PDA

View Full Version : Duty Holster?

huntswithweim
09-21-11, 23:18
The Dept. I work in has decided to replace our duty belts. Going from the nylon to a smooth leather type with a plain finish. We get to pick the holster you want to use as long as the finish is close. There is no requirement of retention level. The problem is I am currently using a Bianchi 7930; it has the thumb break snap and a thumb lever. I love this holster, but is has been discontinued. The Chief likes the Blackhawk Serpa level 2, but I am not crazy about having the retention lever on the open side of the holster. I am looking at Safariland 6360 (which is a level 3) or the 6390 (they call it level 1) I think most would consider it a level 2. Both Safariland models have the ALS system which holds the gun in by the ejection port. I am just not crazy about the Safariland top strap is why I am considering the 6390. Just want some opinions on the Serpa or the Safariland models if you guys have any. My price limit is 130.00 so that doesn’t help either. I am not a member of the LEO forum so I apologize if this posted in the wrong spot. Thanks in advance.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6390

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6360

ZoomByU
09-21-11, 23:38
We are issued the 6360 and I liked it. I have a TLR-1 on my weapon now so I use the light compatible 6360, not sure if it's still called the 6360.

huntswithweim
09-21-11, 23:49
Is the transition from pushing the top strap down and forward to the thumb release fairly smooth. It just seems like it is fairly cluttered.

I think most of it Is in my head. I don’t want to have to switch holsters.

SGB
09-22-11, 01:00
Serpa's suck IMO. The 6360 is the holster to go to hands down.

rathos
09-22-11, 02:16
My department issues serpa level 2 holsters, which I quickly replaced with a level 3. They are pretty decent holsters, but I have used the ALS holsters in the past, the 6390 was the one I had with a light attached. It was a very fast holster, but during retention practice with folks that know how to disarm the holster they had issues getting my pistol out which was comforting. The 6360 also adds the SLS to it, which I am not a fan of.

I would not hesitate to carry a 6390 again, but if I was going to carry a blackhawk I would use nothing less then their level 3.

Hizzie
09-22-11, 08:22
I used the 6280 for several years and loved the rotating hood. Fast, simple and easy to reholster.

DocGKR
09-22-11, 10:13
Serpa's are substandard in every way and are a disaster waiting to happen. The release button is poorly positioned, the mechanism can jam up with debris locking the pistol in the holster, the holster can separate from the belt when stress is applied to it (eg. during DT training). Many trainers have banned them from their classes due to these defects.

The Safariland ALS and SLS are superior in every way.

PD Sgt.
09-22-11, 11:04
Is the transition from pushing the top strap down and forward to the thumb release fairly smooth. It just seems like it is fairly cluttered.

I think most of it Is in my head. I don’t want to have to switch holsters.

I sympathize, we went from the Safariland 070 Level III holsters (which I still think are the best retention holsters ever) to the 6360 a few years ago. If I could, I would still use the 070 (I don't think they are light compatible).

The transition was remarkably easy to the rotating top strap, I was surprised. Like any new holster, it takes a lot of practice off duty to make it mindless. My personal bias against the holster is my belief that a holster should be as free of mechanical devices as possible. Levers, pivots, and springs just add to the chance that something can break or go wrong, denying access to the weapon. I realize snaps fail too, but usually you can access the pistol if they do. I know of one officer who had a 6360 holster break at the strap in such a manner he was unable to draw the weapon.

I will say that I would still take the 6360 over the Serpa for the reasons mentioned above. While I use a Serpa for my Taser, I would not use one for a pistol.

Also, I would recommend leaving the hood/shield of the 6360 on the holster. I thought it was a bit goofy looking, but during retention scenarios we found it significantly easier to take the pistol away with the hood removed. almost every officer that had opted to remove them put them back on.

Nephrology
09-22-11, 11:54
as I am not LEO I have not much to add except that you should absolutely not get the SERPA, I have personally seen one lock up (and I am NOT a high speed type individual, so for it to have a problem given my limited experience means there is something wrong with them and it is not just statistical misfortune) and the only person I know who recommends them I only barely trust with a firearm.

huntswithweim
09-22-11, 16:03
Thanks for the heads up about the Serpa. I think I am gong with the 6390, thanks for the replys

Evan_O
09-24-11, 15:48
Let us know how you like it. I currently run the 6365 and have thought about switching to the 6390. I'm not sure why they're not rated the same as it appears the only difference is the rotating hood on the 6360 and the 6390 has the ALS guard. I suppose if the ALS portion broke and failed to lock the gun in place the rotating hood would act as a level of retention, keeping the gun from falling out... Lightfighter has a short thread about the 6390 holster with a link to a YouTube video you might want to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.45fmjoe
09-24-11, 16:40
I used the 6280 for several years and loved the rotating hood. Fast, simple and easy to reholster.

That's what my agency issues, and I'm not even allowed to change if I wanted to. You just have to watch the hood, it has a tendency to come forward during DT training.

titsonritz
09-24-11, 17:13
Serpas are shit:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82779

Personally if I were a LEO I’d go with the 6360 (or 6365 if you prefer a dropped holster) over a 6390 for the extra level of retention against a weapon snatch especially if using a Glock or other weapon without a manual safety. I find rotating the SLS and releasing the ALS mechanism while drawing to be very fast and intuitive. If for some reason the SLS hood gets damaged and jams up when your pistol is needed you can whip out your blade and cut the hood to free the weapon unlike a jammed mechanism on a Serpa which will require the destruction of the holster to reclaim your pistol.

KhanRad
09-24-11, 18:06
Been using the 6360 midride for several years now and I can't find a better alternative. Hoods, retention snaps, rockers, and Serpas suck from my experiences in some aspect. Carried them all at some point. The ALS system is the best thing to come along in a long time.

Hizzie
09-24-11, 20:48
That's what my agency issues, and I'm not even allowed to change if I wanted to. You just have to watch the hood, it has a tendency to come forward during DT training.

Get the bolt-on hood guard.

BIGUGLY
09-26-11, 15:13
Safariland, you cannot get a better duty holster.

JeffWard
09-27-11, 13:15
Does anyone have experience with the Blade-Tech Level III WRS?

Compared to the Safariland models?

Thanks,
Jeff

.45fmjoe
09-27-11, 15:48
Get the bolt-on hood guard.

I don't believe it is authorized, but I'll look. Thanks!

Hizzie
09-27-11, 18:22
I don't believe it is authorized, but I'll look. Thanks!

After 12yrs as a LEO I highly doubt anybody would notice. Just don't bolt a CB or OD hood guard on and make it look out of place. Just to be safe the first shift you try it, slip a pink pen into your shirt pocket to draw attention from your hip.

ZoomByU
09-27-11, 22:58
After 12yrs as a LEO I highly doubt anybody would notice. Just don't bolt a CB or OD hood guard on and make it look out of place. Just to be safe the first shift you try it, slip a pink pen into your shirt pocket to draw attention from your hip.

Haha hilarious, reminds me of something a few guys would pull at my station.