PDA

View Full Version : New G19 qs:

Guns-up.50
09-22-11, 21:46
Just picked up a new g19 gen 3 today havent even shot it, This is the fourth glock i have owned my first g19 i have a few questions thanks in advance.

1. The slide has a different texture to it? not sure how to explain but it feels almost sticky or has more texture? Is this a new finish?

2. The 15 rnd mags make a rattleing sound when down loaded 1. I went and checked my g17 mags and nothing. Any thoughts?

3. I know the sights are junk and i will replace them anyways but the rear isnt even centered at all hell its almost hanging off the gun? WTF is glock droping the ball? even if they are slot fillers they could at least fit them

If you have any incite let me know im sure the gun will be fine I am taking it out this weekend so we shall see. Thanks again for your help

GermanSynergy
09-22-11, 22:10
Regarding the rattle in the mags. Ensure that they function properly when you take it out and shoot the weapon. I've had this happen with my Glock mags and it's never hindered reliability. YMMV

The finish is irrelevant as the slide/barrel are Tenifer treated, IMHO.

As for the sights, I'd shitcan them and replace with with something else. If you can't, you can drift the sight with a punch.

Code3Patriot
09-22-11, 22:20
Glock changed the treating process to the slides over a year ago. They went from the slicker, shinier finish to a duller more matte finish which is probably why you find it a bit more stickier. Like GermanSynergy stated, it's still Tennifer treated and thus, good to go.

DaveR
09-23-11, 17:28
Many Glock fans don't like the newer finish but I find it more durable.

Both these barrels have over 10K rounds thru them. The top one is the older finish.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/darock2/Gltech/26Barrel1.jpg

That magazine rattle is pretty common and nothing to worry about. Some rattle some don't.

I would suggest you replace the sights, at least the rear one. I like Glock factory steel sights.
http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-65mm-Rear-Sight-Steel/productinfo/G4197/

Dave

Long Tom Coffin
09-24-11, 01:15
Just picked up a new g19 gen 3 today havent even shot it, This is the fourth glock i have owned my first g19 i have a few questions thanks in advance.

1. The slide has a different texture to it? not sure how to explain but it feels almost sticky or has more texture? Is this a new finish?

The slide and barrels both have new matte grey finishes. It is on all Gen 4's (with some exceptions) and all recent model Gen 3's (ditto). The metal is still tenifer treated so the finish is a matter of pure cosmetics. That may matter to some people but I am a strict function over form kind of guy so I could care less. I have noticed, however, that while over 4500+ the new finish on the barrel has not worn as quickly, I have noticed that the finish on the slide wears MUCH more quickly on the contact points with my kydex holsters. After just a month there were small spots on the slide where the finish had worn off completely.

2. The 15 rnd mags make a rattleing sound when down loaded 1. I went and checked my g17 mags and nothing. Any thoughts?

This has happened with my mags, as well. Not all of them, though. It is more annoying than anything and doesn't seem to inhibit function at all. If a mag starts rattling inside the gun, I'll drop the mag, unload the first few bullets (maybe the first five or six), reload them to the mag, and the rattling always stops.

3. I know the sights are junk and i will replace them anyways but the rear isnt even centered at all hell its almost hanging off the gun? WTF is glock droping the ball? even if they are slot fillers they could at least fit them

I'd be quite happy if my stock sights were all "hanging off" the gun, because then I'd have a much easier time getting those pieces of shit off, and some real sights on.

From the looks of your posts, you don't have any real problems to speak of, at least none that aren't idiosyncratic to the gun. Go forth and shoot!

Lost River
09-24-11, 13:36
http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-65mm-Rear-Sight-Steel/productinfo/G4197/[/url]

Dave

Though I usually replace mine with tritiums, I actually like the sight picture of the Glock sights. If I had a gun that was simply going to be a range gun, I would likely just roll with the simple steel sights as noted above.

I find them rather quick for my eye to pick up and their simplicity of design appealing .

DaveR
09-24-11, 14:23
Lost River, I think most people would agree with you when it comes to night sights. I used them for may years myself.

I prefer the steel Glock factory sights even for home defense. I've trained quite a bit in my home with laser targets, and add to the fact that I know my house very well (I know the sounds the floor, doors and windows make) I feel confident without the night sights.

I'd add that I'm the only one in the house and have very good night vision. My approach probably wouldn't work if I lived with a house full of people.

If I'm on the street, even late at night, and need a pistol to defend myself, I doubt that sights of any sort will come into play.

That's just my approach. Wouldn't work for everyone.

Dave

F-Trooper05
09-24-11, 14:41
If I'm on the street, even late at night, and need a pistol to defend myself, I doubt that sights of any sort will come into play.

Huh??

.45fmjoe
09-24-11, 19:23
Huh??

I'm kind of lost there, as well.

Even when shooting qual at the 3 yard line under a really tight time limit, I still see the front sight post.

DaveR
09-24-11, 19:43
Sorry for the confusion.

Some of the training I've taken stressed drawing/firing with targets at 5' or rapidly approaching from 20'. Basically simulating a type of street assault scenario.

I had 3 seconds to get off two rounds and, although I may have subconsciously seen the front post, it was much more muscle memory and aligning the pistol with my arm and hand. These are one handed shots.

I really think that muscle memory is more important than looking for the front post in that kind of time frame. That's what was stressed by the instructor.

I think you should train for the type of scenarios that you anticipate in your area or for your daily situations, so this may not be something that would apply to everyone.

Dave

karmapolice
09-24-11, 19:59
the magazine rattle is from the spring being fully compressed and its the rounds on one side hitting each other, it is not a problem at all and happens in most all double stack magazines.

mikejg
09-25-11, 10:10
I purchased a new Gen3 19 last week. Through 250 rds I've had 6 failures to eject. It also ejects brass right in my face.

My older Gen3 19 has never had a problem a single malfunction.

Make sure your new 19 functions properly.

Guns-up.50
09-25-11, 22:32
I purchased a new Gen3 19 last week. Through 250 rds I've had 6 failures to eject. It also ejects brass right in my face.

I took it out yesterday shot well, shoots real low and right for now but my heinies should fix that.
Thanks gents for all the info

Iraqgunz
09-26-11, 00:02
And you have ruled out ammunition, operator error, etc..., right?

C4IGrant
09-26-11, 09:44
Sorry for the confusion.

Some of the training I've taken stressed drawing/firing with targets at 5' or rapidly approaching from 20'. Basically simulating a type of street assault scenario.

I had 3 seconds to get off two rounds and, although I may have subconsciously seen the front post, it was much more muscle memory and aligning the pistol with my arm and hand. These are one handed shots.

I really think that muscle memory is more important than looking for the front post in that kind of time frame. That's what was stressed by the instructor.

I think you should train for the type of scenarios that you anticipate in your area or for your daily situations, so this may not be something that would apply to everyone.

Dave

Which instructor taught you this???

C4

mikejg
09-26-11, 10:23
And you have ruled out ammunition, operator error, etc..., right?

For ammunition I used 200 WWB and 50 Speer Gold Dots. 1 failure with the Gold Dots and 5 with the WWB. Same ejection to face every few rounds with both. Never had an issue with either of these ammos with older Gen3 19 & 26.

RSAs are same # in New 19 and older 19, as are the ejectors. The extractor does look slightly different.

I'm thinking of putting the older 19's extractor in the new 19 and see if that does anything. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Littlelebowski
09-26-11, 10:37

Extractor and/or ejector. Call Glock.

mikejg
09-26-11, 10:56
Roger, thanks.

TriviaMonster
09-26-11, 12:05
9mm double stacks have a tendency to rattle due to several factors. The slight taper of the cartridge is one of the main culprits.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
09-26-11, 14:00
I would contact Glock because they need to know that these problems are real and not imaginary.

I would see about replacing the extractor with an older style.

For ammunition I used 200 WWB and 50 Speer Gold Dots. 1 failure with the Gold Dots and 5 with the WWB. Same ejection to face every few rounds with both. Never had an issue with either of these ammos with older Gen3 19 & 26.

RSAs are same # in New 19 and older 19, as are the ejectors. The extractor does look slightly different.

I'm thinking of putting the older 19's extractor in the new 19 and see if that does anything. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

josholdham
09-26-11, 14:54

If you have any incite let me know im sure the gun will be fine I am taking it out this weekend so we shall see. Thanks again for your help

Some Glock mags rattle, some don't. I've never had a problem with the either.