PDA

View Full Version : New To the Forums

gunghorjc
09-25-11, 23:23
New member here to the forums. Heard about it through a friend.

I've been wanting a semi-automatic rifle for a while now, for a variety of reasons but most prominently for just plinking and enjoying.

I've been engaged in firearms now for about 4 years, and I own several handguns in .22LR and 9mm, a Ruger 10/22 rifle, and a lever action Winchester 94AE lever action 30-30.

I was going to buy a Kel-tec SU-16C but my friend talked me out of it, saying that I could get a nice AR-15 for not a whole lot more.

So I started looking into the AR type rifles (holy cow there are lots of them) and I've handled a few at gun shops. I really love the feel and weight of the Smith and Wesson M&P15.

Any advice for someone who is looking to purchase their first AR, or suggestions on what to avoid. I know the option is out there for me to build my own AR, but I think for a first one I'll go with a pre-built model.

Looking forward to talking with everyone and reading the forum!

oef24
09-25-11, 23:32
Welcome to M4C. If you take a little time to absorb the wealth of information within this forum, you will notice a trend. The cream rises to the top. I suggest you do a little reading and pay attention to who writes what. In less than 1 week, you will have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 brand/models. The M&P15 line is not a bad start. Good luck and make sure that once you have her home, you MUST post pics! Good luck.

O

gunghorjc
09-25-11, 23:48
Thanks for the welcome oef24! I'm already browsing threads here like crazy, the forum is huge!

I want to add too that what I'm looking for in an AR rifle at the moment is something that is simple (such as not a lot of accessories pre-included) but has the ability to be added at a later date. Normal iron sights will work to get me shooting.

Iraqgunz
09-25-11, 23:50
I thought this was more appropriate even though you aren't new to firearms, per se.

I encourage you to read around and take some time to understand the platform and what sets the various makers apart.

I also encourage you not to get wrapped up in buying optics and shit that you don't need. Spend your money wisely on a good AR (Colt 6920, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, Noveske or LMT) and then become familiar with how it works, maintenance, etc....

gunghorjc
09-26-11, 00:01
Thanks for the suggestions Iraqgunz! I'll do some reading on those rifles you mentioned. I remember seeing a Daniel Defense at the gun store when I was there. Don't remember the specifics about it.

I recognize the LMT as it's the AR my buddy wants to purchase, though he's looking for a 7.62/.308, where I'm more interested in the 5.56/.223.

C4IGrant
09-26-11, 09:48
Welcome to the forum.

When looking for an AR, first define how you wish to use it.

1. Target shooting
2. Varmin hunting
3. Plinking
4. Home Defense
5. Training gun
6. Safe queen

S&W AR's are pretty good. They offer some nice configurations and are a good company I think.

With that said, there are better AR's out there for a little more money. So depending on your budget, look at Colt, BCM, DD, etc.

C4

gunghorjc
09-26-11, 10:43
Thanks for the reply C4IGrant!

Plinking, defense, and training would be tops on the list. I have other varmint guns. Definitely not a safe queen, I shoot my guns, with the exception of my 30-30 (which is a shame as it's a nice rifle) at least once a month.

I'm not set on the S&W M&P15. I'm not even 100% set on an AR. I've got about 6 months before I planned on purchasing the rifle. Like the saying goes, Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance, so I'm here to learn about the AR's, how they work and why they work.

What did I like about the S&W M&P15 compared to the few other AR-15's I picked up? How light it was. Seriously, I thought the thing was a toy (somewhat serious). There was a DPMS that I had picked up also, which was quite a bit heavier.

Back to reading stickies!

SeriousStudent
09-26-11, 19:07
Welcome aboard, and congrats on wanting to learn and research. An unfortunately large number of folks come for validation (Buying a sub-performing rifle or carbine, then moaning about it). It's terrific to see a new member looking and learning.

There are some really good stickies in this section. Some folks that are Industry Professionals and Subject matter Experts have written some thoughtful ones. You might give those some extra thought.

Personally, I think it's very difficult to go wrong with a Colt 6920 as a first AR.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

Grant has a very good price on these, costing under a grand.

Weidener's has a very good deal on IMI M193 ammo as well. Only $318 for 1200 rounds of excellent ammo.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9017

And BCM has a great deal on mags:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20bt30mf%2010pack.htm

You can do a lot of reading on slings, lights and optics. A great deal of that boils down to preferences, and trial and error.

May I be so bold as to suggest some local training opportunities, once you have secured a carbine, mags and ammo? There are a good number instructors affiliated with the Vickers Shooting Method schools, you might look them up.

Also Steve Fisher of Magpul Dynamics is from Michigan. I am not sure if he still lives up there. But he is a member here, and is often spoken of highly as an instructor.

Again, welcome, and good luck!