PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon HD Night Sights and Distance Precision

MeanStreaker
09-28-11, 12:05
I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds - fast acquisition of the front sight but still capable of hitting smaller targets at 25 yards or so.

The XS Big Dot sights lack in the precision dept outside of 10-12 yards. At least they do for me. I know that is why many folks don't like them on a duty handgun. If you have used the new Trijicon HD sights, how would you rate them in comparison for precision at those distances?

GJM
09-28-11, 14:01
Good provided you are using tne top of the front sight and not just the orange/yellow dot.

Shawn.L
09-28-11, 14:20
I have poor vison (near sighted), have worn glasses since 3rd grade, my eyes fatiuge fast and "hard front sight focus" is a fairy tale to me.

I run Ameriglo "Hack" sights. The front is a night sight lamp with a bright orange outlined circle and a black serated rear. They are fast, easy to pick up, and the BRIGHT orange really catches my eye. They may not be the textbook best target sights (go Defoor sights for solid combat style target sights) but I can still manage 95/100 with regularity slow fire at 25 yards on an NRA bull out of a otherwise stock G17.

TAZ
09-28-11, 16:22
No sure about the trijicon HD, but my second G21 runs with a set of Ameriglo IDot Pro's with the orange front sight like the trijicon hd. Same width front Blade and notch as far as I know. To date they are not the limiting factor in my accuracy. You may also want to take a look at Warren Tacticals. They have a narrower front blade so they may be more accurate. I haven't shot the my 2 Glocks side by side to see if there is a noticeable difference between the Warrens and the IDot Pro. My guess is that for me I'm still going to be the limiting factor.

FailureDrill-P099
09-28-11, 18:17
I recently put some HD's on a Gen2 G19. I found them to be very accurate at distances of 15 to 20 yards. A little better than standard trijicons. I had no problem hitting and they seamed faster than standard trijicons.

Guns-up.50
09-28-11, 18:30
I have the .215 yellow front and a black heinie ledge on my g17. I really like this set-up great from 5 to 20-25 yrds. To me the yellow is much brighter than the orange.

aaron_c
09-28-11, 18:39
My Ameriglo sights (made by, and labeled, Trijicon) on my FNX are one of my favorite weapons upgrade I've done to any weapon. I can get fairly consistent midsection hits at 25 yards on the black silhouette "P" targets, and mine are combat sights (which makes it harder to be accurate for me, so far anyway).

Quinn
09-28-11, 21:39
have not shot with them, took a look at the set Ben at boresight solutions had on his glock and I loved them. I really want a set. To be honest the dot looks very large and I would think that would be good for precision at distances.

vecdran
09-29-11, 00:15
Took TLG's Glock 17 with Trijicon HD sights for a spin back in February during a class. Front post is way too wide for my tastes. You can do accurate shots, but I feel you have to try way too hard.

Alaskapopo
09-29-11, 00:26
I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds - fast acquisition of the front sight but still capable of hitting smaller targets at 25 yards or so.

The XS Big Dot sights lack in the precision dept outside of 10-12 yards. At least they do for me. I know that is why many folks don't like them on a duty handgun. If you have used the new Trijicon HD sights, how would you rate them in comparison for precision at those distances?

I hate the XS Big dot because really on large targets at 10 to 12 years you can basically point shoot using the slide itself as your sight. When you need sights the Big dot fails which is on smaller targets or longer range targets. Trijicon sights are fine. My personal favorate are Tru Glow fiber optic night sights which are a blend of the best of both worlds.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/Glock17Dutygun.jpg

glen
09-29-11, 06:36

Have you considered Warren Tactical night sights? I find they give me what you are looking for. Fast aquisition with the white outlined tritium dot front, and decent accuracy out to past 25 yards with the narrow and tall front sight. I would paint the front sight in a bright color if I wanted more contrast, but the white outline is fine for me.

skatz11
09-29-11, 07:28
Another vote for the Warren Tactical sights. Tritium front end plain rear.

I have tried the Trijicon HD's on a friends pistol and I do like them, but prefer the Warren combo. I'd love the WTS front with an orange ring instead of white.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Matt O
09-29-11, 10:20
I have the Trijicon HD sights on my Glock 17.

If we consider POA to be the top of the front sight blade, for me POI at 7 yards is pretty much spot on, but at 25 yards is about 2"-3" high. On an NRA B8 25 yard target, I have to hold at the bottom of the 5.5" bull.

Personally I'm not completely satisfied with this set up so far as I'd prefer a more consistent POA/POI out to 20 or 25 yards if possible.

Magsz
09-29-11, 12:19
Took TLG's Glock 17 with Trijicon HD sights for a spin back in February during a class. Front post is way too wide for my tastes. You can do accurate shots, but I feel you have to try way too hard.

I agreed BUT...

I noticed a definitive speed increase in my draw to first shot times with these sights.

Im not a huge fan of instinctive shooting but it is a reality of close in pistol shooting. With the HD sights i found i was able to get a rough sight picture before breaking the shot due to the HUGE size of the front sight and the photo luminescent paint. I would rather shoot this way than rely on a slide index or rote muscle memory.

At distance, a hard front sight focus is always required for accuracy and i did find the sight to be a little busy/big.

warlord260
09-29-11, 12:42
I have the HD sights on my weapon. I have found them to be very accurite at 25 yrds. Dot on target= POI

uwe1
09-30-11, 10:58

If we consider POA to be the top of the front sight blade, for me POI at 7 yards is pretty much spot on, but at 25 yards is about 2"-3" high. On an NRA B8 25 yard target, I have to hold at the bottom of the 5.5" bull.

Personally I'm not completely satisfied with this set up so far as I'd prefer a more consistent POA/POI out to 20 or 25 yards if possible.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if it is possible to have a consistent POA/POI from 5-25 yards, especially with the tall sights. My Warrens are like this also. You still have to correct for the offset from the top of the sights to the bore.

At first, the different points of impact bothered me, but I've gotten used to the 6:00 hold and have begun to like it. For me it is easier to get a precise aiming point at the bottom of the black versus trying to make sure I bisected the circle perfectly while my eyes are focused at the front sight.

brushy bill
09-30-11, 20:27
I hate the XS Big dot because really on large targets at 10 to 12 years you can basically point shoot using the slide itself as your sight. When you need sights the Big dot fails which is on smaller targets or longer range targets. http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/Glock17Dutygun.jpg

Same in my experience. If I were regularly using the Glock 22 they currently reside on, I would replace.

Shawn.L
09-30-11, 20:36

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if it is possible to have a consistent POA/POI from 5-25 yards, especially with the tall sights. My Warrens are like this also. You still have to correct for the offset from the top of the sights to the bore.

At first, the different points of impact bothered me, but I've gotten used to the 6:00 hold and have begun to like it. For me it is easier to get a precise aiming point at the bottom of the black versus trying to make sure I bisected the circle perfectly while my eyes are focused at the front sight.

since the sights arent mounted inside the barrel (and further the bullet is not a laser) there is mechanical offset with a pistol just like with a rifle only smaller in degree due to such short height over bore and range.

Im shooting the dot inside 5 if I want to drop one hole into another, then the blade all the way out to 25 where I have to "flat tire" a B8 bull to nail the X.

durus5995
10-01-11, 01:08
I run a set of Orange HDs on my Glock 19 and I concur on the 6 o' clock hold. I still have to work on my distance shooting with them and I am glad that I am not the only one that has had a little trouble shooting the HDs at distance.

fuse
10-01-11, 01:14
I hate the XS Big dot because really on large targets at 10 to 12 years you can basically point shoot using the slide itself as your sight. When you need sights the Big dot fails which is on smaller targets or longer range targets. Trijicon sights are fine. My personal favorate are Tru Glow fiber optic night sights which are a blend of the best of both worlds.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/Glock17Dutygun.jpg

Round count? How durable have they been?