PDA

View Full Version : Mount a RDS on rail on a fixed carry handle AR?

djegators
09-20-11, 22:10
Just curious if anyone has mounted a RDS on a quad rail in a scout type of setup on a fixed carry handle AR, and how well it works. Working on getting a Colt 6450, and kicking around ideas for optics, but not too crazy about putting one on top of the carry handle. The specific rail in question would be a KAC RAS.

lethal dose
09-20-11, 23:11
It CAN be done and has been done, but the preferred method in this case would be to add an a.r.m.s. carry handle gooseneck... about the only a.r.m.s. product I know of that has not recieved a ton of hate. I see no ill effect of putting a rds on a solid reputable ff rail. Some claim a possible change in poa/poi. While this is possible, I think the risk can be lessened by mounting the optic as far back on the rail as possible. I don't see a rail of solid manufacture being any less stable then a gooseneck being attached to a carry handle by a thumb screw. None of this, however should be used as advice, as I have experimented with neither. ;)

Failure2Stop
09-20-11, 23:17
Wow, talk about lose/lose.
I have used the goosenecks for A2s, but I have no idea if it is compatible with a railed HG.
Definately wouldn't want to mount it on top of the A2 "carry handle".
Really, for the cost of the mount and added failure points I would probably pick up a railed upper and do a barrel/HG swap.

lethal dose
09-20-11, 23:22
This, of course, would be your best bet. Hock your upper and snag a flat top.
Wow, talk about lose/lose.
I have used the goosenecks for A2s, but I have no idea if it is compatible with a railed HG.
Definately wouldn't want to mount it on top of the A2 "carry handle".
Really, for the cost of the mount and added failure points I would probably pick up a railed upper and do a barrel/HG swap.

djegators
09-21-11, 19:40
Yes, I see this a viable option. And I know this isn't really the correct forum for this, but it is important to use a 9mm upper, or would it be acceptable to use any upper?