PDA

View Full Version : KAC barrel and e3 Bolt value

jonconsiglio
09-26-11, 14:25
After talking to Grant and IraqGunz about this and neither of them really sure about the answer, I figured it was time to ask here. I had cleared it with IG before posting as well.

What I'm looking for is a rough idea as to the value of a barrel and e3 bolt from an SR15. Let's say the round count is around 1,200 on this one. Depending on the answer, it's determine which one I send out to have the work done.

Let me be clear that all I'm looking for is what others think is a good price if I were to sell the KAC barrel and complete bolt without the carrier. A new e3 bolt retails for about $390 and as far as I know, you would normally have to buy a stripped bolt then the repair kit instead of a complete bolt. As for the barrel, I have no clue what it would retail for, if there even is an MSRP. My wild guess would be somewhere around $400 to $450 with the gas block, maybe a bit more considering their pricing on other items.

A little background on this. I've had three URX II's and even though I like the profile of the rail, I've had some issues... one being a snapped front sight and another that was bent. Besides that, I just prefer the Daniel Defense RIS II over the URX II, so I decided to change it out.

Now, my original thinking was that I'd send it out to have the URX replaced since I don't have the tools. I figured I'd shoot out the SR15 barrel, then replace it with a 14.5". Well, I'm a little over 15,000 on this particular barrel that I was going to send down, but I really don't know how long that will take to shoot out. So, I think I may do it with another one - it's a long story, but it makes sense to me.

So, I had thought if I was doing all of that, maybe I should just sell the upper. But, the URX II is coming off anyway since the rail is getting replaced and I wouldn't want to sell the bolt carrier (would just sell the e3 bolt) and I'd also keep the rear sight. So, to me it makes more sense to sell the barrel and bolt separately in this particular case.

Not sure why I gave all that info -- The only question I have here, what do you guys think would be the value of the SR15 barrel and the e3 bolt without the carrier (MSRP of $390, give or take a couple bucks)? So far, I've heard $300 should be the lowest on the barrel and I'm assuming the bolt should bring at the very least another $250 or more. If I go this route, the barrel and bolt will each have roughly 1,200 rounds.

I'll also be selling the URX II and possibly a semi-stripped KAC lower, but I have a decent idea of what to ask on those.

Thanks in advance. IraqGunz said to go for it on posting this thread, but warned the responses could get silly like has happened with similar threads. I normally would not ask a question like this that appears to be pretty simple on the surface, but this situation is a little different as these items are rarely seen for sale when new, and almost never when used.

Jon

Warg
09-26-11, 16:17
That seems like a good ballpark to start. The best price is what the market will bear, and FWIW I'd be willing to pay $550 for the bolt and barrel. Perhaps a bit more IF I was in the market for these as they're pretty much nonexistent. Seems like good candidates for an auction with $500 or $550 reserve price.

mtdawg169
09-26-11, 16:39
Jon, a few have sold here and there. I would look at the ST equipment exchange to see if you can find some data points on prior asking prices. You may also want to reach out to Neil at Gun Gallery for an opinion. Hope this helps.

zacbol
09-26-11, 17:14
I'll give a totally subjective take.

First, a slight tangent, but frequently I think sellers on E&E look at things from the perspective of 'What did I pay for this?' rather than "What would I be willing to pay for this?' and end up asking too much for used items.

King Optic sells the e3 field repair kit for $129 and the stripped bolt for about $240. They're the only web storefront I'm aware that has them. So, that's about $370 for a brand new one (not materially different from the 390 you quoted above).

Whether it's an e3 bolt or a Glock or a rifle, if I'm going to go used on something I want a significant savings, otherwise I'd just buy a new one. So, for something around 400 I'd personally at least do 100 less maybe 150. Given that the bolt is guaranteed for 20k rounds, I think 250-300 is reasonable, probably closer to the lower end. At someone who owns an SR15, I'd consider picking one up if I saw it at that price.

Apply the same logic to the barrel.

TMS951
09-26-11, 17:36
Another starting point on this to establish its value to the buyer would be to work backwards from a full upper.

King optic has, in stock, an upper for 1375$.

Is the barrel and bolt worth say xxx$ used when you get:

URX II
Bolt carrier
Rear sight
Upper receiver
Gas Block
and other misc. parts.

For xxx$ dollars more.

I have personally been very interested in either a SR15 upper or complete rifle because what you get is a great value. This makes just a barrel and bolt, while rare, not worth buying unless at a significant discount.

P2000
09-26-11, 20:14
You would also need to include the cam pin and firing pin for it to be useable for someone else. I think that 450-575 would be a fair price range. Your target market might be in the same boat as you, wanting a different rail system, but still wanting the E3 bolt set up. If that price seems low, I am just adjusting for the parts being used.

I would just sell the complete upper. People seem to get 1200 or so for them, and the URX II may be a hard sell because of installation difficulties. In my mind for whatever reason, used parts sounds worse than used factory build KAC upper.

jonconsiglio
09-26-11, 21:20
Ended up selling the complete bolt carrier group and barrel with gas block and gas tube for $650 shipped.

I see URX II's being sold all the time. I just saw one sell used the other day for $290... Which is pretty high considering they're selling for the low $300's now, though they used to be near $475 or so.

I'll mostly likely start it at $250 and take what I can get for it.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Jon

mtdawg169
09-26-11, 22:24
Ended up selling the complete bolt carrier group and barrel with gas block and gas tube for $650 shipped.

I see URX II's being sold all the time. I just saw one sell used the other day for $290... Which is pretty high considering they're selling for the low $300's now, though they used to be near $475 or so.

I'll mostly likely start it at $250 and take what I can get for it.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Jon

Wow, you did good Jon. Considering the rarity of the E3 bolt & barrel, I can't say I'm too surprised.