PDA

View Full Version : Facebook "accidentally" has been tracking everything you do online.

Belmont31R
09-28-11, 12:09
And of course just just a "mistake". I noticed this and even commented to my wife about it. Even after she was logged off I would go to different sites, and they have Facebook 'tags' or whatever you call them where you can 'like' whatever you're looking at, and post it to your wall. Well it used to just be a little Facebook symbol but lately its been showing her name and picture right on the site Im on even though she was not logged on. It was pissing me off, and I can't ****ing stand companies putting tracking cookies on my system that monitor what I do when Im not on their site. To me its the same as going through a drive through and McDonalds putting a camera or GPS on my car to see what Im doing after I leave and without my permission. That shit should be illegal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/26/facebook-logout-cookies-privacy-tracking_n_980838.html

QuietShootr
09-28-11, 12:12
<arfcommer> hey man, it's capitalism, man. Don't like it, don't use it. What are you, a communist?</arfcommer>

Moose-Knuckle
09-28-11, 12:32
FB and other "social networking" sites are nothing more than data mining probes.

Irish
09-28-11, 12:56
Convincing my wife and friends to quit FB would take an act of God.

Irish
09-28-11, 12:59
And there's a FB "Like" button on the article. :D

bp7178
09-28-11, 12:59
This shit isn't accidental, its buried in usage agreements.

Why would you need a 65 page user agreement to buy crap on iTunes?

A lot of these setting can be tweaked on the user's end in the security setting for the web browser.

Belmont31R
09-28-11, 13:00
Convincing my wife and friends to quit FB would take an act of God.

I have one but log in maybe once every 1-2 months. Wife is on it all the friggin time. Even her phone buzzes every 10 minutes with FB updates....:rolleyes:

Belmont31R
09-28-11, 13:02
This shit isn't accidental, its buried in usage agreements.

Why would you need a 65 page user agreement to buy crap on iTunes?

A lot of these setting can be tweaked on the user's end in the security setting for the web browser.

I just tried blocking cookies and it wouldn't even let me log in to gmail or FB.

And yes they intentionally make the user agreements so long and full of legal speak no one but a bored attorney would read them or could even understand what they are agreeing to.

Gramps
09-28-11, 13:41
I find ABSOLUTELY NO reason to tell the frickin world what the hell I'm thinking or doing. There is NO reason to tell the world/Govt all about my life. It is all monitored for future ref anyway. Even here. If you want your privacy, then keep it private.

The_War_Wagon
09-28-11, 13:43
FAZEBOOK?!?! Is that thing STILL around? :rolleyes:

Travis B
09-29-11, 07:36
Related article: http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-09-28/social-media/30211885_1_social-media-burglars-social-networking

As many users post updates on social networking sites, thieves not only get information about recent high-value purchases, but also the dates and times when they are out.

Honu
09-29-11, 16:30
I wonder if they can track whats happening on your ipad ?

part of me enjoys keeping touch with old friends other times I lived this long without them who cares :)

its good for our business though on the business side ? so dont want to let that side go

I am waiting till they decide if you have your smart phone enabled they will track your location and have that info be able to be hacked !!!!

same with gmail ? I use it for junk stuff but they keep everything !!!!

Spiffums
09-29-11, 17:14
So they know I like guns, world of warcraft and naked girls?

Gutshot John
09-29-11, 17:34
THIS IS THEIR WHOLE BUSINESS MODEL...and has been for a very long time. Every "free" website you visit (including this site) generates revenue based on quantifying your behaviors for the purposes of marketing or sales.

You're getting a service you value for free, in exchange they want some insight into your online behavior to deliver you products you may want. This is the internet. This is nothing new.

Nothing in this world is "free", why is this a shocker? Providing this service costs money or do you really think Facebook exists out of the goodness of Zuckerberg's heart? Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would occur if Facebook started collecting monthly fees? Not only that but you would value the service less as others would stop using it altogether.

Seriously if you don't want them to know what you do...stop using their service. Problem solved...of course you probably should stop using the internet altogether.:suicide:

Belmont31R
09-29-11, 17:40
Thats fine but they're the ones who said it was accidental...meaning they are the ones who messed up not the people who used their services.

Of course I expect things like google search engine to put ads based on things Ive looked at...but Im on their site while doing so. Once you leave the site the tracking should stop.

Just like if I entered a business they can monitor what I do while in their business...but they can't put a GPS on me so when I leave they can continue monitoring what I do around town.

Zhurdan
09-29-11, 17:53
Thats fine but they're the ones who said it was accidental...meaning they are the ones who messed up not the people who used their services.

Of course I expect things like google search engine to put ads based on things Ive looked at...but Im on their site while doing so. Once you leave the site the tracking should stop.

Just like if I entered a business they can monitor what I do while in their business...but they can't put a GPS on me so when I leave they can continue monitoring what I do around town.

Google and Apple can. Read their EULA's sometime. Scary stuff.

Belmont31R
09-29-11, 17:57
Google and Apple can. Read their EULA's sometime. Scary stuff.

Im not talking about something like a cell phone.

jmp45
09-29-11, 18:32
Have you're browser delete cookies on close. There are browsers for ipad that are anonymous, full screen by savy soda I think is one of them. I have clients use facebook for business, I have no use for it personally.

The_War_Wagon
09-29-11, 19:30
Have you're browser delete cookies on close. There are browsers for ipad that are anonymous, full screen by savy soda I think is one of them. I have clients use facebook for business, I have no use for it personally.

Maxa Cookie Manager Pro is your friend. :cool:

SA80Dan
09-29-11, 20:28
Its not just facebook....it's everybody. Buried in agreements, accidental, hacked servers, whatever - long and short of it is, whatever information you put online, you need to accept it can be compromised. It's the world we live in.

Gutshot John
09-29-11, 20:37
Read up on persistent cookies...thats one of many methods involved.

If you don't like it, drop your FB account, disconnect from the net, bank in person, ditch your cell phone...let's see anything else? oh yeah you probably want to physically cut all the wires leading out from your computer and then encasing it in cement. :)

Moose-Knuckle
09-29-11, 21:20
THIS IS THEIR WHOLE BUSINESS MODEL...and has been for a very long time. Every "free" website you visit (including this site) generates revenue based on quantifying your behaviors for the purposes of marketing or sales.

You're getting a service you value for free, in exchange they want some insight into your online behavior to deliver you products you may want. This is the internet. This is nothing new.

Nothing in this world is "free", why is this a shocker? Providing this service costs money or do you really think Facebook exists out of the goodness of Zuckerberg's heart? Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would occur if Facebook started collecting monthly fees? Not only that but you would value the service less as others would stop using it altogether.

Seriously if you don't want them to know what you do...stop using their service. Problem solved...of course you probably should stop using the internet altogether.:suicide:

FB is not just collecting data on you to sell to multinational corporations with the harmless intent to peddle their junk to you.

http://www.brainsturbator.com/articles/facebook_the_cia_and_you/

Gutshot John
09-29-11, 21:40
FB is not just collecting data on you to sell to multinational corporations with the harmless intent to peddle their junk to you.

http://www.brainsturbator.com/articles/facebook_the_cia_and_you/

Riiiiggghhhht...but if that's how you feel...

STOP USING IT.

Problem solved.

Belmont31R
09-29-11, 21:46
Read up on persistent cookies...thats one of many methods involved.

If you don't like it, drop your FB account, disconnect from the net, bank in person, ditch your cell phone...let's see anything else? oh yeah you probably want to physically cut all the wires leading out from your computer and then encasing it in cement. :)

You're right. There is ZERO middle ground between living in a powerless shack in Montana to being on the internet, and having every company that wants track every move you make.

Gutshot John
09-29-11, 21:57
You're right. There is ZERO middle ground between living in a powerless shack in Montana to being on the internet, and having every company that wants track every move you make.

Absolute privacy is a thing of the past. That you think it's a breeze for anyone or anything to sort through hundreds of terabytes of data produced on a daily basis to track every move you and 6 billion others make however is a bit absurd.

The internet is remarkably open and free of charge...free of any cost however is unrealistic.

If you don't want to pay that cost, disconnect.

Belmont31R
09-29-11, 22:00
Absolute privacy is a thing of the past. That you think it's a breeze for anyone or anything to sort through hundreds of terabytes of data produced on a daily basis to track every move you and 6 billion others make however is a bit absurd.

The internet is remarkably open and free of charge...free of any cost however is unrealistic.

If you don't want to pay that cost, disconnect.

Once again its not that cut and dry, and just washing your hands of the entire thing because a few companies doing certain things is stupid.

I understand user data is a commodity....but if they want to track my movements online OFF of their website they can pay me for doing so. Otherwise they are seriously intruding on my privacy by installing programming on my computer that does it anyways, and they are the ones who said it was a mistake/accidental.

Gutshot John
09-29-11, 22:03
Once again its not that cut and dry, and just washing your hands of the entire thing because a few companies doing certain things is stupid.

I understand user data is a commodity....but if they want to track my movements online OFF of their website they can pay me for doing so. Otherwise they are seriously intruding on my privacy by installing programming on my computer that does it anyways, and they are the ones who said it was a mistake/accidental.

Fair enough...stop using it.

Gramps
09-29-11, 22:48
Nothing, is free. It's all part of life. Just try to blend in as normal as can be, to attract the least attention.

Honu
09-29-11, 22:57
So they know I like guns, world of warcraft and naked girls?

in that priority :) hehehheh

Irish
09-29-11, 23:20
Absolute privacy is a thing of the past.

No shit, look at the Patriot Act! ;)

dookie1481
09-30-11, 01:10
It cracks me up that people lament what sites like Facebook do with data when they post all kinds of shit on forums like this.

Gramps
09-30-11, 09:51
It cracks me up that people lament what sites like Facebook do with data when they post all kinds of shit on forums like this.

Hello? Lay your life and thoughts out there for the world to see, and then....