PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint/Eotech Magnifier

Hootiewho
11-13-07, 16:24
OK, don't flame me too bad for a out of the box idea here, but I got to thinking, which I probably shouldn't be doing. My only experience with the Aimpoint mag combo was at the silencertest shoot, when the surefire rep let my shoot a few rounds. Why not make a magnifier that has a little bit more magnification than 3 or 4 power, so that it can double as a pocket monocular? Say get one up to 7x or 8x? I know that the field of view would be small, but it already is pretty small with the current magnifiers. If the longer shots were required, you'd have a true midrange red dot sight, like a 1-8x or 1-6x scope. I know it would not be as quick, but seems like it would pay off in the distance department. Maybe even have a very faint ranging reticle in the magnifier for general purpose ranging or target referencing. Now I have not played with one of these enough to know if they magnify the dot a good bit, so I may be way off base, just asking for opinions or thoughts. Seems like a good midrange monocular that you could keep in your pocket and have it function as a way to extend the range of the Aimpoint/Eotech would fill a nitch.

dubb-1
11-13-07, 16:55
Above 6x is out of the realm of GP optics. If you need that much magnification, you better have a 16"+ barrel, and a Leupold MR/T or LRT. That niche you speak of, really doesn't exist. If you really need to make that extra long shot, you'll never get the the optic quality out of a separate magifier/optic combo, that you would out of a dedicated LR optic.

As current optics go, I think we are at a very significant plateau. The thingsI'd like to see progress are cost, reliability and reticles.