PDA

View Full Version : PCs and Outside Vests?

ZoomByU
09-23-11, 14:09
I am looking to purchase a place carrier soon but have a question about outside vests along with a PC. Currently my department we use concealable vests under our unforms but we will probably be going to outside vests soon. My question is does anyone use a PC along with an outside vest that has pockets? I wouldn't be concerned if the outside vest was like a uniform shirt but we will probably have some sort of pockets on the outside of them. Any comments or suggestions would help. Thanks

valdez545
09-24-11, 21:51
I am currently in a plainclothes gig but do wear issued armor during some assignments. My recommendation is to search for plate carriers with minimum padding.

I have a black TAG Banshee plate carrier that is perfect for wearing it on top of armor. I dont have anything on it other than rifle mags (everything else is on the belt). This carrier is very thin rides very well in conjunction to the issued armor.

I also have an Eagle PC in CB and while the quality is great the padding is very thick and feels very cumbersome while worn with the issued armor. I was unaware of the padding before the purchase and currently it sits in my garage.

Overall the TAG was the better choice and can't complaint; quality and price are very good. Other options can be the LBT Slick Plate carrier and the Mayflower R&C due to their minimal thickness. Make sure they have a drag strap (The new Banshee have dragstraps).

TehLlama
09-25-11, 01:24
Since it sounds like you'd already have the soft armor suite available, this is a case where a lot of the more affordable plate carriers (SKD/Eagle PIG PC, DBT FAPC, TYR PC) can really shine as additional armor when adding hard armor to an existing setup.

The improved padding kits for the Eagle MPC can help a fair bit (our issue SPC ones are okay, there are others from BFG/Tyr that are another step up), but moving to a revised shoulder strap sounds like a better plan if you're starting over from scratch on the carrier.

The MOLLE on the front can be extremely flexible, and most of them have the 'marsupial' type pouches in front where a trio of rifle magazines or similar sized items can be kept, leaving the PALS real estate above and in front usable for small handy items (place to clip radio, admin pouch for sundry items).
Drag strap and the ability to hold a hydration bladder are two items that are excellent added value.

SWATcop556
09-25-11, 07:15
Running a PC over an outer vest that has bulky pouches will be very cumbersome. Unless you are mandated by policy to use the pouches on the carrier I would keep it slick. I know the outer carriers with all of the "cool guy" pouches are the new "it thing" for patrol but they are somewhat impractical. If you throw a PC over those pouches you can't get to them anyways.

Or you could look at removing the soft armor carrier and throwing on a PC that has plates as well as soft armor inserts.

snake9761
09-25-11, 19:14
My department issues an outer carrier similar to what you are talking about. I personally think that all outer carriers look terrible but that is another matter all together, if you can stick with the inner vest, it will make your life easier in my humble opinion.

I have tried a Banshee PC, Eagle Assault Plate Carrier, Velocity Systems LWPC w/ Mayflower Gen IV chest rig attached and none of them have come close to a Crye JPC. The JPC is such a low profile design from the shoulder straps to the skeleton cumberbund that it rides very nicely over any sort of soft armor carrier. I wish that they would make it in black but for now Multicam will have to do.

Sean

ZoomByU
09-26-11, 15:57
I've been told our department is working with safariland to make the outside vest specifically for us. I'd like to keep it slick but who knows what the Dept will do, they often make decisions that don't make sense. I'm looking at the PIG PC, work a few more extra jobs and I'll be able to afford it and the plates. Thanks for the advise guys.

SWATcop556
09-27-11, 09:32
I've been told our department is working with safariland to make the outside vest specifically for us.
Safariland does make good gear so at least your Dept went with a proven manufacturer.

I'd like to keep it slick but who knows what the Dept will do, they often make decisions that don't make sense.
That's about par for the course with Admin. It seem that as soon as your remove yourself from the "working force" side of things in LE your head slowly (or sometimes immediately) migrates towards your ass.

I'm looking at the PIG PC, work a few more extra jobs and I'll be able to afford it and the plates. Thanks for the advise guys.
The PIG is hands down my favorite PC on the market right now. It's also setup well for LE work and is one of the quickest PCs out there to get on and off quickly. Already being set up for LE ID patches was a nice touch as well. If your Dept goes with a bulky outer carrier with a ton of bulky and useless pouches I would recommend the PIG with plates and soft armor to armor up after ditching the outer carrier.

ZoomByU
09-27-11, 14:54
I think they would go with a different cheaper manufacturer but safariland would not honor the warranty if we used their vests with another's carrier. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they do.