PDA

View Full Version : Modern Top Break Revolvers?

Fail-Safe
09-26-11, 19:01
Everytime I get the desire to own a revolver I am reminded that this is a right hand dominated world. Its not just the push or sliding button, but how the cylinders always swing out. To reload I have to break my firing grip. As a lefty, I have always wondered why top break, cartridge ejecting revolvers arent made. It seems they would be as close to ambidextrous as possible, and yet might be faster to reload.

Lets discuss.

Cerberus
09-26-11, 20:02
The nature of the modern revolver means reloading in a different manner than a semi-auto. I actually reload mine fastest using my firing hand to manipulate the speed loader.

RGoose
09-26-11, 20:12
I've asked this question before on another site. Why no modern break top revolvers? The answer I was given (by some very wise individuals) was that it is questionable whether or not the locking mechanism and hinge mechanism are up to the task of dealing with modern high pressure defensive loads. Could these limitations be overcome by modern materials and perhaps a new design? Probably. Is it going to be financially advantageous for weapons manufacturers to do so? Doubtful. Which is pretty sad because I've always liked the ambidextrous capability of the break top design, even though I'm a righty.

Eliakim
09-27-11, 18:48
There have been three recent producers in the past few years of the S&W Schofield top break revolver; Armi San Marco, Uberti and Smith & Wesson. I think Uberti is still offering them for Cowboy Action Shooting

Here is a link: http://www.uberti.com/firearms/top_break.php

brushy bill
09-27-11, 20:02
I have a distinct recollection of a gun rag from 80s or early 90s that prophesized a break open detonics that apparently never got off the ground. It was a single paragraph in an article on the Detonics .45 series, but it was something that piqued my interest.

dewatters
09-28-11, 15:57
I have a distinct recollection of a gun rag from 80s or early 90s that prophesized a break open detonics that apparently never got off the ground. It was a single paragraph in an article on the Detonics .45 series, but it was something that piqued my interest.

You remember correctly. It was a 7-shot .44 Magnum. Here is the patent: US Patent #4,539,771 - Handgun of the revolver type (http://www.google.com/patents?id=WHY3AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false).

Fail-Safe
09-28-11, 18:49
I've heard the whole "wont handle the pressures" excuse, and I have serious doubts. If we're talking .38spec, even +P there is no doubt in my mind that a modern lock could handle that.

What caused me to ask this was I was looking at the S&W .38spec Bodyguard. The way you go about releasing the cylinder looked like it could be adapted towards a top break.

Instead of the ejector swing open with the cylinder to be actuated, either a spring loaded ejected like a double barreled shotgun could eject 5 casings, and as the barrel tilts down, it falls back into position under gravity. Or instead of the small hand operated ejector, both the ejector and shroud (stippled, checkered, etc) is operated by the shooter.

brushy bill
09-28-11, 19:42
You remember correctly. It was a 7-shot .44 Magnum. Here is the patent: US Patent #4,539,771 - Handgun of the revolver type (http://www.google.com/patents?id=WHY3AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false).

Thanks for that. Good to know old memory is not completely gone.

Wonder why it never got off the ground.

Alaskapopo
09-28-11, 23:24
Everytime I get the desire to own a revolver I am reminded that this is a right hand dominated world. Its not just the push or sliding button, but how the cylinders always swing out. To reload I have to break my firing grip. As a lefty, I have always wondered why top break, cartridge ejecting revolvers arent made. It seems they would be as close to ambidextrous as possible, and yet might be faster to reload.

Lets discuss.

I think a break top revolver with moon clips would be great but frankly most revolver enthusiests don't like inovation if they did they would carry a semi auto. They like nostaliga. I am the same way to a degree. I carry semi's and shoot them the most because they are better tools for most jobs but I still like to break out a wheel gun once in a while for fun. I also think revolvers still have a role for back up guns. Nothing beats a J frame for power to weight ration and reliablity in a pocket pistol. Revolvers are also the best woods guns in bear country. No semi auto has the power needed in a size that is packable.
Pat

anachronism
09-30-11, 22:49
I'm left-handed, and learned from the start how to speed-load a revolver. There are many excellent left-handed revolver shooters out there. I also cross train right-handed a bit, but don't make it's my life work. I would think the manual of arms for speedloading a top-break would be more involved than simply transfering the revolver to the right hand while simultaneously releasing the cylinder and using the right thumb to pop the cylinder open. To try it out, go buy yourself an H&R 999 top break 22, there should be plenty on Gunbroker. You can get speedloaders for them. Live with the gun for a few months, shooting it a lot, and practice your reloads. Only this will tell you if a top break is really for you. Nobody elses opinion really matters.

DWood
10-01-11, 08:48
As to top break revolvers, S & W had a modern, limited run quite a while ago and they sold out quickly. I would not use one for self defense. The cowboy guns are not suitable for my needs either, but they are fun.

The fastest speed loader around is Jerry Miculek with his moon clipped S & W. I have not found a practical way to carry moon clips concealed. Most belt holders are designed for competition and are very bulky.

.............To reload I have to break my firing grip..........Lets discuss.

I don't see that you have a problem at all. Unless you are truly ambidextrous, you will have faster reloads manipulating the rounds with the strong hand VS the support hand. You have to "break" your grip.

Maintaining a firing grip is a moot point on a revolver with the cylinder swung open. It can't fire. Here is a good video showing the evolution of revolver speed loads. At 4:44 there is a good demo of left handed reloads on "right handed" revolvers. It may actually work well for you since the work space is right in front of you on your dominant side.

Speed strips are a little different since you will be more than likely "topping off" a few rounds when you can grab cover, rather than a full reload. They require more dexterity to use than a speed loader in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=oXUwI_d8JlA

Combat_Diver
04-18-12, 13:01
NAA has the new Ranger top break in .22 magnum and Charter Arms makes a left handed version of their 5 shot .38 small frame. I used to have a British Webley MkIV in .380 British (.38 S&W). That was a fun revolver to shoot.

CD

Artos
04-18-12, 13:22
Like 1911's, I 'think' it would be odd for me to deal with even a true reverse foot print of the modern wheel gun being a lefty...much less trying to learn new memory with a top break.

Just glad I'm right eye'd at this point.

TiroFijo
04-18-12, 13:34
The swing-out revolver is inherently stronger (for the same weight), and with practice you can reload it very fast. If you want, you can reload either with strong or weak hand. I doubt that Jerry Miculek would be faster with a top break revolver, he even uses the "dated" technique... (like myself)

In any case, the semiauto will always be faster to reload and will hold more bullets. I think there is not much experimentation with combat revolvers (as a main handgun) for the same reason there is not current development of electric typewriters: there is something better to use :D

gunnut284
04-20-12, 20:29
While I like the idea of a modern top break revolver and would probably buy one as a novelty I don't see it as a "game changer". And probably not even economically viable. But then again the same thing could have been said about the Taurus Judge and they apparently have been successful (from a sales side, I'm not endorsing the concept). With the right design it might be ok.

skyugo
04-24-12, 14:46
In any case, the semiauto will always be faster to reload and will hold more bullets. I think there is not much experimentation with combat revolvers (as a main handgun) for the same reason there is not current development of electric typewriters: there is something better to use :D

Though, I stand by my belief that in really small handguns, and really large (high power) ones, a revolver is the way to go.

TiroFijo
04-24-12, 16:19
Though, I stand by my belief that in really small handguns, and really large (high power) ones, a revolver is the way to go.

Yes, and that's why I said "combat revolvers as a main handgun".

Small revolvers as backup, sure... I'm not fan of small guns for defense, but can see the use of J-frames for this. And yes, if you have nothing else this small gun is your primary handgun, but I would prefer not to rely on it for this role.

The big revolvers (N-frame, redhawk, etc.) IMO are not really combat guns but more suited for hunting or defense against large animals. I completely agree they are the best host for calibers such as 44 mag and up.

Make no mistake, I still like my revolvers :)

Noodles
05-20-12, 10:41
Even if Izmesh would have made it we still couldnt have bought them :(

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/russia/revolver/1287753538.jpg