PDA

View Full Version : My duty rifle and an NSXhelp please

User Name
11-12-07, 15:30
My department let's us carry our own AR's. I currently have a Colt 6920 and Noveske N4 w/ an EO Tech 553. I work pretty open country and was looking to put a Nightforce NSX 1-4x24 on my 6920 as I would like to have the 4x option for greater target discrimination and for the occassional coydog at 300m +. Then I got to thinking (bad habit) and thought maybe the NSX was possibly overkill on the 6920. So I should get a new upper like a Noveske 14.5 Afgan or 16.1" Recon and drop in a Geissele trigger. Which would give me in theory a more accurate platform for the NSX? I am about to blow alot of my salary (not so bad cause its on an AR) but I thought I'd get some input. Oh I use Federal T.A.P. 75gr BTHP in both guns. Thanks guys.:)

Hootiewho
11-12-07, 15:58
If you have the money to get a nightforce and a Noveske upper; keep the 6920 stock and buy a Short dot. The rifle you have is plenty accurate enough for your needs, and I would only consider changing the barrel if you are going with a can and want a little bit heavier barrel to cut down on POI shift.

My 0.02 worth

I should add that I had a 1-4x Nightforce scope and wasn't really pleased with it. I personally think that the 2.5-10x is a lot better scope for a RECCE type rifle. It may have just been me but the 1-4x had some weird optical distortion in it on 1-2x. It was almost like looking through two different lenses with different magnification. It is hard to explain, but it just didn't suit me. The FC-2 reticle was good/bad. I felt too big to make a precise shot between 100-200 yards. After that you could use the lower vertical line for drop compensation and it was alright, but 100-200 was iffy. Bright light washed out the illumination, which is a known fact. It was built well, I just feel the Short Dot would be a better option.

III
11-12-07, 16:56
I agree the nightforce 2.5x10 is my favorite all around AR scope right now. A trigger upgrade will do more for accuracy than any other modification you can do. I can't see changing a bbl untill you have gotten some use out of it . You might be surprised with the accuracy of a stock bbl.

User Name
11-12-07, 19:01
Thanks guys. I really can't afford any of it. Though I appreciate good glass. I might part with my 6920 and buy another Noveske. I really like John and his guns. Mr. Knight it's an honor to have you reaspond to my post!

User Name
11-12-07, 19:47
So a Nightforce 2.5 x 10 is not over kill for a 6920? Also it's agreed between the two of you thats its a better optic as far as the Nightforce line up is concerned. Does the difference between 1x and the 2.5x have any negatives at CQB ranges? IE is the 2.5x potentially "slower". Sorry for questions as far as AR's go I am a neopyhte sp?

ST911
11-12-07, 21:24
Why not run one setup? 6920 (or N4), Shortdot, LT mount.

Nice setup for patrol, coyotes, and rec.

Hootiewho
11-13-07, 15:29
So a Nightforce 2.5 x 10 is not over kill for a 6920? Also it's agreed between the two of you thats its a better optic as far as the Nightforce line up is concerned. Does the difference between 1x and the 2.5x have any negatives at CQB ranges? IE is the 2.5x potentially "slower". Sorry for questions as far as AR's go I am a neopyhte sp?

I could not tell a big enough difference between the two as far as speed goes to really make a difference. I liked the 2.5-10 better, but would seriously consider a Short dot if you are LE and this will be a work gun, as the Aimpoint like dot will be a big plus for you, especially if you ever have to use it at work. Odds are, if it ever gets used, it will be up close.

rob_s
11-13-07, 15:36
For patrol (assuming that LEO duty "patrol" is what's meant) use I've always thought that an Aimpoint plus magnifier would be a good way to go. Either use the stock Aimpoint QD magnifier or the Larue pivot mount and have a similar option. I keep meaning to see how the Aimpoint plus magnifier compares in weight to a 1-4x in a mount but keep forgetting.

I'm a huge fan of the Compact ACOGs but have been considering going this route myself. Aimpoint ML3 2 MOA with magnifier on the 16", Aimpoint C3 4 MOA on the suppressed SBR, Aimpoint Micro on the unsuppressed SBR.

User Name
11-13-07, 20:53
Looks like the S&B is the way to go. Just need to find a dealer that has financing.:)

USMC03
11-13-07, 21:08
For duty use, I would not recommend a 2.5-10x optic on a Patrol Rifle, unless you work in a rural county with a lot of wide open spaces and not much in the way of vegitation.

I don't care for the 1-4x NF because the reticle can not be seen under all conditions.

My suggestions would be either the Short Dot or an Aimpoint / EO Tech with a magnifier in a LaRue flip mount.

My thoughts on several optics for police work can be seen here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4209

BTW, Schmidt and Bender and an awesome LEO/Mil pricing program.

Semper Fi,
Jeff

User Name
11-13-07, 22:43
Forgot about LEO pricing good point Jeff.

davemcdonald
11-14-07, 00:50
Contact Mark Cromwell at Schmidt & Bender USA. I'm sure he will take care of you.

Dave

Erick Gelhaus
11-14-07, 07:18
I can't comment on the NF reticle - haven't seen it.

Like USMC03, for LE patrol work, I'd recommend 1x at the low end of the magnification range. Nothing above that.