PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a specific type of bag

ruchik
09-25-11, 20:27
I have decided to ditch my current bug out bag in favor of one that has no waist belt. However, I am looking for one that allows for space to store a 16" AR-15 broken down into the upper and lower separately. The closest thing I found was an SO Tech Go Bag Extended, which allows for just that, but there's no room left for anything else (which defeats the whole point of having a BOB in the first place). Also looked at Eberlestock bags, but it is pretty darn obvious that one is carrying a rifle in their packs. I'm looking for something more low key, that looks unassuming. It needs to be able to hold enough supplies for 3 days, and store my separated rifle. If you guys have recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it.

SeriousStudent
09-25-11, 21:16
What about a Noveske backpack?

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=backpack&cat=151&page=1&search=&since=&status=

I have one of the original series, made a year or so ago. I like it a great deal. I have loaned it to a LEO who is a friend, and he also liked it when he carried it operationally.

I think it could be used for a BOB, if you were careful how you packed it, and what you carried. The beavertail on the back could carry outerwear. The side pockets can carry water bottles. A hydration bladder can be set up.

As far as food, I've got the Mainstay "lifeboat style" rations in my BOB. Not sexy at all. But they are stable for years in the Texas heat.

It does not scream "rifle' as you indicated some other packs do. And if you have an SBR, you could carry it assembled. A carbine with a 16" barrel fits in mine with no issues, when broken into upper and lower halves.

Let us know what you choose, I think a fair number of folks are thinking similar thoughts.

ST911
09-27-11, 10:55
I often use an Eagle AIII Large to carry a broken down AR with other contingency supplies. I can carry enough additional personal items for 1-2 overnights.

ruchik
09-27-11, 11:18
How long is your AR, if you don't mind me asking?

ST911
09-27-11, 11:57
16" barrel. Setup includes 30rd mag inserted in the lower, RDS and BUIS on the upper.

Ak44
09-27-11, 12:01
I use a tennis racket bag for my SBR's and my Scar 17.