PDA

View Full Version : 870P Sights?

blake6551
11-13-07, 20:14
I am getting ready to purchase an 870P and am trying to decide between rifle sights and bead sights. Any opinions? The specific models I am looking at are the 4417 and 4403. This will mainly be a HD gun buy I may try to take a class or two with it. Only mods I am planning initially are a Surefire 6v system and sling.

Thanks

User Name
11-13-07, 20:25
If you are going to do a class that includes slugs get a good set of ghost rings. To be simple buy a http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870pmax.htm . Or an over priced Wilson Combat Scattergun http://www.wilsoncombat.com/s_professional.asp. Though I do prefer a 14" barrel that said I have an 18" 870P. Hope this helps.

Redmanfms
11-13-07, 20:34
I have rifle sights on my Police Magnum and they work very well. I've used ghost ring sights on shotguns before and while they do have reasonably fast acquisition times, I find the aperture too large, especially for using slugs.

The rifle sights equipped on Remington shotguns are certainly adequate and I really don't think they are much slower than a ghost ring (if at all). The white triangle and white dot acquire quite naturally for me.

IMHO.

rob_s
11-13-07, 20:44
IIRC Randy Cain prefers rifle sights, and I can kind of see his point. Actually, I believe he's mentioned that he prefers pistol sights mounted more forward.

Before my 870 got swiped I was planning on getting a rifle sighted barrel for it.

User Name
11-13-07, 20:44
[QUOTE=Redmanfms;94366]I have rifle sights on my Police Magnum and they work very well. I've used ghost ring sights on shotguns before and while they do have reasonably fast acquisition times, I find the aperture too large, especially for using slugs.

I don't look at my 870's or any shotgun even with slugs as being a beyond 100m weapon. Rifle sights slow me down. Just my 2 cents as well as Rob Haught's and L. Awerbuck's .GR's are the way to go. Or just a bead if you're planning on using only buckshot loads (which there is an arguement for) If I want a rifle I pick up my AR or FAL. I've taken both their classes and came out a believer in ghost rings.

Redmanfms
11-13-07, 21:28
I don't look at my 870's or any shotgun even with slugs as being a beyond 100m weapon. Rifle sights slow me down. Just my 2 cents as well as Rob Haught's and L. Awerbuck's .GR's are the way to go. Or just a bead if you're planning on using only buckshot loads (which there is an arguement for) If I want a rifle I pick up my AR or FAL. I've taken both their classes and came out a believer in ghost rings.

If they're better for you, use 'em. I've tried them and I don't like them. The acquisition time for me isn't significantly faster to off-set what I find to be an inadequate sight picture. I'm not arguing with anybody, just stating my experience and opinion.

User Name
11-13-07, 21:43
Fair enough. I agree completely. When in doubt with someone that has not tried either I would say go with what the guru's go with. Though if I did better or simply preferred rifle sights I would'nt care what anyone one said I'd stay with what I liked. Sorry for the name dropping. Though I cannot think of anyone in the shotgun training industry with a better rep than Rob or Louis.

toddackerman
11-14-07, 20:30
Fair enough. I agree completely. When in doubt with someone that has not tried either I would say go with what the guru's go with. Though if I did better or simply preferred rifle sights I wouldn't care what anyone one said I'd stay with what I liked. Sorry for the name dropping. Though I cannot think of anyone in the shotgun training industry with a better rep than Rob or Louis.

Rob H. and Louie A. are obviously both well versed on this, but at least for me,
after several years of working with both, I prefer Rifle Sights.

A Ghost Ring leaves way too much room for error IMO because the aperture is so big. I am just as fast with a "Properly Fitted 870" and rifle sights with much more accuracy at 25-50 yds than with Ghost Rings...but, to each his own.

FWIW...I just sold a Vang Comp'd "Original Scatter Gun Technologies" ( not Wilson) that had Ghost Rings, and built a new 870 with a Remington Rifle Sighted IC barrel. Side Note: With Fed. 00132 or 00127 Flite Control Wad Loads loads it patterns as well as the Vang Comp conversion 870 did.

Instead of guessing about it, find someone who has both, do some Head Shot drills at 50 yds. with a timer, and see how you do. You may be surprised. I have had total "Head Shot" misses with Ghost Rings under stress at these distances. Not so with the Rifle Sights...and we're talking one head shot in 2 seconds.

If you can't do that, try the rifle sighted barrel first, and if you don't like it, go with the Ghost Rings as you will have to have the barrel refinished after mounting the front sight anyway, so your investment is minimized.

Again, IF (like all shotguns) the gun fits you, the rifle sights will come up to your presentation dead on target.

User Name
11-14-07, 21:33
Rob H. and Louie A. are obviously both well versed on this, but at least for me,
after several years of working with both, I prefer Rifle Sights.

A Ghost Ring leaves way too much room for error IMO because the aperture is so big. I am just as fast with a "Properly Fitted 870" and rifle sights with much more accuracy at 25-50 yds than with Ghost Rings...but, to each his own.

FWIW...I just sold a Vang Comp'd "Original Scatter Gun Technologies" ( not Wilson) that had Ghost Rings, and built a new 870 with a Remington Rifle Sighted IC barrel. Side Note: With Fed. 00132 or 00127 Flite Control Wad Loads loads it patterns as well as the Vang Comp conversion 870 did.

Instead of guessing about it, find someone who has both, do some Head Shot drills at 50 yds. with a timer, and see how you do. You may be surprised. I have had total "Head Shot" misses with Ghost Rings under stress at these distances. Not so with the Rifle Sights...and we're talking one head shot in 2 seconds.

If you can't do that, try the rifle sighted barrel first, and if you don't like it, go with the Ghost Rings as you will have to have the barrel refinished after mounting the front sight anyway, so your investment is minimized.

Again, IF (like all shotguns) the gun fits you, the rifle sights will come up to your presentation dead on target.

I really need to play with a rifle sighted 870 before I comment further. You guys may have a point. I typically do not deploy a shotgun on duty except during traffic stops where I prefer a slug over my 75 grain TAP loaded AR. I'll occasionally use buckshot every now and then. But for just BS I'd rather have a bead. It's all good as long as it gets the job done.;)

blake6551
11-14-07, 23:14
Thanks guys.

Twosons
11-20-07, 06:26
Or an over priced Wilson Combat Scattergun http://www.wilsoncombat.com/s_professional.asp. Though I do prefer a 14" barrel that said I have an 18" 870P. Hope this helps.

If you do decide to go with the Ghost Rings, check out:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=109166&t=11082005

I ended up paying $74 + shipping on sale there. Yes, that writing on the side does say Scattergun.

PALADIN-hgwt
11-20-07, 16:37
xxxxx

Al U. 5811
11-24-07, 00:30
I haven't attended a Haught class but I did assistant instruct for 2 of Louis' classes. To be honest, after talking to Lou quite a bit he prefers whatever works best for the individual shooter. Myself, I have all three and can pick out the advantage/disadvantage of each. What works best for ME is barrel mounted rifle sights with tritium inserts. I grew up hunting deer in Southeast Minnesota(shotgun only zones) with an 870 w/rifle sights. I went with what I am comfortable with then added the tritiums.

m24shooter
11-25-07, 17:26
Personally I like the GRS kits.
If you decide to go with the Trijicon/Wilson type, order the Trijicon from Brownells. They are quite a bit cheaper and even more so with the dealer discount. Trijicon makes them for Wilson, so it is the exact same sight.