PDA

View Full Version : H&K P30L vs Sig P226

AJM0617
09-27-11, 20:08
Between the two Pistols, which one do you prefer and why?

I currently have a Sig P226 9mm Enhanced Elite and it is very accurate it fits my hands pretty good. the only thing that really bothers me is the location of the slide stop on the frame. the slide never stays back open on last shot because my thumb is always on it.

I thought about getting the HK P30L. I'm a big HK fan.. I've held it before and it feels really great in my hand but never really shot it..

Barnaby
09-27-11, 20:13
If you have trouble with the slide locking back due to your grip on a P226 I would suspect that the problem would be worse on a P30. The slide release is lower and more prominent on the P30. When I transitioned from the 226 to the P30, I had more occurrences of that issue. I've since trained myself out of it.

Javelin
09-27-11, 20:20
Between the two Pistols, which one do you prefer and why?

I currently have a Sig P226 9mm Enhanced Elite and it is very accurate it fits my hands pretty good. the only thing that really bothers me is the location of the slide stop on the frame. the slide never stays back open on last shot because my thumb is always on it.

I thought about getting the HK P30L. I'm a big HK fan.. I've held it before and it feels really great in my hand but never really shot it..

I like them both honestly! I chose the P30 (regular length) as I like to conceal carry. But a good friend I work out at the gym with has something like 6 or 7 SIG P226's and I understand why he likes them so much. He has a Navy edition on that has the SEAL Trident on it that I would like to get my hands on whenever he decides to sell it.

;)

KhanRad
09-27-11, 20:25
I've used and worked on Sigs for the last 15 years. In the last few years I've used the P30 off and on. No question, P30.

Superior design, superior materials, superior reliability, superior durability, and superior performance. The P30 is one of the few pistols that I was able to pick up completely cold, and shoot it better in a course of fire that I could my P226 had I had trained with for 10 years.

Try looking at Todd Green's 100,000 round endurance test on the P30. I work for the Department of Interior, and in the last five years we have purchased over a thousand new Sigs to add to our old inventory. We have had excessive problems with these new guns to the point that the agency as a whole is pushing to get out of our 20 year Sig contract.

F-Trooper05
09-27-11, 20:45
Dude are you just busting our balls or are you serious? You literally come on here once a week and ask us to compare two random guns that you're thinking about buying. I don't mean to be a dick, but there are other, more appropriate message boards to go to for that than M4C.

deadlyfire
09-27-11, 21:07
HK hands down as well. I've never use the P30, but both my father and I have carried HKs with good experiences.
My unit is switching to M11s so hopefully I'll have some first hand experience with Sig Saur to compare.

zodtgr8
09-27-11, 21:12
the only thing that really bothers me is the location of the slide stop on the frame. the slide never stays back open on last shot because my thumb is always on it.

See the attached pic, it is a suggested grip for fighting with a P226, modeled by Kyle Defoor.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/zodtgr8/k298488_DeFoorSiggrip.jpg

scottryan
09-27-11, 21:18
See the attached pic, it is a suggested grip for fighting with a P226, modeled by Kyle Defoor.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/zodtgr8/k298488_DeFoorSiggrip.jpg

I have trained myself to shoot every pistol like that as I can be assured to not ride the slide stop no matter what pistol I'm using.

eternal24k
09-27-11, 21:32
I have trained myself to shoot every pistol like that as I can be assured to not ride the slide stop no matter what pistol I'm using.

1911s included?

KhanRad
09-27-11, 21:32
Dude are you just busting our balls or are you serious? You literally come on here once a week and ask us to compare two random guns that you're thinking about buying. I don't mean to be a dick, but there are other, more appropriate message boards to go to for that than M4C.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to check and see who's posting. It seems like every comparison he posts is Sig versus something else. Every time we give him advice the majority opinion is to go with the non-Sig option. Some of the people in this forum have decades of firearms experience, particularly with Sigs and the advice is always the same.........avoid the modern day Sig.

This may be one of those times when he is just going to have to learn things the hard way. Encourage him to buy the Sig, and he will love it for the first few thousand rounds(that is if he doesn't get the 10% of new Sigs that are lemons right out of the box). After that, he will experience excessive parts wear, possibly even parts failure and if he doesn't jump ship then.......he's a bonified fan boy.

AJM0617
09-27-11, 22:14

Dude, seriously.. do you own this forum or what? if you don't like my post then DON'T FREAKING READ IT! I don't come here to ask you and your opinion. you come and read my threads ALL THE TIME and then you complain about every single thread I post. you're not trying to be a dick but you are a dick. you reply on every single threads I post here and say the same thing over and over again. I come here to ask other nice folks here. NOT YOU.

Nephrology
09-27-11, 22:27
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to check and see who's posting. It seems like every comparison he posts is Sig versus something else. Every time we give him advice the majority opinion is to go with the non-Sig option. Some of the people in this forum have decades of firearms experience, particularly with Sigs and the advice is always the same.........avoid the modern day Sig.

This may be one of those times when he is just going to have to learn things the hard way. Encourage him to buy the Sig, and he will love it for the first few thousand rounds(that is if he doesn't get the 10% of new Sigs that are lemons right out of the box). After that, he will experience excessive parts wear, possibly even parts failure and if he doesn't jump ship then.......he's a bonified fan boy.

I think he's just in the "collector" phase of gun ownership, much like the larva that precedes the adult moth.

rathos
09-27-11, 23:24
I have had both, still own the P226 (and a 228). I found the slide stop issue to be worse with the HK P30. I did like the LEM trigger a lot more. If you are going DA/SA the 226 will have a better DA stroke. While the P30 is catching up, the 226 has more holster options from the standard makers. Many have said newer sigs are crap, but I have found that it is very hit or miss. The HK is pretty solid all around.

If your sig works well why change? If you are really stuck on getting a different gun find a range that rents pistols and go rent it first. It will save you a lot of money in the long run.

MikeCLeonard
09-28-11, 00:25
I owned a P30L and loved it. Shot very accurately with it, never had any malfunctions, felt great in the hand, and has the grip dimension modularity. Only sold it to fund some other things...plan on getting another in the future. I never had a problem with the slide-stop...but can see where some people might. You could always have the lever milled down shorter I guess.

Never owned the Sig, but have shot the 226 a number of times. I don't know why, but I could never shoot all that great with it. It's the only pistol I've shot that surprised me by how not-well I was with it. Again, I'm not sure why that was...but it seemed nice other than that.

I vote Hk P30. The P30's and Smith M&P's are my favorite handguns in existence right now...but that's just what I like. Try to find one to rent and see how you like it. That's about the best way to go about this type of thingidy thang!

Skang
09-28-11, 00:49
P30 slide release lever can be fixed with slim version or switch with HK45C slide release lever.

JohnN
09-28-11, 11:49
These P2000 slim slide releases solved my every once and a while failure to lock the slide. Shorter and considerably slimmer. Not as nicely finished as the stock part but eh...they work.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg198/scaled.php?server=198&filename=today007.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg851/scaled.php?server=851&filename=today006.jpg&res=medium

AJM0617
09-30-11, 17:51
Thanks for the good response guys.. I really appreciate it :)

gabuzz12
10-21-11, 22:15
Get the p30 and never look back. :D

montanadave
10-21-11, 23:09
If you like the "feel" of the H&K P30, be sure to grab a Walther PPQ before you make up your mind.

Feels every bit as good and the trigger is very nice right from the get go.

Skang
10-22-11, 00:10
P30 LEM

I own P30L .v3