PDA

View Full Version : Sure Fire G2?

jackinfl
11-12-07, 13:15
I see the G2 series are very popular for mounting on the AR. Does the G@ have a CLick style tailcap or is it momentary pressure activated? Is the click tailcap available.

Is the G2L (LED) a better choice?

I have a Gand R WG6D with shock bezel and pressure pad tail cap, now how much different would the G2 be?

Thanks
Jack

markm
11-12-07, 13:20
Standard G2 has the momentary. But you can Dial the tailcap for constant on if needed. I use the Nitrolon as one of my lights on my carbean.

Not sure if the clickers are available for it.

rob_s
11-12-07, 13:42
I like it with the shock-isolated and the clickable tailcap. You can buy package deals from G&R here (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=G2-P).

sonrider657
11-12-07, 20:00
For $36, the Surefire G2 has to be the best value on the market. Now that the G2L is out, many dealers are marking the standard G2 down well below MSRP.

TOrrock
11-12-07, 20:05
I'd rather have the incandescent vs. the LED. Yes, the LED has more life, but when it gets foggy or there's a lot of fine particulates (gunsmoke) out there, they can't penetrate it like the old school incandescent will.

Harv
11-12-07, 20:27
Rob S

I like it with the shock-isolated and the clickable tailcap. You can buy package deals from G&R here.

I have been running this set up for over 3 years now.... it has been on a gun with over 12K thru it and still on the original bulb..... a most excellent choice for a quality Weaponlight .... I will continue to us it... I may get a Cree drop in to play with it and see if I like it....

toddackerman
11-12-07, 23:39
I did some homework today, as I was interested in going to the LED for Lamp, and Battery life.

My conclusion...

Sticking with the incandescent because of lumens. Period. The LED is less than 1/2 of the incandescent in Lumens. I already went from a 9V to a 6V for weight purposes. That's all the lumen power I want to sacrifice.

You can see all the specs. on www.surefire.com

Plus...the LED conversion is very expensive!

NCPatrolAR
11-13-07, 06:34
I did some homework today, as I was interested in going to the LED for Lamp, and Battery life.

My conclusion...

Sticking with the incandescent because of lumens. Period. The LED is less than 1/2 of the incandescent in Lumens. I already went from a 9V to a 6V for weight purposes. That's all the lumen power I want to sacrifice.

You can see all the specs. on www.surefire.com

Plus...the LED conversion is very expensive!

Uh, if you look at the stats on the G2L, you'll see it is pushing 80 lumens. That is 15-20 more than you get out of a stock incan. G2. I was using a G2L at this weekend's lowlight course with LAV and the G2L was brighter than all my other 6volt handheld lights.

Evan_O
11-14-07, 03:29
I know for a fact that the X300 cuts through smoke and fog better than a G2 or 6P. I think this new generation of led is a huge improvement over the older models. I would not hesitate to use the new led models for a weapon light...

KevinB
11-18-07, 16:58
In my experience the push button is better than click on in this role -- and second having used a G2 on my carbine in Iraq over the last year - I dont think the shock bezel is needed a 5.56mm gun.

John_Wayne777
11-19-07, 07:53
In my experience the push button is better than click on in this role -- and second having used a G2 on my carbine in Iraq over the last year - I dont think the shock bezel is needed a 5.56mm gun.

Lots of guys are running the exact same setup on their carbines without a SI bezel and are similarly satisfied.

Vickers' carbine used a standard G2 in a basic mount on his carbine. His seemed to work pretty good to me....

John_Wayne777
11-19-07, 07:56

Are you sure you are looking at the right thing? Everything I've seen says the newer generation of Cree based LED lights put out more lumens than the incandescent ones.

For those looking for an economically priced LED conversion for their G2/6P/etc. lights that you already have, check these out:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1447

I've been using them in my G2Z and 6Z combat lights without issue for several months now. They use Cree LEDs and are significantly brighter with a tighter hotspot.

They survived the low light course just fine.

C4IGrant
11-19-07, 12:48
For long guns (less they are a dedicated CQB AR), I do not like LED's. The SF G2 is a fantastic little light, but I like to make two upgrades to it. I would put a Z32 Shock isolated bezel on it and upgrade the bulb to the Lumens Factory HO-6.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SF%20Z32%20shock%20isolated%20bezel.jpg

KintlaLake
11-19-07, 13:49
I would put a Z32 Shock isolated bezel on it and upgrade the bulb to the Lumens Factory HO-6.

Grant, is SureFire still making the Z32 bezel? I didn't see it when I surfed into the SureFire website the other day to check which models it fits.

Also (slightly off-topic), is the Lumens Factory HO-E2A the proper fit for the SureFire E2D?

C4IGrant
11-19-07, 14:19
Grant, is SureFire still making the Z32 bezel? I didn't see it when I surfed into the SureFire website the other day to check which models it fits.

Also (slightly off-topic), is the Lumens Factory HO-E2A the proper fit for the SureFire E2D?

Yes, they still make them. They are on back order though. Most of the really cool parts that SF makes are NOT listed on their website.

The HO-E2A will fit the E2D (is what I run).

C4

Jerm
12-05-07, 15:20
ive been considering the G3....

any thoughts on how it stacks up with the G2?

still need to upgrade anything(bezel etc)?

....going on my LMT btw.

C4IGrant
12-05-07, 15:25

....going on my LMT btw.

Same as a G2, just more power. A shock isolated bezel is never a bad idea.

C4

Jerm
12-05-07, 15:28
good deal.

so the same mounts and such(as G2) would work as well?

C4IGrant
12-05-07, 15:32
good deal.

so the same mounts and such(as G2) would work as well?

Yes.

C4

rhino
12-05-07, 15:38
Does anyone make a pocket clip of some kind that will fit a G2?

I've been carrying a Pelican PM6 3320 in my pocket (a G2 is on my belt), but the clip holds it with the push button down inside of my pocket. Sometimes when I sit or kneel, it turns the light "on." It happened in church on Sunday, and in addition to the burning sensation and embarrassment, it wastes batteries.

A pocket clip that would carry a G2 bezel-downward would be great!

rhino
12-05-07, 16:12
For those looking for an economically priced LED conversion for their G2/6P/etc. lights that you already have, check these out:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1447

I just looked at the reviews there ... it's unclear to me if these reflector/LED modules just "drop in" with a G2 or not? Do you have to modify them to get them to work, or is it just a matter of removing what you have and just putting the new reflector/LED in its place?

C4IGrant
12-05-07, 16:14
Does anyone make a pocket clip of some kind that will fit a G2?

I've been carrying a Pelican PM6 3320 in my pocket (a G2 is on my belt), but the clip holds it with the push button down inside of my pocket. Sometimes when I sit or kneel, it turns the light "on." It happened in church on Sunday, and in addition to the burning sensation and embarrassment, it wastes batteries.

A pocket clip that would carry a G2 bezel-downward would be great!

Nothin that I am aware of.

C4

toddackerman
12-05-07, 17:55

....going on my LMT btw.

Please understand that I subscribe to "Murphy's Law". That being said...

The G3 is a "good" light IMHO. I have several G2's. None of them are on a weapon. The G3 is a little brighter with a longer run time because it is a 3 cell versus a 2 cell light. Period. It is still not what I would consider to be in the "Weapons Mounted Light" category.

The suggestion of the Z32 Shock Isolated bezel for "insurance", is just as applicable to the G3 as it is to the G2.

Because of the advancements in LED technology, you may want to consider the G2L which is a little brighter than the G2, has much longer run times, and the LED is much less susceptible to shock than an incandescent bulb...and it will probably outlive you as far as longevity. Just my $.02 worth.

Jerm
12-05-07, 22:36
appreciate the input.

ive been looking at a few LED's as well.

toddackerman
12-06-07, 09:28
Rob S

I have been running this set up for over 3 years now.... it has been on a gun with over 12K thru it and still on the original bulb..... a most excellent choice for a quality Weaponlight .... I will continue to us it... I may get a Cree drop in to play with it and see if I like it....

Harv,

FWIW...

Mixed inputs on the Cree drop in QC. I'd wait for the SF P6L (Led version that fits the G2 etc.) to come out.

C4IGrant
12-06-07, 09:46
Harv,

FWIW...

Mixed inputs on the Cree drop in QC. I'd wait for the SF P6L (Led version that fits the G2 etc.) to come out.

The SF P60L's are shipping this week. :D

C4

Snake
12-06-07, 09:57
when's the P91L coming out?:D

Cyrus

Robb Jensen
12-06-07, 10:00
when's the P91L coming out?:D

Cyrus

I've installed a P60L (from a G2L) in a G3 and it works fine. No brighter, but I'm sure the battery life is longer than in the G2L.

Jaeger
12-17-07, 23:35
Why would a shock isolated bezel be necessary on a G2L? I didn't think that the led diodes are sensitive to shock.

Has anyone tried one of the Tacstar tape switch endcaps on a G2? I intend to mount a G2L on my N4 and would prefer a tape switch but I'm pretty leary of the Tacstar.

ST911
12-18-07, 10:59
I've installed a P60L (from a G2L) in a G3 and it works fine. No brighter, but I'm sure the battery life is longer than in the G2L.

I contemplated the same... Is it going to produce more run time, or just put more voltage to the lamp and potentially reduce lifespan? I would imagine there's a resisting-widget in there somewhere getting stressed?

Engi-nerd in the house? ;)

C4IGrant
12-18-07, 14:39
Why would a shock isolated bezel be necessary on a G2L? I didn't think that the led diodes are sensitive to shock.

Has anyone tried one of the Tacstar tape switch endcaps on a G2? I intend to mount a G2L on my N4 and would prefer a tape switch but I'm pretty leary of the Tacstar.

No need to shock isolate.

All tacstar products are junk.

C4

BushmasterFanBoy
12-18-07, 17:52
I'm looking to mount a light on my 13.2" railed carbine, and need something with a tape switch (I keep my VFG pretty far back, using a pad on the light isn't an option with this gun). Since everyone seems to like the G2/G3 lights (and I need something affordable and light on weight-- my gun is off balance enough as it is) I'm thinking about using one of those. Problem is, who makes a good pressure switch for it? I've looked around and all Google turns up is airsoft junk.

ETA: I have just found a Commando Arms Accesories switch, it's more expensive than the TacStar/Airsoft switches ($36), it should work with the G3, and P9 model lights as well, correct? Also, being CAA, is this even up to spec, or am I SOL for using a tape switch with any of Surefire's handheld lights?

I'm thinking about buying a G3 (possibly a 9P) plus a mount for my 13.2" inch railed carbine, running it as far out as it takes for the front of the light to clear the rail, and maybe running a G2 for use with my non-light-railed handguns. Any advice?

Jaeger
12-18-07, 19:31
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level3c.tam?xax=728&nextrow=101&maxhits=10&qrymark1%2Enew=1982&qrymark2%2Enew=0&priorcase=main

I just stumbled across these tailcap/tape switch combos on the BQ website.

One offers strobing and the other offers varialbe levels of light output.

The copy says they are made in South Africa fwiw.

Jaeger
12-18-07, 19:35
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level3c.tam?xax=12813&nextrow=91&maxhits=10&qrymark1%2Enew=1970&qrymark2%2Enew=0&priorcase=main

This page has the led light from the same company and standard tailcaps with the strobing or variable output abilities that will fit on the 6P.

toddackerman
12-18-07, 20:32
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level3c.tam?xax=12813&nextrow=91&maxhits=10&qrymark1%2Enew=1970&qrymark2%2Enew=0&priorcase=main

This page has the led light from the same company and standard tailcaps with the strobing or variable output abilities that will fit on the 6P.

I think "strobing" is highly over rated. If anyone thinks they are going to dis-orientate an attacker who has initiated the attack with a "strobe", they should re-think their position.

I wonder if the variable output abilities will add complexity to the system, and the operators "Check List". For an indoor situation, I think that a 6V incandescent is a simple and proven option. For outdoors, I would go with a 9V like the SF M96XXX family. I have used both.

toddackerman
12-18-07, 20:37
I'm looking to mount a light on my 13.2" railed carbine, and need something with a tape switch (I keep my VFG pretty far back, using a pad on the light isn't an option with this gun). Since everyone seems to like the G2/G3 lights (and I need something affordable and light on weight-- my gun is off balance enough as it is) I'm thinking about using one of those. Problem is, who makes a good pressure switch for it? I've looked around and all Google turns up is airsoft junk.

ETA: I have just found a Commando Arms Accesories switch, it's more expensive than the TacStar/Airsoft switches ($36), it should work with the G3, and P9 model lights as well, correct? Also, being CAA, is this even up to spec, or am I SOL for using a tape switch with any of Surefire's handheld lights?

I'm thinking about buying a G3 (possibly a 9P) plus a mount for my 13.2" inch railed carbine, running it as far out as it takes for the front of the light to clear the rail, and maybe running a G2 for use with my non-light-railed handguns. Any advice?

If you want a "Hand Held" light that you convert to a "Weapon Light" then you can certainly go to the G2/ G3. If you want a "Real" 6V Weapon light talk to Grant about his Scout Light package. If you rally believe you need a 9V system, consider the M96X family from SF. As far as switches go....stay with the ones that the manufacturer of the light sells. They know their lights better than anyone. There is a LOT of crap out there!

I am assuming that these are for "Real World" situations, so price shouldn't be a factor IMO, just like quality ammo and Mags.

Jaeger
12-18-07, 22:21
I can't imagine putting one of those variable output lights on a weapon. I think it would very impractical. I'm not so sure about the strobing. I was the recipient of some strobe lights when training in Surefire's Lowlight Instructor school. It's pretty damn disorienting.

I'll have a G2L coming after Christmas and I'll probably take my old 6P and upgrade it with a Cree lamp and a Surefire clikie tailcap and call it good. I've used Surefire for years (my 6P is going on 14 years old!) and trust them implicitly.