PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon or Elcan?

Whiskey-Tango
09-22-11, 15:16
Can't decide! I really like the Eotech MPO III because of the bullet drop compensation + versatility going 1x to 3x. I also really like the Aimpoint M4 and I was thinking of getting a 3x magnifier to tag team it. The Trijicons are just badass and there's no need for batteries, then theres the Elcan Spector that has an amazing glass and from what I hear are built like tanks but they are $$$!!! Any experienced help would be help appreciated.

hottnucks
09-22-11, 15:23
IMO the Aimpoint PRO is the best bang for the buck when it comes to optics. I can't tell you anything about the Elcan or Trijicon because I only own Aimpoint and EOtech. I have used a Trijicon Advanced Combat Reflex sights at work. I didn't really care for them, but that's what I was issued. The main issues were dim sights that you couldn't adjust and bad target acquisition (parallax issues).

rickp
09-22-11, 15:29
Get an Amipoint all the way. It's a great RDS that is prooven with no issues. I believe most will tell you the same. EOTechs have a history of failing with some models. They also turn off on their own after 8 hours I think. IMO that's a big no no.

Trijicons are nice. the one I'm familiar with that does not use batteries has a big dot orange that can't be controlled, meaning you can control the intensity. Again a no no in my book.
Not familiar with the Elcan.

Again you can't go worng with Aimpoint, any of them.

SteadyUp
09-22-11, 15:32
What are you going to be doing with your carbine? Your mission should drive your gear choices.

That said, for ~200 yds or less, an Aimpoint would be an excellent choice. EOTechs are fine and dandy, but after using them both, I definitely will choose Aimpoint from here on out. From battery life, to durability, Aimpoint wins hands down.

fixit69
09-22-11, 15:42
I'm saving for a Spector. Got to play with one. Awesome. But if money is a big issue, Aimpoint, or trijicon. Have not used EOtech.

Just remember, usually, nothing good is cheap.

Javelin
09-22-11, 16:07
I have all three. I like the Aimpoint for my duty Noveske SBR and I like the Trijicon Accupoint for my Noveske 300 Blackout SBR... and I like the EOTech on pretty much anything that requires fast on-target shots as the reticle is very accommodating for reflexive fire.

Ok all that being said (and I am unfortunately NOT an operator so take it for what it's worth) I would go with the Aimpoint M2/Pro for a good all-round performer. The battery life is what tips the scales in my eye.

:D

sgtjosh
09-22-11, 16:59
+1 on the Aimpoint PRO...$400 for quality RDS is hard to beat.

ccosby
09-22-11, 17:18
I can't speak on the Elcan as I haven't used one.

Personally I prefer the aimpoint over the eotech models after having both. As far as trijicon it depends on the models. Most of their scopes are designed for different roles then the aimpoint and eotech. Personally I liked the aimpoint over the trijicon reflex. I personally still have an accupoint on my ar-10 which I've been happy with so far. The acog is a nice optic as well.

As far as the eotech vs the aimpoint I preferred the dot on the aimpoint and like the better battery life. Also I've seen way too many eotechs fail in the past(older models where they had more problems but enough to really push me away from them).

Whiskey-Tango
09-22-11, 18:57
I can't speak on the Elcan as I haven't used one.

Personally I prefer the aimpoint over the eotech models after having both. As far as trijicon it depends on the models. Most of their scopes are designed for different roles then the aimpoint and eotech. Personally I liked the aimpoint over the trijicon reflex. I personally still have an accupoint on my ar-10 which I've been happy with so far. The acog is a nice optic as well.

As far as the eotech vs the aimpoint I preferred the dot on the aimpoint and like the better battery life. Also I've seen way too many eotechs fail in the past(older models where they had more problems but enough to really push me away from them).

how do you like that accupoint? i was reading about how they are the most "overlooked" optic on the market

mkmckinley
09-22-11, 19:18
It depends on what type of shooting you're going to be doing. I've used them all and for 99% of shooters I would recommend an Aimpoint of some flavor. The Patrol Optic or H-1 are two great choices. If you learn your holdovers you can engage a pretty good distance with just a RDS or even irons.

warpigM-4
09-22-11, 19:31
+1 For for the Aimpoint PRO .I love Mine:) Good size has 2MOA Red dot ,3 year Battery Life if left on constantly.
Comes ready to set on your rifle and go with flip up covers
Plus the Price is a Big Reason I bought it and I am 100% pleased and if I decide to dive 150 feet into the water Like a Uber cool Aqua Man it will still work:jester:

ccosby
09-22-11, 20:10
how do you like that accupoint? i was reading about how they are the most "overlooked" optic on the market

Not bad, I have the 3-9x one in a larue mount. It is a set it and forget it optic. It has screw on caps over the adjustments. I'd see it good for hunting animals where you are not going to be screwing with the settings of it in the field other then the zoom.

alaskacop
09-24-11, 00:57
I own an early EOTECH (557), Aimpoint ML3 and an Elcan Specter 1/4X and recommend both the Aimpoint and Elcan as optic systems. Both systems have been used on my patrol rifle for years (I started with the Elcan but switched to the Aimpoint w/3X magnifier last year). The reason for the switch was that I realized the Elcan is "too much" for what I need in a patrol rifle. The Elcan is now on my Noveske 3 gun rifle (and it has been very affective). Both systems are very very robust, realiable and have excellent warrantly service. Obviously the Elcan has more options in the glass and recticle but the Aimpoint can stay on for literly years without battery change or failing. However, the Elcan is far heavier and will cost you about 1K more than the Aimpoint (and that includes the magnifer with the Larue mounts). In short, if you dont plan on shooting much past 200 yards I would go with Aimpoint...

Nightgunner
09-24-11, 09:20
I have owned an Aimpoint Comp M2 and now have an EoTech 557. I have only one complaint about the EoTech, and that is the start-up time, unlike the Aimpoint it is not an "Instant on" when you push a button. But unlike the older Comp M2, the EoTech uses regular AA batteries.

My Advice, try to test them out if you know anyone who has them, and see what is more comfortable for you.

Dos Cylindros
09-24-11, 13:09
My vote is for any of the Aimpoint models, with the Pro being the best bang for the buck. Overall, I think the Comp M4/M4s is the best optic around. It is very robust, uses easy to find and cheap AA batteries and has a battery life of 8 years on setting 12 of 16. I have the M4s on my personal HD carbine but am forced to use the Eotech 512 on my duty carbine.

My agency has had nothing but trouble with the Eo's. They are fragile, have horrible battery life (when compared to Aimpoint), have battery connection issues after much use, and on a personal note, I hate the sight picture. Aimpoint, there is no other.

Hmac
09-24-11, 13:24
I think it's important to distinguish between the Eotech inline battery models vs. the transverse-battery XPS/EXPS models. There's a lot of battery-failure inertia out there (and here) on the internet from the contact issues on the 512's (which is what a lot of agencies bought because they're the cheapest). I've yet to see any convincing evidence that those issue persist in the newer models. Long battery life is a convenience but maybe a pointless one for many users.

OTOH, I do agree that the Aimpoint PRO is a nice, cost-effective optic. I have a T-1 which I really don't care for and gave me a negative impression of Aimpoint. The PRO is growing on me, however.

Lawdog-1
09-26-11, 21:41
Hmac, what did you find wrong with the Aimpoint T-1. I own 2- M2 and ML-3 and I love them and been thinking about going with the small T-1.

Hmac
09-26-11, 21:53
Hmac, what did you find wrong with the Aimpoint T-1. I own 2- M2 and ML-3 and I love them and been thinking about going with the small T-1.

Small tube, blobby 4 MOA dot, annoying internal reflections and annoying glare in many lighting conditions. The PRO is better than the T-1 in all those regards IMHO. The T-1's only advantage is size and weight, and that's just not enough for me to make up for what I perceive as its shortcomings.

Dave_M
09-26-11, 22:02
Why do these questions have to be fielded twice weekly?

lethal dose
09-26-11, 22:05
Personally, I like the aimpoint t/h/r-1 and the trijicon reflex sights. Some people will tell "horror stories" about trijicon reticle washout... most of which I would assume is either repeating internet hearsay or the intentionally looked for a way to lose the reticle (which I can do with an aimpoint, too). Truth be told, yes... they can washout, but not easily. To add... if you have any level of efficiency with the weapon the site will be utilized on and a properly equipped white light, cowit of your front sight through the optic is simple and effective. That said, aimpoint is still the big dog and is probably the most effective in most situations. That said, trij and a.p. are equally rugged. I won't comment on eotech until they up the ante and I know nothing of elcan aside from 2nd hand reports... seem to be overpriced euro optics.