PDA

View Full Version : Brass prep and Dillon 650

PWO
09-26-11, 09:41
Im looking to buy a Dillon 650. If this press decaps and primes the brass. How and when do the primmer pockets get cleaned? Can I use the 650 to decap my brass like a single stage press before tumbleing?

TomD
09-26-11, 11:47
Assuming you are talking about pistol ammo, don't worry about it. Except when I was shooting silhouette, I've never cleaned pistol primer pockets in the decades I've been reloading.

PWO
09-26-11, 12:09
thank you for the responce. I will be loading .45acp and .223

Docinak
09-26-11, 12:12
Every couple of reloading I run the brass though the press without loading them. Just decapping and resizing. I then tumble them, check them for size and trimming.

simple1
09-26-11, 12:39
The 650 will decap and prime.

From what I’ve seen the primer pockets don’t really get cleaned unless you use a uniformer or use stainless media in a tumbler such as Thumlers Tumbler. Ultrasonic would probably clean them but I have no experience with that.

Regardless – I haven’t seen any reason/value to cleaning or uninforming the pockets other than long range precision loads.

For pistol I just tumble the brass and run it through – size/decap, prime, and load all in a single run.

For rifle I tumble and lube. Then I run it through the press to size/decap and trim (requires press mounted trimmer). Next I tumble to clean off the lube and run it through the press to load. I keep a sizing die with pin in for this to make sure any tumbling media in the flash hole gets punched out. Priming is done during the loading stage. It helps to have separate tool heads for prep and loading.

Check out brianenos.com for some good detail on Dillon stuff.

PWO
09-26-11, 13:02
Thank you for your responces

SteadyUp
09-26-11, 15:13
I only clean primer pockets when making precision bolt gun loads, and even then, I have to wonder if it makes a difference.

markm
09-26-11, 15:28
I've never cleaned a primer pocked in 15 years of reloading.

Some benchrest guy over on accurate shooter did a pretty thorough test with like 40 rounds of cleaned and dirty pockets. No difference was found.

As mentioned, getting the lube off would be more important. I don't even decap or resize on my Progressive anymore. Gets the machine too dirty. I use a single stage for all the dirty jobs.

TomD
09-26-11, 15:29
I wish I'd never read about primer pocket cleaning!

30 cal slut
09-26-11, 15:36
I don't even decap or resize on my Progressive anymore. Gets the machine too dirty. I use a single stage for all the dirty jobs.

Yup, same here. Single stages presses are cheap enough. I think batch processing (e.g., doing one process like resizing on a bunch of brass) is more efficient use of time anyways.

shootist~
09-26-11, 16:05
Rifle Only:

If you only have the one loader, you will need a couple of tool heads for .223. Since you have to lube bottle neck cases you could size/decap and trim using one tool head (all at the same time). Then you need to tumble again to remove the lube. Removing the primer pocket crimp is done at this point as well if using brass that has been crimped.

SteadyUp
09-26-11, 16:18
I've never cleaned a primer pocked in 15 years of reloading.

Some benchrest guy over on accurate shooter did a pretty thorough test with like 40 rounds of cleaned and dirty pockets. No difference was found.

As mentioned, getting the lube off would be more important. I don't even decap or resize on my Progressive anymore. Gets the machine too dirty. I use a single stage for all the dirty jobs.

While I agree it does get the press pretty damn dirty, I just can't warm up to the thought of sizing 1000 cases on the single stage. I just dump them in the case feeder, and an RCBS lube die and FL sizing die takes care of business.

simple1
09-26-11, 16:43
While I agree it does get the press pretty damn dirty, I just can't warm up to the thought of sizing 1000 cases on the single stage. I just dump them in the case feeder, and an RCBS lube die and FL sizing die takes care of business.

Ditto. I hate case prep. Being able to size, swage, and trim all in one step makes it a breeze.

If I get carried away with the lube it can gunk up the case feeder and/or tube. Otherwise cleanup is pretty quick and is (to me) well worth it.

markm
09-27-11, 08:13

That's cool. Yeah... I almost never have that many to do. I stay on top of brass prep so I'm only running what we shot plus any we found.

The worst is when we find like 200-300 pieces of XM193.... Lord that's a long day of case trimming, crimp removal, and everything else.

SteadyUp
09-27-11, 10:22
That's cool. Yeah... I almost never have that many to do. I stay on top of brass prep so I'm only running what we shot plus any we found.

The worst is when we find like 200-300 pieces of XM193.... Lord that's a long day of case trimming, crimp removal, and everything else.

I feel your pain there. I'm currently shooting my way through 3 cases of XM193. So far not one damn piece hasn't needed trimming...ugh.

TaxPhd
09-28-11, 17:08
Ditto. I hate case prep. Being able to size, swage, and trim all in one step makes it a breeze.

If I get carried away with the lube it can gunk up the case feeder and/or tube. Otherwise cleanup is pretty quick and is (to me) well worth it.

Swaging primer pockets? If so, how are you doing this on a 650 at the same time as sizing and trimming?

simple1
09-28-11, 18:15
Swaging primer pockets? If so, how are you doing this on a 650 at the same time as sizing and trimming?

Sorry, I should have specified that this was on a 1050.

TaxPhd
09-29-11, 09:58
Sorry, I should have specified that this was on a 1050.

I figured that was it, but I was really hoping someone had a mod that would do it on a 650. Darn!

shootist~
09-29-11, 13:54
I load in a 1050 and sweged a lot of brass there. I now prefer the RCBS cutter mounted in a variable speed drill with trigger lock. A drill press set to horizontal would be even better. Less chance of overdoing it with the cutter.

markm
09-29-11, 13:56
I load in a 1050 and sweged a lot of brass there. I now prefer the RCBS cutter mounted in a variable speed drill with trigger lock. A drill press set to horizontal would be even better. Less chance of overdoing it with the cutter.

I've never tried a 1050, but I too like to take operations like that and priming off the progressive.

Too much going on on a machine can allow mistakes to be made. I like loading fully primed and prepped brass on my progressive.... even with pistol ammo.

shootist~
09-29-11, 14:04
I have zero issues priming .223 on the 1050, but with IMI brass, the primer pockets need to be uniformed to prevent high primers. It took me awhile to figure that out.

Oh, the other advantage of cutting out the primer crimp (VS sweging) is to prevent any raised metal on the inside of the case from being flattened over the flash hole.

simple1
09-29-11, 16:12
I figured that was it, but I was really hoping someone had a mod that would do it on a 650. Darn!

Just another reason to upgrade :D

Makes sense. First time I used a Super Swage I ruined a bunch of cases and the 1050 uses essentially the same mechanism.

I effectively swage in two steps. First a light touch when the cases are run through the prep tool head. Then a little more when they are run through the loading tool head. Only takes a few seconds for the adjustment and so far has worked well for me.

PWO
09-29-11, 18:40
Great info! Thanks! Now I'm torn between a Dillon 550 that I can use as a single stage press or the 650. I'm no longer worred about the primer pockets. Thanks again for the great info.

shootist~
09-29-11, 21:03
The 550 is less likely to give you grief than the 650. My 650 can be a bit cantankerous, but it's seen some hard use.

09-29-11, 23:06
The 550 priming system sucks....not really, but its finicky. Once you learn the quirks its ok. The add on case feed also sucks....

The 650 priming system is much better, and the case feed rocks. It also has more leverage and ease of working the handle.

I use my 650 most and reserve the 550 anymore for decaping, sizing and triming rifle brass.

I'll also use the 550 on calibers i don't shoot much and load litte for, such as 50 beo, 44mag etc.. and I also use it for working up loads on new guns and calibers.

If your not going to shoot a lot (under 1000 a month) buy the 550, otherwise go with the 650 or 1050.

PWO
09-30-11, 09:17
I have been looking on Ebay for a used rockcrusher for decapping and sizing. I don't shoot but a couple times a month. I just don't want to buy a 550 and then wish I had bought a 650 later. I have watched a ton of viedos on both. Sound like the 650 is the way to go if nothing but for the priming system. Is the 650 finiky if you take your time with it?

markm
09-30-11, 09:24
I just don't want to buy a 550 and then wish I had bought a 650 later. I have watched a ton of viedos on both. Sound like the 650 is the way to go if nothing but for the priming system.

Interesting. I've never felt any shortcoming with my 550b.

In fact... I've taken some of the feature off the machine to make it simpler. I almost never use the priming system anymore. I like loading from primed brass much better.

Overall it's slower to do so, but I'm able to keep a better eye on powder and bullet seating.

PWO
09-30-11, 09:41
Sounds like eather will be a great choice. Thank you for everyones input!

simple1
09-30-11, 10:40
I have been looking on Ebay for a used rockcrusher for decapping and sizing. I don't shoot but a couple times a month. I just don't want to buy a 550 and then wish I had bought a 650 later. I have watched a ton of viedos on both. Sound like the 650 is the way to go if nothing but for the priming system. Is the 650 finiky if you take your time with it?

I think almost every response you get will be different, and probably all correct based on that persons preferences, needs, and experiences.

I won’t speak to the 650 as I only have a 550 and 1050. But here is a link that is really worth reading on “which Dillon”:
http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

Based on what you’ve stated as your requirements I think the information at that link will point you toward a 550. Though if you start loading more volume you might want something more. And of course caliber changes take more time as you move up to the next machine.

I started with a 550 and still use it for .40 and .45.

PWO
09-30-11, 10:59
Thanks, I will check it out. I plan to purchase the equipment from this site also.