PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the FSB off....HELP...

polydeuces
09-27-11, 18:25
Can't get the f@#*in pins to move. Busted up 2 punches, my hand, and the pos just won't move - I am soooooo pissed!
WHY is it mounted so UN-BE-LIEVABLY tight...?
I'd love any real suggestions - or where to send it - I think I may have met my match. This thing is NOT moving.
(Unfortunately no I don't have hollow ground punches - which i don't think would help with this one....).
And I really need the fsb gone.
Thanks.

Eric D.
09-27-11, 18:52
What are you using to support the FSB? Are you working on a solid surface? Try some penetrating oil and make sure you swing that hammer swift and hard. Not to insult your intelligence but make sure you are driving the pins the right way.

The taper pin punch from Brownell's is very handy.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26485/Product/TAPER_PIN_STARTER

polydeuces
09-27-11, 18:58
Right tools for the job may be the answer.
Will give it a shot, see what happens. Will post result.

polymorpheous
09-27-11, 19:47
5/16 punch, 5lb sledge, the block end of my vice.
2 whacks a piece and they were both out.

SeriousStudent
09-27-11, 20:02
Eric D's suggestion about using something like Kroil is a good one. I have had a lot of luck with that.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7610/Product/KROIL

And a 5-pound sledge, used in conjunction with a Brownell's FSB block.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20727/Product/AR_15_FRONT_SIGHT_BENCH_BLOCK

You work on this stuff long enough, and you'll become a shareholder in Brownell's. ;)

polydeuces
09-27-11, 20:34
I'd have to sell my stock of Noveske, Midway, DD, BCM, russian cheap ammo and vodka first...
But I get the point; hollow ground hard punch, sledgehammer.
Anyone has a FSB block I can borrow? Not planning on ever getting anything with an FSB attached ever again...

Eric D.
09-27-11, 21:19
Jesus tapdancing christ, a five lb sledge? :eek: I like my 8oz ballpeen :cool:

OP, just curious, why no love for the fixed fsb?

polydeuces
09-27-11, 21:49
Gets in the way of everything i put on there. Flip up front sight has really grown on me - nice clean sight picture.
Maybe a severe case of ADD...:laugh:

Iraqgunz
09-27-11, 23:55
Heat up the area in question and use Kroil or similar and allow it to penetrate the area. Make sure you are hitting the pins the right direction. I secure mine with barrel jaws and then use a blunt punch and hit the pins to get them started.

Once they move I then get the correct size and using a standard 8 oz. hammer I smack the pins until they come out. 99% of the time it has been a non-issue.

Tweak
09-28-11, 01:01
From a doc from long ago, HTH.

FSB Removal (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DXhkwxPdbO48WoCXlDxU6j6jp_T83psNvjRe30FirwY/edit?hl=en_US)

polydeuces
09-28-11, 08:49
Thanks - appreciate it.
Going to order a dedicated punch and block, see what happens.
Will try to ducument the event for posterity - in case anyone else runs into this problem. From using the search function I saw it's not that uncommon.
FYI - it's a Noveske N4 16" barrel.

Keesh
09-28-11, 09:22
I don't think you'll ever get them out unless you support the barrel in some way. I use some rubber vice inserts and clamp the barrel assembly into the vice. Two or three solid wacks and they come out easy.

markm
09-28-11, 15:35
Yeah... the BIG starett punch would be Ideal for getting it started. Nice broad flat punch end to get the pin to move. We settled on a hardware store punch with the concave tip.

We fought this on a Colt 6933 a few months back. Those pins were tough to get out. We settled on a hardware store punch with the concave tip.

C4IGrant
09-28-11, 15:42
Man up. :D

Joking.

Assuming you have a good (wide punch) and a medium size hammer (and proper jig to hold it), have someone hold the upper/barrel down firmly. Direct pressure (down) on the receiver and barrel really helps.

C4

MistWolf
09-28-11, 16:08
Sounds like it'd be easier & faster to cut it down.

"Calling Dr. Sawzall! Calling Dr. Sawzall! FSB profile reduction in Room 15!"

Not that a couple of visits from Nurse BigHammers wouldn't get it...

Heidevolk
09-28-11, 16:25
I have the same problem as you and have ordered the above items from Brownells.

I'm close to sending it in to Adco though, I think I mushroomed the taper pin and it might be too screwed for me to deal with.

Tweak
09-28-11, 23:53
grind off the mushroomed end and continue as before

Shoulderthinggoesup
09-29-11, 01:11
Ugg. This makes me nervous about my upcoming n4 fsb surgery. :fie:

:suicide:

OMD
09-29-11, 01:23
If you're not completely supporting the area/s under and around the FSB to perfectly cradle and prevent rocking you're making it way harder than it needs to be. This in conjunction with properly supporting the barrel and receiver to prevent ALL movement is key. It needs to be on a hard, immovable support, I prefer concrete, not some piece of wood or workbench. Do that and it is easy, don't and it is ridiculously difficult. Simple as that. The Brownells block doesn't support properly at all - you need to remove some material for it to properly cradle the FSB - it is almost easier to make your own or buy one that is better made than to use theirs.

C4IGrant
09-29-11, 08:34
I have the same problem as you and have ordered the above items from Brownells.

I'm close to sending it in to Adco though, I think I mushroomed the taper pin and it might be too screwed for me to deal with.

Who made your gun? Taper pins should not mushroom out.

C4

polydeuces
09-29-11, 08:46
Ugg. This makes me nervous about my upcoming n4 fsb surgery. :fie:

:suicide:

You should be nervous. It is a N4 barrel set i picked up from Grant.
FWIW - I think it is a testimony to Noveske quality; when they say bomb-proof, they mean it. That sucker is not moving, and with all the beating it took, it barely has a mark on it. Getting a bit shiny though....;)

GRANT - PM incoming, thanks.

CoryCop25
09-29-11, 08:47
I have the proper tools and last month, I was throwing tools around my shop trying to get a fsp off a Smith and Wesson M&P. I have a Brownells front sight jig. Turns out, the rifle had the taper pins coming in from the wrong direction! The moral of the story is, check which side has the smaller end of the taper pin.

arizona98tj
10-01-11, 19:32
Don't know why but S&W does it backwards. Discovered that a long time ago doing some reading in another forum. Never hurts to do a little research before starting a project.

CoryCop25
10-01-11, 21:47
Don't know why but S&W does it backwards. Discovered that a long time ago doing some reading in another forum. Never hurts to do a little research before starting a project.

Never hurts to look for the smaller side of the pin before pounding away for 10 minutes either. I felt like a total ass.

swa0210
10-01-11, 22:33
I had the same issue when trying to remove my FSB so I could shave it down. The pins were in there tight and didn't feel like they were coming out. But I didn't have the proper punch block to stabilize it either.

Took it to a local gunsmith who had it out in less than a minute and that was that. It was worth not having to hassle with it. Next time I won't even try first.

rob_s
10-02-11, 05:58
Taking it to a "local smith" can be hit or miss. Few who lack the experience with the platform also posses the integrity to admit same and the internet is full of sad, sad tales of woe from those who failed to realize this.

OP, when you get the block, put it on a concrete floor. Not your bench, go out in the garage and put it on the floor. Benches allow just a little give and it's enough to make getting the pins out difficult.

I have also had good luck soaking in penetrating oil, freezing the whole barrel assembly, and then heating the FSB with a torch if it's really, really stuck.

seb5
10-02-11, 08:10
+1 to Robs post.

I'll add that it just makes it easier if you use too much hammer. If possible I will use a shop hammer to get them started, then transition to my lightweight to finish removing the pins.

Kroil is not a luxury, it's a necessity.

I've tore up more than a few of the Brownells taper pin punches over the years. Just use an oversize punch to get it started and then transition.

If you don't use enough energy to get the pins started yes, you can and will mushroom them. A lot of people are afraid to really whack their $2,000.00 peashooter with a large hammer, don't be.

C4IGrant
10-02-11, 15:09
I should have this barrel this week and report back on what was done to get the pins out and if they were normal or hard to remove.

C4

polydeuces
10-06-11, 17:38
Been unexpectedly swamped w work (which is a good thing...), should be going out to Grant tomorrow.

polydeuces
10-24-11, 15:19
Barrel assembly went out to Grant (G&R tactical) who graciously did the deed. Just got it back in my eager hands, all I had to do was give the pins a little tap, off it came.....easy as pie...:dirol:
(Obviously Grant having done all the work)

No mystery or surprises, but simply a craftsman having the right tools and tons of experience to do the job.

Thanks again to Grant for going above and beyond.

Pictures posted.

As indicated in one of the images, quite surprised at how little damage was done to the finish by the bashing i gave it, with numerous slips and misses of my punch..

C4IGrant
10-24-11, 18:04
I will admit that this barrel tested my skills. :D

C4

seb5
10-24-11, 18:59
Now he'll have to get them ALL the way back in, sometimes that's more of a challenge than removing them.:(

sapper36
10-24-11, 19:35
Polydeuces, any chance you would send me the FSB? Trying a wierld idea:D

carshooter
10-24-11, 19:44
OP, when you get the block, put it on a concrete floor. Not your bench, go out in the garage and put it on the floor. Benches allow just a little give and it's enough to make getting the pins out difficult.

I have also had good luck soaking in penetrating oil, freezing the whole barrel assembly, and then heating the FSB with a torch if it's really, really stuck.

+2

If you run into a stubborn set, and the surface has any give at all, the blocks bounce just enough that you'll never get them to start to move.

The trick is to hold it down on a rock solid surface and hit it HARD with an oversize punch to get them to move.

Through the years, I've run into couple of Bushmaster barrels that felt like they were welded in place and I had to resort to every trick in the book to get them out.

polydeuces
10-24-11, 21:19
Now he'll have to get them ALL the way back in, sometimes that's more of a challenge than removing them.:(

Nah.... this baby is going to wear a flip-up front sight/gas block & Omega rail - doing a swap with my DD.
I WILL however keep the FSB "on file", as its made to fit this barrel, one never knows.
FWIW - just for shits and giggles I remounted it, without seating the pins all the way, not too difficult, but - had a bitch of a time getting them out - again....:eek:

kwelz
10-25-11, 00:13
I figured this was a BCM till I read further into the thread. I have never been able to get a BCM FSB off. I swear they spot welf those ****ers in place.

C4IGrant
10-25-11, 13:32
I figured this was a BCM till I read further into the thread. I have never been able to get a BCM FSB off. I swear they spot welf those ****ers in place.

The older BCM's were a bitch unless you new the secret for getting them off.

The newer BCM's are easy to remove.

C4