PDA

View Full Version : AR 20 rds mags

TacDoc
11-12-07, 18:30
I want a few GOOD quality straight body 20 rounders for this rifle. Anti-tilt followers prefered. What are my options?

http://i16.tinypic.com/7xxqeyd.jpg

The mag in the pic is a Colt with anti-tilt metal follower. I have also a few C-Prods curved 20 rounders.

Bigun
11-12-07, 18:50
The Equipment exchange on AR15.com or good sized local gun shows are about the only places I have seen the straight bodied ones in any quantity. I have had great luck with the CProducts 20 rounders though. Verry nice rifle by the way.

cqbdriver
11-12-07, 19:28
Brownells makes straight body 20rd. I got a couple & have been pleased with them so far.
http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/078000107.jpg

markm
11-12-07, 19:51
You can get NHMTGs.

I won't run anything from Cprod. Too hit and miss. I'd only buy them if there were no other option.

The metal follower on the original USGI is not anti tilt. And contrary to popular internut belief, there's nothing magical about the aluminum follower. The 20 round USGI is just a really good mag.

jmart
11-12-07, 19:57
Aren't anti-tilt followers used in only curved body mags? I'm not aware of anyone that makes for use in straight-bodied mags. Is there such an animal?

TOrrock
11-12-07, 20:07
Aren't anti-tilt followers used in only curved body mags? I'm not aware of anyone that makes for use in straight-bodied mags. Is there such an animal?

No, you're correct. Only in the 30's. They're not needed in the 20's.

The Brownells' 20's are really nice.

40-45
11-12-07, 20:28
Brownells makes straight body 20rd. I got a couple & have been pleased with them so far.
http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/078000107.jpg

these ae my choice

FR0GMAN
11-13-07, 03:08
I have the C Products 20rnd Straight Body Mags and they work flawlessly.

They have anti-tilt followers as well.

ETA:

Here is a pic of the follower...
C Products on the left, NHMTG 20 on the right.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/FR0GMAN/cp210.jpg

rob_s
11-13-07, 05:20
I have a whole ton of Colt 20 round mags from the ban when I would take what I could get. Maybe I should start offloading them for 30s....

markm
11-13-07, 07:06
I have a whole ton of Colt 20 round mags from the ban when I would take what I could get. Maybe I should start offloading them for 30s....

I sold off a bunch of mine when the 20 round craze was really bad.

TacDoc
11-13-07, 07:46

Really I dont know, but the one and only Colt 20 rounder that I have has an aluminum follower that resist front (bullet) tilt when I apply finger pressure. Just as the Magpul followers. I ordered a few 20 rouders from Centerfire and they are CRAP! Just returned them the very same day I received 'em.

Does Brownells STRAIGHT body mags have this kind of followers?

As for CProds, I have 6 curved 20 rounders that I got about 2 years ago. They perform flawlesly and have Magpul followers. I cant say the same for their new 30 rounders. I have 10 2 years old 30 rounder that perform flawlesly, but ordered a few more a few months ago when they changed their bodies and followers(just before the Pmags hit the market) and had reliability issues. Returned 'em for exchange and the new ones excibit the same problem: follower gets stuck at the middle of the body.

markm
11-13-07, 07:55
Returned 'em for exchange and the new ones excibit the same problem: follower gets stuck at the middle of the body.

That's why Cprod is BANNED from my stash. They had some other QC issue before that too. For a buck or two more, NHMTG 20s and 30s are they way to go.

TacDoc
11-13-07, 08:09
That's why Cprod is BANNED from my stash. They had some other QC issue before that too. For a buck or two more, NHMTG 20s and 30s are they way to go.

What does NHMTG stands for? Got a link?

markm
11-13-07, 08:15
NHMTGs are Okay mags, same company that makes them for Colt and such.

They don't have a website for retail AFAIK. I buy them here.

http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/Magazines_C8.cfm?UserID=733242&jsessionid=8c3039106e27$22c$C4$

TacDoc
11-13-07, 08:18
Thanks demigod for the link, and gents, as always, thanks for pointing me in the RIGHT direction.

Thats why I like M4carbine.net so much!

scottryan
11-13-07, 08:37
Just don't get caught using curved 20 round magazines.

Safetyhit
11-13-07, 09:14
NHMTGs are Okay mags, same company that makes them for Colt and such.

They don't have a website for retail AFAIK. I buy them here.

http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/Magazines_C8.cfm?UserID=733242&jsessionid=8c3039106e27$22c$C4$

Nice website. Thanks for the link.

I stay away from C mags as well.

moonshot
11-14-07, 00:52
Just don't get caught using curved 20 round magazines.

Why???

moonshot

TacDoc
11-14-07, 07:20
Why???

moonshot

The general/purist conception obout curved 20 rounders is they are an ABOMINATION. Mine are 100% reliable though :rolleyes:

markm
11-14-07, 07:31
Yes. They are an abomination! :D

But on the upside, they're easy to spot as non USGI, and thus easy to avoid.

moonshot
11-14-07, 08:41
OK, I'm new to AR's, so I ask a lot of dumb questions, but what is the issue with curved 20 round mags being non-USGI?

I have six: 5 Bushmaster and one unknown. This last one has a really nice finish (unlike the BM's), says Military/LE only, and has a green follower (the BM's all have gray).

I also have 4 straight 20 round mags - 3 I think are USGI (the floor plate says NHMGT) and one with a Colt floor plate.

All have functioned fine so far.

Anyway, why the issue of them being non-USGI? Are they not as reliable, or is it that they are not OEM?

I admit the straight 20's look great in my rifle, and I can get lower if prone, but who cares what it looks like, as long as it works?

PS - I also recently bought 10 Pmags from G&R Tactical, with 5 more on order. Good company. Grant has been very helpful. To bad Magpul doesn't make a Pmag-20.

moonshot

markm
11-14-07, 09:30
The original USGI straight 20 round mag is about the most reliable rifle mag ever. It's reputation is outstanding.

The curved versions are aftermarket mags, and are subject to whatever QC the aftermarket maker feels adequate. They also, as far as I've seen, employ the feed lip design of the 30 round mag. The feed lip design of the 30 is functional, but in my opinion more prone to damage on the sharp rear corners (dents on these change the approach angle of the top round in the mag)... thus more prone to misfeeds from damage.

So. Why buy a 20 rounder in anything other than the optimal design?

ST911
11-14-07, 10:25
The 20s are size efficient and offer plenty of capacity for most applications. My gripe with them is that the vulnerability of their lips when dropped, due to the lack of support at the rear of them. Some of the "modernized/improved" 20s incorporate that support (ala the 30rd), but have other issues.

A straight-body 20rd Pmag would be welcome.

markm
11-14-07, 10:45
My gripe with them is that the vulnerability of their lips when dropped, due to the lack of support at the rear of them.

On the other hand, a dented convention 20 round feed lip is easy to fix.

A damaged rear corner on the 30 round style feed lip is nearly impossible to repair... at least I haven't figgered a way to do it. :confused:

moonshot
11-14-07, 11:17
Ok, I thought I understood. Now I'm confused (again).

Are you saying the curved 20's offer better protection to the feed lips if dropped, but if they do get dented, can't be fixed in the field, whereas the straight 20's are easier to fix if dented?

Or are you saying the straight 20 is simply more durable if dropped than the curved 20?

I looked at my 20 round mags and saw where the straight mags had an open space at the rear top, while the curved 20's had the feed lips extend all the way to the rear spine of the mag.

I have also been reading where non-tilt followers are all the rage. Of my straight 20's, 3 have NHMGT base (unknown manufacturer), gray color bodies and black followers which will tilt and get stuck if the front of the follower is pressed when the mag is empty. I've never tried it when full or partially full. My other straight 20 is almost silver in color (though not magnetic), has Colt base and a silver follower. This follower does not tilt.

My curved 20's are all Bushmaster (or at least the base plate is). Five have gray followers and will not tilt. One has green follower, LE/MIL/Export Only stamp on body and will tilt in the same way as the black straight 20's will.

Given this, which mag or group of mags is going to be more reliable under field use and more durable if abused?

Whichever ones get the seal of approval will go into my emergency stash, while the others will be used for training and practice.

Thanks for your help.

moonshot

ST911
11-14-07, 11:32
Ok, I thought I understood. Now I'm confused (again).
Are you saying...

I'm saying that in my experience, the straight 20s are more suspceptible to damage when dropped on their tops. The 30s and 20s that incorporate the 30rd design less so.

As demigod notes, the conventional GI 20 can may be repairable, whereas the 30 is most likely not.

I don't repair mags. When they're compromised, they're discarded. A mag that has less opportunity for compromise is therefore desirable.

Given this, which mag or group of mags is going to be more reliable under field use and more durable if abused? Whichever ones get the seal of approval will go into my emergency stash, while the others will be used for training and practice.

For long(er) life mags, I use the CP SS and PMags. I'm favoring the PMags right now, due to greater consistency than the former.

moonshot
11-14-07, 13:53
So the curved 20's are less likely to get damaged, but also less likely to be repairable? Whether this makes them "better" than a straight 20 or not, they hardly seem like an "abomination". Is there some other non-cosmetic reason some feel the curved 20 is to be avoided at all costs?

If not, it seems to come down to a coin toss. I would hate to have to rely on a magazine I had to repair, but I also may not be able to get a replacement.

Other than dropping on the feed lips or stepping on them, how does a mag get damaged?

Does the manufacturer of the mags make a difference in reliability or durability? I would assume so, but I don't know who made my straight mags (one may be Colt, the others I don't know). My curved are all Bushmaster.

What about followers? For those of you who prefer the straight 20's, 3 out of 4 of my straight 20's do not have anti-tilt followers, while 5 out of 6 of my curved 20's do. Does that "tilt" the balance towards the curved mags, or not?

moonshot

markm
11-14-07, 14:00
Damn it! Just buy some mags and shoot, MAN!:p

You're way overthinking this thing.

moonshot
11-14-07, 14:10
Hey, I have!

I just bought 10 PMAGs, with 5 more on order.

I am just trying to understand the reasons for what I read here. Someone just said the curved 20's are an "abomination". That was not my choice in words, it was theirs. That feeling is pretty strong, and must come from somewhere. As I don't have the experience from which to draw, I must rely on the experience of others.

I'm not too worried about my PMAGs, but my 20's may or may not be good "goto" magazines. If they are, great! If not, which ones are not, and why?

The why helps me understand so I don't make the same mistake again.

Just trying to learn something.

And yes, I do tend to over think things. It's what makes me "special".

moonshot

markm
11-14-07, 14:31
You will NOT be unhappy with the NHMTGs at the link I posted earlier. They're the same basic mag that you get when you buy a COLT L.E. carbean!

But you could by 5 of of the curved ones to try for yourself too.

onmilo
11-15-07, 07:56
Brownells won't admit it but the general consensus is that Brownell magazines are made by NHMTG under a modified blueprint specification.

The Brownells twenty shot straight side magazines use the new improved black plastic follower in their twenty shot magazines.

At $12.50 each on sale they are a genuine best buy right now.

Robb Jensen
11-15-07, 07:59
Brownells won't admit it but the general consensus is that Brownell magazines are made by NHMTG under a modified blueprint specification.

The Brownells twenty shot straight side magazines use the new improved black plastic follower in their twenty shot magazines.

At $12.50 each on sale they are a genuine best buy right now.

They're were. I do believe that the new mags are manufactured by another company. Compare a NHMTG mag and a new Brownells mag side by side and you'll see distinct differences.

Jack_Stroker
11-15-07, 13:59
I'm not a fan of the 20 round mags in general. I like 30 round mags, preferably H&K mags. The 20 round Colt mags that came with my Colt 6920 went into a bag of crap I don't generally use.

TacDoc
11-15-07, 16:43
I'm not a fan of the 20 round mags in general. I like 30 round mags, preferably H&K mags. The 20 round Colt mags that came with my Colt 6920 went into a bag of crap I don't generally use.

Ship 'em to me. I have lots of uses for them. ;)

toddackerman
11-15-07, 17:29
I want a few GOOD quality straight body 20 rounders for this rifle. Anti-tilt followers prefered. What are my options?

http://i16.tinypic.com/7xxqeyd.jpg

The mag in the pic is a Colt with anti-tilt metal follower. I have also a few C-Prods curved 20 rounders.

TacDoc...

It's been my experience that you can't beat the Colt 20 rounders, and the alloy follower is anti tilt. At least I can't make it tilt.

I'll bet you can find some on ARFCOM Equipment Exchange, but for genuine Colt 20 rounders, I wouldn't be surprised if they go for $30 or higher in mint condition. I have 4 NIW that I'm saving until in die.

Tack

knguye11
11-15-07, 17:44
I am using Cproduct. Never have a jam.

Heavy Metal
11-15-07, 17:52
Nice things about twenties are you can stuff the pockets of a field jacket full of em and they are excellent bench mags because they are short.

hatt
11-15-07, 19:06
TacDoc...

It's been my experience that you can't beat the Colt 20 rounders, and the alloy follower is anti tilt. At least I can't make it tilt.

I'll bet you can find some on ARFCOM Equipment Exchange, but for genuine Colt 20 rounders, I wouldn't be surprised if they go for $30 or higher in mint condition. I have 4 NIW that I'm saving until in die.

Tack

I know a guy who has(had?) boxes of used Colt 20s for like $12 apiece.

scottryan
11-15-07, 19:09
There are a number of things a 20 round magazine can do that a 30 round magazine cannot. Such as....

Good prone shooting.

Using the side view mirror on your vehicle as a rest and not have the magazine hit the vehicles door.

Letting the user have a rifle in a tool box, racket bag, gym bag or other tight spot and be able to immediately deploy the rifle already loaded.

moonshot
11-15-07, 20:43
I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance here, but other than cosmetics, why the switch from the original straight mag to a curved mag? For that matter, why is the 30 curved and not straight?

The only reasons I can think of are...

1- a visual and tactile orientation to aid correct insertion.

2- feed reliability due to the .223/5.56 shape (but why was the original straight, and aren't the 7.62x51 variants all equipped with straight mags)?

3- a curved mag might be a hair shorted than a straight mag, but I'll bet it's not by much.

Did I miss any?

moonshot

toddackerman
11-15-07, 21:25
It is due to relaible feeding of 30 rounds versus 20 rounds. It's a small difference but is proven to be a reliable design (30 round curved).

Jack_Stroker
11-16-07, 00:09
TacDoc...

Tack

I just bought a Colt LE 6920 today and the two 20 round mags it came with have a black plastic follower. They seem to be more tilt prone than the green followers.

markm
11-16-07, 07:12
I just bought a Colt LE 6920 today and the two 20 round mags it came with have a black plastic follower. They seem to be more tilt prone than the green followers.

Don't panic. Those are damned good mags. The original USGIs with the alluminum followers behave exactly the same. The follower has to have some tilt to function.. (it's a straight mag bod with a curving stack of rounds inside of it)

markm
11-16-07, 07:16
I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance here, but other than cosmetics, why the switch from the original straight mag to a curved mag? For that matter, why is the 30 curved and not straight?

Within a 20 round mag the rounds deepest in the mag will actually be pointing upward slightly. This is due to the shape of the 5.56 cartridge.... line up a bunch... they form a curve.

When you extend the capacity of a mag to 30, it's going to need some curvature to accomodate the shape of the round.

Jack_Stroker
11-16-07, 12:40
Don't panic. Those are damned good mags. The original USGIs with the alluminum followers behave exactly the same. The follower has to have some tilt to function.. (it's a straight mag bod with a curving stack of rounds inside of it)

Those mags could be crap for all I care. I might use them, but I've got so many Defense Contractor mags, H&K mags, and a Beta-C mag I'd use first.

markm
11-16-07, 12:54
Those mags could be crap for all I care. I might use them, but I've got so many Defense Contractor mags, H&K mags, and a Beta-C mag I'd use first.

I'm not sure I understand your point. The 20s that come with the COLT LE guns are OKAYs. Some of the best you can get. FAR superior to HK mags and Beta mags.

Jack_Stroker
11-17-07, 00:39
I'm not sure I understand your point. The 20s that come with the COLT LE guns are OKAYs. Some of the best you can get. FAR superior to HK mags and Beta mags.

I prefer 30 round mags. Personally I've never found any mag that was more reliable than the H&K mags.

markm
11-17-07, 07:48
I prefer 30 round mags. Personally I've never found any mag that was more reliable than the H&K mags.

You must have some good ones. The HKs are not highly regarded by the Marines I've talked to. (I like to get the perspective of people who don't really spend time on the gun boards from time to time.)

What 30s have you shot that weren't 100% reliable? I've never had an issue with any USGI mags.

M193 BALL
11-17-07, 16:47
I LOVE MY OLD COLT 20rounders with METAL FOLLOWERS

Never any trouble since the 80`S

BushmasterFanBoy
11-17-07, 23:35
You must have some good ones. The HKs are not highly regarded by the Marines I've talked to. (I like to get the perspective of people who don't really spend time on the gun boards from time to time.)

What 30s have you shot that weren't 100% reliable? I've never had an issue with any USGI mags.

Same here, all my USGI mags work 100%, shame I can't say the same of my HK's. (failure to lock back, bent feedlips )

Jack_Stroker
11-18-07, 10:06
I LOVE MY OLD COLT 20rounders with METAL FOLLOWERS

Never any trouble since the 80`S

My Colt mags have a terrible finish and black plastic follwers.

Jack_Stroker
11-18-07, 10:07

I haven't either. A friend of mine has some black mags that give him nothing but trouble in his Bushmaster. I don't know what brand they are, but they are not H&K's and they cost a little more than the USGI mags I've got. I loaned him one of my USGI mags and it worked flawlessly in his Bushmaster AR, so he's going to pick some of the USGI mags up.

As for my H&K mags, they've been flawless in both my Bushmaster and my Colt.

sgtlmj
11-18-07, 10:37
I used to have a ton of metal follower GI mags, but in a severe case of the dumb ass, I sold them. That was right before the 94 ban too, I could've waited a bit and made $$$.

Anyway, I got a bunch of Bushie 20rders years ago that would not work. Lots of jams. I've since gotten a couple of the Stoner (C-Prod?) curved 20rders and they work great. Most of my cases fit the rifle better with a 20rd mag in the well, so I like to have a few around.

If the Colt's are running good, I'll have to try them. Just got 2 with my 6920.

markm
11-18-07, 10:37
My Colt mags have a terrible finish and black plastic follwers.

Finish on mags serves no purpose. And like guns, rating a mag based on finish is unwise. I'll take a quality mag with a scratched and sloppy looking finish before I'll run an aftermarket with a beautiful finish every day of the week.

As far as black followers, they're fine. They're the only follower you can get in a current production QUALITY mag such as COLT/OKAY/NHMTG.

toddackerman
11-18-07, 11:48
I used to have a ton of metal follower GI mags, but in a severe case of the dumb ass, I sold them. That was right before the 94 ban too, I could've waited a bit and made $$$.

Anyway, I got a bunch of Bushie 20rders years ago that would not work. Lots of jams. I've since gotten a couple of the Stoner (C-Prod?) curved 20rders and they work great. Most of my cases fit the rifle better with a 20rd mag in the well, so I like to have a few around.

If the Colt's are running good, I'll have to try them. Just got 2 with my 6920.

To calrify...I can only attest to the Colt's of yester year that have the "Alloy Followers" as being reliable. I have never shot the "Black Follower" Colt's.

What followers came in the mags with you 6920???

Jack_Stroker
11-18-07, 15:03
Finish on mags serves no purpose. And like guns, rating a mag based on finish is unwise. I'll take a quality mag with a scratched and sloppy looking finish before I'll run an aftermarket with a beautiful finish every day of the week.

As far as black followers, they're fine. They're the only follower you can get in a current production QUALITY mag such as COLT/OKAY/NHMTG.

I don't rate mags on finish alone. However you can surely have a decent finish and a quality follower. I have plenty of USGI mags that have green followers and they don't scratch up too easily. I also have several with the crap finish and green follower that work very well and I've got H&K mags that work excellent out of both my Bushmaster and my Colt without issue. Those have the best follower design and a great finish that doesn't show wear easily.

ZGXtreme
11-18-07, 15:23
To calrify...I can only attest to the Colt's of yester year that have the "Alloy Followers" as being reliable. I have never shot the "Black Follower" Colt's.

What followers came in the mags with you 6920???

They come with the black follower 20 round mags. Same two that came with my 6933. Have used them some and not a single hickup. I like them a lot and used one as my duty mag until I got a PMAG to test and fall in love with.

jmart
11-18-07, 16:12
For folks that simply insist on having the metal follower -- Link (http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=1509&Category_Code=AA)

Jack_Stroker
11-18-07, 18:06
They come with the black follower 20 round mags. Same two that came with my 6933. Have used them some and not a single hickup. I like them a lot and used one as my duty mag until I got a PMAG to test and fall in love with.

I was checking out the PMAG today. I like the follower design, though it wouldn't be any better than the H&K I don't think. My only problem with these mags is that they are ugly. (Not necessarily a deal breaker.)

The mags I keep on hand for defensive purposes are currently my two H&K mags. They have yet to fail me in any way.

ZGXtreme
11-18-07, 18:29
I was checking out the PMAG today. I like the follower design, though it wouldn't be any better than the H&K I don't think. My only problem with these mags is that they are ugly. (Not necessarily a deal breaker.)

The mags I keep on hand for defensive purposes are currently my two H&K mags. They have yet to fail me in any way.

I don't want to sway this topic away from the questions posed by the OP but Jack I'd recommend you get at least one to try. I was hesitent also but added one to an ammo order and now I am sold. The only mags I would 100% are my Colt 20 rounders and the PMAGs. According to MagPul the 20 round PMAG will also be available "soon" and will be straight in lieu of merely cutting down the curved 30 rounder. Will add yet another viable choice in the magazine field.

toddackerman
11-18-07, 18:51

Stay with the PMAG's for ahwile, and you will be a believer.

moonshot
11-18-07, 19:18
A straight 20 round PMAG? Sweet.

moonshot

Jack_Stroker
11-18-07, 19:41
Why do people love 20 rounders so much anyway?

Shihan
11-18-07, 20:04

Durablity wise the HK's dont compare to the Pmag.

threefivesevenmag
11-18-07, 22:52
I second the Brownell's choice. They have CS springs. Never had a problem out of them, even though I run Pmags mostly. Plus, they won't break the bank.

ZGXtreme
11-18-07, 23:23
I searched for the CAD designed 20-round PMAG but could not find it. I did locate the following image and while I cannot vouch for it's authenticity, the image appearance resembles that of the "official" drawing I saw. So this is enough to show what will most likely become available.

Of course, this image was to show the future PMAG intergrated Ranger plates which are also planned for the future. MagPul is really listening to it's customers and doing some great things.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/zgxtreme_photos/pmagranger2.jpg

TWR
11-19-07, 07:42
Why do people love 20 rounders so much anyway?

I can only speak for myself but I like them because they offer plenty of firepower for me, they are easy to shoot prone or off a rest, they can be carried in a back pocket if the need arises and most importantly, they are the most trouble free mag out there.

I also have some of the blocked 20 rd mags that are limited to 5 rounds for hunting laws in some states. They are a handy mag size to keep in the truck, here and there. I do have 30 rd mags, OKAY Ind. and P-mags but I rarely use them. I have been putting a few rounds through the P-mag just to see if they're all they say and so far no problems but if they make a 20 round version I will order in bulk.

markm
11-19-07, 07:48
I second the Brownell's choice. They have CS springs. Never had a problem out of them, even though I run Pmags mostly. Plus, they won't break the bank.

CS springs are a negative to me due to the corrosion issue. They failed Magpuls tests (they literally broke), and thus the Pmag comes with a Stainless spring.

patrol120
11-19-07, 07:57
I have had nothing but luck with the CP 20rd alum curved mags, with MP followers. I may be the only one, but they work for me.

Jack_Stroker
11-19-07, 09:30
I can only speak for myself but I like them because they offer plenty of firepower for me, they are easy to shoot prone or off a rest, they can be carried in a back pocket if the need arises and most importantly, they are the most trouble free mag out there.

I also have some of the blocked 20 rd mags that are limited to 5 rounds for hunting laws in some states. They are a handy mag size to keep in the truck, here and there. I do have 30 rd mags, OKAY Ind. and P-mags but I rarely use them. I have been putting a few rounds through the P-mag just to see if they're all they say and so far no problems but if they make a 20 round version I will order in bulk.

I can understand using them from a prone or rest position. That makes sense. As for the hunting thing, again you have a valid point, but I've never had any trouble or issues out of any quality 30 round magazine.

patrol120
11-19-07, 09:54
I simply prefer the handling characteristics of the 20rd mag.

chadbag
11-19-07, 09:56
I like 20 rd mags. I have a bunch of each size but the 20rd mags are my goto mags. I am just a civilian wannabe -- not a real man putting myself in harms way -- but in a situation, I want to be able to go prone and be low and otherwise not have a long magazine in the way. Train the way you work and work the way you train.

I mainly have the curved 20rd brownells, which have been flawless in both my guns (self built). A few of the AR-Stoner (CProd as I understand it) curved 20s. I have some newer straight brownells, a few old colts from the 80s, and a bunch of steel 20rd mags from some SE Asian country (came in govt looking wrap with some sort of cambodian or something script on it) that I got ages ago for $3 a piece. All the mags I have work fine (some of the asian steel ones need to have the front fed lips slightly adjusted -- they are my plinker mags if they get used -- the brownells ones are my goto mags and the colts)

I also have a ton of various 30rd mags and some PMAGs. I would like a 20rd PMAG

Chad

markm
11-19-07, 10:08
I simply prefer the handling characteristics of the 20rd mag.

That is a good point too!

For patrol purposes, 20 round mags are infinitely easier to manipulate. You can do tac reloads just like you do with your pistol.

I've found that tac reloads in class are much more cumbersome with 30s.

TacDoc
11-19-07, 12:14
Wow! Four pages of serious, respectful and intelligent discussion. No fights over this is better than this. This place don't cease to amaze me!

I understand all your suggestion about why a straight 20 rounder is handier than a curved 30 rounder, but in a real SHTF situation I prefer to have 10 more rounds of fire power and deal with whatever shooting position I can get...

Just this friendly dentist's opinion :rolleyes:

About the 20 rds Pmags, I'm in for a few for sure. The scout plates look great, probably a handy addition, hope they dont sacrifice 1 round capacity.

Jack_Stroker
11-19-07, 12:27
Wow! Four pages of serious, respectful and intelligent discussion. No fights over this is better than this. This place don't cease to amaze me!

I understand all your suggestion about why a straight 20 rounder is handier than a curved 30 rounder, but in a real SHTF situation I prefer to have 10 more rounds of fire power and deal with whatever shooting position I can get...

Just this friendly dentist's opinion :rolleyes:

About the 20 rds Pmags, I'm in for a few for sure. The scout plates look great, probably a handy addition, hope they dont sacrifice 1 round capacity.

That's another thing, I don't understand the popularity of ranger plates. Do you find they actually make mag changes easier? Personally I can't see how they could help in any way.

I don't know, I guess I'm just a huge fan of steel, USGI style 30 round mags and little else.

TacDoc
11-19-07, 12:43
That's another thing, I don't understand the popularity of ranger plates. Do you find they actually make mag changes easier? Personally I can't see how they could help in any way.

I don't know, I guess I'm just a huge fan of steel, USGI style 30 round mags and little else.

Magpuls/ranger plates aid in removing mags from pouches. In a real stressful situation when you are in need of a FAST reload which of the following mags are easier to grab and remove from the pouch?

http://i14.tinypic.com/853amw7.jpg

Shihan
11-19-07, 12:44

They help with getting gear out of pouches, they also keep yopu from destryoing a mag when doing a speed change. The ranger Plate and original Magpul are a great inovation.

tiger seven
11-19-07, 12:52
I recently picked up a few NHMTG 20-rounders from 44MAG.com (http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NH20) for $13.99 each. The nice thing is that they even throw in a free alloy follower for those that prefer it to the black one that comes in the mag.

I agree with the general concensus that everyone who owns an AR should have at least a few straight 20-round mags on hand.

Derek

Jack_Stroker
11-20-07, 10:27
Magpuls/ranger plates aid in removing mags from pouches. In a real stressful situation when you are in need of a FAST reload which of the following mags are easier to grab and remove from the pouch?

Ok, that makes sense.

toddackerman
11-20-07, 10:50
.... but in a situation, I want to be able to go prone and be low and otherwise not have a long magazine in the way. Train the way you work and work the way you train.

Chad

Regarding staying low, and training with a 30 round Mag...that's what the "Roll Over Prone" position is for. Try training with it as it is a valuable tool.

Renegade
11-20-07, 11:55
OK, I'm new to AR's, so I ask a lot of dumb questions, but what is the issue with curved 20 round mags being non-USGI?

When MagPul comes out with a curved 20, all will be forgotten...

moonshot
11-20-07, 16:17
Curved or straight, I want some PMAG-20's.

moonshot

Jack_Stroker
11-20-07, 21:52
Curved or straight, I want some PMAG-20's.

moonshot

To each their own I guess. I wouldn't own any 20 rounders if it weren't for the fact that my Colt LE 6920 came with two of them.

moonshot
11-21-07, 11:43
Just how important are anti-tilt followers? Some of my 20rd mags have them, some don't.

If very important, where can I get replacements to fit both straight and curved 20rd mags?

Do followers need to be matched to specific styles or brand of mag?

moonshot

markm
11-21-07, 12:35
Just how important are anti-tilt followers? Some of my 20rd mags have them, some don't.

If very important, where can I get replacements to fit both straight and curved 20rd mags?

moonshot

Don't mess with your followers. Magpul anti tilts don't work in the straight 20s. STRAIGHT 20s NEED TO BE ABLE TO TILT A LITTLE. This thread is reaching the stupidity threshold, Damn it! :mad:

Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade. This thread needs to be moved to TOS! :rolleyes:

Jack_Stroker
11-21-07, 12:38

moonshot

Well I know the PMAGs and H&K mags have anti-tilt followers, but I've got plenty of USGI mags that just have the standard green follower, and it's never been a problem. I think the anti-tilt follower only matters when you are actually loading magazines. I've never had any problems during shooting. You might want to check with guys that have used them in combat and see what they say, but my guess is it doesn't matter a whole lot otherwise the military wouldn't use mags without anti-tilt followers.

rob_s
11-21-07, 12:39
Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade.
A-****en-men!

Most of us would be thousands of dollars richer and alot damn happier if we'd remember that.

Renegade
11-21-07, 12:47

Best quote of 2007.

Stickman
11-21-07, 21:24
When MagPul comes out with a curved 20, all will be forgotten...

I wouldn't hold my breath for a curved 20 from Magpul. Its always possible that I could be wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

moonshot
11-21-07, 21:41

This thread was worth it, if only for that quote.

moonshot

scottryan
11-21-07, 22:44

The truth has been spoken

ST911
11-22-07, 11:46
Few "improvements", are.