PDA

View Full Version : H&K Tactical Elite or Springfield Range Officer

newpenner
09-23-11, 18:51
I am looking to pick up a 45 for range use and home defense. I have a H&K usp 9mm i love. So going with another H&K seems a simple choice. I do like the feel of the Range Officer but feel the HK is alot more gun for about $100.00 more. I haven't found alot of reviews on the tactical elite or shot it. I have shot the Range officer and it's nice but hard to compare without shooting both.

ryan
09-23-11, 18:57
H&K at the 30, the 20 the 10, H&K could go all the way,,, Touchdown Auburn!!! Uh I mean H&K.

F-Trooper05
09-23-11, 19:42
Touchdown Auburn!!!

A phrase you won't hear much this season. :D

And yes, for "home defense" the HK wins and it's not even close.

ryan
09-23-11, 19:46
A phrase you won't hear much this season. :D

And yes, for "home defense" the HK wins and it's not even close.

YOU are a freakin sit down comedian, :D but I fear you are right. Sorry for the derail OP but between the 2, Springfield aint even close.

Howardsrock
09-23-11, 19:57
Go Tigers, Clemson that is...

My vote is for the H&K between the two, but honestly I would choose the FNP 45 Tactical over both. In fact, I did. I have a H&K 45c for carry, but the 15 round FNP for the range and home defense.

warpedcamshaft
09-23-11, 21:15
The Range Officer is a bit more of a competition gun than a defensive piece. The tolerances are pretty dang tight to provide maximum accuracy. Mind you, I have not shot the RO yet.

I think the H&K would be more rugged and may feed JHP's a bit better than the Range Officer.

Just a thought, I may be wrong.

St.Michael
09-24-11, 09:26
Hk USPs are awesome hands down.

ralph
09-24-11, 10:40
The Range Officer is a bit more of a competition gun than a defensive piece. The tolerances are pretty dang tight to provide maximum accuracy. Mind you, I have not shot the RO yet.

I think the H&K would be more rugged and may feed JHP's a bit better than the Range Officer.

Just a thought, I may be wrong.

Actually, You're quite right..The R.O. has all the trappings of a target-esq pistol..Not the best choice for a CCW/HD pistol IMO, Frankly, with the choices given by the OP, I'd forgo the HK tactical,and go with a HK45c, with a "light" LEM if possible,I myself shoot striker fired pistols better, but I can make do with a light LEM.Install your favorite NS on it and it's ready to go. The .45c is a very accurate,reliable pistol..The only other polymer framed, .45 cal pistol I'd consider would be a Mid sized M&P.45, with a Apex FSS set up with a #5 trigger pull. they are equally accurate, reliable.

ck1
09-24-11, 11:09
IMO if you're after the best trigger and maybe the gun you'll be able to tinker with and customize to your liking over time get the RO, it has no drawbacks beyond any other known 1911 issues, keep it lubed "wet" and find an SD HP round with a bullet profile it runs well with and you're all set.
Having owned many H&K's (including all mentioned in the thread thus far) the most honest thing I'd say is that if you're really thinking more tactical/combat pistol over target pistol you might want to look past the H&K offerings and pick up a Glock 21SF. Glock .45's, due to their unique hexagonal rifling are crazy accurate and easier to shoot for some reason for most than most other caliber Glocks.
I know it might sound like blasphemy to the H&K fans but the big Glock is really like a distilled and streamlined incarnation of what's good about the H&K's just simpler, and IMO better in many ways actually.

Though, for many, without "H&K" on the slide you're not a "real operator".

Nephrology
09-24-11, 11:52
I liked my G21 when I owned it. I'm not in the .45 game anymore but if I was I'd be looking at either that or the M&P .45 FS.

HKUSP.40
09-24-11, 13:54
I own 3 USP's..a .45 Tactical, .40 Full Size (On Duty), and .40 Compact (Off Duty).

I love HK so they get my vote.

deeHKman
09-24-11, 19:46
HK no contest. Glock makes a nice gun but it's far from a HK quality wise. No idea why Glock was brought up in a thread where it was not mentioned...:confused:

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-24-11, 19:51
Between the two HK. Especially for the purposes you mentioned. I would strongly suggest looking at the HK45 or HK45c. The HK45 if you are limiting it to range use and home defense since it has better light options than the 45c.

deeHKman
09-24-11, 20:02
Between the two HK. Especially for the purposes you mentioned. I would strongly suggest looking at the HK45 or HK45c. The HK45 if you are limiting it to range use and home defense since it has better light options than the 45c.

No doubt i have a HKc and a USPc .40 for carry. Plus my P30s 9mm. Never seen a HK but the grip is like a P30 that would be a great .45.. Plus i have 10 rd mags for my HKc for extra capacity as a spare mag or HD...:D