PDA

View Full Version : Is barrel tensioning a legit technique on precision rifles?

maximus83
09-23-11, 15:55
I have some custom work being done on a bolt gun, and among other things (because I want to lighten it a bit), the smith suggested either standard barrel fluting, or tensioning. He said he has used tensioning a lot and it has worked well, and some of his users on Snipershide, etc., confirm. Basically he'll reduce barrel mass and then wrap it in a rigid aluminum sleeve.

Has anybody tried a tensioned barrel and what was your experience?

orkan
09-23-11, 16:00
My only experience with tensioned barrels is with volquartsen rimfire stuff. They are lasers.

maximus83
09-23-11, 16:11
Yeah I should have added I have heard of the tensioning technique on rimfire barrels. For example, most of the lightweight "bull barrel" makers for the 10/22 (example: tactical solutions) use this technique to great effect.

I was curious how well tensioning works on larger centerfire barrels such as .308.

To clarify, the main motive here behind the tensioning (or fluting) is to lighten the overall weight and improve the rifle's balance, without hurting the accuracy. Currently I have a 24" barrel, thinking of having it cut to 20", threaded 5/8-24, and POSSIBLY tensioned or threaded.

orkan
09-23-11, 21:21
Do some research on christensen arms rifles. They kind of pioneered the carbon tensioned barrel for centerfires.

A friend of mine has one in 22-250, and its a shooter.