PDA

View Full Version : Burris MTAC Review?

Jwalker
09-29-11, 21:04
Some people got advanced copies of the MTAC in place of the hard-to-find TAC30, and there may be some others out there. Do any of those folks have a mini-review?

ra2bach
09-30-11, 11:16
the two scopes you mentioned are practically identical and you can find plenty of reviews on the Tac30. the major differences between them is the illumination changing from a push button to a rotary knob, and a separate focus ring.

I was not interested in the Tac30 until these two changes were made, but I purchased the MTAC in the advanced sale you mentioned for the same price as the Tac30 currently lists for now and I am fairly impressed.

I just ran it through a 500 rd training class. first impressions are the scope is light (13-14oz.), the glass is bright and clear with very good resolution and overall construction is, I would say, very good to excellent in a scope at this price point.

the "eyebox" is very forgiving making the scope fast to align, the illumination is daylight visible in the conditions I ran it in (but my testing this day was mostly with the illum off to see if it made a difference), and the reticle works very well for the short range/CQB type of drills we did. it has a "European" fast-focus type of adjustment but I'm not convinced of the advantage of that unless you were going to be trading weapons with another person.

I kept it on 1x except for some 25 yard "head-shot" drills and the reticle design (which is basically a circle with a cross inside - the lower stadia made up of progressively smaller dots for elevation holds) is excellent for this type of shooting. I did not test it any further than 25 yards but plan to do so asap.

this scope is head and shoulders above other "entry-level" optics I have tested like the Millett. at $300, it was a no-brainer. at it's current $400, I might not have been tempted to purchase it without some hands-on to see just how good it was but I'm glad I did...

for reference I had a Millett DMS (bought for proof-of-concept but since sold) and a SWFA SS1-4 with T-post reticle and I used them interchangeably that day. without any other testing to confirm this, my impression is that the MTAC is "faster" and more suitable from 0-300 yards while the SS would be better for 25 yards and out to as far as you can shoot a 1-4...

hope this helps. if not, ask and I'll see if I can answer your specific questions...

Jwalker
09-30-11, 12:30
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'm aware of the similarities to the TAC30, but I have the same issues with it that you did, so I'm waiting. If I understand the marketing, the MTAC is due to be released formally in 2012, presumably when the TAC30 have been sold down a little, with the special sale because the TAC30 was unavailable.

Can you comment on the illumination switch and the power adjustment, please?

ra2bach
09-30-11, 12:58
illum switch is angled up slightly from horizontal and has off positions between each intensity setting - very nice. it is aggressively knurled but stiff enough that it did not change positions at all being slung all day in a 2-point sling. battery cap which sits on top of that is beveled with checkering - well thought out...

power change ring goes from 1x to 4x in less than 180 degrees. it is knurled but still a little slippery to my fingers. I contacted Charlie Dressel and he says he has a power change lever (CatTail?) coming out any day now. I would recommend it.

he will email me upon availability so I'll update the thread when that happens...

Jwalker
09-30-11, 21:50
Any idea yet of battery life and daytime visibility?

ra2bach
10-01-11, 02:40
some folks have described full intensity as "nucular" bright but I did not have it turned up all the way. it was visible on white targets in full sun at less than it's highest setting and I didn't feel the need to turn it up more. I would say it very much is as bright as my aimpoints at the level I use them at in daylight.

expected battery life is listed as 120-200 hours. I haven't left it on that long...

Jwalker
10-01-11, 06:40
Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

Tomac
12-11-11, 13:42
Any idea yet of battery life and daytime visibility?

Burris informed me that the Tac30 at the lowest setting is 1,000hrs, the MTAC should have similar performance.
Speaking of performance, anyone have an idea as to how rugged the MTAC is, ie: how much abuse it can withstand? Thx...
Tomac

Voodoo_Man
12-11-11, 14:33
I have an MTAC on my SCAR.

Great all around optic, ran a carbine course where you engage 50y and in then 200y-400y, worked very well. Easy switching back and forth once you get the hang of it.

I personally like the brightness adjustment of it and the CQB aspect of the optic.