PDA

View Full Version : CCW-help Pick! Choices inside!!!!

hghlndr85
09-20-11, 23:03
First im new this is my first post, ive been a silent follower for a few months.ok im going to be concealed carrying my permit will be here this week, im prob gonna go with a in waist band style holester, here what i would be looking for in a gun and my choices help me out from there guys
what im looking for-
-good overall gun
-cheap to shoot, i plan on at least 1 day a week at the range.
-fun to shoot,no on wants a gun they hate firing
-reliability, its gonna get used and i want it to work when i need it to, im meticulous about keeping my stuff clean so thats not a worry.
-ability to accept any an every brand,grain,load ammo
-conceal factor, it will be a ccw/range fun gun so i want it to be concealed.
-i would prefere a manual safety, i know everyone hates them i just feel better with the option of having it.
-quality, i know you get what upay for i want a good built dependable accurate gun.

Choices-
-hk usp 9compact
-walther ppq 9
-m&p 9 or 40 c
-ruger sr9c
-cz p01 or p07
-xdm in 9 or 40c
-lastly the glock 19. i know they are good but them being ugly as sin with no real safety throws it last on list.

lets hear your helpful thoughts guys!!

oef24
09-20-11, 23:06
I would definitely go with the Glock 19 as my 1st choice and 2nd choice. The M&P would be a distant 3rd.

O

hghlndr85
09-20-11, 23:12
out of trying to learn more and see wat people pick and y, what made u pick glock

BCmJUnKie
09-20-11, 23:20
First, try using better grammar. You will get fired on for talking like a 15 year old over a text message.

The M&P is a good choice. ALOT of people (including myself) carry it on a daily basis.

The G19 is an amazing gun also.

Those are my two and only recommendations out of your list.

It all comes down to personal preference. Everyone is of course going to recommend what THEY carry... when it comes down to what fits YOU and what you like.

Edit: Before everyone gets butthurt, I wasnt "bashing" on anyones pistol :)
Get to a gun store and hold as many as you can. No point in buying a gun that doesnt fit your hand. I have a few friends that have freakishly short thumbs,m so that makes it difficult to engage the safety.

Try and shoot some of the guns you are interested in

DeltaSierra
09-20-11, 23:26
Before choosing a weapon that will accompany you everywhere you go, you really need some more experience with several different handguns.

Once you finally do decide on one handgun, go take a class.

Also, ditch the IWB holster idea (for now.) While they are great holsters for certain applications you shouldn't be lumping choosing a handgun, and choosing a holster together. Focus on choosing a handgun, and then choose a holster...

These "help me choose" threads are getting ridiculous. If you have a particular question about one or two different weapons, please ask, but until you have some more information to base your questions off...

BCmJUnKie
09-20-11, 23:31
...These "help me choose" threads are getting ridiculous. If you have a particular question about one or two different weapons, please ask, but until you have some more information to base your questions off...

+1000.

You would think some people would need help choosing a paper bag or Charmin to wipe their ass with.

"Well a paper bag is gonna get you MORE wipes but Charmin feels better"

Hizzie
09-20-11, 23:38
Out of your listed handguns the Glock 19. Why? Simply because it fits the hand well, is reliable, easy to shoot, easy to learn to shoot well, 9mm so easy to control, 9mm so affordable to shoot, huge selection of holsters, tons of aftermarket parts-like night sights, Advantage Arms makes a 22LR conversion kit that rocks for cheap skills practice and the Glock 19 is very affordable. Beauty is for fancy hunting rifles that get showed more than shot. Guns that you rely on to save your life or someone elses Works Every Time is what matters.

FYI-the Korean KCI Glock mags are crap, avoid them.

I see that a manual safety is important to you yet most of your choices lack that feature. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate the need for this feature.

BCmJUnKie
09-20-11, 23:44
FYI-the Korean KCI Glock mags are crap, avoid them..

Uhhh...actually, my KCI mags work just as well and MOST times work BETTER than my factory Glock mags.

I have a Gen 1 G17, the factory mags wont drop free when loaded, they only lock back on occasion as well.

KCI mags arent bad, well, they arent bad in mine anyway lol

YMMV

Ed L.
09-20-11, 23:47
These "help me choose" threads are getting ridiculous. If you have a particular question about one or two different weapons, please ask, but until you have some more information to base your questions off...

I agree that these 'help me choose threads' are getting tiresome and are reminicent of lower level messageboards (for lack of a better word). However, I imagine that being new to guns these days can be overwhelming for some people because there is so much information to sort through and there are more choices in guns and equipment.

Some of us first got involved in firearms before there was an internet. At that time there wasn't as many choices in firearms and gear, and information was gathered by speaking to people you know, speaking to gun dealers, and reading books and magazines. It was slower and more limited and allowed you to absorb the information better.

. . . and get the Glock or the M&P. If you want a safety go for the M&P with a thumb safety or maybe the H&K USP compact.

Try to find a place where you can rent them and try each of those three out. Or try out the two of those that you like the best.

Of the three I mentioned, I would take the Glock 19. But I am not you.

erratic
09-20-11, 23:52
I know the M&P can be had with a manual safety, and the Sr9c has it standard.... others on the list as well.

I don't think any of those weapons one your list would be a bad choice. Most things from major brands seem perfectly serviceable. If I were you, just go in and pick one you like that fits your hand. Then start a collection and buy them all.

rathos
09-21-11, 00:07
Glock 26 or 19 or an M&P FS 9 or Compact 9. For a holster I would say go for something IWB in a VM 2 style holster.

The glock is going to have more off the shelf holsters available and tons of accessories. Mags will pretty much be the same price, I think the M&Ps might be about $2 more per mag. The glock is going to have a better trigger out of the box, M&P can be made better with APEX gear. If you can't do it yourself you can buy one from C4IGrant with the apex gear in it I believe. He is also a good source of mags at a really good price.

If you can go to a range and rent them. I can't tell you how many people come in and fondle pistols and have them "feel good" to get them out on the range and find they hate the way the gun shoots.

Good luck in your search.

DocGKR
09-21-11, 00:14
Stop!

Don't purchase any pistol yet.

The most important thing you can do is invest in good initial training. Officers in our area have reported outstanding training from Pat Mcnamara/TMAC, Magpul Dynamics, Trident Concepts, EAG, PistolTraining.com, VTAC, CSAT, Vickers Tactical, Fulcrum Concepts, ITTS, Kyle Defoor, and TigerSwan––you would be ahead of the game to get training from any of them. Some other folks offering good training include: Pat Goodale/PFT, Louis Awerbuck/Yavpai Shooting Academy, LMS Defense, Jason Falla/Redback One, Mike Pannone/CTT Solutions, Jim Smith/Spartan Tactical, Dave Hall, Don Lazzarini, and Rob Haught on shotguns. A lot of these classes are available through Grey Group Training.

Once you have decent training and a bit of experience, then select a good pistol. The M&P9 w/ambi safety would certainly be a good place to start, as would a good used 3rd gen G17 or G19.

vigilant2
09-21-11, 00:16
To echo a little of what others have said, you need to go out and
try these guns yourself first . Narrow your list down some and then inquire about a smaller selection.
With the exception of the PPQ 9 all of these pistols are available
for rentals at my local range, YMMV.
I own 4 G19's, G26, G20C and a dedicated G19 in .22LR (advantage arms) so you know what I'm gonna say;).
For me its
Glock 19 or M&P 9mm. A co-worker recently asked for my help in
selecting a weapon. We went to the range, he shot my Gen3 and
Gen 4 G19's and rented an M&P 9 on my recommendation and
wound up getting the M&P 9. It felt better to him and he was able
to get good hits with a little instruction.
Now he wants to get the trigger to break/reset more like my glocks
so of course an apex will be in the future. But for now its night sights, a holster and at least one class.
Thats how you go about it.

EDT- I see Docs post came in above my slow typing skillz.

JackFanToM
09-21-11, 00:33
Just a quick few comments....for those that find assisting one of these "help me pick" threads tiresome...simple solution...ignore them. Not every member of this forum is a plethora of gun knowledge, and those that don't know (and want to know) ask. I think everyone in here gets a bit more irate over misinformation vs. ignorance.

Now, as for taking classes prior to purchasing a pistol...well not all of us are fortunate enough to have that luxury. In SD, you have to have a pistol and demonstrate that you can use it before getting your CCW, and I would imagine that I would like to get some trigger time on the gun I plan to use as a CCW in a nice training class....kinda defeats the purpose of taking a class, developing skills, and then turning in the rental/borrowed gun at the end. I would go to "several" gun shops and handle each of those guns multiple times for feel, location of various hardware on the gun, trigger feel, weight, sights, etc....then rent your top 2-3 and buy some rounds and fire them...alot! The gun will never save your life, but your skills with the gun might.

DocGKR
09-21-11, 01:08
"The gun will never save your life, but your skills with the gun might."

Hence the recommendation for good initial training...

Magic_Salad0892
09-21-11, 03:05
Glock 19.

If not that then Walther PPQ.

CoryCop25
09-21-11, 03:32
Glock 19 first, M&P 9mm second.

The skinny on the Korean Glock mags can be summed up like this.....
If they work out of the wrapper, they will work well. If they do not, they won't get any better unless you replace the spring and followers with Glock parts. I have 4 Korean Glock mags and 14 Glock mags and all but 2 33 round Korean mags work perfectly. I would not use the Korean mags for everyday carry, just range time.

Training is important and would be best served when first starting to learn how to shoot a handgun. With proper training in the beginning, you will not have any training scars to deal with.

Good Luck

Nephrology
09-21-11, 07:37
While normally I would be enthusiastic to just reply "Glock 19!!!" from the way that the OP worded his post it sounds like he needs to maybe put some more ammo downrange with someone watching him who knows what the hell they are doing before he worries about buying a a gun.

Grease Monkey
09-21-11, 07:38
+1000.

You would think some people would need help choosing a paper bag or Charmin to wipe their ass with.

"Well a paper bag is gonna get you MORE wipes but Charmin feels better"

LOL! That shit made me laugh dude!! Now I need to figure out how to put it in my signature.... If, of course, you don't mind.

blackboar
09-21-11, 08:22
Of those on your list, which ones have you actually shot? What did you think? In terms of concealability, what is your build? What method of carry do you want to use? What is your normal dress? Do you currently own any of the above pistols, or is this a shopping question?

In terms of having a manual safety, why do you prefer a manual safety? Have you trained and are you willing to devote the time it takes to master that? I've been practicing predominately with my Glocks and recently acquired a 1911 as a fun/range gun. Man, that safety takes some getting use to!

I am by no means an expert of any type, but those were some of the questions I asked myself.

bubba04
09-21-11, 08:37
My carry choice is the HK P7 Series or G19.

Littlelebowski
09-21-11, 08:40
Glock 19, third gen.

C4IGrant
09-21-11, 08:48
First im new this is my first post, ive been a silent follower for a few months.ok im going to be concealed carrying my permit will be here this week, im prob gonna go with a in waist band style holester, here what i would be looking for in a gun and my choices help me out from there guys
what im looking for-
-good overall gun
-cheap to shoot, i plan on at least 1 day a week at the range.
-reliability, its gonna get used and i want it to work when i need it to, im meticulous about keeping my stuff clean so thats not a worry.
-ability to accept any an every brand,grain,load ammo
-conceal factor, it will be a ccw/range fun gun so i want it to be concealed.
-i would prefere a manual safety, i know everyone hates them i just feel better with the option of having it.
-quality, i know you get what upay for i want a good built dependable accurate gun.

Choices-
-hk usp 9compact
-walther ppq 9
-m&p 9 or 40 c
-ruger sr9c
-cz p01 or p07
-xdm in 9 or 40c
-lastly the glock 19. i know they are good but them being ugly as sin with no real safety throws it last on list.

lets hear your helpful thoughts guys!!

Your choices are pretty solid, but I would ditch the Ruger, XDM and CZ.

When looking at G19's, I would go with an older GEN 3 G19 or a GEN 2 G19.

C4

d90king
09-21-11, 09:33
Stop!

The most important thing you can do is invest in good initial training. Officers in our area have reported outstanding training from Pat Mcnamara/TMAC, Magpul Dynamics, Trident Concepts, EAG, PistolTraining.com, VTAC, CSAT, Vickers Tactical, Fulcrum Concepts, ITTS, Kyle Defoor, and TigerSwan––you would be ahead of the game to get training from any of them. Some other folks offering good training include: Pat Goodale/PFT, Louis Awerbuck/Yavpai Shooting Academy, LMS Defense, Jason Falla/Redback One, Mike Pannone/CTT Solutions, Jim Smith/Spartan Tactical, Dave Hall, Don Lazzarini, and Rob Haught on shotguns. A lot of these classes are available through Grey Group Training.

Once you have decent training and a bit of experience, then select a good pistol. The M&P9 w/ambi safety would certainly be a good place to start, as would a good used 3rd gen G17 or G19.

So much wisdom here that it needs to be quoted again!

Nephrology
09-21-11, 09:50
So much wisdom here that it needs to be quoted again!

Yeah...

I mean, seriously, if I could go back in time to my 21 year old self about to buy his first gun I would tell him to wait until he knew what the HELL he was doing before he bought it.

tb-av
09-21-11, 09:51

In my experience, compacts are not as fun to shoot as full size guns. The only compact that I have shot that I can actually say is fun to shoot is a Walther PPS but even that is not as much fun as a 1911.

When you hear guys say they love their compact whatever and how well it shoots.... those are almost always relative statements. It should probably end with ... it's almost as fun as my..( insert mid/full size gun here ).

It sounds like what you want is a M&P9 or G19 as others have said.

In reality you want two guns. A full sized fun gun and a compact good shooting CCW gun.

jmlshooter
09-21-11, 10:17
You wouldn't buy a Corvette for your first car.

My suggestion is that you buy the Glock and practice, practice, practice.. If you don't like it, you can resell it for very close to what you paid for it.

dhunley1
09-21-11, 11:06
You should probably go to a range that rents guns and decide for yourself. Out of the ones on your list I would give the edge to the Glock 19 and the M&P9c. Personally I prefer the M&P but that's just me.

davebee456
09-21-11, 12:13
your list is great,
I have a Glock19 and a Hk USPc 45...
Either the Glock 19 or the Hk USPc in 9mm would be great,
I love the thumb saftey on the Hk USP
I am even thinking about trading a glock 19 for the USPc on 9mm because of the thumb safety

Grease Monkey
09-21-11, 12:28

My suggestion is that you buy the Glock and practice, practice, practice.. If you don't like it, you can resell it for very close to what you paid for it.

Good advice.

steve m
09-21-11, 12:59
Echo's other people saying in that training is the best thing, then after training rent some/shoot buddies and see what you like. The buy three of them and train train train. Don't be a member of the gun of the month club. (guilty) Settle on what you like and shoot well, train and train.

SteveS
09-21-11, 13:15
I wouldn't discount a J frame Airweight ,light small and easy to carry fits into the front pocket. Mine is in my pocket and with me all the time . The J frame is to me easier to carry than my Kahr PM9 or XDsc. The semis are easier to shoot well . The J frame is effortless to carry.With practice the J frame shoots surprisingly good.

SteveS
09-21-11, 13:24

My suggestion is that you buy the Glock and practice, practice, practice.. If you don't like it, you can resell it for very close to what you paid for it. I graduated High school in 1971 and my best friends dad owned an auto wholesale company and when we turned 16 would bring home late model Corvettes for the summer so we could drive them!!! It was great to say the least.

hghlndr85
09-21-11, 20:39
thanks for all the helpful input guys, and to the few that were kind of short and rough with their post, im sorry for my spelling i posted after a 13 hour work day,yuck, and i agree withe the pistol classes and going to shoot different guns,however,the range by me on has a few of these guns, older full size glocks, older s&ws, revolvers. no much for me to compare. so far i like the usp,ppq,and glock 19 just for hand feel, if the glock had a safety id be sold.

Nephrology
09-21-11, 21:16
thanks for all the helpful input guys, and to the few that were kind of short and rough with their post, im sorry for my spelling i posted after a 13 hour work day,yuck, and i agree withe the pistol classes and going to shoot different guns,however,the range by me on has a few of these guns, older full size glocks, older s&ws, revolvers. no much for me to compare. so far i like the usp,ppq,and glock 19 just for hand feel, if the glock had a safety id be sold.

Glocks have safeties. There are four. Drop safety, trigger safety, firing safety, and keeping your mother ****ing finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

If you really absolutely could not live at all without a manual safety get the M&P.

Axcelea
09-21-11, 21:51
Personally went with Glock 19 Gen 3 (was no 4 at the time at any rate) and rather like the grip, trigger, size, capacity, no manual safeties (4 mentioned above (have to include not putting the booger hook on the trigger) are plenty long as your smart (such as proper holster)), looks, stock sights, finish, mags, etc were just fine for me. If I revisited this situation and picked something else listed it would be USP or M&P.

XD series was the main competitor in my eyes back then and it was an easy pass over for different reasons. Own a full sized XDM currently and have to say it isn't all that much to jump at, don't have any of the retarded doom and gloom that seems to surround XD and XDM talk but just haven't had a "OMG its awesome!" situation, some negatives.

So I would have to say Glock 19 then M&P ~ USP compact, forget the XDM unless its something to throw in a collection for what ever reason (get better gun first).

sgtjosh
09-22-11, 17:14
The G19.

It does have safeties. The first one is between your ears. the second one does not touch the trigger until the sights are on target and a conscious decision to fire has been made.

Since the gun is for CCW, a manual safety for retention's sake is not necessary.

The gun is a tool, not a fashion accessory.

Palmguy
09-22-11, 18:10
Glocks have safeties. There are four. Drop safety, trigger safety, firing safety, and keeping your mother ****ing finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

If you really absolutely could not live at all without a manual safety get the M&P.

:)

I'd like to see Glock add that fourth one to their armorer's mat.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/bridoyal/glockbenchmat.jpg

SiGfever
09-22-11, 18:18
Stop!

You can take what this man tells you to the bank. Listen, he speaks from a wealth of knowledge and experience. just my $.015

cop1211
09-22-11, 19:16
HK P30, or P30 LS, 9mm.

hghlndr85
09-22-11, 20:10
i got my self in a pistol class on sunday, i appriciate the help i know the glock is a good gun but im fed up with the "hey stupid keep finger off the trigger,thats the safety" i already trained myself to keep it off the trigger, i came here to get useful help, thanks to those who helped

Nephrology
09-22-11, 20:14
i got my self in a pistol class on sunday, i appriciate the help i know the glock is a good gun but im fed up with the "hey stupid keep finger off the trigger,thats the safety" i already trained myself to keep it off the trigger, i came here to get useful help, thanks to those who helped

It is something to emphasize because manual safeties are NOT something to live by or to trust. They only offer an extra layer of mental comfort, and to LEOs or for those who are sincerely concerned about weapon retention, another (albeit slight) layer of safety.

There is a youtube video out there, now famous, of some idiot named Grebner something or other putting a .45" hole in his leg. Pretty sure his 1911 had a safety, too.

hghlndr85
09-22-11, 20:34
i agree im many ways, if i was a leo i wouldnt want a safety. but its a ccw gun and will be with me alot and i feel the manual safety would add a little mental comfort,however i do realize that its about good,smart gun practice. and yes there are thousands of "gun slingers" out there with guns with safetys that put holes in their own bodies. they simply lack the extra matter in the head:)

Nephrology
09-22-11, 21:20
i agree im many ways, if i was a leo i wouldnt want a safety. but its a ccw gun and will be with me alot and i feel the manual safety would add a little mental comfort,however i do realize that its about good,smart gun practice. and yes there are thousands of "gun slingers" out there with guns with safetys that put holes in their own bodies. they simply lack the extra matter in the head:)

There's nothing wrong with wanting that reassurance. Look into the M&Ps then. You can always remove the safety if you decide you don't want it later and they are well priced and nigh invincible. I know plenty of people that have nothing but good things to say about them.

Doxiedad
10-05-11, 05:18
For me it'd be the Glock 19 if you're gonna go 9mm.

Tommato
10-05-11, 06:56
M&P 9c or SR9c - both great guns and very good shooters for most.

Tommato

shua713
10-05-11, 08:24
I personally would look into the sig sauer, they offer some really good guns. They are a little more pricey then some of your options but you get what you pay for.

DocGKR
10-05-11, 11:09
No. You used to get what you paid for with Sig, but not anymore. I personally would not want to rely on a Sig made in the past 5 years or so...

F-Trooper05
10-05-11, 16:43
:lol:
I personally would look into the sig sauer, they offer some really good guns. They are a little more pricey then some of your options but you get what you pay for.

:lol:

CoryCop25
10-05-11, 20:26
Lack of the use of the search button has been the proponent of misinformation here lately.

Tomac
10-06-11, 07:02
As posted earlier, try as many different pistols as possible to find what best suits your particular needs and budget.
With that being said, another vote for the M&P9c. Interchangeable backstraps to semi-customize the grip, thumb safety (which I prefer, having cut my teeth on 1911's) and APEX parts for a superb trigger.
Yes, a double-stack 9mm is thicker and slighter harder to conceal but I prefer a 12rd mag to 6 or 7rd mag (YMMV).
Effective loads are available in 9mm and practice ammo is very affordable.
HTH...
Tomac

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/RotationofResizeofSWMP9Compacts002.jpg

Wiggity
10-06-11, 08:16
Glock 19.

Training before even purchasing your first handgun? I fired my first firearm at age 3 and have been shooting ever since. I have NEVER even heard of anyone who has bought training (with the exception of basic pistol which OP has already taken) before purchasing a handgun. That's like taking "tactical driving lessons" before you buy a car. Just get one and shoot it.