PDA

View Full Version : Hows This for a Deal? (PSA Patrol Carbine)

saddlerocker
09-27-11, 18:25
I hate to post good deals here, but there's no where else to put them.
Plus id like to hear if anyone has any ideas why they are cheap.
Everything seems on the up and up, any suspicions about where they might be cutting costs?

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2557.php
An Aimpoint PRO (retails for $400) Plus a Hammer forged FN "Machine Gun Steel" barrel.
The BCG is all up to spec
MBUS

Only thing its lacking is an H buffer
I personally dont like the M4 barrel or a carbine gas system, but its basically $600 for the rifle and $400 for the optic

Someone must have a heck of a relationship with someone at FN.
Or they are just barely making a profit in order to gain popularity and market share.

Thoughts?

Pork Chop
09-27-11, 19:10
I think it's a combination of things, but I don't believe cutting corners is one of them. I have read & personally been told by PSA that they are working with FN (they're both in Columbia, SC.) to establish a quality product line. I would expect prices to increase at some point but their products seem to be high quality.

I recently finished an all PSA middy with a CHF FN barrel and so far I'm very happy with it. It meets all the specs & testing and has all the testing marks. Fit & finish is excellent & it functions perfectly. I can find no cut corners at this point to report.

FYI, if you ask, they'll sub in any buffer you like. I got an H with mine at no additional charge.

Stan9106
09-27-11, 19:13
I have a PSA upper I'm very pleased with. I could think of many worse ways to spend $1k on a rifle.

m4brian
09-27-11, 19:18
Wish they were putting out lightweights, but I'll admit, having CHF barrels at that price is nice.

Has ANYONE out there dome some extensive shooting and can report on accuracy, reliability?

snackgunner
09-27-11, 19:40
I have no idea about PSA rifles and their parts, so this is strictly my opinion.

For $600, I think youd have yourself a nice rifle for plinking. You could sell the Aimpoint Pro for $400 if your tight on cash.

I think with the questions everyone is asking here, which are the same questions I see in other threads talking about PSA uppers, bcg's ect., many obviously dont know enough about this rifle and the quality of its parts, for a person to trust their life with it. So IMO, like I said this rifle would be good for a new shooter for the range. If you want a rifle to trust your life with, spend a couple hundred more and get a Colt, BCM, DD.

Javelin
09-27-11, 19:46
It looks like a really good deal!

Pork Chop
09-27-11, 20:00
Wish they were putting out lightweights, but I'll admit, having CHF barrels at that price is nice.

Has ANYONE out there dome some extensive shooting and can report on accuracy, reliability?

Do you consider 500 rnds extensive?:D

I've only had it out once and put 500 through it. No issues with five different types of ammo. No real accuracy tests but, from a sandbag I got roughly 2"-3" 20 rnd groups with iron sights @ 50 yds. Will put it on a rest and check it properly next outing.

saddlerocker
09-27-11, 20:14
one of the issues with PSA is that they sell a range of parts in terms of quality, so when people review their PSA upper or gun, they usually dont mention if its a 4140 barrel and the standard BCG, or a 4150 or HF barrel and their Premium BCG.

it will be a while before people have alot of rounds through alot of guns and even then people will have to be aware of what parts are being talked about.

Id love for PSA to give a few guns like this, or better yet one of their FN barreled mid-lengths to Rob or some other respected training group to put through some paces.

Kfgk14
09-27-11, 20:16
They're offering a 20" hammer-forged barreled upper for $500 as well, I'm thoroughly in love. I'm going to get one eventually and swap on a low-pro gas block, a 13" Troy Alpha, and put an MBUS on it.

Put it on a lower with an A5 and a Spike's Enhanced LPK, and a 1-6x scope (sling and light of course, that's a given) and you have my ideal war-ready rifle. It almost sounds too good, but in the future, I'm going to invest in one.

Pork Chop
09-27-11, 20:19
one of the issues with PSA is that they sell a range of parts in terms of quality, so when people review their PSA upper or gun, they usually dont mention if its a 4140 barrel and the standard BCG, or a 4150 or HF barrel and their Premium BCG.

it will be a while before people have alot of rounds through alot of guns and even then people will have to be aware of what parts are being talked about.

Id love for PSA to give a few guns like this, or better yet one of their FN barreled mid-lengths to Rob or some other respected training group to put through some paces.

I believe all complete uppers come standard with premium BCG. Mine did, and it is listed on their website.

VLODPG
09-27-11, 21:30
Sounds like a great deal.

I have one of their uppers for a training gun w/slightly over 2k rds on it!

I would buy it again!

crazymoose
09-28-11, 03:21
Pure speculation, but they're in very close proximity to FN, and FN is set up to put out some major volume, and is probably happy to have side customers. Seems like economics of scale combined with low transportation costs.

steelonsteel
09-28-11, 07:49
I've got one of thier 20" uppers coming - I'll plan an a very thorough pic heavy review, and another review after I get a good deal of rounds downrange.

lamarbrog
09-28-11, 08:47
If you look at my inspection of the upper I received, you'll see that I take note of an "F" on my extractor.

On another board, a member with a known FN bolt carrier group has stated that he, too, has an "F" on his extractor.

Now, maybe this is some proof mark that has not yet hit the mainstream, and in six months everyone will by looking for a new "F-marked extractor". ... I doubt that, though.

It leads me to believe that PSA is using an FN extractor, which probably means the whole bolt carrier group comes from FN.

So, the barrel is definitely FN. The BCG is speculated, with some evidence, to be sourced from FN. That basically leaves us the upper receiver, the charging handle, and various other "small parts". The upper receiver is forged, and shows no signs of being out of spec in machining or finish. The charging handle is forged, and appears functional in every way. The various "small parts" don't appear to be abnormal, aside from a strange choice of handguard cap.

Near as I can tell, as far as functionality goes, it's an FN upper assembled by PSA.

PalmettoStateArmory
09-28-11, 08:59
I believe all complete uppers come standard with premium BCG. Mine did, and it is listed on their website.

That is correct. All of our complete uppers come with a premium BCG.

Pork Chop
09-28-11, 10:25
That is correct. All of our complete uppers come with a premium BCG.

Thank you.

Nothing starts a day off better than being right.:D

philipeggo
09-28-11, 11:29
This is a pretty sweet deal on a what looks to be a top tier rifle . I wonder if they would sell the carbine without the aimpoint ? Probably not but i would def buy one . I am eyeing them since i want to finish a lower i have with one of their premium kits . For 520 you get everything you need to finish building a lower . At this point youd be silly to not buy one .

PalmettoStateArmory
09-28-11, 11:41
This is a pretty sweet deal on a what looks to be a top tier rifle . I wonder if they would sell the carbine without the aimpoint ? Probably not but i would def buy one . I am eyeing them since i want to finish a lower i have with one of their premium kits . For 520 you get everything you need to finish building a lower . At this point youd be silly to not buy one .

We may have another option without optics in the future, but this rifle is currently only offered as shown.

TonyTacoma
09-28-11, 15:09
Damn looks like a pretty good deal :big_boss: