PDA

View Full Version : Building a 1911 from parts kit

Quinn
09-28-11, 12:15
Is it cheaper to buy a parts kit such as this one from Wilson http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=53891/pid=27479/Product/Slide---Frame-Kit?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=10000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c3466_a_7c100004485_d_100004485_d_10561 and then buy each wilson part seperatly? To be honest im not very familiar with 1911, so myself putting it together would be out of the question. But if one had the know how it appears that one could build one for about the fraction of a complete wilson custom 1911. Anyone have any experience with this?

Army Chief
09-28-11, 12:50
The problem with your opening premise is that it infers that quality parts make up the lion's share of a high-end 1911's price tag. While quality parts are never cheap, in the case of a quality 1911, what you're really paying for is bench time in competent hands. Since proper fitting and initial set-up is so critical to functionality in these guns, you definitely want a master pistolsmith involved; otherwise, you risk turning a costly high-end parts kit into an expensive collection of scrap metal. The difference between success and failure in these cases is often just a few errant file strokes, so this isn't something that you want to entrust to the typical gunsmith down at your local shop who makes his living by installing scopes on hunting rifles and changing out Glock sights.

The better alternative is to look to the used market, as you can often find low-round count Wilson's models for well under $2,000 -- and all of these pistols have a lifetime warranty. This approach guarantees that you're getting a properly set-up gun, and if anything ever breaks, the company will take care of it, no matter how many hands the gun may have passed through before it reached yours.

Granted, that's still a lot of money when you're looking at a $500 or $600 frame & slide set, but in the end, it is definitely the better proposition unless you just happen to have access to the tools and knowledge base necessary to craft a pistol that is actually worth owning. Anything less than this is likely to result in something that is neither fish nor foul, and a poor example of the 1911's true potential. You may save a few dollars on the balance sheet, but what you give up along the way in terms of usefulness, practicality and pride in ownership is likely to offset the benefit of any savings over the long term.

AC

Anchor Zero Six
09-28-11, 12:51
I have built a few 1911's as well as owned most of the top tier customs over the years.

The reason why a top tier 1911 costs what they do is NOT the cost of parts but the labor involved with assembly. Most "Match Grade" parts are oversized to allow for precise fitment. Most often this requires hand filing and stoning the parts and this is before we even get into blending, dehorning and checkering.

If you want to do one to get your feet wet I would suggest hitting the gun shops or the ads in SGN to find junker/donor frames and slides. Focus on fitting these parts first and go into it knowing that you will need some special tooling along the way.

Another option is to go with a prefit frame and slide kit such as an STI/SVI or Caspian and use internal parts that are "Drop in fit". Drop in parts have come a long way and for the most part really are drop in unlike the old days where it just meant less filing than a non drop in part.

Anyways dont know if that really answered your question or not it depends on what you want for the end result. Want a shooter then buy a factory 1911 from Colt SA etc. If you want to build one for a project go for it and have fun. These are not AR's so I wouldnt suggest buying the most expensive components and assembling them with the thought that you will have the equal to a Wilson or Ed Brown also consider the cost of said parts will not be cheap and there will be no resale value as you dont have the name to go behind the pistol.

Quinn
09-28-11, 13:27
Thanks for the response, not really looking to become a pistol smith. Just wanted to build a quality 1911 for less money. Thats what I suspected AC but the kit says slide to frame fit already done and mentions other fitting that is ready for wilson combat parts (it does mention final fitting is required) I would still be using a qualified gunsmith but I figured most parts would just be drop in.

Anchor Zero Six
09-28-11, 13:35
Where are you located?

There are many great 1911 smiths around that can do final assembly on your parts for much less than the big name guys and produce a functionaly equal pistol if investment grade isnt a concern.

Again for a shooter get a factory pistol and have the smith do a once over and perform any relability tweaks that may be needed. Many 1911 guys I have used offer a carry/relabilty package for about 300.00

Quinn
09-28-11, 15:40
Im in south florida, North Miami area. Looking into the SA Operator in 9

Army Chief
09-28-11, 16:05
Never jumped on the Springfield bandwagon personally, but I know plenty who have. What makes less sense to me is why you would consider a 9mm 1911. I'm not suggesting that they aren't pleasant to shoot, but (a) there are far better -- and less expensive -- 9mm pistols on the market, and (b) the only way that a 9mm 1911 really makes sense is if you already have a number of 1911s in .45 ACP, and are simply looking to change things up for occasional range and/or practice use.

AC

Quinn
09-28-11, 17:13
Been shooting a glock 19 for a bit, literally just went and purchased an M&P 9 from a private owner. Always wanted a 1911 and my birthday is coming up. Would like to eventually sell off the one pistol and stick with it for carry but if I could build a nice 1911 for a good price I would love to have it as an alternative handgun.

Norseman
09-28-11, 18:28
Once again AC is spot on with his advice. I have looked at the slide/frame combos before and seriously considered building one up but what I did start to notice is how quickly things really add up in the cost department. For example you dont just need the parts, even if they state that they are " drop in", you are still going to need a proper set of tools to make them fit. For example a plunger tube install kit, files, sight pusher etc.

Now I realize you stated that you would have someone else assemble everything and that is why I bring up the tooling aspect. Smiths have to continually replace a certain amount of tools as they get used up so that is probably part of the cost passed on to the customer also.

And then there is the final finish/refinishing aspect, ammo cost for proofing the gun etc.

So if you really break down the cost, a good smith is worth their weight in gold, primarily because they eliminate alot of the headaches associated with building a quality pistol for you.

CAVDOC
09-29-11, 10:52
do not in any way shape or form think that putting together a 1911 is at all like throwing a bunch of AR parts together and 98% of the time having them work. Building a 1911 that functions by hand is something of a black art.
Each and every part even those from reputable suppliers will require fitting to a degree. No money will be saved over getting a good production gun.
getting a good production gun will save you endless headaches however.
With a good bit of 1911 knowledge I looked into what you are thinking- by the time I bought good quality parts without even thinknig of any bells and whistles I was well above the cost of each of the last 3 Colts I bought!

Anchor Zero Six
09-29-11, 12:44
Just throwing this out there for you to chew on...have you considered a Browning High Power?

You seem pretty set on a 9mm and IMO the HP is to the 9MM what the 1911 is to 45ACP. Both are single action and have a familiar feel in the hand.

Plenty of custom drop in parts are out there to make it a reliable match grade gun. There are also plenty of reputable smith that focus on the HP.

Best part is they are available pretty cheap on the surplus market (look in SGN) so a donor wont set you back a whole lot.