PDA

View Full Version : KAC RAS M4 install

SperlingPE
11-12-07, 22:30
Will the RAS work on a Colt HB barrel?
If yes, what am I doing wrong?

ddemis
11-13-07, 02:51
I never tried to mount the KAC rail on a colt HBAR rifle but I do know they use a different dimensioned hand guard cap on their rifles.This could be your problem,contact KAC by phone they will gladly help you out.

markm
11-13-07, 07:07
Yes it will.

LotBoy runs one on his Colt 6721. (1/9 Hbar)

supertac
11-13-07, 09:10
It's easier if you have 2 people installing it. One person to pull the stupid delta ring back and one to install rail.

Make sure to loosen the top allen screw all the way before attempting to install.

Robb Jensen
11-13-07, 09:12
It's easier if you have 2 people installing it. One person to pull the stupid delta ring back and one to install rail.

Make sure to loosen the top allen screw all the way before attempting to install.

Or use a handguard tool. ;)

supertac
11-13-07, 09:21
Or use a handguard tool. ;)

Yeah, yeah... if you don't have any friends.

(My handguard tool is en route from Bravo Company as we speak);)

SperlingPE
11-16-07, 08:28
Still not going on.
I found some directions on line.
So I am confident that I have everything lined up correctly.
I removed the locking screw.
It appears that the RAS top half is wider than the delta ring.
This is going on a Colt 6920 upper with HB barrel.
Could this be the problem?

markm
11-16-07, 08:31
Compare your Top RAS piece to the OEM handguard. I'd be really suprised if they RAS had a spec issue.

Mike729
11-16-07, 09:01
Sperling, are you having problems with the rear part of the RAS, as in the locking claw with the screw at the end closest to the receiver not going all the way in without the leafspring at the front sticking out?

It's hard to explain but if this is the problem you're having you'll know what I'm talking about.

SperlingPE
11-16-07, 11:21
Mike 729
that is close to what is happening
the front leaf spring is under the front cap
the claw is dropped down
I may not be getting claw under the barrel nut which might be causing the problem with completing the install
[I secured some instructions on line]
One last try.

I will also compare the rear of the RAS with the OEM handguard

markm
11-16-07, 11:24
I bet the tensioner (claw) isn't quite getting into position over the gas tube.

KevinB
11-16-07, 15:09
It will fit - just need wiggle it in..

Mike729
11-16-07, 15:50
Ensure the tip of the leaf spring is under the front handguard cap, the gas tube is aligned in between each of the claws in the rear of the KAC handguard and that the screw is on but at the point where it just holds the claws in place and guides them between the gas tube, make sure the claws are guided INTO the right space and fall in between the teeth in the barrel nut, then tighten the screw some - then - *gently and safely* tap the top of the KAC rail itself with a small rubber mallet. I actually had to do that to get one of them them to fit properly on a 6933, and tried 2 sets, and on different AR's.

It worked for me but then again, I know jack about this stuff....so I defer to the experts and you're probably better off trying their tricks first. I'll be happy to post pics if you think it'll help.

Tacteam369
11-28-09, 10:03
I would like to say "Thank You" for the directions on the installation of my rail system. I worked on this for hours last night and at 0200 hours, I found these instructions and had it on in minutes. Thanks again.