah is dry, but Las Vegas is drier and even I get chapped lips and stuff when I come down here). You guys who come from more humid areas must be dying.

When in your hotel room, try turning the shower on hot and let it run a while (not in the morning when the whole hotel is showering :p) and get the room a little more moist. Or at least do it in the bathroom and go sit in there a while...

It should get you a small amount of relief.

And don't stay up all night drinking and whoring and gambling ;) so your body doesn't get all worn out from lack of sleep.

Yea I stood in the shower for prolly 30min today, felt a little better. But yea this dry ass weather sucks, big time.

And yea the whole out all night drinking doesnt help. The club in front of the Imperial Palace was $10 open bar on Wednesday night after 9.... I drank $50 worth of Vodka/7up in about 30min....