PDA

View Full Version : EMT pen light recommendations please

reiswigt
09-21-11, 01:29
I decided to act on a long standing desire and started the EMT-B class. I need to buy a pen light and would like to hear what works for you and what you would recommend. I see that StreamLight has a couple, with the ProTac EMS looking like one of their better options. I had hoped to find something along the lines of SureFire or equal. I'd rather buy once and not have to buy again because the first choice was not up to the abuse.
Thanks in advance for all your helpful advice.

Ouroborous
09-21-11, 02:48
Congrats on deciding to get your EMT. The streamlight will work but I suggest also you take a look at 4sevens/quark pen lights if that's what you're set on. You can use any old light for assessing pupils for PERRL in fact it's better to have a light that'll go down to 20 lumens or so for that particular application-the pt won't appreciate being blinded by a 230 lumen light when all you needed to do was a quick pass with a soft light.

Good luck and start practicing those trauma and medical assessments now.

Mikey
09-21-11, 08:42
The Streamlight Stylus Pro is a great light that is bright enough to be useful without burning corneas.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=133

Mike

Jake'sDad
09-22-11, 00:48
The Streamlight Stylus Pro is a great light that is bright enough to be useful without burning corneas.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=133

Mike

Another vote for that.

reiswigt
09-24-11, 19:20
Thanks for the advice everyone.

... in fact it's better to have a light that'll go down to 20 lumens or so for that particular application-the pt won't appreciate being blinded by a 230 lumen light when all you needed to do was a quick pass with a soft light.

Ya, I knew I didn't want a super bright light. I have this ability to break/destroy most things, so I want to get a high quality light. It seems like when more expensive things last, they end up being cheaper in the end, and they work when you need them.

Ouroborous
09-25-11, 03:30
I hear ya. In that case I think the stylus is up to the challenge. The price is right to boot.

MIKE G
10-13-11, 14:22
I use a photon coin light and put it on my stethoscope, also have one on my keys. Small and lightweight, also I can walk into walmart or most drug stores and get batteries unlike the stylus. ETA: apparently the stylus PRO uses AAA but the original stylus that I used years ago used AAAA, so batteries were special order.

ray0351
10-13-11, 17:18
Im partial to a small pen sized maglite. Too strong of a beam can reflect off bodily fluids of the pt.

Jake'sDad
10-13-11, 22:55
I use a photon coin light and put it on my stethoscope, also have one on my keys. Small and lightweight, also I can walk into walmart or most drug stores and get batteries unlike the stylus. ETA: apparently the stylus PRO uses AAA but the original stylus that I used years ago used AAAA, so batteries were special order.

You're right, the original was a problem for batteries. They apparently figured that out.

brit
10-13-11, 23:37
Get one that you won't cry over when you lose it. Penlights are kind of like trauma shears, they magically turn into nitrile gloves once they reach the confines of your pockets. :laugh:

jdgiii
10-21-11, 02:04
Follow Mike G's advice and buy an inexpensive light you can attach to your stethoscope or a retractible lanyard clipped to your shirt/jacket. One that won't be a big deal when you lose it. Put your money into a quality stethoscope.

WS6
11-04-11, 10:38
Either go incandescent, or get a high CRI 4000K or so warm-tint LED.

Regular "cold" LED's suck at detecting body fluids. I vote incandescent for this, and I am an LED fan.

WS6
11-04-11, 10:39
Follow Mike G's advice and buy an inexpensive light you can attach to your stethoscope or a retractible lanyard clipped to your shirt/jacket. One that won't be a big deal when you lose it. Put your money into a quality stethoscope.

+1

I use a Litman cardiology stethoscope and once I borrowed a co-workers generic $20 scope it all made sense. I was used to hearing SO MUCH, and with the other, well, not so good. Like comparing a land-line phone to 2 cups and a string.

WS6
11-04-11, 10:41
Get one that you won't cry over when you lose it. Penlights are kind of like trauma shears, they magically turn into nitrile gloves once they reach the confines of your pockets. :laugh:

+1.

You have a wonderful way of getting blood all over things I have found. Pen-lights are no exception. I usually use the one's given out by various reps. Free, disposable, adequate. I'm not looking for a wounded deer. Then again, I am not an EMT. I am in a hospital, but many times I need to do things in the dark or wake the patient up. Many patients I deal with are not in their right mindset, and I would rather just be as unobtrusive as possible once I get them bedded down.

reiswigt
11-05-11, 00:31
On the advice here and from my ER friends, I bought a good stethoscope, and inexpensive BP cuff and a cheap pen light.

I'm loving class. I should have studied this hard when I was in college 20 years ago. A little biology in high school or college would have made this a little easier! Looking forward to mid December when I'll take the NREMT and get to enjoy sleeping again.

Thanks again for all of the good advice.

medicman816
11-05-11, 18:53
+1 for the go cheap crowd. A 6 pack from a medical supply store will do nicely. They have a habit of "walking away." I also agree with the dimmer is better replies. As someone whose pupils are very sensitive to light, i can guarantee that i will be swinging at the first person who shines a 50+ CP light into my eyes. I may get some flack for this but here goes: a penlight can be done without. In almost every scenario the same thing can be accomplished by covering the eye in question for a few seconds and observing it when the cover is removed. Basically I guess what I am saying is, don't put a lot of thought into this. And definitely dont waste money on a "good" penlight. Now a good stethoscope is worth its weight in gold. At a minimum a littman cardiology II. Put your name on it and write down the serial number. You will not regret it.

mkmckinley
12-02-11, 09:23
I'd just get the cheap disposable ones too, and that's coming from a huge flashlight nerd. I've never had to pay for them, they get handed out all the time and there are usually a bunch in the supply room. I've never had one run out of batteries, they get lost or dirty/thrown away before then. I've also never had one that's not bright enough for medical tasks. In my experience the bluish tint of cheap, small LED lights isn't as good as the cheapo penlights for the things you'll be using it for. I've used the cheapo incandescent Pelican brand lights that come in certain kits and they work ok, although the battery connections can get messed up. They're pretty low quality but have decent water resistance.

If you want a ice, cheap, small light with a decent tint look and the 4sevens.com brand of lights get one with a "warm" tint.

blackthisout
12-02-11, 09:52
On the advice here and from my ER friends, I bought a good stethoscope, and inexpensive BP cuff and a cheap pen light.

I'm loving class. I should have studied this hard when I was in college 20 years ago. A little biology in high school or college would have made this a little easier! Looking forward to mid December when I'll take the NREMT and get to enjoy sleeping again.

Thanks again for all of the good advice.

What stethoscope did you get?

35percent
12-02-11, 10:26
Another good option for a small light is a photon micro , i used to keep one on my badge/id card so I would always have a small light with me, just don't ever take it off.

reiswigt
12-02-11, 10:41
What stethoscope did you get?

I purchased the Littmann Classic II S.E. black edition. I had it engraved with my name and phone number.

I have several of the Photon lights, but they are really bright. I sure would not want them in my eyes, but they are good to have around.

We had our written final last night, now two nights of practical finals and the class is over! Next up, NREMT exam!

Ouroborous
12-03-11, 00:38
Good luck on your finals man. Let us know when you get that NREMT card!

citizensoldier16
12-04-11, 19:26
Buy a pack of 5 disposable ones for about $5 and be done with it. You're guaranteed to loose all of them within a year.

Skang
12-04-11, 22:14
Maxxeon Pocket Floodlight

reiswigt
12-19-11, 14:32
So I sat for the NREMTB Friday. I felt OK as the test was proceeding, but not great. Then it shut off at 70 questions. I'm thinking "I wished it would have gone longer!" After a very long and apprehensive weekend, I received my notice that I passed!

Card should be in the mail before Christmas!

Thanks again for all the good advice!

Ouroborous
12-19-11, 18:48
Congrats man!