PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good first class

ILRedneck
09-19-11, 18:03
Looking for advice on which instructor to train with. I want to get to my first ever class next year, and I'm wanting it to be a handgun class. Since this is my first class, I dont have any diplomas and the like that some instructors require. I want it handgun instead of carbine because the pistol is the harder weapon to shoot well for me. I'm located about an hour north of Kentucky in Illinois, if that helps any responders. What I don't want is a class designed around "I've never even held a gun before" but more toward mastering the fundamentals and correcting the errors that occur without proper instruction. Also, since the good old land of Lincoln has no CCW, if the instructor requires a carry permit, I'm out of luck unless they'll accept a copy of my FOID card. Thanks in advance for any help.

Irish
09-19-11, 18:10
I would suggest taking a look at http://www.superiorfirearmsllc.com/. Joe Barnsfather is a Larry Vickers endorsed instructor and I think it would be a really good place for you to start and not too far from home.

rickp
09-19-11, 20:20
I would recommend Randy Cain Handgun 101. He's the best instructor I've ever had in terms of teaching the very basics and fundamentals of shooting. I guarantee you will not regret the class and leave with a solid foundation for shooting

09-20-11, 11:44
There are options for you, you just need to hit the websites and see when and where the classes are held. Are you willing to travel?

EAG Tactical, Randy Cain, Kyle Lamb(Viking Tactics), Kyle DeFoor, Larry Vickers, Trident Concepts, Dave Harrington, and the big dogs(to me), TigerSwan. Any one of these usually offers the level of training you are seeking. Hit the web sites and check out class schedules. It may be you have to travel, so don't forget about saving for room and board. Any training class I've ever been in has students that have traveled to be there. Well worth the total cost. You'll leave a better and more confident shooter.

When it comes to training, it is one of those purchases where you usually get what you pay for. It is also a purchase where buying the best is truly much, much better than the lesser "brands."

Submariner
09-20-11, 16:52
My youngest son and I just completed Introduction to Defensive Pistol with Sheriff Ken Campbell of the Boone County (IN) Sheriff's Office. He focuses on Marksmanship, Manipulation and Mindset. Everyone in my family, wife included, have trained with him. He offers a two-day class which combines classroom and range, shooting as many as 400 rounds, each with a teaching point. Ken is an Adjunct Instructor and Rangemaster with Gunsite. He brings in Pat Rogers and Louis Awerbuck (Randy Cain's mentor,) among others, each year so regular folks have access to quality training. Oh, the class is a bargain $175.00. Local motels give a Sheriff's department discount for students.

Click here (http://www.boonecountyindianasheriff.com/c/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=42&Itemid=85) for more info.

Ken is Illinois-friendly.

Requirements include either a valid Indiana Firearms Permit or Criminal History Report verifying the student as a "Proper Person," eye and hearing protection, a suitable pistol, approximately 400 rounds of ammunition, and tuition of $175.

Added: You might be surprised what a "I've never even held a gun before" kind of class can do for you. ;) Sometimes you don't know what you don't know (or have forgotten.) Good initial training (you get a certificate which worked to qualify my crew for Pat Rogers Pistol 2 Class.) Good sustainment training.

ILRedneck
09-20-11, 17:34
I will look at the websites mentioned, although the initial reply about superior firearms looks really good, it's affordable, and reasonably close. I was under the impression that instructors like Kyle Lamb wanted you to have a certificate that showed you had had some training before they would let you in, if I'm mistaken, please correct me. Also, travel is not a problem, I'm gonna take a couple weeks off work around class time, make the trip with my wife, and take her to a destination from there, sort of a trip for us both. Thanks again

Gutshot John
09-20-11, 19:20
Pat Rogers is the one I would really consider first. He will work to make you acquire the fundamentals...you will leave that class exhausted but you will have a very strong foundation.

Moreover his class counts as the pre-req for Kyle Lamb and others.

superr.stu
09-20-11, 20:54
I'll second Joe Barnsfather down in Louiville. He is a very good instructor, and you'll leave learning more than you can remember. I head down a few times a year from Champaign for his classes.