PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on the UBR

Hammer75
09-22-11, 15:01
Please, someone sell me on the UBR. As it is right now, the UBR is too expensive and the old lady is throwing a fit. Can someone sell me on it, so I can sell her on it to get her to relax a little. :sarcastic:. What make it better than, say, the CTR stock? I know there is a search option but I can't find a comparison between the 2 directly.

Thanks for the help

wahoo95
09-22-11, 15:55
Nothing makes it better....its just different. Its heavier so some guys like it to balance out a front heavy carbine. Other than that its personal preference. I'd rather spend my money on something else. I run CTR's and MOE's.

glockeyed
09-22-11, 16:24
i can quit ripping out my facial hair.

seriously though
i found a used one, the wallet doesn't scream as loud.

Failure2Stop
09-22-11, 19:33
With the A5 system and the EMod, IMod, and ACR, I see no reason to recommend the UBR over one of those combinations.
The UBR is a good stock for a heavy front-end gun, but I can't say that it is all that much better for my uses.

Abraxas
09-22-11, 19:36
With the A5 system and the EMod, IMod, and ACR, I see no reason to recommend the UBR over one of those combinations.
The UBR is a good stock for a heavy front-end gun, but I can't say that it is all that much better for my uses.

Oh what a different tune this is than it once was;)

ForTehNguyen
09-22-11, 19:38
balances well on 20" and HBAR setups, but for a 16 govt I would rather use an ACS

Failure2Stop
09-22-11, 20:03
Oh what a different tune this is than it once was;)

Ha, I still have one on my game gun and it isn't going anywhere soon. It just isn't the step beyond it once was. Not a hit on the UBR, but rather a nod to the A5.

SomeOtherGuy
09-22-11, 20:31
It's very heavy, very expensive, and locks up very solid. That's 99% of its features.

I have two, which I bought when DSG had their "going green sale" and they were only $199. I like them, but they are very heavy and I don't see myself buying any more. If they could remove literally half the weight they would be one of the best adjustable stocks, but at current weight they are just too heavy for any sort of light, handy carbine setup.

The ease of adjustment and the preset feature is very nice, and I like that they include two QD swivel cups.

dorton
09-22-11, 20:38
I like it for a consistant cheek weld no matter what length the stock is at. It definately balances my rifle out well, but all in all, my rifle is not light weight by any means.
The harris bipod is on a Larue mount, and is off the gun for 99% of the time.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6198/6067544838_dd96551f30_z.jpg

TehLlama
09-22-11, 23:23
On a nose-heavy rifle, the added weight isn't an issue. Still a pig of a stock, but its principal advantages are that it gives you the same cheekweld regardless of extension (great with ACOGs given their often limited eye position). Very solidly built, I'm still extremely happy with the four I have, but I'm paring down my use of them to only my heavier rifles, or those equipped with TA31's.

Surf
09-23-11, 00:14
I have 2 of them. One on an SPR and one on a billet build. As mentioned they are built like a tank but heavy like one also. I like them, but I really don't hump those 2 weapons around much anyway. If I am lugging around a rifle for long periods of time I am not so concerned about balance because IMO weight is weight as I am not holding the rifle extended for long periods of time anyway. So for myself, I don't see myself buying another one in the future, or using one for one of my primary type rifles.

Scoby
09-23-11, 04:23
I have 2 of them. One on an SPR and one on a billet build. As mentioned they are built like a tank but heavy like one also. I like them, but I really don't hump those 2 weapons around much anyway. If I am lugging around a rifle for long periods of time I am not so concerned about balance because IMO weight is weight as I am not holding the rifle extended for long periods of time anyway. So for myself, I don't see myself buying another one in the future, or using one for one of my primary type rifles.

I agree. It's a terrific stock but heavy. I wouldn't put one on a light carbine setup.

I love it on my Noveske Recce though.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/NoveskeN415x5.jpg

SomeOtherGuy
09-23-11, 08:49
I didn't mention cheekweld because I find that the longer-bodied telestocks like the SOPMOD do just as well for me - my cheek stays on the stock body and not on the buffer tube with all positions I use. YMMV of course, but with the extra-large telestocks like the Emod and Magpul ACS that would be true for almost anyone, I think. Of course with those stocks you are approaching both the weight and cost of the UBR, without the strong and slick proprietary adjustment mechanism.

40Arpent
09-23-11, 10:45
Why do you want to be sold on it? What makes you think you need one? What type of rifle is it going to be used on and what is that rifle's intended use?

lifebreath
09-23-11, 12:05
It's nice on a front-heavy gun. I have one with the strike plate, but only because I bought it on a rifle I bought from a friend. I would not choose it for most rifles, as it would make them butt heavy. I do like it very much on my home defense weapon to counter-balance the heavy light out front.

In general, I like the CTR. Unless you have a specific purpose, I don't see the UBR being worth the money and work required to install it.

http://www.lincolndiagnostics.com/public/doug/guns/BCM/photo-2s.jpg

st1650
09-23-11, 13:37
I wouldn't go with an UBR even to balance a front heavy setup. 3 years ago probably but not today. You can achieve much more with a Vltor A5 tube and the stock of your choice. It will have less recoil, more reliable on some setup, multitude of ambi rear plate sling mount (noveske, DD, etc), upgradable (if you change your upper to a lightweight 14.5 middy you can swap your emod/imod/acs/sopmod for a CTR or MOE) and it's a bit cheaper (got mine for less than 200$) and I swapped the Emod for Sopmod gen 2.

Watrdawg
09-23-11, 14:09
I was checking the weight difference between the 2 stocks and it looks like they are the same. VLTOR's site has the A5 weighing in at 1lb 10.7oz's. Magpul has the UBR weighing in at 1.63lbs. Exact same weight if my math is correct. UBR is definitely heavier that the CTR or MOE.

st1650
09-23-11, 14:10
I was checking the weight difference between the 2 stocks and it looks like they are the same. VLTOR's site has the A5 weighing in at 1lb 10.7oz's. Magpul has the UBR weighing in at 1.63lbs. Exact same weight if my math is correct. UBR is definitely heavier that the CTR or MOE.

Never said the A5+emod was lighter than the UBR, I said it's a better alternative if you want to balance a front heavy rifle than the UBR.

djegators
09-23-11, 14:14
I agree. It's a terrific stock but heavy. I wouldn't put one on a light carbine setup.

I love it on my Noveske Recce though.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/NoveskeN415x5.jpg

I agree on all points.

Now, why do we need to sell someone on a stock decision? Pick what you think will work for you, and see how it goes. The more you shoot, and the more you try stuff, you more you learn what works for you...and the more you realize you don't know.

Watrdawg
09-23-11, 14:15
st1650,

I'd ask why but I don't want to hijack the OP's thread. Not arguing I just don't know the info. To be honest I have not read much about the A5.

I do run the UBR on my 14.5" middy and yes the overall weight of the weapon is up there. I do like that fact that I have a consistant cheek weld and the stock itself is rock solid. Doesn't mean I am wed to it though.

Eurodriver
09-23-11, 14:21
I chose the UBR because my rifle was very front heavy already, even without the 17oz M4-2000.

Also, I have a TA31 ACOG, which is a bit finicky when it comes to eye relief.

http://i56.tinypic.com/9sc8yg.jpg

I used to have a CTR on this rifle and if I did not sell the upper that went along with the UBR originally (a Recce style rifle) I would have kept the CTR.

cop1211
09-23-11, 19:24
I have 4 that I use on 2 16 inch rifles, the other 2 I use with (2) 12.5 inch uppers, an 11.5, and a 10.5.

I love it, I use these for duty/SWAT. I'm not a "must be feather weight" guy, but I understand why some are.

I like it for the cheek weld, and its like a fixed stock, but also adjustablle, zero play or wiggle.

The VLTOR system, and a Sopmod have me interested, dont think the weight difference would be noticeable, wouldnt mind checking it out for the reasons that have been explained.

If you want the UBR go for it, you only live once, you can find them lightly used, pretty frequent here ,and over at ar15.com, buy your wife a pair of shoes, or a purse, she'll get over it.

BAC
09-24-11, 17:14
Pipe dream: maybe one day we'll see more people making stocks with UBR-style cheekwelds that don't weigh a ton, cost a ton, and can accept normal carbine REs.

-B