PDA

View Full Version : M&P trigger problem, post sight installation

jwperry
09-29-11, 09:06
I wondering if someone here has had this problem or can give me guidance. I think I know what I have to do, I just don't want to do it.

I replaced my factory sights with Trijicon HD night sights. This is the second installation I've done of my own sights.

This time around, it feels like my firing pin block is 'dragging' or 'clicking' when I pull the trigger. I function tested the gun; 200 rounds and no trigger related issues(did find a couple bad new mags, but that's a question for another thread). But, there is an obnoxious 'clicking' or 'dragging' feeling on the trigger. I cleaned and lubed everything post range trip and I've been dry firing it this morning and the issue is still present. I've taken the gun apart and using the dis-assembly tool I can press the FPB and feel 'clicking'.

Did I kink my spring putting the rear sight back on? I really hate to have to take it off again, but I feel that is what I'm going to have to do.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

C4IGrant
09-29-11, 09:22
I wondering if someone here has had this problem or can give me guidance. I think I know what I have to do, I just don't want to do it.

I replaced my factory sights with Trijicon HD night sights. This is the second installation I've done of my own sights.

This time around, it feels like my firing pin block is 'dragging' or 'clicking' when I pull the trigger. I function tested the gun; 200 rounds and no trigger related issues(did find a couple bad new mags, but that's a question for another thread). But, there is an obnoxious 'clicking' or 'dragging' feeling on the trigger. I cleaned and lubed everything post range trip and I've been dry firing it this morning and the issue is still present. I've taken the gun apart and using the dis-assembly tool I can press the FPB and feel 'clicking'.

Did I kink my spring putting the rear sight back on? I really hate to have to take it off again, but I feel that is what I'm going to have to do.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

I bet you kinked your spring. Take the rear sight off and check.

C4

MrMiller
09-29-11, 09:40
Another possibility is that the cover plate has been tipped to the side and is no longer flat against the bottom of the sight.

This will cause the spring to be bent, not necessarily permanently kinked (one hopes), and can cause the issue you describe.

jwperry
09-29-11, 10:01
It was kinked; I gave in, took it apart and checked.

I hope this is an acceptable fix; I just flipped it upside down putting the kinked end down into the plunger and reassembled. The 'dragging/click' is gone when tested via dry fire.

Will the repeated in/out of the sight cause it to loosen up at all? I know it has a set screw but it seemed to move out and back in this time a lot easier than when I installed them previously.

dougwg
09-29-11, 10:16
It'll be fine.

chaotik
09-30-11, 09:11
Hopefully the rear sight will not move.

However, I did have a problem once after installing a Heine rear sight that I had to fit, and it started to drift after a few hundred rounds at the range.

I used red locktite on the set screw of the rear sight and it has not moved since.

markm
09-30-11, 09:39
I hate that about S&W guns. Having to remove the sight to get to the striker block plunger and spring thingy. I couldn't believe that shit when I bought an M&P.

dougwg
09-30-11, 10:44
I hate that about S&W guns. Having to remove the sight to get to the striker block plunger and spring thingy. I couldn't believe that shit when I bought an M&P.

It's really THAT big of a deal for you?

markm
09-30-11, 11:26
It's really THAT big of a deal for you?

No. I got rid of my M&P, so it's no problem at all. When I did have it, I never removed the block. But I like to be able to detail strip the slide every 4 or 5 shoots.

And I absolutely hate the idea of moving my sights unless absolutely necessary.

(don't get me wrong... I liked the gun, but that part of it was a "WTF?" discovery for me)

C4IGrant
09-30-11, 12:30
No. I got rid of my M&P, so it's no problem at all. When I did have it, I never removed the block. But I like to be able to detail strip the slide every 4 or 5 shoots.

(don't get me wrong... I liked the gun, but that part of it was a "WTF?" discovery for me)

There really is NO NEED to remove the striker block out of the M&P.

I have pulled striker blocks out of M&P's with 5,000 rds through them and there is little to no debris in there. So it something that really is irrelevant (unless you are super OCD).

C4

DocGKR
09-30-11, 12:52
There is no need to clean the striker block on an M&P more than every 10,000-20,000 rounds, if that...

jwperry
09-30-11, 15:22

I'd be concerned about accelerated wear if I was detail stripping any gun with roll pins every 3200-5000 rounds(being extremely generous in round counts for 4-5 pistol outings).

Personally, I do find the design a bit odd, especially since I can completely disassemble a Glock with a ball point pen or an M1911A1 with no tools at all.

But at least it isn't an Hk..