PDA

View Full Version : On Target v1.10 precision calculator...(free)

ALCOAR
09-22-11, 12:46
Hi gents, much like the thread I started asking members to submit their definition of what "semi auto precision" means to them if they planned on participating much within this sub forum, I would like to now see members download and utilize a precision calculator if they plan on ever posting group pictures within this sub forum. This should help make our semi auto precision sub forum more scientific and professional in nature. Groups are meaningless if one can't interpret the results or measurements of them...without a measurement they are just holes in a piece of paper. Obviously this is only a request, not a requirement.

It doesn't take very long at all to understand how to correctly use this software and it's not gonna cost you a dime to utilize it.

Free Download...

DL page:
http://www.ontargetshooting.com/download1.html

Direct link to DL:
http://www.ontargetshooting.com/OnTarget-setup110.exe

TiroFijo
09-22-11, 13:06
Thanks! :)

Kchen986
09-22-11, 13:09
Hi gents, much like the thread I started asking members to submit their definition of what "semi auto precision" means to them if they planned on participating much within this sub forum, I would like to now see members download and utilize a precision calculator if they plan on ever posting group pictures within this sub forum. This should help make our semi auto precision sub forum more scientific and professional in nature.

Thanks. I've found that I need to photograph my groups with a ruler in order to properly calibrate the calculator. Anyway, thanks for the link!

P2000
09-22-11, 16:25
I agree. The calculator is awesome, free and should be used, along with 10 shot group(s).

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82297

liquidsniper
09-23-11, 12:14
Thank you Trident! Very well done and now I don't have to take a ruler or eyeball it and go hmmmm.

OTO27
09-23-11, 13:20
I have been doing the whole shoot and see method the Mil/Police trained me to do for years and although its worked for the most part I am still open for new things. So I downloaded the software and tried it on an old target I had. I inputed all the info it asked me, (I think) and the groups dont really match my ruler that well. Is there any input I missed? Heres what I entered:

Target distance:
Hole Size:
Ploted 10 holes:

I know I have to be missing something like target size and what not, so where does this info go?

ALCOAR
09-23-11, 14:12
ETA...I'm just gonna replace my step by step directions and pictures w. this much cleaner DEMO VIDEO....

http://www.ontargetshooting.com/videos/ontargetdemo2.html

stmcelroy
09-26-11, 00:28
Any programs available for use on a MAC?

ALCOAR
09-26-11, 00:48
The OnTarget Mac package Requires an Intel™ Processor, it will not run on older PowerPC Macs. Additionally, OnTarget uses WINE to interpret Windows-native code into something that Mac OS X can run; WINE requires X11 to run (a cross-platform windowing system distributed with OS X). Below are instructions to install X11 for use with OnTarget.

Installing OnTarget-Mac under Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard); X11 Comes Preinstalled.
http://www.ontargetshooting.com/OnTarget-Mac.dmg

Installing OnTarget-Mac under OS X 10.5 (Leopard); You must install X11 first...

1 Insert your Mac OS X Install disc. (If you have two discs it will be the Install Disc 1).

2 In the window that pops up double click on Optional Installs (You may need to scroll down).

3 In the new window that pops up double click on Optional Installs.mpkg.

4 In the installation window click Continue.

5 Read through the License Agreement and choose Continue if you agree.

6 Click the triangle next to Applications in order to expand the directory.

7 Put a check in X11.

8 Click Continue.

9 Click Install.

10 Wait for the installation to complete and then click Close when it is complete.

11 Download OnTarget v1.10 for Mac.(the first link I posted above)

12 Install OnTarget-Mac.

13 Run OnTarget.

stmcelroy
09-26-11, 09:45
Thanks, just found it this morning.

Can't wait to get it installed and working.

stmcelroy
09-26-11, 12:56
Sweet finally got it figured out.

First 10 shot group with my 6.8spc Noveske Recon with surplus Midsouth 110gr BTHP's. Not to bad considering I let the cross hairs settle back on the target and fired right away. 10 shots probably took no more than 45-60 seconds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/300BLK/TgtGfx5.jpg

ALCOAR
09-26-11, 13:14
Great shooting, especially considering the rate of fire as I imagine those 3 outliers were either shooter error or excessive barrel heating causing the POI to slightly change.

If you shoot a bunch of thin type paper targets, I've found that taping them to a piece of cardboard should help define the bullet holes making your job easier when calculating the group.

stmcelroy
09-26-11, 14:46
Great shooting, especially considering the rate of fire as I imagine those 3 outliers were either shooter error or excessive barrel heating causing the POI to slightly change.

If you shoot a bunch of thin type paper targets, I've found that taping them to a piece of cardboard should help define the bullet holes making your job easier when calculating the group.

Thanks. This was the second group of 10 fired in short order.

The biggest issue with the target yesterday was the torrential down pour that I was shooting in. I'll try taping them to cardboard this weekend, going to shoot this load out to 300 yards.

ALCOAR
09-26-11, 16:34
After hearing that it was your second consecutive group and seeing that those three outliers are all to the right of your target leads me to strongly believe that you experienced POI shift due to excessive barrel heat. That's pretty neat to see.

eta...upon further thinking and realizing how controversially this topic is, I removed my added commentary as to not derail this thread:)

mkmckinley
09-27-11, 09:47
Thanks, I've been looking for a decent free calculator like this and this looks pretty good. Does anyone know of a free program that does ballistic truing based on DOPE?

ra2bach
11-17-11, 13:13
does anyone know if this free version is available for the Iphone? I can't find it...

ALCOAR
11-17-11, 13:40
I'm pretty sure there isn't one but maybe someone else knows of an App for another precision calculator.

dhrith
12-14-11, 22:37
Slick damn looking job man, thanks.

Only looked at it for 10 seconds or so, so take my first quick suggestion or impression with a grain of salt, but I like to put things down as they pop into my head or I ..."forget" ;p

Have you contemplated any further development?
If so, how about some load info input areas to associate with the groups/pic's so it could all be stored and analyzed from one folder of stored data. Sorry if I'm off base or someone else thought about it, I need to hit the sack quick and can't pour through all of it right now.

Thanks again for the work and offer of use.

Just proof read my post and the OP and realized it doesn't clearly state if that's yours or not. If it isn't disregard and I'll forward this to the site owner. thanks

P2000
12-15-11, 10:34
Slick damn looking job man, thanks.

Only looked at it for 10 seconds or so, so take my first quick suggestion or impression with a grain of salt, but I like to put things down as they pop into my head or I ..."forget" ;p

Have you contemplated any further development?
If so, how about some load info input areas to associate with the groups/pic's so it could all be stored and analyzed from one folder of stored data. Sorry if I'm off base or someone else thought about it, I need to hit the sack quick and can't pour through all of it right now.

Thanks again for the work and offer of use.

Just proof read my post and the OP and realized it doesn't clearly state if that's yours or not. If it isn't disregard and I'll forward this to the site owner. thanks

The images with the data can be saved to your home computer and organized however you like.

dhrith
12-16-11, 21:49
The images with the data can be saved to your home computer and organized however you like.

Yes, but you miss, quite possibly due to my wording, my intent.
What I'd like to see is a third tab which could contain load data for each jpg being worked on, Lets say I work a load for a 260 and 3 years later get a 6.5 creedmore I could look at what I went through and glean some places to start and which directions to move instead of working it all over from scratch for example. I don't have a lot of precision work experience so perhaps I'm off base with my "theoretical" potential. ;p

..... and perhaps some other data mining capability.
In folder "308" list all loads sequentially from smallest groupings to largest then cross reference for distance,
possibly even another tab for gun data, manufacturer, barrel length, twist rate etc etc Not just as "notes" but as input data so it could be worked over.

Anal retentive perhaps. Sorry, ex-intel analyst ;p
You could make one hell of a database with what I surmise is not a significant further amount of work.

I "dabble" with word and excel but it would take me a good bit of time to redo something like this with my "extras".

ALCOAR
12-16-11, 22:28
Hey brother, sorry it's not my brainchild but I thought I would share it with my friends on M4C and help bring a little more scientific approach to our discussions regarding precision based ARs.

Let me know what the program inventor has to say if you get and reply and have the time to post up the answer:)