PDA

View Full Version : First AR purchase/build

groundpounder17
09-26-11, 00:28
Hi everyone. I'm looking at either purchasing or building my first AR although I'm not new to the weapons system by any means. I've been researching and reading forums for several weeks and it seems that every time I think I've made up my mind I read something else that gives me doubts.

I've been heavily leaning toward the LMT CQB DI (I don't want a piston) but like I said earlier I've read a few negatives on every system. I want a 16" CL barrel that will be pretty accurate as well as reliable while not being too heavy. I'm not opposed at all to building as I did spent a little time in the armory. Before I drop around 2k on an AR I want to be sure that I make the right decision before pulling the trigger so to speak.

The main companies that I'm considering are LMT, KAC, BCM, and Noveske. I would rather necessarily be limited to one system if the compents of many will make a better whole. I'm really leaning toward the LMT for the upper but I could be swayed. I've read good things about the BCM BCG and wonders how it compares to the LMT's enhanced BCG. I see that some are running the BCM FA BCG in a semi and I am unsure as to what purpose this serves.

As far as lowers I don't see how I could go wrong with any of the companies mentioned. I don't need ambi controls but I would like something a little more than the standard trigger like maybe a 2 stage or a geissele. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi

Iraqgunz
09-26-11, 00:35
A few suggestions- break your post up a little otherwise it's like trying to read an encyclopedia and people will lose interest.

Spending time in an armory and having the tools and understanding on how to properly assemble an AR, are not one in the same. There have been plenty of people that have FUBAR'd their attempts.

I don't know where the 2K price tag comes in, but you can assemble one for much less w/o cutting quality.

Is there a reason why you have discounted a Colt 6920?

Running a F/A bolt carrier makes sense because that is what the system was designed to run with. All the semi stuff and other abortions came about because of PC and sillyness.

LMT (enhanced) and Bravo Company BCG's are different. You may want to re-examine that.

Geissele triggers are exceptionally nice and though I have been resisting them, I have a feeling I will be getting some as well.

Hi everyone. I'm looking at either purchasing or building my first AR although I'm not new to the weapons system by any means. I've been researching and reading forums for several weeks and it seems that every time I think I've made up my mind I read something else that gives me doubts. I've been heavily leaning toward the LMT CQB DI (I don't want a piston) but like I said earlier I've read a few negatives on every system. I want a 16" CL barrel that will be pretty accurate as well as reliable while not being too heavy. I'm not opposed at all to building as I did spent a little time in the armory. Before I drop around 2k on an AR I want to be sure that I make the right decision before pulling the trigger so to speak. The main companies that I'm considering is LMT, KAC, BCM, and Noveske. I would rather necessarily be limited to one system if the compents of many will make a better whole. I'm really leaning toward the LMT for the upper but I could be swayed. I've read good things about the BCM BCG and wonders how it compares to the LMT's enhanced BCG. I see that some are running the BCM FA BCG in a semi and I am unsure as to what purpose this serves. As far as lowers I don't see how I could go wrong with any of the companies mentioned. I don't need ambi controls but I would like something a little more than the standard trigger like maybe 2 stage or a geissele. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Semper Fi

anthony1
09-26-11, 01:51
I was in the same position as you, l decided to just buy a colt 6920 and be done with it. If you're going to drop a decent amount of cash on a rifle wouldn't you want to know 100% its going to be assembled correctly or if not have a warranty to rely on? lm not a dumbass when it comes to rifles in general but l have zero experience building AR's and l dont have anyone l would really trust to help me in person if l messed up.

I think it would be a better idea to get a known quality rifle and get familiar with the platform before trying to build one.

groundpounder17
09-26-11, 08:00
I just don't really drink the colt kool-aide. Colt makes a fine weapon but I want something unique and something that has more features to my liking. I'm looking to spend right at around 2k and that is around my limit. The local shops only carry s#|+ quality builds so actually getting my hands on many of these parts for inspection is not an option so I have to go by what I've researched.

I have plenty of tools and have assembled and built several weapons. I'm not a newbie with the m16 platform that has to get out the Mickey mouse towel for disassembly. I've always thought the build was half the fun, but I would rather get the quality parts ready the first time.

elia.jon1
09-26-11, 08:06
i can second the 6920

it is di which you want

comes from one of the best manufactuers.....

i have built several guns, i used better components each time and my last build a 16" middy lightweight was amazing, until i put some rounds through a 6920.....

Shane1
09-26-11, 08:15
If this is just a play rifle and your life wont depend on it, go for it. Do you plan on doing a real build or just throwing parts in? Do you have experience with installing a barrel and gas tube, headspacing the bolt, etc? For $2000, you could buy a 6920 if your patient enough and have enough left over to start a build on a second rifle. I like to tinker with blasters also but not work ones.

groundpounder17
09-26-11, 08:49
I was about to buy an HK MR556 (civilian 416) but I didn't like the barrel or the added weight. After a lot of drooling I decided against the HK and decided to get DI AR. I almost bought a 6921 but when the OTD price calculated up to near 1700 I decided that I would rather build what I want.

I actually do have experience with installing gas tubes, headspacing bolts, etc. The actual build process doesn't scare me but I will more than likely be just piecing parts together for the most part.

jet80tv
09-26-11, 09:08
I dont think anyone is gonna talk you out of your build,so go and build it. If you use quality parts from the manufacturers you stated then you should be good, it may not be the best option but...hell you could build the rifle from anything and without proper tools even and it might still even function correctly, though its not recommended. Have fun and thats what it is about, unless of course the rifle is for government work;)

jklaughrey
09-26-11, 09:14
6921 for 1700...? WTF where are you shopping Sheik I'm a Rip U off Fookyouistan?

Look, take IG's advice. Buy a good known quantity and then do a "build". That way if you **** it up you still have one you can be sure works properly.

http://clydearmory.com/colt-le6921.html

totenkopf_u64
09-26-11, 09:15
The colt 6920 is difficult to beat. Remember, from there you can do any number of upgrades as you see fit, and at your leisure.

If you want lighter weight rifle, you could get a BCM LW complete upper receiver with a VTAC extreme preinstalled. Then pop over to grants place and get a complete BCM lower. Also, isn't their a pencil barrel colt? 6720 maybe?

As far as BCGs are concerned, I don't believe you can go wrong with offerings from LMT, BCM, DD, or even a PSA premium BCG. You probably don't need the LMT enhanced bolt itself... It isn't what you think it is.

duece71
09-26-11, 10:03
Colt 6920's can be had for less than $1000, Noveske has their skinny MOE for ~$1500. Shop around and like others said, go with a KNOWN brand. Buy once, not cry twice. But hey, in the end, its your money and you are going to buy what you want. I would research, read more on this site.

Watrdawg
09-26-11, 10:20
I was in the same boat last year. I ended up doing a semi build. I bought a complete LMT lower and a BCM 14.5" Middy upper. I swapped out the LMT trigger for a Geiselle SSA-E trigger and then put on a UBR stock. The stock was a bit expensive and really wasn't needed but more of a WANT than anything. I think I paid a total of $1750 +/- for all of that. With out the UBR could have been a couple of hundred less. Would have left room for optics and still stay below $2K.

groundpounder17
09-26-11, 12:35
I think I might just buy a 6920 and then start a build. Any preference of the SP6920 over the LE6920? I'm leaning toward the LE

jklaughrey
09-26-11, 12:56
They are the same, just different rollmark. One is "sporter" other is L.E.

Iraqgunz
09-26-11, 13:41
Here's an option.

1. Buy this Colt 6920- http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

2. Get a Centurion Arms Rail- http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=123&Itemid=154 either the carbine version or cut out rail.

3. Replace the charging handle with a BCM Gunfigher.

4. Replace the stock and pistol grip (if desired) with your preference and you can sell off the original Colt items to offset the cost.

5. You will be under budget and you will still have plenty of money left to get a sling, light, ammunition and magazines.

I think I might just buy a 6920 and then start a build. Any preference of the SP6920 over the LE6920? I'm leaning toward the LE

groundpounder17
09-26-11, 14:14
I ended up ordering the sp model from clydes armory earlier and it will be shipped today. I still plan on a build though. Having the colt will just give me more time to fine tune my decisions on the build and give me something to compare the build two. I just fiigured that by now someone is doing it better than Colt. Anyone have any idea what type of shot groups are expected of the 6920? Maybe 1.5 MOA?

fdxpilot
09-27-11, 19:56

Except for the rollmark, they are identical. My SP6920 was $1009 delivered to my local FFL.

http://home.comcast.net/~mfrey2/pwpimages/Colt%206920b.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mfrey2/pwpimages/Colt%206920f.jpg

Pay your FFL for the transfer, and you still have $950 for ammo and accessories.

Javelin
09-27-11, 20:01
I don't know much about Palmetto other than I have seen their rifles around but this $999 special with Aimpoint Pro is not a bad deal honestly.... if I were looking for a first AR I would definitely give it a little consideration as I could easily sell it in a couple of years for what I had into it.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2557.php

Jwalker
09-27-11, 20:18
I ordered an LMT Defender recently, primarily because of a thread that kind of bragged about the poor finish and dents in a new 6920, saying "they know how to make a rifle that functions and don't care about the finish." Well, I care - I want to put my own dents in the rifle and wear my own finish. We'll see how that works out, since it hasn't been delivered yet.

One thing I would recommend doing better than I did was decide what kind of optional optical sights you plan to run, if any. I'd originally planned on an Aimpoint, but have recently decided a 1-4x scope might be better for me due to my astigmatism (makes the Red Dot Scope (RDS) dot appear star-shaped). The LMT comes with a rear sight and a fixed front sight which could interfere somewhat with scope; the rear sight will have to come off to fit the scope, and the front sight might be annoying enough in the field of view that I'll want to replace that, too. If you plan to use a scope, don't put anything in its way; if you want an RDS, then there's no problem.

polymorpheous
09-27-11, 20:29
G&R has options to customize uppers and lowers.
Or you can purchase a BCM 16" Mid complete with options.

peabody
09-27-11, 22:33
i'ed just buy a del-ton rifle kit' learn alot, shoot it alot... then build what you think is the perfect rifle.

del-ton is good stuff. i like mine alot.

peabody

DeltaSierra
09-27-11, 22:36
i'ed just buy a del-ton rifle kit' learn alot, shoot it alot... then build what you think is the perfect rifle.

del-ton is good stuff. i like mine alot.

peabody

Wow, on a roll tonight, eh?

Seriously, what is with all the "Oh, my Del-Ton is great" posts all of a sudden?

The OP wants a good quality rifle, not a piece of junk.

Not only that, but he already bought a rifle, and a good one at that - a Colt.

peabody
09-27-11, 22:42
Wow, on a roll tonight, eh?

Seriously, what is with all the "Oh, my Del-Ton is great" posts all of a sudden?

The OP wants a good quality rifle, not a piece of junk.

Not only that, but he already bought a rifle, and a good one at that - a Colt.

nothing wrong with delton, i like it as well as i do my colt 6920

in fact, im thinking of selling the colt, and keep the delton,
no differance in quality , and the delton is more accurate.

so .. there.

peabody

SpaceWrangler
09-27-11, 22:42
Dude, just stop.

groundpounder17
09-27-11, 22:48
Should arrive at my FFL tomorrow actually. My FFL is good to go. I've have several weapons shipped to him and now it's almost like second nature. I ordered some federal m855 rounds in new 30 cal ammo cans from wideners which should be here at weeks end. I got 2-420 round cases for about $149 per case. It was a little more expensive than the IMI but quality looks good with both, I just prefer federal. I'm now weighing my options on rail systems.

On a side note, my HK USP slide should be back from Heinie either tomorrow or the next day with straight eights installed! I should have a fun weekend.

I'm still looking at building a custom AR so I'll be sure to keep you all posted. Thanks for all the helpful replies and info!

Semper Fi

SeriousStudent
09-27-11, 23:01
With respect to the OP, perhaps this thread might get locked for a bit? The OP's question has been answered, and he's ordered a solid carbine.

I see the locomotive running down the track at full speed, heading for another Del-ton train wreck.

Groundpounder17 - good luck with your carbine, and best wishes for a successful build on your next one. They are a great deal of fun to piece together.

And in case no one has said so lately - thank you for your service.