PDA

View Full Version : Complete disassembly of a lower?

TACAV
09-25-11, 20:33
I have a complete standard lower receiver that came completed from the factory.

I would like to send it off to Orion Arms to have some custom engraving work done.

Before shipping it out to them they want me to disassemble the entire lower receiver minus the trigger guard.

The gunsmith I know is advising me that he would prefer to not do that as once certain parts are installed such as the small pins etc are in place, taking them out and putting them back in can cause problems down the road and putting undue wear/stress on the parts or lower.

I have put together a couple lowers myself and swapped out major components but I have never totally stripped one down completely so I don't have to much experience in that regard.

What say you all?

ssracer
09-25-11, 20:38
some of the pins would likely need to be replaced, not reused. The toughest part would be making sure that you don't damage or break anything while trying to tap the pins out.

jet80tv
09-25-11, 20:42
I've put together a few and only ever took the pistol grip off or took out fcg never total disassemble. I always thought that I wouldn't want to have to pound the trigger guard roll pin back out or even possibly the bolt catch roll pin, but the trigger guard pin because of the ears and how thin they are. I would say just take ur time and be careful.

Eric D.
09-25-11, 21:15
Is this lower new? If it is then it stands to reason that the parts aren't worn in. Even used If you have the right tools and know how do assemble/disassemble a lower, there is nothing wrong with stripping it and putting it back together later with the same parts. If you really want to scrutinize, you can use new roll pins but I personally find this unnecessary.

TACAV
09-25-11, 21:27
It is a brand new Daniel Defense Lower.
I guess if need be I can just order a couple new roll pins etc.

Thanks.

Iraqgunz
09-25-11, 22:25
First off, your gunsmith is probably an idiot and is uncomfortable with AR's if he made such a statement. I would contact Orion and get clarification from them and ask if the bolt release can stay in place, the same with the front take down pin.

The hammer and trigger with all associated parts are very easy and effortlessly removed. The pistol grip is nothing more than a screw. The lower receiver extension is not terribly hard assuming you have the right tools. Although I would replace the end plate if you break the stakings.

Failure2Stop
09-25-11, 22:28
I would ask Orion if they are ok with you leaving the bolt catch and receiver extension (if it is installed) on.
At least you can get the straight scoop from them, because replacing the bolt catch roll pin and having to replace and restake the receiver end-plate is a bit of an annoyance if unneeded.

ccosby
09-25-11, 23:29
I would ask Orion if they are ok with you leaving the bolt catch and receiver extension (if it is installed) on.
At least you can get the straight scoop from them, because replacing the bolt catch roll pin and having to replace and restake the receiver end-plate is a bit of an annoyance if unneeded.

I've seen a few engravers that want the stock and pistol grip removed but thats generally as far as they need to go. Depending on their equipment they may want the entire buffer tube removed but thats easy to put back on. It also depends on where you want stuff engraved.

Failure2Stop
09-25-11, 23:33
I've seen a few engravers that want the stock and pistol grip removed but thats generally as far as they need to go. Depending on their equipment they may want the entire buffer tube removed but thats easy to put back on. It also depends on where you want stuff engraved.

Which is why I was suggesting that he actually talk to them to find out.

TACAV
09-26-11, 06:46
Which is why I was suggesting that he actually talk to them to find out.

I have already talked to Orion Arms,

I am having them engrave a semi circle to under the existing selector markings to reflect a short throw safety lever.

"please have you smith remove all but the trigger guard if it is a standard rotating version. "

Is what they said.

Yes, removing certain parts like the grip, receiver extension, end plate trigger are easy.

As some here said I believe my smith was referring to things like the bolt catch roll pin.

Failure2Stop
09-26-11, 09:22
If that's what Orion directly asked for, and if you aren't comfortable with doing the disassembly/reassembly yourself, then I would recommend finding a smith that is.

If you do what they are asking all you need to replace is the bolt catch roll pin and end plate. Not a big deal if you have the tools and parts, but not something I would want to pay a smith for.

I am having them engrave a semi circle to under the existing selector markings to reflect a short throw safety lever.

Ah, I thought it was an NFA engraving. Kinda makes sense why they want it mostly stripped.

40Arpent
09-26-11, 09:54
What say you all?

I say ditch that gunsmith of yours. What an idiot....

brzusa.1911
09-26-11, 10:05
I say ditch Orion and look for another engraver.

Hanson77
09-26-11, 10:34
With a few basic punches and a small hammer, totally disassembling a lower isn't that hard. You can go on YouTube and see step by step how to do it. The little spring loaded detents for the take-down pins are the hardest ones to manage. They turn into little rockets if you aren't careful.

Iraqgunz
09-26-11, 13:12
Ok, your missing the point. Removing and replacing the roll pin for the bolt catch is easy- if your simth has an issue with that then I suggest you look for another one.

Everything else can be disassembled with small punches and a screw driver. The tube will need a castle nut wrench. So you need to decide the following;

1. Is getting your lower engraved to match the new selector lever worth it?

2. If so, you can either buy the tools you need and do it.

3. Or you can let the local "smith' do it who sounds like he doesn't know much about AR's and seems uncomfortable working on them.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

I have already talked to Orion Arms,

"please have you smith remove all but the trigger guard if it is a standard rotating version. "

Is what they said.

Yes, removing certain parts like the grip, receiver extension, end plate trigger are easy.

As some here said I believe my smith was referring to things like the bolt catch roll pin.

TACAV
09-26-11, 15:57
Thanks for the help.:cool: