PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Against Colt but.... I can't stand the Sporter!

Javelin
09-27-11, 20:10
Seriously, I love ARs more than anything. I love Colt ARs (LE6920) more than anything. But a time long long ago (back when Clinton was our Commander and Crook) I had a Colt 'Sporter' (not pre-ban) with that damn rollmark and it really kind of sucked. It had a miss-matched colored upper/lower, jammed a lot, and it was just not that great. Of course that was a long time ago. Honestly Noveske rifles really brought me back into the AR world (now I have something like 4 Noveske rifles).

Now I understand that the new Sporters are better. Got it. But I just can't get over the Sporter rollmark and come to grasp that they are different now. The folks newer to guns obviously have no idea what Colt civilian department used to be 15 years ago.... So I guess my summation is that I don't think I can honestly tell anyone to get a Colt Sporter based on my personal experiences with the early ones.

There I said it. :suicide2:

Belmont31R
09-27-11, 20:13
Every company had to comply with the law.

polymorpheous
09-27-11, 20:15
Why is this in a technical sub-forum?

scoutfsu99
09-27-11, 20:30
:cray:

Dude, it's a roll mark. On a weapon, that's the last thing I would worry about.

DeltaSierra
09-27-11, 20:35
Dude, it's a roll mark. On a weapon, that's the last thing I would worry about.

Come on, it is a Colt...

The quality is excellent, and the roll mark doesn't change that.

Life continues...

djegators
09-27-11, 20:49
If its built by Colt, and works like Colt...well that is what matters...IBL

Javelin
09-27-11, 20:52
If its built by Colt, and works like Colt...well that is what matters...IBL

I guess. But when Colt was 2 different divisions years ago things were not the same. Maybe I am the only one that is picky about their firearms and actually harbor emotion when holding & handling them.

Some people a hammer is hammer and as long as their drill says DeWalt or Bosch that's good enough. But not me and the new Sporter thing has really bothered me about Colt's change. And FWIW there are 2 NIB Colt LE rifles in the closet as I am going to wait & see what comes out of all this 'change'.

Javelin
09-27-11, 20:54
And just to give a little background I am a weapons guy/CHL instructor and former Infantry Captain - not just some smooge lurking on the internet. I just am seeing if anyone else here has the same feelings as I hope everyone just does not parrot COlt Colt Colt because the stupid thing says Colt.

HKUSP.40
09-27-11, 21:04
There's numerous other manufacturers that make high quality AR's. Just go w/ a different manufacturer if Colt has left a bad taste in your mouth.

Odds are, you'll find equal quality (if not better) for less $$ w/ other AR's. I love Colt but I also know you can get more for your $$ w/ others.

Pi3
09-27-11, 21:05
what year was it made? did it have a flash hider?

scottryan
09-27-11, 21:08
Seriously, I love ARs more than anything. I love Colt ARs (LE6920) more than anything. But a time long long ago (back when Clinton was our Commander and Crook) I had a Colt 'Sporter' (not pre-ban) with that damn rollmark and it really kind of sucked. It had a miss-matched colored upper/lower, jammed a lot, and it was just not that great. Of course that was a long time ago. Honestly Noveske rifles really brought me back into the AR world (now I have something like 4 Noveske rifles).

Now I understand that the new Sporters are better. Got it. But I just can't get over the Sporter rollmark and come to grasp that they are different now. The folks newer to guns obviously have no idea what Colt civilian department used to be 15 years ago.... So I guess my summation is that I don't think I can honestly tell anyone to get a Colt Sporter based on my personal experiences with the early ones.

There I said it. :suicide2:

Colt product made in the late 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s are some of the finest models as far as quality that were ever made.

There was no war going on and they could concentrate on production.

Your sporter jammed alot because something wasn't right inside of it, which I would guess it wasn't Colts fault.

scottryan
09-27-11, 21:09
I guess. But when Colt was 2 different divisions years ago things were not the same. Maybe I am the only one that is picky about their firearms and actually harbor emotion when holding & handling them.

Colt wasn't two different divisions until 2003.

Iraqgunz
09-27-11, 21:24
Please ride the emotional rollercoaster somewhere else. Thanks