PDA

View Full Version : rifle scope for my AR

tvfreakarms
09-25-11, 06:42
I've been looking to buy a scope for my AR15 (5.56). Any good suggestions for a decent scope? Again not looking to buy an expensive scope but i guess my price range would be under $300(closer to the low $200's).
In the past i thought about getting a red field, bushnell, nikon or if i got lucky and found a good deal on a leupold (3*9*40 or a higher zoom range) with the bdc. But because of budget strains i couldn't buy one at the time. But now i'm looking to buy one soon. One of the main reason i want to get a scope is because i'm getting a little tired bringing my spotting scope and tripod with me to the gun range all the time plus other crap i bring with me to the range gets a little cumbersome.
As of right now i'm only shooting out to 100yrds but as i get better i will be shooting further away. I plink but also working on my precision shooting skills as well.

anthony1
09-26-11, 03:21
Id save a little longer, for 200 the only recommendations I can give are the fixed 10x 3200 bushy and the swfa 2-7 viper special. The 2-7 would be alot more useful on an AR. Natchez has some nitrex 6-20x scopes, great buy made by LOW japan, rebadged weavers, huge though l wouldn't want one on a AR. I'd rather have a 1-4 for an AR or rds. Even so l have great vision and to see 22cal bullet holes l need 12x mag with good glass- the shittier the glass the more mag youll need to see those little holes.

Also bdc's are shit , a good range finding reticle is much better. Id save for a while and get somthing you want. I usually budget atleast the cost of the rifle for the scope, usually more.

NWPilgrim
09-26-11, 04:30
I don't think you will replace your spotting scope with a $250 scope. A 9x scope will see .308" holes at 100 yds easily. But it is near impossible to make out .22 holes. I would agree you need closer to 12x at 100 yds unless you have excellent eyesight. So a 3x9 would be plenty for shooting to 300 yds, but you won't be seeing the holes UNLESS you use those Caldwell Orange Peel or similar targets to make the hits appear larger.

I think Weaver and Redfield are pretty good for the under near $200 scopes. I have some old cheap Bushnell Banners that are still hunt worthy but not sure of their current quality/performance.

At $400 you can get a Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX-II or Mark AR, Nikon Monarch, and I think some Sightrons.

Be sure what you are getting it for. For dual purpose self defense and better shooting at longer range targets a 1-4x or may 2-7x scope would be better. But if you plan to use irons for SD (or not use the rifle for that) and just use the scope for the range then a 3-9x is probably the most you want to get, and upgrade the glass as your budget allows rather than magnification.

tvfreakarms
09-26-11, 04:50
what is a good decent range finding reticle scope?

I know the 4*16*40 is going to be pretty huge for my m4 carbine AR but i also plan on buying another rifle .308 later down the future and then I would most likely transfer that scope to the .308. That would be the one of the reasons i would want a large scope.

I may considered something more toward the upper $300 to $400 range if need be.

Id save a little longer, for 200 the only recommendations I can give are the fixed 10x 3200 bushy and the swfa 2-7 viper special. The 2-7 would be alot more useful on an AR. Natchez has some nitrex 6-20x scopes, great buy made by LOW japan, rebadged weavers, huge though l wouldn't want one on a AR. I'd rather have a 1-4 for an AR or rds. Even so l have great vision and to see 22cal bullet holes l need 12x mag with good glass- the shittier the glass the more mag youll need to see those little holes.

Also bdc's are shit , a good range finding reticle is much better. Id save for a while and get somthing you want. I usually budget atleast the cost of the rifle for the scope, usually more.

anthony1
09-27-11, 01:41
Maybe l should have explained a little more, a BDC reticle can work but it has to be calibrated for the exact load/rifle/atmosphric conditions etc for it to work as expected. A range finding reticle allows you to know the distance(if you know what your doing) of your target, you then either dial or hold over based on your dope (you still have to know your dope) The standard is the simple mildot, there are alot of newer versions of modified mildots/hash marks- every good scope company pretty much has their own version and their all pretty good.

If you dont care about size that nitrex scope l mentioned earlier is an amazing deal, its a LOW japan made scope (not some made in china pos) for 200$ at natchez. It wont have a mil reticle but its still an amazing scope for the $. For under 400 you should be able to find a vortex viper or bushy 4200 (also made by LOW japan )on sale with a stand second focal plane mildot. I really like my 4200 for the $ its a great scope. I see your already getting scope creep lol, my last budget started at 600 max, ended up with a 2k USO lol.

tvfreakarms
09-27-11, 01:52
WOW $2K? LOL i know i'm getting the scope creep as you say but for sure i will not go that high. Just can't afford it. Plus i plan on getting a pistol and a new rifle down the line.

Thanks for the info.

Maybe l should have explained a little more, a BDC reticle can work but it has to be calibrated for the exact load/rifle/atmosphric conditions etc for it to work as expected. A range finding reticle allows you to know the distance(if you know what your doing) of your target, you then either dial or hold over based on your dope (you still have to know your dope) The standard is the simple mildot, there are alot of newer versions of modified mildots/hash marks- every good scope company pretty much has their own version and their all pretty good.

If you dont care about size that nitrex scope l mentioned earlier is an amazing deal, its a LOW japan made scope (not some made in china pos) for 200$ at natchez. It wont have a mil reticle but its still an amazing scope for the $. For under 400 you should be able to find a vortex viper or bushy 4200 (also made by LOW japan )on sale with a stand second focal plane mildot. I really like my 4200 for the $ its a great scope. I see your already getting scope creep lol, my last budget started at 600 max, ended up with a 2k USO lol.

tvfreakarms
09-27-11, 02:09
Not to sound like an idiot but i'm very new regarding scopes and what not. So is this a range finding reticle?
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/tvfreakazoid/mildot02.gif

tvfreakarms
09-27-11, 03:24
What about this brand? Or something similar in price range that is better than this nikon?

Nikon Monarch (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-2-5-10x42-Monarch-Riflescope-Mildot/dp/B000YAVMXK/ref=sr_1_20?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1317111453&sr=1-20)

crowkiller
09-27-11, 11:14
http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11227.aspx

shootist~
09-27-11, 17:03
OP - It sounds like you need to do some Google searches on "Ranging Reticles" and "BDC Reticles" as well as Target Turrets. Then determine what you are trying to do.

I'm not sure what either has anything to do with taking or not taking a spotting scope to the range, but for low budget, better glass beats the gimmicks added to cheap scopes by a lot of "Mils".

skatz11
09-27-11, 18:35
If you're willing to increase your budget a little bit I would consider anything in the Bushnell Elite or Vortex Viper product lines. Find the magnification range, overall size, and reticle that you like.

Keep an eye on SWFA's sample list (http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx). There are usually some good deals to found.

I would save a some more money and hold out for a SWFA SS 3-9X42 (http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P41044.aspx). They usually go for about $500 used.

It's more than you want to spend, but I believe its one of the best value going in optics right now. (features, performance, cost)

anthony1
09-28-11, 05:07
Yes, the pic you posted is a standard mildot reticle. Honestly, unless you plan on engaging targets beyond your rifles point blank range and at UNKNOWN distances you really dont need it (every shooting range l've been to has the yardage marked.) So for a range toy there is no need for anything other than the best glass you can afford.

The main problem you will run into is in seeing the bullet holes at 100yds plus, you will need a high mag scope for that. High mag scopes are big and heavy, they are mainly put on bolt rifles that have long barrels 24-26 inches and are shot from a rest or bags and generally not lugged around to much. Most ARs are 16 inch barrels and big high mag scopes dont look right on them as well as add a bunch of weight and make them less manuverable. Its a matter of preference but most people put small low mag optics on their ARs for a reaso.

It sounds like you dont really know what you want exactly and there is nothing wrong with that. I think the best thing for you to do would be to figure out exactly what you want before buying anything,

tvfreakarms
09-30-11, 03:46
Yea i'm not 100% sure what i want really. I guess i may need to hold off a bit and get me an optic or something :D.

Thanks for the advices.

hals1
10-04-11, 06:30
http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11227.aspx

I just ordered one of these for my 16" middie along with a PEPR QD mount. Ordered about 11:30MDT Monday an it should be here tomorrow. SWFA is quick. I hope to get out to shoot Columbus Day. Will give a range report and scope impressions.

hals1
10-04-11, 06:35
Keep an eye on SWFA's sample list (http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx). There are usually some good deals to found.

Thanks for that link. I had no idea. I will keep a close eye on it as I am in the market for something like a Vortex Viper PST soon. Maybe I can afford better glass.

jd1123
10-07-11, 18:18
Not to sound like an idiot but i'm very new regarding scopes and what not. So is this a range finding reticle?
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/tvfreakazoid/mildot02.gif

You can use a mildot reticle for range-finding if you know what you're doing. There are a bunch of resources on the net that explain this in detail - would post a link but seems I've misplaced it.

jd1123
10-07-11, 18:29
Yea i'm not 100% sure what i want really. I guess i may need to hold off a bit and get me an optic or something :D.

Thanks for the advices.

Waiting and doing research will help you. I made some silly mistakes with optics - it will save you lots of time and money if you make a more informed decision. Like many have said, BDCs are very load and rifle specific. If you change your load or the length of the barrel used, the information will no longer be useful. Mildots are a lot more versatile, but require some work to figure out how to use them.

Understanding the purpose of the optic should be objective number one. When you get that down, you'll be able to better differentiate between the vast number of optics out there and rule out a lot of possibilities. Increasing your budget will help, but there are a lot of good value optics out there that will get you something good at a good price. Research is key because there's also plenty of crap.