PDA

View Full Version : scope mounting system height

platoonDaddy
09-28-11, 13:18
Have a new (won) Browning X-Bolt .338 and looking at the x-lock integrated scope mounts.

The height has me stumped, for a 1" mount what height would you recommend and why? This piece will be used for Elk and Moose hunting.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/accessories/detail.asp?value=018J&cat_id=125&type_id=187

ForTehNguyen
09-28-11, 20:04
going to depend on your scope objective diameter, scope base height, the barrel thickness, etc. 40mm objectives use lows. I have a 50mm objective on my 700 SPS tactical, 20 moa base, and using medium Burris XTR rings. I could probably get away with a low but barely, so I went with mediums.

also remember "low/medium" from one manufacturer to another can be different heights

platoonDaddy
09-28-11, 20:47
going to depend on your scope objective diameter, scope base height, the barrel thickness, etc. 40mm objectives use lows. I have a 50mm objective on my 700 SPS tactical, 20 moa base, and using medium Burris XTR rings. I could probably get away with a low but barely, so I went with mediums.

also remember "low/medium" from one manufacturer to another can be different heights

Dang, now you have me dang, danging. The x-bolt scope mounts = mount plus rings. Have a very old 3x9x40 (from early 60's) collecting dust and too save some monies, thought I would mount that scope. Later down the road, upgrade to a new scope.

Now I am danging, danging.

Thanks,

ForTehNguyen
09-28-11, 21:42
yea took me a while to figure out what rings I should have. Also have to pay attention so it isnt too low or else you cant cycle the bolt without it dinging the scope. Unfortunately something like that you cant really measure if it will fit or not.

Its safe to say that if you go for a ~40mm objective you can get lows

Scoby
09-29-11, 17:03
It's a pretty safe bet that the lows will work for you.

If you have a gun shop nearby and it isn't operated by jerks, they'll let you bring in your rifle and scope and test the different height rings. The lower you get the centerline of the optic to the bore the better.

It's also a safe bet that the shop will want you to purchase the rings and bases from them if you go this route.

longball
09-30-11, 04:25
yea took me a while to figure out what rings I should have. Also have to pay attention so it isnt too low or else you cant cycle the bolt without it dinging the scope. Unfortunately something like that you cant really measure if it will fit or not.

Its safe to say that if you go for a ~40mm objective you can get lows

I have mounted scopes with a 40mm objective diameter on X-Bolts using the low Leupold mounts and rings. The Brownings have a shorter (60 degree) bolt throw so you wont have to worry about bolt clearance issues even with the low rings.

mark5pt56
09-30-11, 05:32
Half the objective diameter, account for a scope cover if used and that's the distance that the base and ring height needs to be to CLEAR the barrel. However, keep in mind that may be to low for you for whatever reasons. Generally with most non adjustable stocks, the scope just clearing the barrel will be fine. Variables are your build and since hunting in the cold, head gear that adds to your noggin dimensions and if you install a cheek pad, etc afterwards.

Have fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpLi064e_JI

platoonDaddy
09-30-11, 08:18
Thank to all you for the info and the video by Potterfield.

Again thanks,