PDA

View Full Version : Premium .308 AR or a SCAR?

Eurodriver
09-27-11, 18:22
Now that my AR15 collection is pretty well rounded, I am looking into a semi-auto .308.

I really like the SCAR 17, but I'm not a fan of virtually non existent magazines and parts. If I could find them, 10 spare magazines would be almost $500. Cost is near $3,000 for the rifle.

Then there are the Noveske N6, Larue OBR/PredatAR, etc which are all around the $3,000 mark as well but magazines are relatively easy to find and inexpensive. I am just looking for a weekend blaster, are these worth the increase in price over say an Armalite AR10?

And of course I could always get an M1A Socom for $1,500 and call it a day. Mags are everywhere and it would certainly do for range outings every now and then. Downside is lack of optic compatibility and modularity.

What would/did you do?

Belmont31R
09-27-11, 19:06
One reason I went with the SR25 pattern gun is because it has the same operation as an AR. Up to you if you want to learn another system. Also with the SR25 pattern there are Magpul mags which are only $20 each.

Id like a SCAR-H but don't like the short rail they put on them with about 8" of barrel and flash hider sticking out there. Like you I would also not be thrilled with such expensive magazines that are not interchangeable with the 25 or so SR25 magazines I already have. Id want at least 10 range mags and 10 SHTF magazines kept loaded which would cost me $1000 dollars just for magazines to go with a SCAR. Magazine cost is one thing I take into consideration when buying a gun, and I simply refuse to pay dumb prices for them.

zacbol
09-27-11, 19:28
It really depends on why you perceive the need for a .308 in the first place. If it's purely the range/ballistics of the .308, then an AR pattern rifle might be your best bet. For me, it was more about getting something "different". Part of that difference was having a rifle chambered in a different caliber. But that alone wasn't enough to get me excited. I already have a couple ARs. I wanted something fundamentally different.

So, of my possibilities the SCAR was the most interesting--though I briefly considered a FAL. The magazine and spare parts availability is a big downside. I was lucky enough to snag 11 extra mags (I have a total of 12) at a fairly reasonable price. It was/is a concern, though, and I could see that as reason to not grab one.

I don't regret choosing the SCAR at all, though, and don't have the slightest sense of regret or envy when I see postings about how great the PredatAR (or its brethren) are. I ran my 17 at a recent carbine class and really enjoyed how different it was, it wasn't limited to dealing with more weight/recoil.

wetidlerjr
09-28-11, 03:37
I already had an M1A(USGI barrel, trigger group, op rod, etc) so I just put it in a Troy MCS chassis and swapped out the FH/bayonet mount for a Vortex. It cost me less than buying a AR style .308 and I could use all kinds of AR add-ons. YMMV :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/wetidlerjr/Colt%201911/M14MCS030710004.jpg

Works for me. :D

Rydiak
09-28-11, 10:28
+1 for the Troy Industries MCS!

http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=9882&stc=1&d=1317223636

Abraxas
09-28-11, 10:32
Other than mag availability, I love my SCAR. YMMV

Kchen986
09-28-11, 11:02
IMHO, the 7.62 ARs' primary strength is the inherent accuracy. If you want to build an accurate long range semi-auto, the .308 AR is the way to go.

If you want a lightweight, ergonomic, and pretty accurate 7.62 tactical carbine, then go with the SCAR.

FWIW: I have a .308 AR as a precision gun, and a FAL as a 7.62 Main Battle Rifle.

B Cart
09-28-11, 12:34
IMHO, the 7.62 ARs' primary strength is the inherent accuracy. If you want to build an accurate long range semi-auto, the .308 AR is the way to go.

If you want a lightweight, ergonomic, and pretty accurate 7.62 tactical carbine, then go with the SCAR.

THIS ^^^^^!! IMO, the above statement sums it up perfectly

BaronFitz
09-28-11, 16:09
I love my SCAR 17, but like an earlier poster, I wanted something fundamentally different from the AR platform, and not a FAL, M1 or G3.

If you're just looking to be able to put .308 on target accurately, I would get the Larue Pred in 7.62. You can get it with a Geissele trigger already installed, get $20 PMAGs, and rock on for less than a SCAR 17. In order to make my SCAR half decent, I had to dremel the grip tang to fit a MIAD grip, install a Geissele Super SCAR trigger (rare and stupid expensive compared to their AR triggers, but worth every penny), and I'm currently limited to three mags (though supposedly my Midway backorder might come in sometime at the end of next month).

That said, I took it apart to clean it for the first time this week, and it's a breeze to clean without all the crap getting dumped back into the chamber. Certainly not something I would have gotten with the Larue. :D

KhanRad
09-28-11, 16:38
My agency got us a few LaRue 16" PredatARs to try out as patrol rifles:
http://www.laruetactical.com/16”-larue-tactical-predatar-762

So far I have been very impressed with them. The quality is excellent, inside and out. The weight is just as light as my BCM 16" middy, with slightly more rear weight due to the .308 action.....so it actually balances better. Performance?.....it goes bang every time and does 1 MOA at 100yrds. It's very controllable, and I could get easy double taps with the A2 muzzle attachement. With a Battle Comp, I'm betting it would be even easier.

The big advantage of going to a AR style .308 is identical controls to the AR-15. The LaRue also uses SR-25 magazines, so it will accept good ole PMAGs which the SCAR will not do.

Eurodriver
09-28-11, 19:54

I should have been more specific. I am taken care of in the long range department. I want a big caliber blaster in a tactical, user friendly package, exactly why most people seem to choose the SCAR.

The SCAR seems ideal for this, but again, the M1A is really sticking out at half the price. If it were a bit more modular (specifically, getting rid of that stupid muzzle brake) I would already have one.

I like the controls of the AR-10, but I want something different. I'm a bit sick of ARs right now and since this will be an entirely new caliber that isn't going to be used for serious social work switching to something new isn't necessarily an issue.

What would be the benefits to a SCAR over an M1A aside from mounting optics?

What about G3s and FALs? I hadn't really considered either as I wanted something a bit lighter and more compact. Is there a good way to mount an optic to either of them? I have a spare ACOG that would be right at home on a .308 battle rifle.

Belmont31R
09-28-11, 20:02
I should have been more specific. I am taken care of in the long range department. I want a big caliber blaster in a tactical, user friendly package, exactly why most people seem to choose the SCAR.

The SCAR seems ideal for this, but again, the M1A is really sticking out at half the price. If it were a bit more modular (specifically, getting rid of that stupid muzzle brake) I would already have one.

I like the controls of the AR-10, but I want something different. I'm a bit sick of ARs right now and since this will be an entirely new caliber that isn't going to be used for serious social work switching to something new isn't necessarily an issue.

What would be the benefits to a SCAR over an M1A aside from mounting optics?

What about G3s and FALs? I hadn't really considered either as I wanted something a bit lighter and more compact. Is there a good way to mount an optic to either of them? I have a spare ACOG that would be right at home on a .308 battle rifle.

The issue with current production M1A's is they are made with current production parts which suck. You would have to spend a lot of money getting an M1A up to "old issue snuff" because they have become commercial guns, and parts for them are not going to be around forever. That is a big problem, and only going to become worse as time goes on with guns of the past. The original parts were quality made, and like most anything else, the stuff made today is junk in comparison.

I think the SCAR would be a good choice for you if you can stomach the mag prices and parts issue. I wouldn't mind having one, and Ive actually been on the semi look out for a real 308 blaster. I have an EMC which I don't want to treat that way because thats not what it was made for, and Im not going to turn a gun capable of sub MOA 10 shot groups into that type of gun.

Kchen986
09-28-11, 20:38
With all due respect to all the skilled shooters who make the M1A sing:

I don't like the M1A/M14 very much. When I owned my National Match, it was a 1.5 MOA rifle at best (and cost more than my sub moa AR10). The safety was in the trigger guard, and when practicing handling the rifle dry, I'd occasionally pull the trigger when I went to rapidly disengage the safety. Training issue? Probably. But safety in the trigger well is a big no go.

Bolt release. Unless you upgraded, the only bolt release was by sling-shotting the charging handle. So it's sort of like an AK--you can use your shooting hand or you can come over or under. I wanted a ping pong paddle.

You've already covered the scope mounts sucking.

The gun was also unbelieveably front heavy. Perhaps it was my heavy barrel, but my gun was definitely NOT a tactical blaster. In comparison, I find my FAL with the same barrel length to be much handier (lighter profile barrel though).

Take-down also sucked. Perhaps only because I did it a couple of times. And I wasn't supposed to take apart my M1A national match. It took a lot of force to unhinge the trigger guard in order to begin take down. Not like the simple push-pin of the SCAR.

Honestly, if you're an AR guy and you want something non-AR but close enough that you can pick up the gun and rock-n-roll without too big of a change in your manual of arms, the SCAR is the way to go. I personally did not like the SCAR's height over bore, or how "tall" the gun felt, but it's very intuitive and ergonomic to an AR user.

If you can afford it, I think the SCAR is the next generation 7.62 main battle rifle.

====================

The FAL. I like it. It's not nearly as accurate as the SCAR though. I really like the controls, the bolt release, the charging handle, the take down lever. Slap a railed dust cover on there and you can mount reflex optics.

However, the trigger (usually) sucks, the mag release is still a rock-out type instead of push button. Folding style "para" models lose their ergonomics (or so i hear), and, as stated before, the accuracy department leaves most people wanting.

I treat my FAL like a beat up pick up truck, and my (sold) SCAR like a Range Rover.

/rant off. Hope this helps.

wetidlerjr
09-29-11, 00:27
The issue with current production M1A's is they are made with current production parts which suck. You would have to spend a lot of money getting an M1A up to "old issue snuff" because they have become commercial guns, and parts for them are not going to be around forever...

My M1A (which I picked up 10 years ago) has virtually 100% USGI parts (except receiver) so that's not an issue for me.

With all due respect to all the skilled shooters who make the M1A sing...

Thanks but don't be unhappy as I put mine in a Troy MCS chassis for mainly financial reasons. An AR-style .308 wasn't a "must-have" for me but the option of using many of the AR add-ons available on my M1A was a plus. Also, it was a good upgrade to the M-14 style as it made mounting of various scopes much easier. It's not a SCAR 17 or an AR10 but it wasn't meant to be. It's mine and I'm happy which, in the end, is all that matters to me. :laugh:

Alaskapopo
09-29-11, 02:58

FWIW: I have a .308 AR as a precision gun, and a FAL as a 7.62 Main Battle Rifle.

The problem I see with that is your using two different weapons platforms which complicates training. Better in my opinion to stick with one action type and set of controls.
Pat

Eurodriver
09-29-11, 06:00
I think I've narrowed it down to the PredatAR and the SCAR. Price is almost the same. Lots of pros and cons to weigh on both sides.

snackgunner
09-29-11, 06:51
What about the Colt SP901?

Its looks like a good option for a 7.62 AR. Is there any reason others havnt mentioned it? Because it has not been released and proven yet?

Just curious.

zacbol
09-29-11, 09:40
What about the Colt SP901?

Its looks like a good option for a 7.62 AR. Is there any reason others havnt mentioned it? Because it has not been released and proven yet?

Just curious.
Guessing for the same reason he didn't mention the MWS: they're both pretty heavy relative to the SCAR or PredatAR.

KhanRad
09-29-11, 10:03
I think I've narrowed it down to the PredatAR and the SCAR. Price is almost the same. Lots of pros and cons to weigh on both sides.

Some other pros for the LaRue I forget to mention is that it uses a LOT of standard AR-15 parts and accessories. The rail height is identical to the AR-15 so that you can use the same mount height for optics and iron sights. It also uses AR-15 buffers(comes with H2 buffer), and then of course it uses many other standard parts like AR-15 trigger assembles, and AR-15 furniture. So, you have MANY more options to fit the rifle to your needs. The SCAR has very few options for parts upgrades, furniture, and other accessories.

The LaRue is one of the best made AR-type platforms I've ever handled. It utilizes many features that Stoner originally intended for the rifle to have. Many AR-10 designs disreguarded some of those features to reduce manufacturing costs. It uses a chrome lined bore and chamber, a chrome lined bolt carrier assembly(and bolt), staking at all the needed areas, improved feed ramps,....etc. I thought the rifle would get a lot more dirty during firing, but I was suprised how well the chrome lining of the BCG kept carbon from sticking to parts. For me, I definately like the LaRue over the SCAR.

C4IGrant
09-29-11, 10:12
Now that my AR15 collection is pretty well rounded, I am looking into a semi-auto .308.

I really like the SCAR 17, but I'm not a fan of virtually non existent magazines and parts. If I could find them, 10 spare magazines would be almost $500. Cost is near $3,000 for the rifle.

Then there are the Noveske N6, Larue OBR/PredatAR, etc which are all around the $3,000 mark as well but magazines are relatively easy to find and inexpensive. I am just looking for a weekend blaster, are these worth the increase in price over say an Armalite AR10?

And of course I could always get an M1A Socom for $1,500 and call it a day. Mags are everywhere and it would certainly do for range outings every now and then. Downside is lack of optic compatibility and modularity.

What would/did you do?

I would wait for the Colt SP901 to come out later this year and then decide. Me thinks that it will be the best deal around.

C4

QuietShootr
09-29-11, 10:22
I'd like to try a 16" PredatAR just to see how it compares side-by-side to the SCAR. $15 magazines are quite appealing.

Javelin
09-29-11, 10:23
I like the idea of a short barrel SCAR 17 personally.

armakraut
09-29-11, 11:54
I would wait for the Colt SP901 to come out later this year and then decide. Me thinks that it will be the best deal around.

C4

This.

KhanRad
09-29-11, 12:05

C4

It looks like the Colt will once again be setup similar to the LMT MWS with a heavy barrel and approaching 10lbs stripped of accessories. It "appears" to have a midlength gas system......it the specs don't say either way.

The only advantage I see the Colt having over the LaRue is a forward assist. Otherwise, I'd say the LaRue is superior.

Turnkey11
09-29-11, 13:09
I like the idea of a short barrel SCAR 17 personally.

When I get one itll be form 1'ed just like my SCAR 16 was and chopped to CQC length. I think a 13" SCAR 17 with KAC's new can and MAMS compensator will make for a nice 7.62 blaster.

Belmont31R
09-29-11, 13:15
When I get one itll be form 1'ed just like my SCAR 16 was and chopped to CQC length. I think a 13" SCAR 17 with KAC's new can and MAMS compensator will make for a nice 7.62 blaster.

Will the SCAR barrel be able to be threaded to 3/4x24?

dirt_diver
09-29-11, 15:52
My vote is for the SCAR.
That said, it does have a whole lot of barrel hanging out, and as someone in a state that frowns upon evil SBR's, that's annoying to say the least.

Eurodriver
09-29-11, 19:52

C4

I'm worried that the Colt will probably weigh a metric shit ton, what does the Predatar weigh? 7 lbs or so?

I would, however, be all over it if the price was less than $2,000, given that the 6920 is near $1,100 I don't see that happening.

I'm leaning more towards the PredatAR. I like parts and magazine availability. The SCAR has the neat factor for sure, but I am really only interested in practical setups, and the 6" of handguard space is a bit of a pain.

armakraut
09-29-11, 21:25
I'm guessing the SP901 configuration pictured is some sort of weird photoshop. That configuration would be like trying to run a dissipator with a rifle length gas system. I'm guessing the production version will be a midlength gas system that looks exactly like the CM901/SP901's that have been shown/demoed and have the same barrel (IE be just as lightweight).

KG_mauserman
09-29-11, 22:01
I would go for the Predatar because you can find mags cheap and easy. If the only thing that is holding you back from the SCAR is rail space get one of the rail extensions that are out there. The PWS rail extention is top notch. I have one on my SCAR 16s and would highly recomend it.

Turnkey11
09-29-11, 23:54
Will the SCAR barrel be able to be threaded to 3/4x24?

Most likely be 5/8x24 from the factory. Cut down by a third party it can be threaded to any thread pitch you can get a die for.

C4IGrant
09-30-11, 08:26
I'm worried that the Colt will probably weigh a metric shit ton, what does the Predatar weigh? 7 lbs or so?

I would, however, be all over it if the price was less than $2,000, given that the 6920 is near $1,100 I don't see that happening.

I'm leaning more towards the PredatAR. I like parts and magazine availability. The SCAR has the neat factor for sure, but I am really only interested in practical setups, and the 6" of handguard space is a bit of a pain.

It should weigh under 10LBS. This is not heavy for what you get IMHO.

Price should be near/close to $2K I think.

C4

jhs1969
09-30-11, 10:03
Although I have no plans to obtain a semi .308 in the near future, I have found the LMT offering appealing. Any thoughts on this?

Turnkey11
09-30-11, 11:34
Although I have no plans to obtain a semi .308 in the near future, I have found the LMT offering appealing. Any thoughts on this?

Its second on my list to the SCAR. I dont really need the barrel change feature but like the fact it accepts PMags. It seems to be working well for the Brits.

JPB
09-30-11, 14:07
Its second on my list to the SCAR. I dont really need the barrel change feature but like the fact it accepts PMags. It seems to be working well for the Brits.

Just curious why you would invest in all that extra infrastructure (read weight) if you have no need for the barrel change feature. That's really the trade space with the MWS, only exacerbated by the fact that LMT offers only heavy profiled barrels. Monolithic clamping receiver = heavy. Large steel barrel extension interface = heavy. Heavy barrels, by definition = heavy. Doesn't sound like you need any of this.
I'd really like to see an MWS go head to head with an PredatAR from an accuracy standpoint. I think that folks comparing the MWS and the SCAR are missing the intended role for these rifles. The PredatAR is the only rifle that appears to be able to fill both roles. Oh, and the PerdatAR also takes PMags.

Eurodriver
09-30-11, 20:17
Just curious why you would invest in all that extra infrastructure (read weight) if you have no need for the barrel change feature. That's really the trade space with the MWS, only exacerbated by the fact that LMT offers only heavy profiled barrels. Monolithic clamping receiver = heavy. Large steel barrel extension interface = heavy. Heavy barrels, by definition = heavy. Doesn't sound like you need any of this.
I'd really like to see an MWS go head to head with an PredatAR from an accuracy standpoint. I think that folks comparing the MWS and the SCAR are missing the intended role for these rifles. The PredatAR is the only rifle that appears to be able to fill both roles. Oh, and the PerdatAR also takes PMags.

I agree. By all accounts, the PredatAR seems it will shoot a solid 1.5 MOA all day long, even with a warm barrel. Thats more than accurate enough for what I want.

All this talk about fancy doo-dads is getting a little ridiculous. Seems everyone wants the newest, latest and greatest platform because...well because its new. Why the hell do I need to quickly disconnect my barrel?

PredatAR: 7.75lbs
SCAR 17: 7.9lbs

LMT MWS: 10.2lbs (that means with a decent optic and light you are looking at almost 13 pounds)

All the other 7.62 semi autos appear to be just as heavy. The OBR, the Colt (that isnt even released yet) and others all are over ten pounds.

I want a rifle that is made on whats practical, not made on what sells to Fudd shooters. I don't need 0.25 MOA out of a battle rifle and I don't want my rifle to be heavier than an M1 Garand.

Unless I can somehow score a serious deal on SCAR mags, it will be the Larue.

armakraut
09-30-11, 22:11
You could probably get 2 pounds shaved off the lousy barrel they put on the LMT... easy.

QuietShootr
09-30-11, 22:14
You could probably get 2 pounds shaved off the lousy barrel they put on the LMT... easy.

No, you can't. I had ADCO reprofile mine and it wound up being about 5 ounces lighter. Totally not worth it. The weight is in that heavy-ass barrel extension. If you could get one out of Ti it might be ok.

I'll continue on with my SCAR for the moment.

armakraut
09-30-11, 22:16
How much of a reprofile did you do?

grimm
09-30-11, 23:05

Belmont31R
09-30-11, 23:13

Overweight unless you plan on switching barrels out like people decide which pair of pants to wear on what day.

Turnkey11
09-30-11, 23:27
No, you can't. I had ADCO reprofile mine and it wound up being about 5 ounces lighter. Totally not worth it. The weight is in that heavy-ass barrel extension. If you could get one out of Ti it might be ok.

I'll continue on with my SCAR for the moment.

Thanks for the info, LMT just made the no-go list.

mstennes
10-01-11, 20:28
So you can swap out a mil spec 223/556 upper on it? Hmmmm, what mags though will it use? KAC format or something else?

Hootiewho
10-03-11, 15:57
It really depends on what your end use/mission is. I am as big a SCAR 17 fan as they come, but I will also be the first to admit it is a battle rifle. If you want .3 MOA, then check out the OBR. If you want a lightweight, tested, proven, in service, goes bang every damn time and is usually a 2 MOA or less battle rifle in 7.62x51, go the 17S. As posted before, I chopped mine. I do not personally see the need to have it any longer than 13". It does everything I could ask of it. I do whole heartedly support Mr. Larue and his products, so you have to make a list of needs and go from there. If accuracy is high up there, look at the OBR or pray the Mk20 will be released.

My Baby....
Folds up as short as a HK MP5-PDW extended...
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/hootiewho6933/scarhmp5.jpg
Extended is roughly the same size as a mil spec M4..
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/hootiewho6933/DSC01457-1.jpg
and is just sickly badass....
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/hootiewho6933/DSC01451-1.jpg

carbinero
10-05-11, 19:23
It should weigh under 10LBS. This is not heavy for what you get IMHO.

Price should be near/close to $2K I think.

C4

If you don't have to take delivery right now, it doesn't make sense not to wait and see what Colt has to offer.

Eurodriver
10-08-11, 06:49
I just got a huge chunk of change in this morning. Cost is now no issue.

I am still feeling the Larue simply for magazine availability, but SCARs definitely have that cool factor.

I did handle some M1As yesterday, they are definitely out. As are FALs and G3s. Just not interested.

I'm not rushing anything, but I'd like to decide on this soon.

Going price on the SCARs locally and online is about $2,800.

For $2800 I can get the Larue 16" Predatar and ten magazines.

If you don't have to take delivery right now, it doesn't make sense not to wait and see what Colt has to offer.

I have seen the prototypes and it looks like most other Colt civilian offerings - Stupid. Why the need to take 5.56 and 7.62 magazines?

carbinero
10-08-11, 11:39
I just got a huge chunk of change in this morning. Cost is now no issue.

I am still feeling the Larue simply for magazine availability, but SCARs definitely have that cool factor.

I did handle some M1As yesterday, they are definitely out. As are FALs and G3s. Just not interested.

I'm not rushing anything, but I'd like to decide on this soon.

Going price on the SCARs locally and online is about $2,800.

For $2800 I can get the Larue 16" Predatar and ten magazines.

I have seen the prototypes and it looks like most other Colt civilian offerings - Stupid. Why the need to take 5.56 and 7.62 magazines?

Well, you know what they say about "if you have to ask." Anyhow, are you also considering the GAP-10?

Eurodriver
10-11-11, 20:25
After researching I have narrowed it down to the LaRue Predatar 7.62 and the SCAR 17S.

If anyone can chime in, I'd appreciate it.

Priorities:

Weight
Reliability
Spare parts/magazines
Cost
Modularity
(Notice that accuracy is not on this list, and that weight is #1)

The Larue gives me the option of using cheap PMAGs, I am very familiar with the platform, I can order spare parts from Larue, and from what I've read it is extremely reliable. Mounting optics, flashlights, etc is easily accomplished.

The SCAR has all of the above with the exception of the magazine availability. I think that is the only thing I don't like about it.

Anyone have something I am not considering?

KhanRad
10-11-11, 20:49
The LaRue has a true abidex charging handle which can be easily operated with either hand and does not have to be stripped and swapped around. Plus, if you never fired a SCAR, the reciprocating charging handle limits handholds. Most right handed guys run their SCARS with the CH on the right side so that you can use a magwell grip and not get bashed with the CH. However, if you have to shoot weak side barricade and switch shoulders, you run into the dilema of having the CH bash your hand again.

Don't forget about Grant's information on how SCAR 16s are beating the hell out of electronics. I'm sure the SCAR 17 is even worse.

Eurodriver
10-11-11, 21:09
The LaRue has a true abidex charging handle which can be easily operated with either hand and does not have to be stripped and swapped around. Plus, if you never fired a SCAR, the reciprocating charging handle limits handholds. Most right handed guys run their SCARS with the CH on the right side so that you can use a magwell grip and not get bashed with the CH. However, if you have to shoot weak side barricade and switch shoulders, you run into the dilema of having the CH bash your hand again.

Don't forget about Grant's information on how SCAR 16s are beating the hell out of electronics. I'm sure the SCAR 17 is even worse.

I am really sold on the Larue, but when I called larue they told me there was a 4 week wait. All things I have seen indicate a 16 week wait (arfcom threads). Thats a little excessive.

KhanRad
10-11-11, 21:14
I am really sold on the Larue, but when I called larue they told me there was a 4 week wait. All things I have seen indicate a 16 week wait (arfcom threads). Thats a little excessive.

The half dozen we ordered arrived at around the 4-week mark. Plus, if you are "sold" on the LaRue, buying your second choice WILL give you regrets.

Eurodriver
10-11-11, 21:27
The half dozen we ordered arrived at around the 4-week mark. Plus, if you are "sold" on the LaRue, buying your second choice WILL give you regrets.

Wanna sell me one? :p

KhanRad
10-11-11, 21:29
Wanna sell me one? :p

Govt property. It has to be destroyed, or transfered within the Federal govt if we decide to get rid of them.:D

zacbol
10-11-11, 22:18

I have not seen widespread reports of right- handers moving the charging handle to the right side. I definitely saw no need to and have had no issues with the reciprocating charging handle. Besides, if you're still using a magwell grip, I think the charging handle bashing into your hand is as good a reason as any to update your technique to something not inspired by the MP5. Additionally, it's easy to make the SCAR have an ambi-handle, there are holes on each side, you just pop an extra charging handle on it. So, I don't see the Larue offering anything compelling that the SCAR doesn't there.

Hootiewho
10-12-11, 10:55
After researching I have narrowed it down to the LaRue Predatar 7.62 and the SCAR 17S.

If anyone can chime in, I'd appreciate it.

Priorities:

Weight
Reliability
Spare parts/magazines
Cost
Modularity
(Notice that accuracy is not on this list, and that weight is #1)

The Larue gives me the option of using cheap PMAGs, I am very familiar with the platform, I can order spare parts from Larue, and from what I've read it is extremely reliable. Mounting optics, flashlights, etc is easily accomplished.

The SCAR has all of the above with the exception of the magazine availability. I think that is the only thing I don't like about it.

Anyone have something I am not considering?

It is my understanding, and this came from someone inside the circle of FN Friends, nearly all currently produced SCAR H mags are going overseas. I have a 17. I have paid gunbroker prices for most of the 17 mags I have. That is fine by me as the mags that are being made are going where they NEED to be used. Sooner or later, the supply will catch up.

DocGKR
10-12-11, 11:14
If I lived in a real state, I'd likely purchase two identical 16" barrel KAC EMC's or LaRue's and be done with my rifle needs...

Hootiewho
10-12-11, 11:44
If I lived in a real state, I'd likely purchase two identical 16" barrel KAC EMC's or LaRue's and be done with my rifle needs...

If you would like to buy them and keep them "stored" at my house until you retire and move out from that evil place to God's Country, here in SC, I'll be more than happy to look after them for you.

You can come shoot them on my private range any time you wish:)

DocGKR
10-12-11, 22:22
I truly appreciate your kind offer, as well as those from my friends in Texas--however I must point out that any place with the moniker "God's Country" by definition must have glorious mountains with light fluffy deep snow...