PDA

View Full Version : A 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD for one new to precision.

camus
09-19-11, 23:08
Hello gents,

Currently looking for some insight on how to set up a Remington 700 for punching paper / steel at around 800 yards. Only bolt guns I have experience with are the Springfield 03 and Enfield MkIII, and this was shooting at coffee cans at 100 yards or so in my youth. Other than that, rifle experience revolves around the A2. No issues putting 10 on a "E" target at 500m and typically the spotting discs (6"?) overlapped, although this was quite a few years ago. On going to a bolt gun, initially I was looking at going the SA route for a nice long range weapon but the cost/reward just didn't seem to pan out. Anyway, enough background.

What I am looking at:

700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD - The 700 is must for me, particular model for the following criteria. It is a .308, I can get decent ammunition. Threaded, I can suppress it if I choose to.

Optics - I think I got a decent handle on this. Initially I was thinking a Schmidt & Bender 3-12 x 50 PMII LP until I realized the dent in the bank. Then looked at a few fixed 10x's and am currently looking at variables up to around 20x. I got a bit more evaluation to do on this part.

Anyway, the purpose of this rifle will be to get a decent group at 600, this is the limit of the local range. Get some nice hits on a "E" target at 800 and see what I can do 1000, anything beyond the 600 is the occasional Sunday afternoon at the farm, let us call it rifle therapy.

Big holes for me are mounts / rings. I don't even know what I should be looking at. Other than that I turn to the collective wisdom of this board for any other things I should look at or consider. All insights are welcome.

Cheers.

jdodd
09-20-11, 06:54
I just went through something similar with building my rifle. Here is what I came up with:

Model 700 AAC-SD (RSR Exclusive Model with black stock and AAC 51T Black Out)
-Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 EMDR
-Seekins Rings and Base
-Harris SLM

Later this year I will be putting on a B&C Light Tactical Stock and Timney 510. Christmas may come early this year. haha :dance3:

Jliddle
09-20-11, 07:33
I too am a AAC SD owner. With the goals you've stated I would recommend a 4-16 Vortex PST. They sell for around 850, have excellent customer service and real good reviews on Snipers Hide. As far as a base/rings go.... I would recommend any one piece picatinny style base. EGW, Nightforce, Badger Ordinance, Larue all make quality bases. Preferably with 20moa built in. There are ALOT of choices with rings. I use Burris XTR without a single problem.

That should get you started and have a little wiggle room incase you want to go over 1k yards. I'll eventually replace the stock on mine as many aac owners do

markm
09-20-11, 08:16
700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD

Aren't the SPS and the AAC-SD two different models?

In either case, add a Timmney trigger to your shopping list. The current trigger on the 700s (xmark pro) is crappy.

Orkan sold us on the Timmney and I'm glad he did. A good use of $120.

Pappabear
09-20-11, 09:01
I confirm whats already said, yes to Rem 700. The AAC seems like a good option. I went with a 20 inch 5R that came threaded and HS Precision stock. Added the Timney and my only .02 cents to add is:
Get a shooters pack for the butt stock to lift your head just a little and get perfect cheek weld.

AZ-Renegade
09-20-11, 09:43
I took my AAC-SD 308 out to the range yesterday and even with the crappy stock, trigger [and shooter] I was getting 1.5-1.75" groups at 200 yards and hitting a 10x12 inch steel plate at 800 yards consistently. Scope was 10x and ammo was American Eagle 150 Grain Boat Tail

I'm pretty sure with a better stock, trigger and practice I will get those groups down to an inch or less.

markm
09-20-11, 09:46
Scope was 10x and ammo was American Eagle 150 Grain Boat Tail

You'll have to try some of our 175 SMKs. Getting sub MOA out of AE ammo is pretty impressive.

Aaron_B
09-20-11, 13:06
I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP, except I already have the rilfe(Remington AAC). I bought it a week before I deployed, so needless to say I haven't settled on any optics or anything at all for it really. Guess I'll see what happens as I get closer to getting home. Maybe this thread will lead the way for my choices.

AZ-Renegade
09-20-11, 14:03
OP,

I went with EGW base and rings. They are good quality, U.S. made, and they stock them both on SKDtac.com. So far I have been very pleased with them.

I bought the 20 MOA HD base and the low rings which make for a nice, low mount for my Leupold 3.5-10 with enough clearance for the bolt handle. Depending on your scope, you may need higher rings.

QuietShootr
09-20-11, 14:10
I took my AAC-SD 308 out to the range yesterday and even with the crappy stock, trigger [and shooter] I was getting 1.5-1.75" groups at 200 yards and hitting a 10x12 inch steel plate at 800 yards consistently. Scope was 10x and ammo was American Eagle 150 Grain Boat Tail

I'm pretty sure with a better stock, trigger and practice I will get those groups down to an inch or less.

I would like to see that.

AZ-Renegade
09-20-11, 15:00
I would like to see that.

I should have mentioned those were only three shot groups and I only started seeing that grouping towards the end of my sight in. I suppose claiming that kind of accuracy with only three shot groups is a bit misleading.

Belmont31R
09-20-11, 15:27
You'll have to try some of our 175 SMKs. Getting sub MOA out of AE ammo is pretty impressive.

You need to try the AE M1A 168 OTM. They sell for about $15 box and are the most accurate ammo I have shot out of my EMC.

I have a target with two 10 shot groups shot back to back with no cool down & less than MOA average combined.

markm
09-20-11, 15:29
Never heard of that load. :confused:

AZ-Renegade
09-20-11, 15:34
You need to try the AE M1A 168 OTM. They sell for about $15 box and are the most accurate ammo I have shot out of my EMC.

I have a target with two 10 shot groups shot back to back with no cool down & less than MOA average combined.

My buddy had some of that for his RRA 308 yesterday. I plan on trying out a few boxes since my turrets are calibrated for 168.

Belmont31R
09-20-11, 15:35
Never heard of that load. :confused:

Yes its a little secret...;)

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-308-win-762x51-federal-168gr-otm-ammo/cName/308-762-nato-match-grade

They sell it 50 cents cheaper per box if you buy 200...

Palmetto SA usually sells it too but is out of stock. Earlier this year they had a sale on it and it was near 14/box.

markm
09-20-11, 15:58
Yeah... we've got 900 168 SMKs not even loaded yet... and a few hundo loaded and not fired. I can't buy any more ammo right now. :p

camus
09-20-11, 18:37
@markm

I don't know if it is a newer model or not but it does contain the alphabet soup of acronyms including SPS.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

@Jliddle

The 4-16 Vortex PST is currently topping my list.

I have been looking at bases and rings, thanks to all for the suggestions. 20 MOA, check.

On the trigger, thanks for the suggestions on the Timmney, I have been looking at this, I will try out the stock before changing anything out mostly for comparison reasons.

For those of you that have these, are you running cans, any kind of brake/flash hider, or just the thread protector?

Jliddle
09-20-11, 19:00
For those of you that have these, are you running cans, any kind of brake/flash hider, or just the thread protector?

I plan on running a can on mine when I can fit it in the budget. IMO theres no use in a brake, .308 doesnt recoil that bad. Been running the stock thread protector on mine.

camus
09-20-11, 19:11
I plan on running a can on mine when I can fit it in the budget. IMO theres no use in a brake, .308 doesnt recoil that bad. Been running the stock thread protector on mine.

Mainly concerned about kicking up dust etc, concerned may be a bit harsh, mostly just a curiosity.

Pappabear
09-20-11, 19:37
I have an AAC BRAKEOUT on mine which I like. It does reduce recoil. I have a AAC 7.62sdn which I'm waiting stampage.

ATF seems to not be in a hurry. 5 months wait I'm told these days.
I'm into it 3 months.

markm
09-20-11, 21:05
@markm

I don't know if it is a newer model or not but it does contain the alphabet soup of acronyms including SPS.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

You're right. It's the Hogue stock? I ended up replacing mine with an HS Precision from Brownells.

camus
09-20-11, 21:19
I have an AAC BRAKEOUT on mine which I like. It does reduce recoil. I have a AAC 7.62sdn which I'm waiting stampage.

ATF seems to not be in a hurry. 5 months wait I'm told these days.
I'm into it 3 months.

Do you have experience with the SDN-6? I was thinking I would run one of these on my 5.56 as well. I am will be visiting the "local" can guy next week, he deals mostly Gemtech and YHM, but will pull anything I want. I want to get the paperwork started this fall with hopes of having something by next spring. :o

markm
09-21-11, 08:22
the "local" can guy next week, he deals mostly Gemtech and YHM, but will pull anything I want.

Be carefull about a dealer "ordering" a can for you from AAC. There are a lot of ass ache pitfalls in that situation...

For whatever reason, NFA dealers are usually one of two things... slimey or retarded. Slimey ones will sit on your money hoping to get several cans on a single order to try to get a better price. Retards will just screw it up.

AAC can be good for delays as well. If their Dodgeball ****ing game conflicts with getting your can out... guess what? You're screwed.

Then the ATF... They're an incompetent govt agency that can **** anything up on the transfer process.

Pappabear's in one of those pitfalls right now, but he has other cans, so no biggie.

Buy a can you can that is IN STOCK. (YHM and Gemtech are not legitimate options)

Good luck.

infidelprodigy
09-21-11, 10:55
No joke about the ATF. My 762SD was APPROVED on Aug. 11 but the Form 4 did not show up at my dealer until Sept. 15. I guess they started up the Pony Express again......:suicide2:

camus
09-21-11, 19:49
Yeah, we will see how the suppressor goes, we have dealt with this gentlemen before on other NFA items without issue. Anyway, I am in no rush on it, I got other hurdles on deciding on a optic and you know, actually purchasing the rifle.