PDA

View Full Version : Why 200 posts for GD forum? Isn't that excessive?

blasternank
09-25-11, 19:24
I am really liking this site but one of my favorites would be the general discussion aspects of the site. It seems 200 posts to partake in a general discussion forum is excessive. That is possibly a long time going just to discuss other issues with members. I know it's probably going to come back as this is the rules, take it or leave it.

I understand but I just want to say I don't agree with it as many people probably don't have much to add to many posts as they are general users of AR's and just want info on a few problems they have or learn a little more from more knowledgeable people about their firearms and to be part of a community of like minded individuals who enjoy many of the same activities and hobbies as they do.

Thomas M-4
09-25-11, 19:34
It was needed because before the 200 rule new people would come in and completely trash GD. We even had some users treat it like it was a twitter account.:rolleyes: Before the 200 rule there was even talk of completely doing away with GD [yes it was that bad]. Since the 200 rule has been effect GD has gotten allot better.

Grizzly16
09-25-11, 19:46
I've always looked at it this way.

What is m4c about? The m4, then other shooting/tac/guns then the GD section. So it makes sense that until you've been around a while and posted some there is no reason to allow GD access for posting. You can read and learn all you need about m4s with out it. It helps keep the focus on the task at hand. And if you try and speed post your way to the GD section the mods can see you are spamming for no good reason.

So as a sub 200 poster I applaud the limit.

SHIVAN
09-25-11, 20:27
It has to do with a desired signal to noise ratio. Almost all general discussion topics become noise that permeates the site. Problems, and tenor, of the general discussion become the tenor of the other sub-forums.

The fact of the matter is, general discussion isn't the focal point of this website. It is there for our enjoyment when other topics of interest are exhausted.

Flatly stated, it was drawing the wrong type of people here. We expect that people who want to participate in our community, with 200 worthwhile posts, will more likely participate in general discussion responsibly.

So far, it has worked as we expected.

titsonritz
09-25-11, 23:01
It has to do with a desired signal to noise ratio. Almost all general discussion topics become noise that permeates the site. Problems, and tenor, of the general discussion become the tenor of the other sub-forums.

The fact of the matter is, general discussion isn't the focal point of this website. It is there for our enjoyment when other topics of interest are exhausted.

Flatly stated, it was drawing the wrong type of people here. We expect that people who want to participate in our community, with 200 worthwhile posts, will more likely participate in general discussion responsibly.

So far, it has worked as we expected.

Wow!! That is awesome. I think that pretty much settles that.

Suwannee Tim
09-26-11, 16:59
The point of a 200 post threshold for GD is to keep the riff-raff out. A temporary solution at best. :D

There is a special provision whereby you can circumvent the 200 post rule. If I vouch for you they increase the number to 500. :D:D

TOrrock
09-26-11, 17:11
Asked and answered.