PDA

View Full Version : Different approches to the same story by news outlets

CarlosDJackal
09-29-11, 16:18
Today I was surfing through the different online news outlets and came across some very blatant differences of how each reports the same story. The story is about a man in South Africa who was attacked by a Great White Shark after he ignored the warning flags. He somehow made it ashore where he was found bleeding profusely by some Good Samaritans who fashioned a tourniquet using a wetsuit. This stemmed enough of his blood loss that he lived after loosing a leg and receiving 7 liters of blood.

Fox News' headline read: "South African Beachgoers Help Save Man Who Was Attacked by Great White Shark".

CNN's website read: "Man bitten by shark ignored warning."

I found this very interesting because you can see the differing approach of the two networks. One chose to highlight the good side of the situation namely the fact that total strangers stopped to help and sought no recognition for their efforts.

While the other chose to focus on what caused the attack - the Darwinistic act of the victim who basically put himself in the situation because he may have chosen to ignore the warning signs.

This is a perfect example why I no longer choose to view CNN. Don't get me wrong, I don't always watch Fox either. But based on the way each covers what passes for news nowadays, in my observation Fox actually makes a effort to also cover and show positive stories versus CNN and the other "news" outlets. YMMV.