PDA

View Full Version : Esstac KYWI Insert Compatibility

lamarbrog
09-24-11, 13:35
I've got a TAG Marine Gladiator chest rig, and found that I don't really like the bungee cords. I removed them, but the pouches are too loose for me to feel comfortable with the level of retention.

I remembered the KYWIs from some research a did a couple weeks ago, and thought maybe they'd be the solution. After some further digging it looks like they fasten to Velcro inside HSGI and Esstac magazine pouches.

My chest rig has no such Velcro- Will the insert work anyway? Is there an easy way to make it work?

Any other solutions that y'all've tried that work well?

Pax
09-25-11, 05:09
Couple options.

You can stitch Velcro in but it will be a bitch, you will have to do it by hand, you will have to buy decent bonded Nylon thread and and a needle and even if you did a fantastic job of it, it still wouldnt be as strong as the alternative since youre still relying on adhesive-backed patches of hook material stuck to the KYWI.

IMO the best course of action is to get some EssTac wedges and put KYWIs in them. It works. Its simple. Not ideal but it works.

Alternatively you can make your own Kydex inserts.

Molding Kydex is not at all difficult. I highly recommend that you get into it. For this type of application, (and many others), a foam molding press would not even be necessary. Just make sure youve got decent work gloves if youre going to hold onto it while it cools.

I recommend burning a hole through the bottom of the pouch, (Im not familiar with this pouch, if it doesnt have a bottom, like the EssTac Wedges, let me know), with a soldering iron. They can be had a RadioShack for a couple bucks. Get some 0.093" Kydex sheets from KnifeKits.com and cut and mold your Kydex to mimic the EssTac wedge, with a little extra space at the base. Stainless steel hardware from your local Home Depot can then be used to bolt your KYWI's base through the hole in the pouch after a hole is drilled in the base of the insert. Cut the excess threads with a cutting wheel, finish with a grinder or file. Viola. A flat washer with a locking washer on top of it provides some extra security while not digging into the fabric its bolted to. In my experience, achieving decent levels of retention has been difficult with the KYWI's design. I have considered other shapes which may apply more pressure to the mag without help from the pouch itself, but have not yet experimented with them.

Check out the "How to Make a Kydex Holster" thread on the gear board for all the info you need on Kydex molding.

lamarbrog
09-25-11, 12:39
I'm not really worried about the adhesive not working. If it was on the bottom, yes, but on the sides it ought to have plenty of resistance... I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting Esstac wedges and putting KYWIs in them.... The KYWIs are wedges.

This is a new chest rig, and it didn't come cheap- I'd really prefer not to be burning holes in it already.

Pax
09-25-11, 14:02
The adhesive on some of my KYWIs and double KYWIs has given out more than once and allowed the KYWI to be pulled from the pouch along with the mag. Didnt want to badmouth the product since I really like the design. But it does happen after time.

EssTac's MOLLE-compatible pouches that the the KYWIs can be mounted in are simply marketed as wedges or wedge mag pouches. I should have been more clear.

Maybe... If this is really that important to you, a new load-bearing product altogether may be what is called for.

Failure2Stop
09-25-11, 17:09
TAG's bungee is pretty thick and stiff.
I would just get some thinner/longer elastic to replace what the rig came with.
It's cheap, easy, and works.

HSGI even sells sets of them:
http://www.hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-BRK

lamarbrog
09-25-11, 21:16
New LBE isn't going to happen. Just spent $140 on this one- it's going to be the one for a while.

I don't really want bungees since they make it hard to reinsert a magazine. I might just try loading this rig up some more and see if that helps. I tightened it up a little and that made a big difference.

It's not going to be good enough that I can hang upside down- but as long as I can run and jump that'll be fine.

Failure2Stop
09-25-11, 23:50
New LBE isn't going to happen. Just spent $140 on this one- it's going to be the one for a while.

I don't really want bungees since they make it hard to reinsert a magazine. I might just try loading this rig up some more and see if that helps. I tightened it up a little and that made a big difference.

It's not going to be good enough that I can hang upside down- but as long as I can run and jump that'll be fine.

Seriously Dude, do you even read posts before you reply?

skd_tactical
09-26-11, 09:34
I use Gorilla Glue the KyWi's where the original glue has worn out. Same goes for the inside of my mag pouches that don't have the velcro already there to support a KyWi.
I generally use fabric glue or more gorilla glue to affix the velcro on the inside of the pouch. I then wrap one mag in plastic wrap or wax paper and insert it into the mag pouch (sometimes with other stuff to get a tight fight) to keep it in place until it dries. I can't sew and this works pretty well. It does require some maintenance with re-gluing from time to time.

SOS