PDA

View Full Version : An electric carving knife, and too much time to kill

rob_s
11-13-07, 18:09
Finally got around to cutting out the foam. Not sure what, if any, practical use this has for me, but the damn case has been sitting around doing nothing for over a year. Tried to cut it so that it would fit either of my primary carbines, so there's some looseness with one that is filled with another, and vice versa.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DSC_1848mid.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DSC_1845mid.jpg

five13
11-14-07, 19:43
Looks good, is that the 1700 size?
I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a hard case, to replace my Blackhawk nylon. .

KDG
11-14-07, 19:52
Looks good, only thing missing is cuts outs for a few mags, and maybe a box or 2 of ammo.

Shihan
11-14-07, 19:55
It looks good, was it hard to do?

KLR_Redux
11-14-07, 20:00
How hard is the foam? Our subgun cases at work are very soft (about the consistency of the stuff you put in window crevices when installing an air conditioner). Yours looks a lot stiffer- is it a pelican case?

toddackerman
11-14-07, 20:02
Looks good Rob.

I always used the "Turkey Knife" on my foam as well. Problem was that I was always changing my kit, and I spent a fortune on new foam. i think I went through 3 different kits in 2 years swapping out ACOG's for EOTech's for Aimpoints, and various lasers.

I had a 1700 for 2 years, and finally got rid of it because I wanted a lighter "Grab and Go" case which ended up being a TAG that I am very happy with, but wish I could have gotten a I-shot, but no one had them. I also got rid of my Black Hawk soft case as well. I found that I had 3 identical rigs (Mags, Cleaning Kits, slings etc. in three different cases and the "KISS" principle set in.

I think the biggest advantage to having a hard case is in case you need to fly with your rifle. Then it's mandatory.

sonrider657
11-14-07, 21:56
Makes for a nice case!

So will there be little bits of foam in your Thanksgiving turkey this year? :p

supertac
11-14-07, 23:42
That looks a lot better than my Buck Knife foam job. :(

rob_s
11-15-07, 04:04
It was surprisingly easy to do. I did it sitting on the floor in front of the TV one morning before work. Having a large workspace about waist high would have made the whole thing a whole lot easier though.

Robb Jensen
11-15-07, 07:01
Looks real good. I haven't tried a carving knife but I hear it works damn good. I use a Benchmade fillet knife and a black Sharpie marker on the underside of the foam and then cut it (that way you don't see the markings) as long as I don't hack at the foam it'll come out nice.

Rob what kind of scope is that in your SPR mount?

rob_s
11-15-07, 07:30
Rob what kind of scope is that in your SPR mount?
One of these (http://www.swfa.com/pc-5445-208-leupold-3-9x40-european-30mm-riflescope.aspx). I just wanted something simple/inexpensive but 30mm to test POI shift with my suppressor and accuracy potential on a variety of rifles.

BushmasterFanBoy
11-15-07, 10:57
One of these (http://www.swfa.com/pc-5445-208-leupold-3-9x40-european-30mm-riflescope.aspx). I just wanted something simple/inexpensive but 30mm to test POI shift with my suppressor and accuracy potential on a variety of rifles.

That's a really good idea.
So, what were the results?
Does that LaRue mount really hold zero when you take it on and off? My LaRue mount seems to hold zero for my Aimpoint, but I rarely shoot for extreme accuracy with it and wouldn't be able to pick up the minute changes that may come from taking it on and off.

rob_s
11-15-07, 11:16
That's a really good idea.
So, what were the results?
Haven't gotten to try it yet. Need to have a whole day to really get out there and wring some things out. It's going to be time consuming.

Does that LaRue mount really hold zero when you take it on and off?
I don't know, but for my application it doesn't matter much to me. I'll mount it on one gun, zero and do my accuracy testing, mount it on another gun and zero and test that one, etc.

toddackerman
11-15-07, 11:18
Does that LaRue mount really hold zero when you take it on and off? My LaRue mount seems to hold zero for my Aimpoint, but I rarely shoot for extreme accuracy with it and wouldn't be able to pick up the minute changes that may come from taking it on and off.

This is a little Off Topic, but....

LaRue is the only QD mount that I have found that holds POI 100%, or as close as can be measured. You must insure however that it is adjusted properly. Mark LaRue has said that...."The mount should be "Difficult" to put on, and even "more difficult" to take off." Yes this does slow the process down of "QD", but that's a relative point. Also, whatever you're putting in/ on the LaRue mount needs to be secured and Loc Tighted. That's why they include Loc Tite with their mounts.

I learned all of this with various mounts I tried while running my Lasers where I needed 100% repeatability for precision shots. Everything else shifted from 1MOA to 4 MOA. The worst was ARMS. For flashlights, I don't think this is so critical, but if it is moving around, that means that you're going to get some "Wear" occurring either on the rail, on the mount, on the optic, the light, the laser, or all of the above. All are undesirable.

As far as Tactical Rifle optics go, I think there is a reason LaRue is so popular with the Sniper elites.

BushmasterFanBoy
11-15-07, 14:07
I don't know, but for my application it doesn't matter much to me. I'll mount it on one gun, zero and do my accuracy testing, mount it on another gun and zero and test that one, etc.

Yea, I got that from what you initially posted. I was simply curious as to how the mount would perform since you have the equipment to do a test like that and I have a LaRue mount, but no scope. However, someone else already posted their experiences and they seem to be positive I guess it is already done.

I'm also curious as to what extent the suppressor will affect POI. I would think it would be negligible, but I have only fired someone else's suppressor one time and wasn't doing any accuracy testing. I can't imagine there being much of a shift, even with some sort of mechanical rest taking out shooter error. But I don't know that much about suppressors. There is "awesome thread opportunity" written all over this. Good luck!

rob_s
11-15-07, 14:38
I'm also curious as to what extent the suppressor will affect POI. I would think it would be negligible, but I have only fired someone else's suppressor one time and wasn't doing any accuracy testing. I can't imagine there being much of a shift, even with some sort of mechanical rest taking out shooter error. But I don't know that much about suppressors. There is "awesome thread opportunity" written all over this. Good luck!

I don't know about "awesome"ness :cool: but you can read about my first attempt here (http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12554&highlight=)

intrepidagent
06-28-08, 20:17
Here's mine....just cut it this afternoon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/jtyurg/6920/DSC02932.jpg